New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [5E] On the Wings of Fate: A Tyranny of Dragons Epic

Umbriel "Goldharp"
    Level One Aasimar Bard
    Umber gives Amber a look which said "I agree" and followed the rest of the crew inside. The cave air was chilly, and he grimaced as he stepped gingerly into the water. "Ugh, it's so cold! I hope this doesn't ruin my boots." complains Umber. Hearing the sound of wolves around the corner, Umber glances around the corner, then quickly moves back, deciding to give support from the back this time. Plucking the strings of his harp, he sings,

"Bartholl,
    they'll all
    be crushed
    to mush
    by your mighty
    and powerful maul!

Take wing
    and swing
    to make
    this cavern ring!"

Bardic Inspiration
    Spoiler
    Show

Using bardic inspiration on Bartholl this time, Bart gets a d6 to spend on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. He can use it anytime in the next ten minutes after he rolls but before the dm says if he failed.
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-08-14 at 12:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bartholl "Noskill" Haulowantaeona
    Spoiler: Status Box
    Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception -1

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 15 | Hit Dice: 1d12+3 | Hit Points: 15/15

Affected by: BI (cave entrance) | Conditions: None

Parrying the scimitar against the stone wall, Bartholl steps forward, chasing the goblin against his canine friends and swinging strongly with both arms, pushing aside the blade held by its small arms with one axe and cleaving with the other. As the goblin falls, one of the wolves sets back onto its haunches and prepares to pounce. Bartholl kicks the goblin body toward it, an offering of further nourishment, before taking a hasty step back to the stone steps next to Kaldrinn, keeping a respectful eye on the wolves.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    EDIT: All of this is assuming the wolves do not change positions and I will only potentially take 1 AoO from the goblin.

Attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    Dmg: (1d6+3)[8]

BA: Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Dmg: (1d6)[3]

Move forward to attack, then step back out of wolves' reach.

If either attack is between 10 and 12 I'll use the inspiration: (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-08-14 at 11:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambriel Firehair
    First Level Sorcerer
    HP: 8/8 AC: 11 Concentrating on: --

The sudden violence catches Ambriel off guard, and she takes a step back from the others. Realizing it may not be as safe back there, she quickly rejoins the group just in time to see the goblin fall. She looks at it for a moment before nodding her head once in satisfaction. "We make a brilliant team."
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

Kaldrinn snorts as the goblin swiftly meets his end via the whirling axes of the large goliath. He casts a wary eye into the small chamber and at the wolves chained there to make sure he was far enough out of their reach should they grow tired of the food scattered about on the floor. The path seems to follow the curve of the stream and heads up and around the bend. There's another cavern up above though and a bridge connecting one side to the other, we might want to keep an eye out above us as well."

He hefts his shield once more and nods to the goliath. "I think you should have a proper light source before we proceed though. Cramped spaces and sharp corners don't make it easy to keep the fire where it can help."
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambriel Firehair
    First Level Sorcerer

Ambriel looks over the dead goblin and wrinkles her nose in distaste. She steps around the goblin, pulling her cloak to one side so as to not get any blood or excess dirt on it. She looks back at her group and smiles, nodding to them in an I got this expression. Okay, Sune...grandma. Is it okay if I call you that? Anyway...there's a dog here, and I'd absolutely love it if it didn't bite my face off. I couldn't stand the scars. She kneels down and makes cooing noises at the wolves. "Hi little guys," she begins. She lowers her voice and then speaks again, "Who's a good doggie? Huh? Who's a good doggie?" She extends her hand out for the wolves to smell as she speaks to them.

Spoiler: Things and stuff
    Show

Cast Guidance on myself: (d4)[2]
    Animal Handling: (d20)[18] plus the above

Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

Wiping the hatchet of goblin gore on his pant leg, Bartholl gives a grunt and nod at Kaldrinn. "Fearful things live in shadows and caves. Most things fearful of me... but I'm a bit fearful of the dark. It's the cycle of fear," he states matter-of-factly, thinking for a minute as he looks at his weaponry. "The angel children help keep the dark away, better for Bartholl. Let's light Razor up," he adds, offering the left handaxe for the incantation.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-08-14 at 04:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambriel Firehair
    First Level Sorcerer

Ambriel doesn't seem to realize that she's sitting on the dirty floor as she pets her new four-legged friend. She looks back at Bartholl, holding up his axe, and waves her hand at it nonchalantly as she mutters a single-word prayer to Sune. The head of the axe instantly brightens. She nods her head in satisfaction. "That should do, eh?"

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

"Time is of the essence I'm afraid..." Kaldrinn reminds the group. "...Gundren's life is still very much in danger."
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

Bartholl grunts and nods at Kaldrinn again, admiring his shiny new toy in the process. Noting the garbage chute as what it is - a dead end - he proceeds further up the tunnel following the stream, crouched in anticipation but not bothering hiding given the glow emanating from his left hand but keeping an eye out for trouble.

Show
    Anything particularly notable further up stream besides the bridge? Or do I see anything down this tunnel? Probably no to both with an 8 :P

Perception: (1d20)[8]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-08-15 at 11:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambriel Firehair
    First Level Sorcerer

Ambriel looks back at the others with puppy-dog eyes (so to speak). "Can we let them go? They're not happy here..."

Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ling Jun
    Level 1 Fighter | AC: 14 | HP: 12/12

"To cage such a beast is a crime, they were meant to run free and hunt. Though I see wisdom in waiting and we do have more pressing concerns,"
    Ling Jun nods his head to Kaldrinn agreeing with him about Gundren. "And it would be a shame to return to our wagon to find your canine friends have helped themselves to a bite of our faithful uh... puller of wagons," he says with a wave of his hand temporarily forgetting the proper word he had wanted to use before he follows after Bartholl.
    LotCS Shun Ling Jun Camilla
    OOC | Doc IC | OOC IC | OOC IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

Kaldrinn agreed the creatures should be freed but he also knew time was of the essence and minutes they lost trying to free the wolves and being careful not to have the creatures turn on them could prove to be fatal.

Keeping low, he falls in line behind the large goliath as he rounds the corner and pushes deeper into the closing dark of the cavern. He makes a mental note to tick three off of the estimated number of the goblin tribesmen.

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-08-17 at 12:47 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambriel Firehair
    First Level Sorcerer

Amber's jaw drops as the others turn and walk further into the cave. She looks pleadingly at her brother. "Umber....you know I always wanted a dog. You can't let these poor things be left here and treated like this. Help me?" She grabs the chains and starts to try to pull them from the wall, desperate to free the poor animals.

Show
    Athletics check: (d20)[14]
    Advantage if Umbriel decides to help: (d20)[17]
    Add guidance to highest roll: (d4)[1]

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-17 at 10:32 AM.

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Bartholl, Ling Jun, and Kaldrinn proceed ahead towards the north, leaving the twins to figure out what to do with the wolves. As Bartholl and Ling Jun step into an unused passage to the west, hints of firelight can be seen flickering against the cave wall at the top of upward sloping passage. The passage is choked with rubble and will make it difficult to navigate the steep escarpments leading up to a small ledge and then up once more to the higher level. Ling Jun notices in the bright light of the spells illimunating the passage that the small ledge seems rather frail and too much weight might send the whole thing crumbling down upon anyone else in the passageway.

While Kaldrinn looks ahead up the stream to the bridge suspended over it, a tiny movement somewhere upon the bridge catches his attention while the light hits it before it is lost once more to the dim light of his flame.

Before the dwarf has time to investigate what he thought his eyes saw, a light and constant rumble begins in the cavern floor as the sound of water that echoed through the cave grows louder. The rumbling quickly grows to a small tremor as the cave fills with a mighty roar and a huge surge of water comes rushing down along the stream filling most of the main passageway.

Kaldrinn is the first to notice and grabs on to anything he can find in the cavern wall for support, the flame in his hand quickly extinguished. Bartholl quickly pushes himself against the wall of the western passage and holds on. Ling Jun, unable to make it fully to a safe spot in the passage is knocked hard by the water surge and is taken by the current. The Goliath reaches for the skilled archer but misses and as Ling Jun tumbles down the stream he is gripped around the forearm by a strong dwarven hand.

The twins have enough to turn around and watch the flood rush by the stone steps to the wolf chamber and out to the entrance. The flood soon subsides and Kaldrinn and Ling Jun pick themselves up, now soaked, but otherwise unharmed, from the sudden flood.

Spoiler: what just happened??
    Show

Your lights have attracted attention from somewhere and while you were dealing with a goblin and wolves, a flood was somehow released to try and rid the cave of unwanted guests.

As Bart and Ling crossed over the stream towards the western passage, the bright light from the 2 light spells briefly illuminated something only Kaldrinn glimpsed upon the bridge before both lights went out of range again and in the western passage.

Then the flood came, 2 rounds after dealing with the lone goblin and wolves. Kaldrinn and Bartholl were able to make thier Dex or Str saves. The twins were safe, and Ling Jun failed both the dex to try and get safely into the western passage and the Str to hold on to something as he was swept away.

Bartholl missed his reaction to grab Ling but Kaldrinn succeeded, narrowly saving Ling from being dashed upon the cave wall and washed outside to the first area.

So...uh...you may all proceed :D
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-08-17 at 01:46 PM.
    Airannis Ragnok Kamui Draykhen
    IC IC IC None Yet

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Amber turns and walks out to the tunnel after the water has gone by. Paying no attention to the events, she yells up the tunnel, "You guys come back! Help with these chains."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-17 at 10:11 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

Quickly dismissing the flame in his hand, Kaldrinn clambers to grab hold of a jutting outcropping of the rock wall. He grunts as the torrent of water fills the cavern and plunges by; having to simultaneously hold fast to keep from being swept downstream while also pushing off to keep from being dashed against the rocks. Turning his head to see how the others were fairing, he sees Ling Jun being pushed down the cave; doing his best to keep his hold, he reaches out and grasps the man's arm.

"Not as dumb or as ill-prepared as we thought. This might be quite the challenge..." He grunts out as the water level drops and they return to standing on the, now slick, rocks of the path. Summoning another orb of fire in his hand he rushes up the small stairs and along the path to take up a position below the rickety bridge and tries to listen or see where the goblins might be.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Produce Flame

Move 20 ft to a spot beneath the bridge.

Perception : (1d20+5)[15] to listen for sounds of the goblins.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-08-17 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Goblin re-rolling Stealth after movement = 11 VS Kaldrinn Perception of 15

Above Kaldrinn, a goblin is hiding in the shadows on the right side of the bridge. Initiative has the Goblin going before Kaldrinn and no one else yet aware there is an enemy as they go about their separate businesses.

The stream passage continues up beyond another set of uneven natural steps, bending eastward as it goes. From Kaldrinn's location, he can hear a waterfall sounding out from a larger cavern somewhere deeper ahead. A rickety bridge spans this passage, connecting two tunnels that are 20 feet above.

As Kaldrinn summons the flame to his hand once more and takes position under the bridge, he looks up to spot a goblin hiding in the shadows cast by the cavern walls to either side, and it's taking aim! It fires an arrow down at the dwarf but it breaks harmlessly against the armor.

Spoiler: Ambriel and Umbriel
    Show

SORRY! I haven't forgotten about you two. I just posted after a VERY long shift so was brief.

As Ambriel grips the spike driven into the stalagmite and pulls, she manages to move it out from the deepest parts of the rock; loosening it greatly, but still not having pulled it completely out. The wolves take note of this and begin voicing their excitement with small yips and whines.
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-08-18 at 10:41 AM.
    IC IC IC None Yet

18. - Top - End - #108

Umbriel "Goldharp"
    Level One Aasimar Bard
    Umber hesitates, looks at his sister, then at his departing companions. It seemed bad practice to disregard his new traveling companions, but... he looked at his sister again and sighed. "Oh, very well." Says Umber, and grips the spike. Just then the tunnel is filled with water. "Pfft!" Sputters Umber, surprised by both the cold and the wet. "My clothes!" He sputters again. Grumbling about the new development, he grips the chain once more in concert with Amber and heaves.

Strength check
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[7]

Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-08-18 at 11:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Umbriel
    Show

Umbriel, as well as his sister, are quite dry. A little damp perhaps, but otherwise untouched by the water surge that was sent your way. You were far enough into the wolf kennel room to be safe.

Your strength check was not enough...but since Ambriel is going to try again soon anyway....

Umbriel tries to pull the steel rod his sister had loosened from the stalagmite but just can not get a good grip with his hands made for playing the finest of notes, not manual labor. Ambriel helps him, and together they soon have the rod out and the chains freed from around it.

One of the wolves immediately runs out and down the stream to the exit, another following only halfway before it stops and looks back to the twins where the larger of the three wolves stays and waits a moment, regarding both the semi divine beings before following the others to freedom.
    IC IC IC None Yet

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

The torrent of water came quickly, and Bartholl barely made it against the rock in time, though his eastern companion had no such luck. As he was swept away, Bartholl blamed himself for another failure, feeling relief only after seeing Kaldrinn having caught him. As the dwarf rushes further upstream, Bartholl hisses, "They know we're here, in the ravine is a bad place to be. Campfires up this way." He peaks his head around the side of the stone wall and watches the dwarf from the safety of sure footing.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

The goblin had not only the high ground but the home turf advantage but that wasn't going to deter Kaldrinn. It would take more than a little splash to snuff the fire that dwarves showed for kin and friends. From his slightly protected position under the bridge, the dwarf dashes out and flings the small orb of fire up at the disgusting little creature. Even if he couldn't get the best line of sight, he hoped to distract the thing and allow his companions to get into position and assist. Once he lobs the little sphere of flame he dashes back to the spot beneath the bridge and hopes the angle make for decent enough protection.

"One here!" He calls out to his companions, he was hesitant to make much noise but the things clearly already knew invaders had breached their hideout.

Show
    Attack with Produce Flame

Attack : (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage : (1d8)[6]

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-08-18 at 01:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Umbriel "Goldharp"
    Level One Aasimar Bard
    Once Umber sees to the wolves' freedom, he looks to his sister and says, "Come on." He turns and heads deeper into the caves towards his companions.
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-08-18 at 02:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

The flame from Kaldrinn slams into the Goblin lookout on the bridge and scatters in a small explosion of embers. The Goblin growls an obscenity in its native tongue and tries to take aim with the shortbow through the loose boards that make up the bridge.

The Goblin, obviously not the same calibur of sharpshooter that Ling Jun is, misses horribly and an arrow embeds itself into the wooden board right above Kaldrinn.

The goblin is not looking too good, but is persistent to fight to the death.

Show

6 to hit for 8 piercing damage..... MISS! damn those pesky bridges....
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-08-18 at 04:29 PM.
    IC IC IC None Yet

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

From his vantage point downstream, Bartholl sees the exchange and, grumbling, steps back out into the water to assist. Tucking the glowing handaxe into his belt, he hefts one of the javelins from his back and takes a few splashing steps forward before hurling it at the little beast on the bridge with a grunt of exertion.

Show
    Javelin toss: (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]

Bartholl's getting a new pic since the other one's no longer hosted.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-08-18 at 05:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Amber pets the final wolf before it heads out and she waves at the others as the leave. She nods at her brother and heads up the tunnel to join the others.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-24 at 12:26 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

"One down." Kaldrinn yells back to the goliath following his quite impressive javelin throw. "Wasn't him that did the flood though." He warns as another ball of fire springs to life in his hand and he cautiously approaches the corner ahead. The creatures knew they were here and they had shown they liked to set traps both on the train and in the cave so who knew what other dangers lie ahead; not the least of which was a bugbear fancying himself a ruler.

Show
    Casting Produce Flame again.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ling Jun
    Level 1 Fighter | AC: 14 | HP: 12/12

Ling Jun saw the water rushing toward him, he just couldn't comprehend it. Rivers flooded from heavy rains upstream or the winter melt. This was a STREAM. In a CAVE. Those things were an impossibility. He tries too late to dash out of the way as his feet are swept out from beneath him and he fears himself about to be swept away when the sure grip of their dwarven guide saves him from a watery death and pulls him up onto the nearby ledge.

"They must have a powerful shaman among them," he suggests offering Kaldrinn a nod of thanks as he climbs to his feet. He spends the next few moments busy squeezing the water from his hair and clothing. Distracted as he was, it wasn't until Bartholl took a couple of splashing steps in the stream and threw his javelin that he finally noticed they weren't alone and that Kaldrinn had crept on ahead. Nimbly leaping over the water once more he hurries after the dwarf, keeping low in a half crouch and feeling guilty at having missed that the dwarf had been under attack.
    LotCS Shun Ling Jun Camilla
    OOC | Doc IC | OOC IC | OOC IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    LN Goliath, Barbarian 1

Drawing another javelin and keeping his eyes focused above them, Bartholl steps up onto the narrow walkway and moves forward with his companions around the bend.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Rounding the turn after the bridge, Ling Jun, Kaldrinn, and Bartholl see a now empty holding area for the water coming from a waterfall somewhere deeper in the chamber that can be heard so loudly from here that it makes hearing anything else difficult. Fieldstone rocks that must have once served as a wall have been pulled away, which resulted in the flood that threatened to wash your group away. The stream now flows unimpeded where the makeshift wall once was. While you see the natural stone steps in the incline leading around the corner to a chamber under the stream to the east, none of you can get a good view into it from your current location. Anything could be waiting for you in there...
    IC IC IC None Yet

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaldrinn Redstone
    Level One Dwarven Druid

Kaldrinn looks over the scene of the toppled dam and scattered fieldstones; a simple enough setup up but with the potential to be quite effective in the event of invaders. "Crafty buggers." He remarks, having to speak up over the noise of the waterfall and stream echoing through the stone halls all around them. "Lead on." He requests from the goliath, motioning along the path to the southeast leading up another set of warn stone stairs, and the falling in line behind them.

As the risk of seeming redundant, he summons another orb of fire and keeps his eyes peeled for more of the creatures. Someone of them must have been here to collapse the dam after all.

Show
    Cast Produce Flame.