New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

biggrin (Shameless Plug) 'Against Stupidity' - new horror/comedy comic

Heya folks,

I haven't been around here much lately 'cuz grad school and some health issues, but all is resolved now and I'm back! I wanted to plug a new comic I'm working on. It's called 'Against Stupidity' and it's a sort of silly urban gothic in the vein of ScaryGoRound. Note that it has cuss words, and the following intro synopsis is lightly edited.

Meet Jesse Grunwald.

He just finished two years at community college in Santa Fe. In a fortuitous coincidence, earlier this year, he got offered a four-year scholarship at a Denver university and inherited his grandmother’s estate–a vintage victorian right by the lake in south Denver. Now it’s fall, and he’s moving in. He’s prepared to balance the quadruple demands of keeping up his GPA, holding down a job, making new friends, and keeping repairs up on the undoubtedly lousy car he’s about to buy. Unbeknownst to him, he’ll have to add two more demands–taking care of grandma’s pets, and holding up his magical karmic duties as the only grandchild of the powerful sorceress Clarita Grunwald.
    Let me know what you think!
    Live via satellite...

Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!

Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: (Shameless Plug) 'Against Stupidity' - new horror/comedy comic

Oh come on, "... The Gods Themselves ..." by Asimov was a wonderful story about ... hmm, how to say without spoiling?

Anyways, I've got a bar for Against Stupidity.

Meanwhile: https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...h-the-woods-3/ -- He's moved into a house that has a cat and a bird, right? Who has been feeding them? Who has been the house caretaker? Why is the house seemingly such a mess/problem?

And, in the cover page: " But first things first–how’s a guy turn on the WiFi at this place?" -- usually by calling an ISP and ordering service, since it will have been turned off when the previous account was closed when the grandma died.

Looks like the latest comic is https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...h-the-woods-5/ and any answers to those questions will have to come in the future.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Oh come on, "... The Gods Themselves ..." by Asimov was a wonderful story about ... hmm, how to say without spoiling?

Anyways, I've got a bar for Against Stupidity.
    The quote's originally from the German romanticist and Goethe contemporary Friedrich Schiller. I'll admit I haven't read the book, Asimov is not my favorite.

Meanwhile: https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...h-the-woods-3/ -- He's moved into a house that has a cat and a bird, right? Who has been feeding them? Who has been the house caretaker? Why is the house seemingly such a mess/problem?
    I don't quite understand what you mean by mess/problem, but you meet the caretaker in #7-8.

And, in the cover page: " But first things first–how’s a guy turn on the WiFi at this place?" -- usually by calling an ISP and ordering service, since it will have been turned off when the previous account was closed when the grandma died.
    This (having an account deactivated after death) can actually (I can tell you from personal experience) sometimes be difficult to do, particular when dealing with certain of the larger companies, assuming that you've even asked for it to be turned off in the first place. It's not like they get death notices sent out. That would usually be done by the next of kin or executor of the will, who might have wanted to leave it on while their son was moving in to their deceased mom's house.

I have a friend who's still receiving zero-balance bills for a dead in-law.

And in my experience a quick look around for a router is usually a better first step than calling a telco at 9pm.

Looks like the latest comic is https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...h-the-woods-5/ and any answers to those questions will have to come in the future.
    Yeah, it's new.

One of the themes is actually bureaucratic incompetence, so I see you've already stumbled on that

I appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by Prendre; 2017-07-21 at 11:31 PM.
    Live via satellite...

Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

I've only seen the quote in Asimov; I did not know where it came from. The book was in three parts; part one was "Against stupidity ...", part two was "... The Gods Themselves ...", and part three was "... Contend in vain"

Sure enough, part one had stupid bureaucrats, part two had god-like ...., and part 3 dealt with the failure of some people's goals, and the success of something else.

(I really don't want to spoil it, it's worth reading)

Meanwhile, I'm glad to know that feeding the animals has been taken into account. And I just sort-of assumed that when the bills stopped being paid after the person died, the service would be stopped as well. No, I wouldn't expect anything from calling the company at 9 pm, I'd call in the morning.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

And, we're up to strip 7, about to see the caretaker, and we meet a parrot that seems pretty smart.

(Yes, I know, some types of parrots really are that smart.)

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Strip 9 has a map of the area, and naturally, the first street is "Exposition Ave".

Current strip is 10
    https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...-the-woods-10/
    We see a bit of the neighborhood at night. Some good stuff, some not-so-good stuff

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...-the-woods-11/

This is a horror comic, and strip 11 seems to be yelling "Vampires", especially after strip 10.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Strip 9 has a map of the area, and naturally, the first street is "Exposition Ave".

Current strip is 10
    https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...-the-woods-10/
    We see a bit of the neighborhood at night. Some good stuff, some not-so-good stuff
    Hey, thanks for keeping up!

This is based on the Washington Park neighborhood in Denver where there is in fact an Exposition Avenue, so I figured it would be cute to headline it. Really glad somebody noticed :)

This is a horror comic, and strip 11 seems to be yelling "Vampires", especially after strip 10.
    The executor of the estate is up to something too...

(note: I'd subscribed to this thread but haven't been getting the last two updates, sorry)
    Last edited by Prendre; 2017-08-29 at 08:58 AM.
    Live via satellite...

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

https://againststupiditycomic.wordpr...-rabbit-run-7/

Settling in in a new town, getting a used car, ...