Well, that's messed-up.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1084 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Are you sure they'd have the time?
    Yes, they refresh spells at dusk.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 09:43 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Ugh. It disgusts my vampire-hunting soul to see these bloodsuckers have free reign to murder people.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-20 at 11:12 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The plan is to force the representatives to vote in favour of world destruction, not just kill them. Whether what they intend to use is mind control, blackmail, convincing arguments or something else remains to be seen.

GW
    True, but drinking those who would vote 'no' will just increase the chances of Hel winning, and if Greg has learnt the fast turning spell they might be able to get around with vamping some of them and then pretending that no, really, they are on the same side.

The bonus with the priests being the ones being killed, even that phrase should never be uttered, is that they don't actually affect the result. At the moment nothing will change one way or the other no matter how many priests are drained, this changes as soon as the representatives are targeted (although I understand Greg wouldn't want to drain any before knowing what their vote would be).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

The frost giant god offered a massage. Looks like the consort thing is more than just about getting power...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    True, but drinking those who would vote 'no' will just increase the chances of Hel winning
    There are probably rules against your priest drinking the blood of [oh, sorry], and Hel's plan hinges on following the rules down to the letter.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-07-20 at 10:20 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

He might be the one that physically threw him out, but the one who ordered it has been dead for years.

GW
    A real shame it isn't him, too.
    Yeah, the exile scene left a bitter taste. I know throwing D. out could be justified and he was trying to save his people (in a pretty stupid way, though. Trying to break a prophecy with an exile? Especially a prophecy about the return of a destroyer?), but nobody forced him to be such a callous douchebag while doing it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    He offered a massage. Looks like the consort thing is more than just about getting power...
    Yes, he's obviously smitten.

True, but drinking those who would vote 'no' will just increase the chances of Hel winning,
    I doubt it, to be honest. Killing a representative probably means King Davlin will wait for their substitute.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 10:09 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #38

I think there're rules against your priest drinking the blood of the other gods' priests, and Hel's plan hinges on following the rules down to the letter.
    The guys who will vote here are not priests, but political leaders, unprotected by the rules of the godsmoot.

And as a general principle, a vampire priest drinking the blood of another priests seems to be a traditional diet and not a taboo in the OOTS world ^^
    (See Malack vs Durkon, and HPoH against the Thor priests and the entire order of stone)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

There are probably rules against your priest drinking the blood of the other gods' priests, and Hel's plan hinges on following the rules down to the letter.
    That'll just cause problems for her due to Greg's actions. I wasn't referring to Priests though

I doubt it, to be honest. Killing a representative probably means King Davlin will wait for their substitute.

GW
    True, but if Greg has at least semi-reliable access to mind reading he could potentially keep killing replacements until he had a majority. Honestly, I'm just surprised he isn't already in the meeting place.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #40

Hel: "Thrym has failed to stop the dwarf's allies."

I'm not good at this corner-case grammar, but that sounds to me like "Durkon's allies" not "allies of the dwarves." Which is an interesting emphasis. It implies that, in the back of her mind, Hel still regards Durkon as a gamepiece.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

True, but if Greg has at least semi-reliable access to mind reading he could potentially keep killing replacements until he had a majority. Honestly, I'm just surprised he isn't already in the meeting place.
    He is at the meeting place (Firmament). There is a certain degree of urgency to this scheme: Greg is powerful, but if the dwarves become aware of his actions, he will be destroyed in short order. From the moment he attacked the firmament priests, he is on a race against the clock: when other priests learn of this, they will attack and Greg will lose. He needs Dvalin to vote before then. Delaying the vote by killing representatives is against his interests.

Metatextually, too, we are on a race against time in this book. Rich is not going to slow down the action while clan representatives get re-elected.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 10:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, once HPoH stopped being 100% accurate, Greg became the next best option.
    I just wish I'd thought of "Durcon" earlier.

Yes, he's obviously smitten.
    Not the only way he's going to be smitten, if he doesn't back off.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2017-07-20 at 10:23 AM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

13. - Top - End - #43

It's sad indictment of the dwarves that their priesthood can be taken down so easily. Even worse, by undead.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    It's sad indictment of the dwarves that their priesthood can be taken down so easily. Even worse, by undead.
    Do not underestimate the power of surprise. Also, Firmament is hardly the place where you'd expect to find the most powerful priests (it's not the dwarven capital). It does have a major temple of Thor (which explains Blue Hat), but otherwise, I'd expect low-level priests. So Greg only had to make sure that the Thor guy went down (and yet he managed to outlast all others)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 10:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

Knowing that the people killed by vampires are trapped in their bodies makes this even worse.

16. - Top - End - #46

It was not "settled" by any stretch of the mind, but panel 7 last suggestion. Personally, once HPoH stopped being 100% accurate, Greg became the next best option.

GW
    Well, Phrynglsnyx was a serious contender, too. As were Nokrud and Durkula.

Though, Undurkon has won the competition, by virtue of being the first one mentioned (*leftmost, the first to cross the finishing line) in #1030.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Well, Phrynglsnyx was a serious contender, too. As were Nokrud and Durkula.

Though, Undurkon has won the competition, by virtue of being the first one mentioned (*leftmost, the first to cross the finishing line) in #1030.
    Which is why I said it was not "settled". The rest is my own personal preference, rather than attempting to guess what the overall forum preference is.

GW

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Do not underestimate the power of surprise. Also, Firmament is hardly the place where you'd expect to find the most powerful priests (it's not the dwarven capital). It does have a major temple of Thor (which explains Blue Hat), but otherwise, I'd expect low-level priests. So Greg only had to make sure that the Thor guy went down (and yet he managed to outlast all others)

GW
    One thing I'm wondering is this: Thrym, as a demigod, had at least one cleric outside his high priest (explicitly stated to be his strongest) capable of 6th-level spells. I wonder how many more a bona fide god like Thor would have?

We've also seen a decent-sized city this book that had no priests capable of casting 7th-level spells. I think that's still a very rare level of power in this world, and you can't expect folks like that to just be on scene when disaster strikes.

Man, I want to know weird stuff about the spellcaster demographics of the OOTS world more than is actually reasonable. Definitely more than needed to enjoy the story.
    Even the wind will know agony.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

We're Playgrounders, it's not exactly strange to want to know

20. - Top - End - #50

The forum culture is ironic, considering Rich's disregard for such things.

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

The last few strips were a beautifully crafted segue from the Mechane to the HPoH & his minions.

That was very nicely done.

Q
    Who appreciates good story telling with slick transitions.
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post

I'm not good at this corner-case grammar, but that sounds to me like "Durkon's allies" not "allies of the dwarves." Which is an interesting emphasis. It implies that, in the back of her mind, Hel still regards Durkon as a gamepiece.
    I think it's supposed to be "King Ask-For-The-Will-of-the-Council" guy's allies (in that he doesn't want to sign over all the dwarves' souls to Hel, and Roy & all are trying to help) since he was a Dwarf who ascended to Godhood, but it could also be the High Priest of Thor I guess.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I think it's supposed to be "King Ask-For-The-Will-of-the-Council" guy's allies (in that he doesn't want to sign over all the dwarves' souls to Hel, and Roy & all are trying to help) since he was a Dwarf who ascended to Godhood, but it could also be the High Priest of Thor I guess.
    All possible, but I suspect that it did mean Durkon, and was meant more for the comic readers than anything else.

GW

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Two quick checks: the priest being killed is the priest who exiled Durkon, right? And, as he's being killed by vampire spawn, he's not going to rise as a vampire, right?
    The guy who exiled him is dead.

25. - Top - End - #55

The bonus with the priests being the ones being killed, even that phrase should never be uttered, is that they don't actually affect the result.
    I'd have said the bonus is that when the order turns up, tells everyone what's going on and Durkula and co get confronted, there's less clerics around that can throw things like Turn Undead (which, depending on the levels of clerics around, might not affect Durkula, but could well affect others) and Cure Wound Spells at them.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    And here is his replacement receiving the message and preparing to write back (flashback).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, now I'm thirsty.

And wow. Thrym should really learn when it is time to shut up.
    He's so fortunate none of his followers are there to witness this.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I'm surprised Hel is apparently so strict about her regularly scheduled check-ins. I'd have just waited to call her until the, uh..static,had subsided. Maybe show off some of the new ranks.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post

I think you are correct.

Indeed. I edited in that piece of information. Still, I'd expect some kind of payoff for the "token can only be given freely" exposition.
    Ooh, Roy, what's that?
    Elan, don't touch--
    *grabs stone*
    *stone crumbles*

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm surprised Hel is apparently so strict about her regularly scheduled check-ins. I'd have just waited to call her until the, uh..static,had subsided. Maybe show off some of the new ranks.
    Yeah, but think how many fewer punchlines we would get if they did.

GW