New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default What do you enjoy?

I'm looking for interesting ways to spend my time. So I ask you, giants. What do you enjoy doing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What do you enjoy?

In no particular order here are some things I do for fun.

1) Riding a bicycle in quiet streets.

2) Listening to old songs.

3) Making funny faces at an infant and getting them to laugh.

4) Chocolate.

5) Stew.

6) A pint of Ale while reading an entertaining book

(The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman was a fun recent read).

7) Sitting under a tree while reading an entertaining book
    (Prisoner of Zenda by Alexander Hope has been good so far).

8) Watching Rick Steve's Travels in Europe on Television.

9) Watching Rich Trethewey fix a plumbing problem on Ask This Old House
    (watching someone else do the work is relaxing).

10) Watching cooking shows!

11) Planting Crimson Clover before the rains and watching it grow.

(I like flowers and round leaves more than lawn grass).

12) This Forum.

13) Getting and reading books.

(It's a rare month that I don't go to multiple bookstores and spend hundreds of dollars, buying books or games).

Once upon a time I was very into table top adventure (role-playing) games, punk rock, and motorcycling, but those days are gone.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    4) Chocolate.

7) Sitting under a tree while reading an entertaining book.
    Seconding these two!

Other things I like doing:

Shopping for gifts.
    I like it because it's both rewarding (obviously) and challenging - you have to come up with something interesting, within a socially-acceptable price range, that the recipient will like and that says something about your relationship. And there's usually a deadline!

Playing video games.
    There are all sorts of games, so there will be something to play, regardless of what mood you're in.

Crochet.
    It's very relaxing and you can make all sorts of cool stuff!

Baking.
    I have a dreadful sweet tooth, so I like baking cakes, biscuits, brownies and gingerbread. It's a nice way to spend a few hours on the weekend, because then you can take the products to work next week.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

*I like drawing. Simple/funny/cute things are more relaxing and fun than more complicated things though.

*Ive taken a relatively recent liking to watching Lets Plays on youtube, more specifically watching scary games I wouldnt normally be able to bring myself to play on my own. Especially if I sit there with a hot chocolate under my blanket.

*Reading is always good. I prefer it to be an actual book though, staring at a screen of some kind is not enjoyable to me.

*I like playing with my pets. The bird is less playful than the two rats, but she's more attached to me (literally wont let me take two steps out of the room).

*Video games depending on my mood. Sometimes I just wanna do something relaxing like Stardew Valley or a handheld game. Others I want to get immersed in a big RPG.

*Sometimes I like coming up with easy little word or number games for the kids I work with. I dont really use them for anything, I just like painting them.

*Listening to music and just thinking. Either brainstorming for something, or just seeing what my imagination comes up with.

*Or, just listening to music and trying to nap.

*I have a bunch of models to paint that I always loved doing, need to get back into it.

*Taking a walk can be nice, well, it was until my street got torn up for construction

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

By far, the activity which fills my heart with the most joy and love is playing music. I play cello myself, though I sometimes wish I had picked a more portable instrument. No other endeavor even comes close to the passion I hold for music.

If you do try playing music, I suggest two things: get a private tutor who is motivated by their passion, and join a local ensemble, band, or other performing group.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2017-07-25 at 03:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Not all of these are really hobbies the OP could pick up, besides reading and gaming, but here's my list.

Also, this was relaxing to contemplate and will likely make me take effort to make time for relaxing, fun things at home. So thank you for the reminder to include stress relief.
    ---
    Programming a fun, non-tedious task. Figuring out the nuances to get the right result feels like what I imagine working magic would be like.

Reading a good book (though it's been a while I've found one I really liked.)

Playing a great game that immerses me in it (though, again, been a while, plus little time for such.)

Seeing my kids smiling and having a fun time.

Doing dishes. (I don't actually like it, but it's relaxing and the act of cleaning the house feels satisfying.)

Calm, quiet time at church. (Somewhat rare due to kids.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll double down on watching cooking shows. They make it so easy, it almost feels like I could do that...And then I try and oh well. But for a moment I feel like I can! Cooking is a good way to eat time, since you learn to make more delicious or nutritious food. Can also be way cheaper then getting pre-made food.

Also, I watch incredibly bad movies. I have a soft spot for cheap horror films.

If you want a more DnD centric answer, try poking around history articles. See if you can't learn a thing or two to integrate into a DnD setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I really enjoy biking and hiking, and while there's a bit of money down for biking it's not that bad*. I enjoy cooking, particularly for other people, and while it's not really a hobby for me it easily can be for people. Then there's combat sports - I'll jump on just about any chance to hit someone with a spear if it's within my budget, and some of these options are pretty cheap.

*My bike was less than $400, it's my primary mode of transportation, and while I'm not riding 100 miles a week just for school currently I have before and a very comparable bike that I sadly had to recently replace was up for that. Plus, after two months of not having car insurance I'm pretty sure I came out ahead.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Making love

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I love taking my puppies on walks. Once when I get up in the afternoon, three times after that. I also enjoy simply lying down with my puppies, either petting them or just being next to them.

Puppies are the best, and these are my most enjoyable daily activities.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    ....Once when I get up in the afternoon...

*Yawn*

So tired. I got up at the crack o' noon.

More power to you!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Sailing. My local lake rents out Sunfish for $10/hour. You have to take a class, because sailboats are much more tricky than other watercraft, especially in strong wind, but it's a lot of fun and very good exercise.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

13. - Top - End - #13

*Yawn*

So tired. I got up at the crack o' noon.

More power to you!
    Yeah, I stay up until around 0500 here on a regular basis, give or take an hour or two.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I stay up until around 0500 here on a regular basis, give or take an hour or two.

I'm guessing that you have to for your work, but I prefer to believe that instead your "making the scene" and "living the life of Riley".

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm guessing that you have to for your work, but I prefer to believe that instead your "making the scene" and "living the life of Riley".
    I just like staying up late because I get sick in the morning.

What's the life of Riley?
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

.....What's the life of Riley?

Old idiom for "the good life" (carefree).

See:

here

and

here

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's see, now. (Take these with a grain of salt; I'm strange.)

Tabletop gaming, particularly the homebrew games done by my friends. I look forward to this constantly!

Magic: the Gathering. I'm not as obsessive about it as some, but the deckbuilding is great.

Writing books.

Writing poetry.

Handcrafts, mostly involving "subtypes of string." Crochet (of cute animals or small, comfortable items of warm clothing), preferably with medium yarn and a 4.5 mm hook. Fingerloop braiding, which is a medieval French technique for making purse strings, but the braids are useful for all kinds of decoration. Card weaving. Untangling and rolling up yarn (not kidding).

Reading webcomics.

Going on forums.

Walking randomly to nowhere in particular, feeling the air, enjoying the movement, noting interesting things . . . I can people-watch and stare at the sky for hours.

Not to be creepy, but . . . talking to little kids. They're fun people to be around.

Typing out song lyrics as I listen to them.

Making music! I won't even try to describe the feeling beyond this little summary: it's the purest joy I've ever felt.

And of course the perennial favourite, curling up with a good book.
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2017-07-31 at 03:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

My biggest hobby is the SCA. It's the only place I've found that scratches my camping itch, my fencing itch, my theater itch, my poetry itch, my research itch, my Shakespeare itch, my long philosophical conversations itch, and my role-playing itch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for things I might enjoy. Good hobbies seem hard to find; I play videogames on downtime, but I think more out of habit than actual pleasure.

When I think of what makes me most happy, it usually has to do with achieving some sort of goal. Doing well on an exam, or learning a new topic well-enough that I can actually explain it to others coherently, designing a cool dungeon for D&D, or even just running a faster mile.

But, maybe I need to hone in on a theme, here. Self-improvement? Winning the praise of friends? Being super sexy and earning the adoration of beautiful women? I dunno.

I guess I also just enjoy socializing. Especially drinking with friends. And drunken debates. And maybe drunken discussions about how to Get Rich Quick with some stupid, impractical invention idea.

Maybe I just enjoy drinking. And arguing. But mostly drinking.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Crushing my enemies. Seeing them driven before me. Hearing the lamentations of their women.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I sympathize, but I have trouble understanding it. I have always had the opposite problem.

How do I find time for my hobbies when fencing practice takes me away from D&D, which takes me away from reading science fiction, which takes me away from movies, which takes me away from fantasy novels, which takes me away from poetry, which takes me away from research, which takes me away from the internet, which takes me away from camping, which takes me away from comic books, which take me away from biking, which takes me away from ...

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomePirate

Lift Weights
    Cut and polish rocks, opals and jade mostly
    Silversmithing
    Paint miniatures (40k and bolt action)
    Grow and collect exotic fruit trees
    Medieval armed and armored combat(SCA)
    Brew mead and wine
    Play computer games
    Make RPG campaigns that I never get around to playing

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Country music
    A good book
    Studying history
    Exercising
    Working on my novel

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    My biggest hobby is the SCA. It's the only place I've found that scratches my camping itch, my fencing itch, my theater itch, my poetry itch, my research itch, my Shakespeare itch, my long philosophical conversations itch, and my role-playing itch.
    I also like the SCA but I find myself forgetting about it when there's not an event . . . what sort of stuff do you do when there's nothing going on?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

walking through the lonely city in the dark with headphones and some good music
    exercise
    watch social movies
    hang out with friends
    draw
    sing (I adore that)