New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Good Story-Based Webseries/Podcast?

My natural style as a DM leans heavily towards the dungeon crawl. I want to be a bit more versatile though, so I'm looking for good examples of story-based games to give me an idea of how that goes. YouTube, podcasts, etc...
    Preferably D&D, PF, or something similar.

And when I say "Good", I don't mean production value or acting.

Any recommendations?
    Carpe Testiculum

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Good Story-Based Webseries/Podcast?

As far as podcasts go I am a fan of the Adventure Zone (do not look to it for any rules accuracy though) and Crit Juice. I don't really watch games on YouTube though so I cannot help you with that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, there is Critical Role, which features several professional voice actors, which adds a lot of quality to the podcast. And Mercer's world-building is more focused on story and the world rather than the dungeon-crawling aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I listen to, and would recommend:

Drunks & Dragons podcast, by Geekly, Inc - Started with 3.5, then transitioned to 4e, then 5e.
    It's a Long Story podcast, by the Trinity Force Networks - Started with pathfinder, then transitioned to 5e.
    Godsfall, Divine & Conquer podcast - 5e custom world.
    Cthulu and Friends podcast, by Geekly, Inc. - not a D&D podcast, but is a d20 RPG.

My sister is a huge fan of Critical Role, but the episodes are so long (and Youtube-based) I've never gotten into it - I'm an audio podcast hound due to the nature of my work.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I'm an audio podcast hound due to the nature of my work.
    I drive for a living, so I'm always looking for something I can listen to. When I find something good it no longer feels like I'm working.

I'm about 20 episodes into critical role. They spend a good amount of time with minis on a grid. I'd say Mercer's campaign is balanced so far. I should've phrased it "story-heavy". I basically want to hear the opposite of what I do which is combat-heavy.
    Carpe Testiculum

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Atarax View Post
    I'm about 20 episodes into critical role. They spend a good amount of time with minis on a grid. I'd say Mercer's campaign is balanced so far. I should've phrased it "story-heavy". I basically want to hear the opposite of what I do which is combat-heavy.
    All of those four are very story heavy. Drunks & Dragons does normally have at least one encounter per episode, but the others will occasionally have all-story episodes, usually due to diffusing the situation, or figuring out the puzzle. Godsfall gets very story driven near the most recent episodes, as they actually split the party into three groups for a bit, which was neat - it had a very Game of Thrones feel.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

How serious do you like your games? Campaign is incredibly funny, but some people get frustrated when they make things way more complicated for themselves than they need to be in the name of comedy.
    Last edited by solidork; 2017-07-21 at 02:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    All of those four are very story heavy. Drunks & Dragons does normally have at least one encounter per episode, but the others will occasionally have all-story episodes, usually due to diffusing the situation, or figuring out the puzzle. Godsfall gets very story driven near the most recent episodes, as they actually split the party into three groups for a bit, which was neat - it had a very Game of Thrones feel.
    I've listened to Drunks & Dragons. I think it was...shadowrun? I don't remember why I stopped, but I will check these out. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    How serious do you like your games? Campaign is incredibly funny, but some people get frustrated when they make things way more complicated for themselves than they need to be in the name of comedy.

A little bit of humor makes an adventure listenable. Too much makes it so I can't take it seriously. For the purposes of my story heavy education, I'd say I'm not picky. As long as I can get an idea of how a good DM structures an adventure without dungeon walls. Take those walls away, and I start sweating.
    Edit: I just read the description of one shot.

"If CAMPAIGN has a goal, it’s to show how character-driven storytelling can positively impact all classic elements of long-form analogue gaming, and turn out a compelling and entertaining narrative."

Sounds good 👍
    Last edited by Atarax; 2017-07-21 at 08:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atarax View Post
    As long as I can get an idea of how a good DM structures an adventure without dungeon walls. Take those walls away, and I start sweating.
    Kat Kuhl (the GM for Campaign) is a freaking master at adapting your plans when your players do unexpected things.