New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default How do I get phone alerts? [Resolved and ready to be locked]

This isn't really a Site Issue so much as it is a tech issue, and by that I mean people should expect silly questions from a monkey being given electronics.

I want to set up my smart-phone to alert me whenever someone private messages me (to the point that I'll be switching the email of my Oots account to a new one as to have nothing -but- Oots updates come back to it). Is there anything special I would need to do on here, aside from being allowed to receive emails from here, being allowed to receive private messages from here, and turning on email notifications from here (all done through my settings)?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2017-07-26 at 08:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: How do I get phone alerts?

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    This isn't really a Site Issue so much as it is a tech issue, and by that I mean people should expect silly questions from a monkey being given electronics.

I want to set up my smart-phone to alert me whenever someone private messages me (to the point that I'll be switching the email of my Oots account to a new one as to have nothing -but- Oots updates come back to it). Is there anything special I would need to do on here, aside from being allowed to receive emails from here, being allowed to receive private messages from here, and turning on email notifications from here (all done through my settings)?
    Be aware that email notifications are not immediate. They are placed in a queue and sent out over time.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Be aware that email notifications are not immediate. They are placed in a queue and sent out over time.
    Hm... if I spend 9 hours at work, and 6 hours asleep, that would hopefully still be enough time for me to be alerted to activity, wouldn't it? I remember a user in a different thread had to turn off his because another player and I were having a conversation in the OOC, and ended up wracking up a good 20 emails to him on accident.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... if I spend 9 hours at work, and 6 hours asleep, that would hopefully still be enough time for me to be alerted to activity, wouldn't it? I remember a user in a different thread had to turn off his because another player and I were having a conversation in the OOC, and ended up wracking up a good 20 emails to him on accident.
    That's not how notifications work. You only get one when there is at least one new post in a thread you are subscribed to. Further posts do not create new notifications, unless you visit the thread.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Yeah, that should be enough time. Just don't try to reply on it to be notified in the same hour, as you might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That's not how notifications work. You only get one when there is at least one new post in a thread you are subscribed to. Further posts do not create new notifications, unless you visit the thread.

GW
    Correct Grey_Wolf_c, that's how it works if you select instant notification for a thread subscription, yes. But if you select daily or weekly, you will get one on every day/week there is at least one new update, summarising all the new updates. You don't need to visit the thread to reset it.

e.g.
    Subscribe Daily
    Day 1 - 3 new posts = 1 email summarising 3 posts
    Day 2 - 1 new post = 1 email summarising 1 post
    Day 3 - 0 new posts = no email
    Day 4 - 5 new posts = 1 email summarising 5 new posts
    Visit thread

P.S. You can also subscribe to a thread with no email notifications.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, I was just commenting on the activation time of the messages, because the player who commented about it had said he'd kept checking over and over, only to come back to our small talk. And, if it wasn't clear, I mostly want PM alerts. Just so I can ensure people have a way to summon me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

This can be closed. I've just tested what I was trying to do (to set it so that if someone Pms me, my email would get notified of it, and the app on my phone would go off in response to my email), and I've had it work successfully with two people so far. I figure that should mean it's not just an accident.

3 more people also confirm my increased sensory abilities now. I'm definitely good to go.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2017-07-26 at 08:39 PM.