New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​II: I Am The Night!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Did you miss the part where I told you that you can't add RHD after you add class levels? That was important.
    Are you saying I can't have both at the same time or simply talking about the order in which I add them? If the latter, the order doesn't matter to me, I am simply considering the finished product, I will add them in whatever order is allowed, the order in which you add them should not affect CR. If the former, the guy in charge disagrees.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    Are you saying I can't have both at the same time or simply talking about the order in which I add them? If the latter, the order doesn't matter to me, I am simply considering the finished product, I will add them in whatever order is allowed, the order in which you add them should not affect CR. If the former, the guy in charge disagrees.
    I see. I thought you wanted to add them after. Everything is fine.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

she says hit dice increase first then the class you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    she says hit dice increase first then the class you want.
    You know, Khadgar, you seem to have this thing where you randomly assume people are female.

Not that I mind, but I'd like to know why you do that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

You know, Khadgar, you seem to have this thing where you randomly assume people are female.

Not that I mind, but I'd like to know why you do that.
    sorry tiri in my mind name sounds like female every time? my bad.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

sorry tiri in my mind name sounds like female every time? my bad.
    I don't really mind. I was just curious.

7. - Top - End - #37

RogueGuy

I don't really mind. I was just curious.
    Maybe he just uses random pronouns, why should the male one be the default?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Maybe he just uses random pronouns, why should the male one be the default?
    I would think the default pronoun on the Internet is 'they', unless someone has an avatar that suggests a specific gender.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Inevitability, the table code is broken by an errant t in a [/td] tag at level 15. Could you fix it in the OP, please?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

I would think the default pronoun on the Internet is 'they', unless someone has an avatar that suggests a specific gender.
    Funny. Iīm using the mobile skin for this forum and that doesnīt show custom avatars, the gender signs or location entries, and "they" is the rudest form to address someone in my native language.
    (Come to think on it, Iīm actually quite irritated that the mobile skin still parses pictures, especially the whole spam some people put in their footer)

@Topic:

How important is it to create a full 20 CR build? What I have in mind has a very low "sweet spot", so Iīd end up with the same situation to "pad out" with more RHD.
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-07-23 at 12:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

It's necessary that your build be CR 20. Even if it has a low sweet spot, you still advance up to CR 20. You can use acquired templates or whatever you like to fill the gap.

Ninjas are always fun. Might have something for this.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

On the topic of rhd and cr, I calculate it like this: let's say a certain type advances 1 cr for every 3 rhd. By adding any value from 1 to 3, cr increases by 1. By adding any value from 4 to 6, cr increases by 2, etc.

To me, it is the easiest way to make sure all things are accounted for, nothing seemingly added on without cost, and most importantly, isn't bait for score damage.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Ywv View Post
    Seriously, though, I am not a certain other person back from wherever banned members go. I just thought his name was interesting, and I didn't have to look far for avatar material once I decided to use that.
    Hate to break it to you, but Yklikt wasn't banned. Why would you assume that?
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Funny. Iīm using the mobile skin for this forum and that doesnīt show custom avatars, the gender signs or location entries, and "they" is the rudest form to address someone in my native language.
    (Come to think on it, Iīm actually quite irritated that the mobile skin still parses pictures, especially the whole spam some people put in their footer)

@Topic:

How important is it to create a full 20 CR build? What I have in mind has a very low "sweet spot", so Iīd end up with the same situation to "pad out" with more RHD.
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your native language so I can be smarter about things from a global perspective around some of my more gender advocatey friends?

A low sweet spot is awesome. I think alot of these comps skew towards high level play, which mucks up the drag and drop nature of the villains for DMs who mine this competition for villains to use. Finish your 20 CR though, Judges will pillory you. Look for some acquired templates to plop on and then justify them with backstory.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just remember, you can't advance a creature with RHD after the first class level. A fair number of builds have been penalised for that in the past.
    This is also how I did RHD advancement + class levels for my entries and the admittedly few games that I ran.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but Yklikt wasn't banned. Why would you assume that?
    They're talking about Ywvbevlin, a person who was banned from the forum a while back. At the time, they were suspected of sock-puppeting Novolin, because Novolin joining the forum and immediately jumping in to judge VC came immediately after Ywvbevlin was informed that they could not be both a judge and participant because derrrrrrr, along with some seemingly significant similarities in their writing style (including a striking similarity in their judgement format that no other judges shared, and the same misspelling of one of the categories to be judged). Since Ywvbevlin was banned and Novolin was not, I kinda assumed at the time that the mods had looked into it and determined that Novolin and Ywvbevlin weren't the same person on multiple accounts as best they could figure.

Of course, the interesting thing to me about their account being "inspired" by Ywvbevlin's as they've stated is that Ywvbevlin, to my knowledge, was never accused of being a troll - that was Novolin and Yklikt, not Ywvbevlin. No, ol' Ywv' was accused of (if anything) being too incompetent a judge for their judgement to be counted, even by the usually-low standards of internet elf-game competitions, and even that was less an accusation of Ywvbevlin (which implies a particular person being accusatory) as much as a group consensus that her judgement and response to arguments/criticism was far less thorough, knowledgeable, and professional that was desired for even a competition with so little at stake.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Did you miss the part where I told you that you can't add RHD after you add class levels? That was important.
    Was there a rule or contest ruling that forbids this that I missed? I do know that I'd ding it as a judge without a solid reason (i.e. there are some monsters that have special rules for gaining RHD).

Also, in regards to adding RHD and increasing CR. When I judge, I go with the more strict option. If you have 4 RHB and are adding some RHD that increase CR by 1 for every 4, then I read that as increasing the CR as soon as you add that first additional RHD. So no, you couldn't add 3 RHD with no CR increase.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​II: I Am The Night!

I am so down for this!

...after a year or so in the chair, really looking forward to getting an entry in!

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Inevitability, the table code is broken by an errant t in a [/td] tag at level 15. Could you fix it in the OP, please?
    I fixed that in the last comp, but as it's currently locked, I'm guessing it couldn't be copied.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm fairly certain there are forums (fora?) where the subculture deems it acceptable, funny, or even awesome, for banned members to blatantly waltz back in. I don't think this place belongs to that kind of forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Was there a rule or contest ruling that forbids this that I missed? I do know that I'd ding it as a judge without a solid reason (i.e. there are some monsters that have special rules for gaining RHD).
    The relevant rules quote is below.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Improving Monsters
    Note that if a creature acquires a character class, it improves according to its class, not its type.
    Last edited by Tiri; 2017-07-23 at 08:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

The relevant rules quote is below.
    Do you happen to know what section that is in?
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

People, I have a bad feeling about the whole Ywv/Ywvbevlin debate, and would like to see it ended.

Even if they are the same person, that would make Ywv's only crime returning under a different name, which is mod business and not competition business.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I am so down for this!

...after a year or so in the chair, really looking forward to getting an entry in!
    Happy to hear that; you just enjoy yourself. You deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I will. Thank you for pointing it out.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Do you happen to know what section that is in?
    MM, Chapter 4, Improving Monsters, Monsters and Class Levels, as well as Increasing Hit Dice subsection.

Itīs a bit oddly phrased, as it concerns how to handle it when having both, RHD and Class HD.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your native language so I can be smarter about things from a global perspective around some of my more gender advocatey friends?

A low sweet spot is awesome. I think alot of these comps skew towards high level play, which mucks up the drag and drop nature of the villains for DMs who mine this competition for villains to use. Finish your 20 CR though, Judges will pillory you. Look for some acquired templates to plop on and then justify them with backstory.
    Edit: OT.
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-07-24 at 05:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: out of topic stuff
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    MM, Chapter 4, Improving Monsters, Monsters and Class Levels, as well as Increasing Hit Dice subsection.

Itīs a bit oddly phrased, as it concerns how to handle it when having both, RHD and Class HD.

High german as well as the bavarian subset of it. You might have noticed that I tend to use a lot more capital letters that is usual with the english language and I have a bit of a hard time with apostrophes.
    Thatīs because those carry a lot of context in the german language, like announcing when I use a word in the formal, non-gendered "high german" sense, despite what that word is used for in "low german". Taking Jormengard as an example, it wouldn'tīt matter whether I wrote "... despite what He said..." or "... despite what She said...", the usage of the capital letter always announces that this word is to be understood as a formal reference to the person, devoid of any gender implications. The bavarian dialect is heavily influenced by french and italian, so my third option is "... despite what`S said...", which will have a similar result. Usage of "they" is reserved when talking about things and animals as itīs a non-gendered in "low german" that clearly shows not being respectful by avoiding to use the "high german" formality rules.
    sorry Florian but i got a starfinder Iseph flash back so can we get this in to another treat before inevitability smites all of us due rail roading the threat
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2017-07-24 at 09:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Improving Monsters
    Note
    Note that if a creature acquires a character class, it improves according to its class, not its type.
    Here's a thought.
    If your type changes after adding class levels, would that effectively reset the advancement order?
    Example: You're a Monstrous Humanoid, take 5 levels in Cleric, and become an Outsider. Could you then advance as an Outsider?

I don't believe it does, or even should, work that way. I've never thought about it before or have seen it discussed, so I'm curious. :)
    Last edited by PrismCat21; 2017-07-24 at 06:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

sorry Florian but i got a starfinder Iseph flash back so can we get this in to another treat before inevitability smites all of us due rail roading the treat
    I feel like I should tell you again that the word is 'thread', not 'treat'.

27. - Top - End - #57

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PrismCat21 View Post
    Here's a thought.
    If your type changes after adding class levels, would that effectively reset the advancement order?
    Example: You're a Monstrous Humanoid, take 5 levels in Cleric, and become an Outsider. Could you then advance as an Outsider?

I don't believe it does, or even should, work that way. I've never thought about it before or have seen it discussed, so I'm curious. :)
    There's no reason or rule that suggests it would work that way.

Please note however that the rule about not advancing HD after gaining class levels is clearly wrong, at least in the case of dragons, as dragons can take class levels and still gain more racial HD after by advancing in age.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PrismCat21 View Post
    Here's a thought.

I've never seen any explicit rules on this one way or another, but seeing as this would result in the creature having the augmented subtype and thus retains the features (RHD size, skill points, etc.) of it's original type, I would say its advancement by RHD stays the same as the 'quality' is still roughly the same.

Please note however that the rule about not advancing HD after gaining class levels is clearly wrong, at least in the case of dragons, as dragons can take class levels and still gain more racial HD after by advancing in age.
    Dragons are a special case, as they advance by age categories, which just happen to add RHD, not by the RHD themselves.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Which is a specific case for Dragons.
    A general rule will not fit every situation. Exceptions exist, like for Dragons.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume another exception 'could' exist for my example. As I said, I don't believe iylt should, but it might. I've not come across a discussion of it before.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

The rule is commonly misunderstood and misinterpreted as a result.

It originates from the odd way that Zero-HD races are handled. A, say, Aasimar can only ever advance by using class levels, even while being an Outsider. Same with a Human acquiring the Lich or Vampire template. It is a Zero-HD race and couldīt acquire undead RHD.