New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Skype and Steam not working

As the title says, I'm having trouble with some of my computer stuff. A few days ago, I booted up my computer to find that neither of them would connect to the internet and my attempts to fix the problem seem to have only made it worse. I think the initial troubles may be linked to losing the power while installing updates before shutting down.

Skype is the one I've tried the hardest to fix and my failure has made me wary of trying with my other applications. I've used system restore to set my computer back a few day in the hope that this might reset any problems with the interrupted updates, then deleted and reinstalled Skype. No luck. All I get is a message saying 'Skype cannot connect'

Steam started out as just being unable to connect to the internet, but has now just started throwing up boxes titled 'Fatal Error' and bearing the message 'Steam needs to be online to update. Please check your network and try again' I can access the internet fine with my browsers and can't even use offline mode, so I don't think the connection is the problem.

I've also found that my firewall isn't working either and all attempts to get it to work or update have failed. I'm currently using windows firewall.

Also, Minecraft doesn't seem to be connecting to the internet either, if that helps.

Thanks in advance, this is something I would really like to get fixed.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Skype and Steam not working

As far as the firewall not working, my first thought is you should probably do a full on virus scan. Theres a non-zero chance that some malware has infected your computer and is doing a lot of damage to make you vulnerable to other malware. Plus, you don't have a firewall right now, so even if it wasn't deliberate sabotage, youre still vulnerable.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3

I scanned it (I use Avira), but nothing major came up. There were a few warnings; I'm not sure, but a look through the scan logs makes it seem like all of them are due to not finding enough memory in the processess and files, including some of my steam files and some related to my non-functioning firewall.

Does anybody have any idea what this means? Or how to fix it?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Just off the cuff "my firewall isn't working, now using windows one" I'd say you need to unistall whatever firewall you are using. Windows Friewalls hasn't gotten the exceptions set for stuff like Minecraft and Steam, it usually triggers the question when they are first activated, but if it hasn't been on it wouldn't have. Those would probably use additional ports so as not to load down the common http port 80. 80 is normally not blocked which is why you can browse normally.
    The windows firewall is usually "good enough" too. Having several running at once can cause issues.

You could go to the settings in the Windows Firewall and add exceptions manually. Should let you pick form a lsit of programs installed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I scanned it (I use Avira), but nothing major came up. There were a few warnings; I'm not sure, but a look through the scan logs makes it seem like all of them are due to not finding enough memory in the processess and files, including some of my steam files and some related to my non-functioning firewall.

Does anybody have any idea what this means? Or how to fix it?
    also, if you do have malwares, usually avira won't cut it.

if you do are worried that there's malwares, you should get free version of malwarebytes and run it (or not if you already know that's not hte problem).
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

To be honest, if this genuinely did all start when you lost power when installing a Windows update, I would be looking at a reinstall round about now. It's going to be pretty much impossible to figure out which of the hundreds of system files on there is corrupt and causing your issue.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Just off the cuff "my firewall isn't working, now using windows one" I'd say you need to unistall whatever firewall you are using. Windows Friewalls hasn't gotten the exceptions set for stuff like Minecraft and Steam, it usually triggers the question when they are first activated, but if it hasn't been on it wouldn't have. Those would probably use additional ports so as not to load down the common http port 80. 80 is normally not blocked which is why you can browse normally.
    The windows firewall is usually "good enough" too. Having several running at once can cause issues.

You could go to the settings in the Windows Firewall and add exceptions manually. Should let you pick form a lsit of programs installed.
    I get the feeling it's not to do with windows' Firewall as my normal one ran fine for several years until this happened, and because Steam doesn't seem to be blocked but throws up a message saying it can't function when it tries to start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    also, if you do have malwares, usually avira won't cut it.

if you do are worried that there's malwares, you should get free version of malwarebytes and run it (or not if you already know that's not hte problem).
    Hmm, that's unwelcome news, but thanks. I don't think it's a malware problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    To be honest, if this genuinely did all start when you lost power when installing a Windows update, I would be looking at a reinstall round about now. It's going to be pretty much impossible to figure out which of the hundreds of system files on there is corrupt and causing your issue.
    Yeah, I've already got this advice through a friend. I'm looking around for what to back up and to see if I can find the old software disks. It may take a while, as I'm not sure I installed the software on this, but I'm going to do it if I can.
    Show