New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker (Wet Breath of the Wild)

Many good and heartfelt thanks to my friend Pinkhaired August for the banner.

So, once more we return to the Legend of Zelda, and a lot has changed since we last played. Last time was Ocarina of Time, and since you all voted for Wisdom it's time for ADVENTURE! So as it turns out, sending Link back to the present in Ocarina of Time split the timelines up a bit, so now there's a present day that's all post Ganon take over and the hero's just up and gone. So they'll have to deal with that however they do. But that'll be for later, for now let's focus on the task at hand. The Wind Waker was originally released for the Gamecube, and shocker of shockers a lot of dumb nerds didn't like the art style. Then a couple months passed and people started actually playing the game and realized they were dumb and the game is great. We'll be playing the Wii U's HD rerelease of the game, which fixes some of the problems and changes a handful of things that we will touch on as they come up.

This'll be a 100% run, everything will be got. As I am at least half decent at this game I will actually be trying to be GOOD at this game compared to my sort of vague flailings that usually happen. Updates will be Monday and Friday as regular, though I can't 100% promise I'll hit every day since I'm starting a new job soon and it looks like it'll suck scheduling wise. But I'll do my best every time I say I'll miss an update I end up not doing so so hey. Without further ado let's get going with The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker [1] Outset Island

Video Length: 23:04

After a beautiful opening scene, we open properly onto Outset Island, a peaceful little island village. Aryll, our sister, runs up to the lookout tower to wake us up because it's our birthday! Grandma wants to see us, so let's go give her a look. After some un-intrusive optional tutorials that tell you how some of the basic mechanics of the game works within the context of the lives of these people. We do get the forced tutorial of how to do Z Targetting but given it's such an important thing and SOME people are really stupid and don't know how to grock it properly it's honestly something worth tutorializing. Of note is that this small old man's house is full of other simple Instruction Book level tutorial things which you can read at your leisure, and I think that's cool if not entirely needed. Games should have a way to refresh your memory on the controls. I can't even begin to count the number of GBA games I will never be able to play properly due to a lack of instructions.

But yes, an idyllic and happy life where we get given a job for our birthday to find some pigs (which rewards us with a cool 60 rupees total, nice) and, once we go talk to our Grandma, a nice green tunic and hat. Which given the tropical nature of this island would be HORRIBLE to wear, and the game makes it very clear this is not an enjoyable bit of clothing. But it's only for one day, right? It should be fine. We go back to the lookout to find our sister, and she gives us HER gift, and it's actually a good one! The spyglass, our first time! Spyglasses and telescopes seem like something all games should have, because there's always a need or want to zoom in on things in games nowadays, given how good they look. We quickly make use of ours to spy the birdman mailman, but...trouble is afoot! A pirate is being carried off by a giant monster bird and it's being attacked by her pirate crew and oops they hit it but now she's fallen into the forest!

This is clearly something we need to investigate, but first we need a weapon. And it's here we find the biggest change in Wind Waker to it's contemporary Zelda's. The combat has a lot more focus on it, feeling a lot more involved than Ocarina's did. It's way more animated and feels more organic, and the way your hits flow with the music creates a sort of magical feeling. It's not the best Zelda combat system but it FEELS so good. After training with the gruff old man, we get given the sword as a keepsake. Next time, join us as we go to rescue the purloined pirate and see what this is all about anyway! I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker (Wet Breath of the Wild)

Spoiler: Zodi's Gusts (1)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Many good and heartfelt thanks to my friend Pinkhaired August for the banner.

So, once more we return to the Legend of Zelda, and a lot has changed since we last played. Last time was Ocarina of Time, and since you all voted for Wisdom it's time for ADVENTURE! So as it turns out, sending Link back to the present in Ocarina of Time split the timelines up a bit, so now there's a present day that's all post Ganon take over and the hero's just up and gone. So they'll have to deal with that however they do. But that'll be for later, for now let's focus on the task at hand. The Wind Waker was originally released for the Gamecube, and shocker of shockers a lot of dumb nerds didn't like the art style. Then a couple months passed and people started actually playing the game and realized they were dumb and the game is great. We'll be playing the Wii U's HD rerelease of the game, which fixes some of the problems and changes a handful of things that we will touch on as they come up.

This'll be a 100% run, everything will be got. As I am at least half decent at this game I will actually be trying to be GOOD at this game compared to my sort of vague flailings that usually happen. Updates will be Monday and Friday as regular, though I can't 100% promise I'll hit every day since I'm starting a new job soon and it looks like it'll suck scheduling wise. But I'll do my best every time I say I'll miss an update I end up not doing so so hey. Without further ado let's get going with The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker [1] Outset Island

Video Length: 23:04

After a beautiful opening scene, we open properly onto Outset Island, a peaceful little island village. Aryll, our sister, runs up to the lookout tower to wake us up because it's our birthday! Grandma wants to see us, so let's go give her a look. After some un-intrusive optional tutorials that tell you how some of the basic mechanics of the game works within the context of the lives of these people. We do get the forced tutorial of how to do Z Targetting but given it's such an important thing and SOME people are really stupid and don't know how to grock it properly it's honestly something worth tutorializing. Of note is that this small old man's house is full of other simple Instruction Book level tutorial things which you can read at your leisure, and I think that's cool if not entirely needed. Games should have a way to refresh your memory on the controls. I can't even begin to count the number of GBA games I will never be able to play properly due to a lack of instructions.

But yes, an idyllic and happy life where we get given a job for our birthday to find some pigs (which rewards us with a cool 60 rupees total, nice) and, once we go talk to our Grandma, a nice green tunic and hat. Which given the tropical nature of this island would be HORRIBLE to wear, and the game makes it very clear this is not an enjoyable bit of clothing. But it's only for one day, right? It should be fine. We go back to the lookout to find our sister, and she gives us HER gift, and it's actually a good one! The spyglass, our first time! Spyglasses and telescopes seem like something all games should have, because there's always a need or want to zoom in on things in games nowadays, given how good they look. We quickly make use of ours to spy the birdman mailman, but...trouble is afoot! A pirate is being carried off by a giant monster bird and it's being attacked by her pirate crew and oops they hit it but now she's fallen into the forest!

This is clearly something we need to investigate, but first we need a weapon. And it's here we find the biggest change in Wind Waker to it's contemporary Zelda's. The combat has a lot more focus on it, feeling a lot more involved than Ocarina's did. It's way more animated and feels more organic, and the way your hits flow with the music creates a sort of magical feeling. It's not the best Zelda combat system but it FEELS so good. After training with the gruff old man, we get given the sword as a keepsake. Next time, join us as we go to rescue the purloined pirate and see what this is all about anyway! I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time.

Alright, so first of all, it's Link's birthday and its my birthday so I can't be happier at the coincidence. I actually forgot Link's birthday was at the start of this game, so its one of those happy surprises from a game I didn't think had anything left to surprise me with. So an excellent birthday gift, thank you Zodi. <3 Let's give you a style point for this actually!

Needless to say, I've played this game quite a bit. I even at one point started work on a custom map that combined all the maps that could be found in the game (charted or on a wall). As always, I'll be tabulating the poor enemies that you slaughter, and all the treasures that get wasted or eaten by the seas. But only ones we can see, of course, or that wouldn't be fair! I'll also make an attempt to review more dungeons than the first 3, which might be easier in this game, or might not be who knows? All I know is that my average is 3 per game before life or inspiration fails me, so we shall see how it goes. Wonder Wombat Powers Activate!

---

So let's get started. I like that the first thing we hear is water tumbling onto a shore. It just sets the mood of the game perfectly...also this movie has my favorite intro story. It's just done really pretty.

Tahiti Outset Island - A Magical Place...

"BOOOOOOOOOOY!" Woah, voice acting in a Zelda game?!

"Look how tall the grass has gotten!" Literally cant see anything through all of the grass. Hoping Link doesn't have pollen allergies...

This pig is mine now...and then you immediately drop it in 'surprise' the first time kokiri old man yells at you from a roof. Oh you mention that right after oops...well I'll keep this in here anyway...

Oh neat I didn't know about the first person view! Pretty cool...trying to think of the uses but I'll just watch and see instead!

How dare you task me with a job on my birthday... *throws pig into her face* Though she did give you 20 rupees for an easy job...so win!

I'm marking 15 rupees missed - one behind trees, one on top of well for now. I'm sure you get the yellow rupee behind the trees, and likely the other one, so if you go and get them I'll subtract them that episode! Speaking of which, is this the first time Yellow Rupees are a thing? I'm gonna have a lot of trouble telling whats Yellow and what's Green.

I actually preferred the blue shirt as well. Even though I love Link's iconic look, there was something about that Lobster. As for Link's other present, I tend to agree. Spyglasses are cool.

Carp-enter. Seems a little fishy to me...either way, you do the tutorial well. I've seen a lot of people have trouble doing those commands consistently and getting knocked on their but by Orca. Speaking of names, I hope you showcase what people's names are on the island like you did in Skyward Sword.

The return of the roll ending! YES!

EPISODE 1 KILL TALLY!

Nothing save a few pots... (poor Sturgeon)

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees - 15 (for now)
    Lost Rupees (theft, overflow, ect.) - 0

Temple Analysis
    None so Far!

The Wind Waker
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 1)

Spoiler
    Show

No kills.

Total Things Dead - 0

1st Place - No.
    2nd Place - Uh uh.
    3rd Place - Move along.

Total Style Points - 1

Total Missed Rupees - 15
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker (Wet Breath of the Wild)

Huzzah, new thread!

Huh. I wasn't expecting this one, but it's a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to it. I've never actually played Wind Waker, but I find the style extremely charming.

Not much to say about this first video besides the fact that they've done a pretty good job at integrating tutorials (and rewarding you for them). The island doesn't seem too empty or crowded, either.

...you probably should have chosen any other place to run your head into the wall, though. Upstairs isn't going to be happy you knocked all his pots off the walls, again.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #4

She's saying "hooooi" not boy, cause it's the greeting

Oh, ohohohooo...don't worry. We'll get well acquainted with the NPC names. This IS a 100% run after all, and all that entails.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

She's saying "hooooi" not boy, cause it's the greeting

Oh, ohohohooo...don't worry. We'll get well acquainted with the NPC names. This IS a 100% run after all, and all that entails.
    Oh...totally always thought that that was a Bu, not a Hu sound. Either way, voice acting in a recognizable way. I suppose there's also Navi....but listen, I don't count her. Look, I'll be better. I'll watch out for more voice acting.

I figured, but I figured it didn't hurt to mention, since it was so well done with the explanations you did. It's too bad I didn't think of style points back then...

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought it was an 'Aiiiiiii....' sound, with Aye is this version of Link's canonical name. This makes the siblings Aye and Aryll. Also Aye suits this link as he's going to be a sailor hero. Now I want to start a new Spirit tracks and name Link "Chuu"...

I'm pretty well spoiled on most of the story of Wind Waker, but I haven't seen it played before, so this'll be fun to watch. The village is bright, colourful and fun and I love all the little touches. Link's Birthday presents aren't really the best: a loan of a telescope from his sister, some old fashioned clothes suited for cooler climates from his grandmother, a sword from an old man he's only met today, a job from his neighbour and a giant bird with a kidnapped pirate from the Forces of Darkness.

I'm looking forward the next part, where clearly Link will be grateful for all the presents and everybody sits down for the cake!
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me, or do the characters have drop-shadows? Most noticeable in shade, especially the bit at the start where Link is sleeping (in the close-up). Looks odd, like they're pasted in on top of the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Is it just me, or do the characters have drop-shadows? Most noticeable in shade, especially the bit at the start where Link is sleeping (in the close-up). Looks odd, like they're pasted in on top of the environment.
    Drop shadows just work better from a mechanical standpoint when it comes to game media. There's some light platforming in this game and it helps a ton. It's more obvious how vital it is in a game like Mario, but it's still worth keeping in mind even for this.

Sometimes you must sacrifice perfect artistic mastery in order to make yon game playable.

That being said I don't actually think Wind Waker HAS drop shadows. It has regular shadows, and I think what you're seeing is residual fuzziness due to this being an HD remastering/remaking.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-07-24 at 09:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Drop shadows just work better from a mechanical standpoint when it comes to game media. There's some light platforming in this game and it helps a ton. It's more obvious how vital it is in a game like Mario, but it's still worth keeping in mind even for this.

Sometimes you must sacrifice perfect artistic mastery in order to make yon game playable.

That being said I don't actually think Wind Waker HAS drop shadows. It has regular shadows, and I think what you're seeing is residual fuzziness due to this being an HD remastering/remaking.
    I don't mean "drop shadow" as in "circle on the ground below the character". I mean "behind the character relative to the camera, not necessarily on the ground". It's almost like an outline.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

I don't mean "drop shadow" as in "circle on the ground below the character". I mean "behind the character relative to the camera, not necessarily on the ground". It's almost like an outline.
    Oh. I mean I don't recall that being how the shadow works but I'll check to be sure. I don't believe that's how it works though.

And yeah a quick look at the video shows this is not the case. The shadows are determined by the actual deterministic position of the sun in game, which is why it changes as we play because we move relative to the sun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome. An underrated title that's getting more love nowerdays. Not sure how I can really participate though. The whole 'counting things' bit has been done. Part of me wants to play ahead and challenge you to a race on various segments to see if you can beat my times, but I have no recording equipment of my own, so I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Also, I'm no speedrunner and haven't played the game in years.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. I mean I don't recall that being how the shadow works but I'll check to be sure. I don't believe that's how it works though.

And yeah a quick look at the video shows this is not the case. The shadows are determined by the actual deterministic position of the sun in game, which is why it changes as we play because we move relative to the sun.
    5:25 - 5:27, and also Link's leg at 5:31. And generally when in an area shaded by something else. Unrelated to the direction of shadows/sun, just the camera angle. Characters just sort of pop out, with that little bit of shadow just outside the edge plus illumination at the edges of the visible model, regardless of where the light's actually coming from.

I dunno, it just jumps out at me. Does nobody else see this?
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-07-24 at 10:16 PM.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Awesome. An underrated title that's getting more love nowerdays. Not sure how I can really participate though. The whole 'counting things' bit has been done. Part of me wants to play ahead and challenge you to a race on various segments to see if you can beat my times, but I have no recording equipment of my own, so I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Also, I'm no speedrunner and haven't played the game in years.
    I mean you can contribute to the thread in the having fun and posting about appropriate to the action on screen based nonsense. Wombat is going balls to the wall intense with this because he's one of the few people I know that genuinely loves Zelda as much as I do and he also really loves counting just in general.

Sometimes it's fun to just kick back and be like "man this is a good opening, you were kind of funny and on point in this one Zodi" and let it ride. Or you talk about shadows and the weird dark fuzziness that sometimes shows up due to the HD resolution thing like Qwerty is.

Anyway lets focus on the fact that I didn't mention any NPC names like has been mentioned, and I'll be doing my best to correct this in the future. Because every island (spoilers there are more than one island in this island adventure game) has a ton of NPCs and some of them follow themes are sub themes and all of them are pretty cool.

Outset Island's a bit more basic in that aside from Sturgeon and Orca, there isn't really a theme. They're just regular folk havin' a regular time. Abe (the pig hunter) and his wife Rose (the pig wanter) are the island's only couple, and their sons are Joel and Zill, the snotbaby and stickbaby respectively. These two kids actually showed up in Minish Cap, though not their parents.

Mesa, the gardener man, is neat in that he's a good example of how characters actually have different cycles on what they do based on the time (though this is something we'll deal with later) and Sue-Belle is the pot carrying lady. Mesa is just kinda here and Sue-Belle is Sturgeon's grand-daughter, which means Orca's her uncle. Neat. Sturgeon and Orca are both named after sea life, but beyond orca's being quite violent like the man himself I don't see a real reason why they're named that.

I'll do more of these later by the way, but note that I won't do them all IMMEDIATELY for specific reasons. Specific reasons involved with infamous questlines that are A Thing, perhaps. You'll see. Unless you know what it is in which case "you know".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am so glad to have my regular dose of Zodi Zelda back. It feels like it's been years since we finished OoT. *checks* okay a little bit less than a year, OoT was finished in September 2017, but that's still 10 months! I guess what I'm saying is happy to have you back :)

Wind Waker is a game I have mixed feelings on. I actually love the game itself. Its design, its story, the gameplay... all spot on. I will admit I was not a huge fan of the art style at first. I was a teenager when the game was first announced, and yes I was one of those obnoxious teenagers on the internet complaining that we should have gotten a whole game in the style of the tech demo they released for the Gamecube early on. In retrospect... that wound up getting us Twilight Princess which is one of my least favorite Zelda games. The art style also grew on me, and has aged far better than any of the 'realistic' games of the era. Lesson of the day: Teenagers are dumb yo, don't listen to them.

That said I did have a legitimate complaint about the game, and that is the treasure hunting. It is my understanding this got better with the HD remake, but I haven't played since Gamecube days, so am looking forward to seeing if this is legitimately less annoying or not. But we'll talk about that when we get there.

As far as this episode specifically, I am reminded that I love this island and almost all of the people on it. Also the whole setup for the game's plot... you're celebrating your birthday when suddenly a Pirate Ship chasing a woman being carried away by a bird results in a woman falling from the sky and you have to go rescue her. I mean just look at that sentence! Is this real life? Of course not, real life cannot possibly be that awesome!

Okay I'll stop now.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Woot! More Zelda! And one of my favorites in the series!

FYI: If you beat the game, you can do a 'new game plus' version which keeps the blue shirt. The outfit your grandmother gives you is invisible, and it makes an 'emperors new clothes' reference about it. You can also understand Ancient Hylian and anyone who speaks this language, instead of seeing hieroglyphic scribblings, actually has readable text.

So, this game. It's got a mixed reputation, and part of it is with good reason. There's a *LOT* of 'dead time' sailing between islands (although something you get later on helps with this). I like this because it gives you a break from the action and lets you relax for a bit (except in some areas where sailing can be exceptionally dangerous). I foresee many hours of cut/sped up video as Zodi goes from island to island. Cell shaded graphics were a hotly debated topic for its day, and a lot of people didn't like them. I am not among those people. I'll also be doing reviews of dungeons as we come to them, and my opinions and perspectives.

The intro is great... the title is LEGEND of Zelda... and this game really sells the 'legend' part with how it started the game. It is clear that MANY generations have passed since the events depicted in the legend we are told, and this sort of literary distance is a great example of something this game did right.

Obviously, your starting town is a large tutorial section, teaching you various mechanics that you will need to know to progress through the game, and a way to earn rupees. Honestly, rupees aren't as useful at the moment, because other than "an item" you will want "at a point after the first dungeon" that you need to purchase, you will very easily fill up your rupee bag's current limit of 200 rupees long before you find a way to increase said limit, due to some railroading that occurs. In fact, I don't think you are able to obtain the first rupee upgrade until after you at least visit, if not complete, the third dungeon. At a minimum, completing the second, but I think it railroads you to the third before it lets you go where you like. But once you DO upgrade your rupee count, you need to grab as MANY rupees as possible, because oh boy are you gonna need them by the thousands.

That's really one of my only complaints about this game: the amount of railroading and hand-holding it does is the most out of any Zelda offering. About the only thing I can say is that your companion is FAR less annoying than Navi or Fi and much less invasive as well.

Another thing I really like about this Zelda offering is that they really sell Link's courageousness. He's the Hero of Courage reincarnated, after all, he should have a pair of stones. Granted, they do so while showing that, while he may be courageous, wisdom is not particularly his strong suit. But that's not his job, his job is boldly going forward and charging into danger!

And now, we bring you to the next portion of our wall-o-text, the Equipment Guide. Here we will be discussing any new items Link obtains in his journey, and talking about how useful, or useless, they are, and how relevant the item will be in Link's journey.

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: The Spyglass
    Show

Mechanically, the Spyglass is a zoom function that lets you look around. While that doesn't seem very important, you will find it to be absolutely essential in proper navigation and finding many of the hidden things on the high seas!

This item is relevant through the entire game, as you will always be exploring new areas, new islands, and the secrets around them. Almost everything in the game can be found either on an island or within Spyglass range of an island. Frequently, you will encounter NPC's to direct your attention (and spyglass) to a particular area to discover something interesting. There's one mechanic in particular which the game does that the spyglass is particularly useful for, but we'll cover that when we get to it.

The spyglass is never outdated. There are no items that effectively becomes 'spyglass plus', and it never becomes obsolete.

I give it a 4 out of 5, and it will be absolutely necessary if you plan on 100%ing this game.

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: The Sword
    Show

Well, Link has to have SOMETHING to swing around before getting the Legendary Sword of Awesomeness, right? And at least it isn't a wooden sword, as he has been given in a few games. Plus, it isn't just some generic blade, it is a blade handed down to you by your instructor, so while not legendary in and of itself, still has a past and history and is unique. It's not just 'generic random sword 001'. And to be honest, as was demonstrated, Link is kind of a badass with a sword in this game, he's got several things he can do that make combat more interesting.

First, he's got four-hit combos with each of the methods of attacks (standing still or going forward), he's got a leap attack that we all recall from OoT, but more importantly we have the Riposte! In OOT, your basic strategy was to keep targeting your opponent with your shield up, let him bounce off of your shield, and counterattack. The Riposte will change this, because you CANNOT riposte if your shield is up. So either you rely on your shield to block attacks, or you rely on your skill to dodge and riposte attacks. I tend to the latter personally. Also, some attacks cannot be blocked with your shield, and need to be riposted. This leaves Link as less of a 'turtle' and more active in combat, which is only a good thing.

There's one more trick he can learn later on, but that's for later on.

Obviously, this sword will be replaced as you get the Super Awesome Sword of Awesomeness. But it will stand you in good stead until you can get it.

I give it a 3 out of 5, because it becomes replaced entirely later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

A general note on how lighting works on the Wind Waker:
    That's correct in this particular case ... almost.

When Wind Waker was originally released on the gamecube there were a myriad of fascinating technical aspects to it. While the game is cel-shaded and many took this as a defeat banner on the gamecubes processing power, in reality the game is actually a marvel of programming and art in terms of how it does lots of things. It's also rather demanding in terms of computing and rendering power as several techniques were pushed to the limit to achieve the aesthetic without compromising gameplay fluidity. Wind Waker is actually both amazingly coded but also the techniques used for physics and rendering are amazingly well thought out. That combined with an art direction that most would agree is a product of love and effort make for the vibrant, lively aesthetics that the game has. Among those is lighting.

Some shadows are just baked into textures, this is almost always for ridges and notches in the texture themselves and do not account for the 3d geometry of the surroudings. This type of shading might even be considered as just part of the texture for some. For example wooden ridges on planks.

Others are vertex-coloured, this accounts for why some shadows appear to be correct but missing slight inclinations (for example railings on stairs will have a "flat" projection rather than accounting for how the unmatched differences in height would create a rather notched shadow). This is mainly done for static shadows. Static shadows apply to all fixed objects such as trees, buildings, cliffs, etc.

Dynamic shadows are the product of clever wizardry and artistry. Each dynamically shaded object is visibly affected by only one light source. Light sources are ranked in relation to each object in terms of strength and distance, an object is only affected by it's highest rated light source. When a light source climbs to the top of the ranking, the shader quickly moves the shading around to match the new source (Link shadow will quickly rotate around Link's feet when moving from a torch to another for example). For most open areas the sun just has a colossal strength value. BUT Wind Waker is no slouch in terms of calculations, and if there is ANY other light source in the outside area, it's being calculated, but for most positions just doesn't have any tangible effect compared to Mr Blue Sky.
    Now, on the gamecube version, shadows were 128x128px flat images (for most characters a massive area was wasted as this dimensions were meant to accommodate from the smallest to the biggest characters in the game) that got made into decals which were then applied to the geometry of the world according to the previous highest rated lighting source rule. The way this was done had some kinks when the geometry involved angle changes (concave edges would split the decal and convex edges would overlap and have a darker line marking it).

When the game was remastered, heavy changes were made to several aspects of the lighting system. This was explicitly done to enhance the feeling of a living, vibrant world. Shading was almost completely revamped with modern shaders. This had several effects. Enviromental lighting was toned up heavily, a bloom effect was added to strong natural lightsources (almost always... Mr Sun) and the palette was partially change to accommodate for the changes the new shaders brought. The most noticeable lighting change is that shadows now will form gradients and have a much wider range of tones to take, removing some of the harsher shading effects the original had. As for the palette, some saturation was removed but the bloom effect makes the desaturated colour feel livelier from the environmental light.

On the other hand character-shaders were heavily toned down on open areas to the point most dynamic-lighting-affected-objects won't appear to have shadows on their body when a very strong natural lighting source is present (due to radiance). HOWEVER the characters still project shadows, and the combination of character shadows, with the bloom effect and the stronger environmental lighting results in the shadows being cast as much wispier and due to the angling of camera and light sources appear as if they were being rendered as simple drop shadows with gaussian blur (which is the effect Qwerty is calling drop shadow).

As a random aside. How candles and fairies and similar light-sources-that-don't-really-cast-shadows work is an utter mystery. They are able to break the "single source" rule for objects and surfaces and probably involve stencil buffer trickery. Also there are over 4420 uniqute textures in the gamecube version.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    That said I did have a legitimate complaint about the game, and that is the treasure hunting. It is my understanding this got better with the HD remake, but I haven't played since Gamecube days, so am looking forward to seeing if this is legitimately less annoying or not. But we'll talk about that when we get there.
    It got INFINITELY better in the HD remake. The remake genuinely took the complaints (or Nintendo being Nintendo, they completely ignored them but also found the horrendous design atrocities on their own and fixed them) regarding travel times, having to repeatedly realign the wind and sail, and the Geneva Convention violation that was the infamous chart section.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    FYI: If you beat the game, you can do a 'new game plus' version which keeps the blue shirt. The outfit your grandmother gives you is invisible, and it makes an 'emperors new clothes' reference about it. You can also understand Ancient Hylian and anyone who speaks this language, instead of seeing hieroglyphic scribblings, actually has readable text.
    The Ancient Hylian (known as Second Hylian in the fan community) in Wind Waker, like all Ancient Hylian text is just a font. One can do frequency analysis since it's a simple substition (in japanese though) and figure out to what character each Hylian character maps. While the NG+ run DOES translate the spoken and readable signs it doesn't translate things such as the inscription on prop signs and in weapons. Some are rather interesting (and are used as arguments that Hyrule Hystoria is but an afterthought or a cash-out seeing as how there are some references to Majora's Mask characters in this language).

So, this game. It's got a mixed reputation, and part of it is with good reason. There's a *LOT* of 'dead time' sailing between islands (although something you get later on helps with this). I like this because it gives you a break from the action and lets you relax for a bit (except in some areas where sailing can be exceptionally dangerous). I foresee many hours of cut/sped up video as Zodi goes from island to island. Cel-shaded graphics were a hotly debated topic for its day, and a lot of people didn't like them. I am not among those people. I'll also be doing reviews of dungeons as we come to them, and my opinions and perspectives.
    The HD remake removed most of the dead time sailing around (and more importantly stopping, realigning wind, restarting) by giving the boat what might as well be a motor. This was generally welcomed as a fantastic change by everyone. That and also just removing half of the abomination that was grinding the game to an almost literal halt for the hellish experience that was the charts time cemetery.

The crane speed was quadrupled, no need to equip boat powers while on a boat, they now get directly mapped to the d-pad. The baton now has it's own button, no need to equip it. It starts the moment you input the first direction rather than perpetually advancing. And the sidequest everyone failed the first time around has been given tons of improvements so you will still fail it your first time but it will be entirely your fault.

And Nintendo poked the wasp hive again when they did a massive rehaul of the lighting system. Which ironically had people claiming they had ruined the cel-shading by introducing lighting gradients and complaining that the bloom ruined the overall aesthetics making the vibrant saturated colours look washed out (and Aryll looks like a pale ghoul ocassionaly... which isn't wrong). I am not among those people.

Obviously, your starting town is a large tutorial section, teaching you various mechanics that you will need to know to progress through the game, and a way to earn rupees. Honestly, rupees aren't as useful at the moment, because other than "an item" you will want "at a point after the first dungeon" that you need to purchase, you will very easily fill up your rupee bag's current limit of 200 rupees long before you find a way to increase said limit, due to some railroading that occurs. In fact, I don't think you are able to obtain the first rupee upgrade until after you at least visit, if not complete, the third dungeon. At a minimum, completing the second, but I think it railroads you to the third before it lets you go where you like. But once you DO upgrade your rupee count, you need to grab as MANY rupees as possible, because oh boy are you gonna need them by the thousands.
    The atrocity that required those rupees is now mostly gone. The initial wallet can hold up to 500. Tingle Tuner is also obviously gone replaced by tingle statues which are hidden but you just bomb them normaly, Nintendo finally acknowledged everyone just googled those anyways and that the gba-gc adapter was a horrible cashgrab everyone hated.

That's really one of my only complaints about this game: the amount of railroading and hand-holding it does is the most out of any Zelda offering. About the only thing I can say is that your companion is FAR less annoying than Navi or Fi and much less invasive as well.
    To be fair, the gamecube couldn't detect if the Wavebird batteries were low.

And you do consider some of the more criticized parts of the game relaxing. The sailing around pestered with random enemies occasionally just being there to make you look at the screen while nothing of real note was happening wasn't exactly my idea of chilling out while playing (though not as bad as the games that followed this one in the timeline). The charts section was a massive grinding halt of the plot and an utter abomination due to where it landed pacing wise and material requirement wise. The interface was not good with a lot of quality of life details missing.

There's a reason all of this things were ripped out brutally, violently and efficiently out of the remake. Interface was heavily fixed and sailing was massively sped up.

And now, we bring you to the next portion of our wall-o-text, the Equipment Guide. Here we will be discussing any new items Link obtains in his journey, and talking about how useful, or useless, they are, and how relevant the item will be in Link's journey.

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: The Spyglass
    Show

Mechanically, the Spyglass is a zoom function that lets you look around. While that doesn't seem very important, you will find it to be absolutely essential in proper navigation and finding many of the hidden things on the high seas!

This item is relevant through the entire game, as you will always be exploring new areas, new islands, and the secrets around them. Almost everything in the game can be found either on an island or within Spyglass range of an island. Frequently, you will encounter NPC's to direct your attention (and spyglass) to a particular area to discover something interesting. There's one mechanic in particular which the game does that the spyglass is particularly useful for, but we'll cover that when we get to it.

The spyglass is never outdated. There are no items that effectively becomes 'spyglass plus', and it never becomes obsolete.

I give it a 4 out of 5, and it will be absolutely necessary if you plan on 100%ing this game.
    Something fascinating about the spyglass is how it probably contributed to some significant art-coding details. Specifically, in the gamecube version, most of the details in the skyboxes were actually vector decals. Why vector decals? Because vectors are infinitely scalable with very little processing power. To be able to withstand the spyglass, the skyboxes would have had to have a 4 times as big version for when spyglassing in. Instead, the objects of the skybox that required re-scaling were vectors that were simply resized on the fly. An example would be the stars, which were two triangles (WW stars have six points). But this also included elements like the far-away islands before they were rendered into 3d-models when you entered their visibility box (normally the quadrant they were sitting at the center of).
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-07-25 at 05:18 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

17. - Top - End - #17

Concerning islands being visible from a distance, this is improved immensely in the HD version and we'll be looking at THAT later. Suffice to say it gave me a way bigger feeling of adventure.

Also hey right the tingle tuner is definitely a thing I could use the GBA Gamecube Link Cable to Show off at some point if I got out my old Gamecube again. Hmm. I'll talk more on this in video four. Also, with regards to those statues you're mentioning, those are in the Gamecube as well, and are required for 100% so I'll be getting those, don't you worry.

18. - Top - End - #18

It's time for a nice brief Taste Of.

A Taste Of: Snake Pass

Video Length: 5:30

I'll admit this one is a little shorter than it needs to be, but I've been a little strapped for time with regards to some things and I didn't really know what else to say about the game. I also feel like mechanically it's quite challenging to show just how it "works". Also taking a break and going back to it made it feel a lot easier to control.

But yeah. Good snake game. Play it!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, yeah, those controls look kinda... overwhelming at first glance.

Looks like they're giving a good tutorial, though. Also, yeah, the game looks good.

...yep, let's just jam our face into the top corner there. I guess this is the next best thing to rolling our faces into walls.

All in all, it looks pretty cool. There's a lot of potential here, so, hopefully they can use it well.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #20

Small delay due to oops blowing up my sleep schedule.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker [2] Below Deck

Video Length: 27:57

We open this video where we left off, sword in hand and ready to go save that pirate lass! So off we go, to the fairy woods at the tippity top of the island. As we get higher and higher, the music slowly fades, and is fantastic. Wind Waker does this a lot, having ambient music that changes as you go, and it's astounding. More games should do this. Also from the top of the island we get a pretty good view of the sea, though I'm focused more on peeping the pirate ship and the forest up ahead. Once I'm satisfied with my spyglassing, it's off to the forest to face our fate. Within we find our first enemy, the Bokoblin! Blue, specifically, and quite nasty. These jerks are also pirates and are often armed with a deku stick or a giant machete, though in this case the guy's only armed with his stubby little fists. He's easily dispatched, though the lack of a shield on our part means this could of gone poorly. We venture further into the forest, and two tiny versions of that massive bird appear, dropping down two more Bokoblins for us to fight! It's pretty dramatic and I think I handled the fight well enough.

With the monsters dispatched, the pirate lady has been saved. And we get to learn that she's Tetra, leader of this pirate crew. She's not very happy about her current situation and is rather indignant despite us saving her. Ah well, it's to be expected. And as we make our way out of the forest...the bird returns. And it sees Aryll, who has the same spiked ears Tetra has. It swoops down and kidnaps her! Link...just about falls to his potential death chasing after the bird, but is of course saved by Tetra and her fellow pirates. Though it's not like we're in a happy mood about being saved either, huh? After some discussion (involving the post man rightly pointing out that the pirates caused all this in the first place) Tetra decides to take us on as her crewmate...if we can find a shield. We know where that is, but first let's prepare for supplies, with a visit to an old friend. Beedle!

So, Beedle as you may recall from Skyward Sword if you've been watching me since then, first appeared here. He's the ever lovable bug enjoying merchant, though he doesn't have MUCH personality here. He's still fantastic cause Wind Waker has a lot of good personality thrown into it's characters. We buy the piggy looking Bait Bag from him, which lets us store bait for animals, and then buy a full inventory of bait and pears. The bait lets us attract certain animals, among other things. The pear lets us take control of seagulls briefly. Both of these will get used later, but it's important to stock up on them now when we can. Another thing of note is that, it's sort of important to get a lot of rupees in this game but also important to burn through them just as fast. There's a lot of stuff to spend money on, but also a lot of rewards that get you a ton of cash. So you wanna make sure to have empty pockets if you can help it.

Finally, after stocking up, we return to Grandma's house. We get a...incredibly sad scene where we get the shield and have a sad goodbye with our Grandma. This has always made me sad, and it's made me sadder in recent years. But it's such a good moment. With the hero's shield on our back, Tetra finally allows us onto her ship. We're a swabbie, the bottom of the totem poll, but that's fine. We pass the time by hanging out with the guy directly above us, Nico, who promises us a treasure if we can beat the rope swinging tutorial in under a year. This is actually often a pretty substantial wall for some people playing the game, it can be tricky! Especially since it's timed and all that. I manage to do it perfectly first try frontwards and backwards so, you know. Our reward for this is Nico reluctantly giving us the Spoils Bag, a monster looking purse that I'd love to have in real life, that lets us store all sorts of monster bits and loot treasure. It'll be more important later.

But now we've arrived at our destination. The place the bird was taking Tetra, and has now taken our sister. The Forsaken Fortress. A nasty place of darkness, once just a simple pirate gang but now something more...sinister. We infiltrate the Fortress in one of the best scenes in this game, but unfortunately lose our sword in the process. It's time for a sneaking mission. I'm not super upset about this, because it happens at a point where we literally have nothing but our sword and shield, so we don't feel like we're losing a lot of power for an arbitrary sneaking mission. It is annoying in that, the biggest threats here enemy wise are actually really easy to dispatch, but I guess the idea is that if they see us they just call in EVERYONE from the entire fortress so we can't run THAT well. Of course, they can't force you into jail if they can't CATCH you, which is what I'll be trying for here. Our first objective is to kill the Bokoblins at the searchlights, since that'll make climbing the rest of the fortress actually possible. It's not that hard to get the first two, but the last one will take some doing and will be done next time.

As an aside, Tetra gave us a shiny sparkly stone that lets her talk to us. Neato. But yeah, that's it for today. Join us next time where we truly begin operation bird eater. See you all next time, hope you enjoyed.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-07-28 at 01:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Gusts (2)
    Show
    Small delay due to oops blowing up my sleep schedule.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker [2] Below Deck

Video Length: 27:57

We open this video where we left off, sword in hand and ready to go save that pirate lass! So off we go, to the fairy woods at the tippity top of the island. As we get higher and higher, the music slowly fades, and is fantastic. Wind Waker does this a lot, having ambient music that changes as you go, and it's astounding. More games should do this. Also from the top of the island we get a pretty good view of the sea, though I'm focused more on peeping the pirate ship and the forest up ahead. Once I'm satisfied with my spyglassing, it's off to the forest to face our fate. Within we find our first enemy, the Bokoblin! Blue, specifically, and quite nasty. These jerks are also pirates and are often armed with a deku stick or a giant machete, though in this case the guy's only armed with his stubby little fists. He's easily dispatched, though the lack of a shield on our part means this could of gone poorly. We venture further into the forest, and two tiny versions of that massive bird appear, dropping down two more Bokoblins for us to fight! It's pretty dramatic and I think I handled the fight well enough.

With the monsters dispatched, the pirate lady has been saved. And we get to learn that she's Petra, leader of this pirate crew. She's not very happy about her current situation and is rather indignant despite us saving her. Ah well, it's to be expected. And as we make our way out of the forest...the bird returns. And it sees Aryll, who has the same spiked ears Tetra has. It swoops down and kidnaps her! Link...just about falls to his potential death chasing after the bird, but is of course saved by Tetra and her fellow pirates. Though it's not like we're in a happy mood about being saved either, huh? After some discussion (involving the post man rightly pointing out that the pirates caused all this in the first place) Tetra decides to take us on as her crewmate...if we can find a shield. We know where that is, but first let's prepare for supplies, with a visit to an old friend. Beedle!

So, Beedle as you may recall from Skyward Sword if you've been watching me since then, first appeared here. He's the ever lovable bug enjoying merchant, though he doesn't have MUCH personality here. He's still fantastic cause Wind Waker has a lot of good personality thrown into it's characters. We buy the piggy looking Bait Bag from him, which lets us store bait for animals, and then buy a full inventory of bait and pears. The bait lets us attract certain animals, among other things. The pear lets us take control of seagulls briefly. Both of these will get used later, but it's important to stock up on them now when we can. Another thing of note is that, it's sort of important to get a lot of rupees in this game but also important to burn through them just as fast. There's a lot of stuff to spend money on, but also a lot of rewards that get you a ton of cash. So you wanna make sure to have empty pockets if you can help it.

Finally, after stocking up, we return to Grandma's house. We get a...incredibly sad scene where we get the shield and have a sad goodbye with our Grandma. This has always made me sad, and it's made me sadder in recent years. But it's such a good moment. With the hero's shield on our back, Tetra finally allows us onto her ship. We're a swabbie, the bottom of the totem poll, but that's fine. We pass the time by hanging out with the guy directly above us, Nico, who promises us a treasure if we can beat the rope swinging tutorial in under a year. This is actually often a pretty substantial wall for some people playing the game, it can be tricky! Especially since it's timed and all that. I manage to do it perfectly first try frontwards and backwards so, you know. Our reward for this is Nico reluctantly giving us the Spoils Bag, a monster looking purse that I'd love to have in real life, that lets us store all sorts of monster bits and loot treasure. It'll be more important later.

But now we've arrived at our destination. The place the bird was taking Tetra, and has now taken our sister. The Forsaken Fortress. A nasty place of darkness, once just a simple pirate gang but now something more...sinister. We infiltrate the Fortress in one of the best scenes in this game, but unfortunately lose our sword in the process. It's time for a sneaking mission. I'm not super upset about this, because it happens at a point where we literally have nothing but our sword and shield, so we don't feel like we're losing a lot of power for an arbitrary sneaking mission. It is annoying in that, the biggest threats here enemy wise are actually really easy to dispatch, but I guess the idea is that if they see us they just call in EVERYONE from the entire fortress so we can't run THAT well. Of course, they can't force you into jail if they can't CATCH you, which is what I'll be trying for here. Our first objective is to kill the Bokoblins at the searchlights, since that'll make climbing the rest of the fortress actually possible. It's not that hard to get the first two, but the last one will take some doing and will be done next time.

As an aside, Tetra gave us a shiny sparkly stone that lets her talk to us. Neato. But yeah, that's it for today. Join us next time where we truly begin operation bird eater. See you all next time, hope you enjoyed.

Goooooood...gooooood. give into your desires to get the green rupee.

Ulitmately, I love how much you cover combat and music. Music is often an overlooked thing that is usually done great in Zelda titles, but especially this one. And this combat system is honestly one of my favorites.

The sign says the legendary hero went to this fairy fountain...I wonder which fountain it was, since I believe the legendary hero is the one that poofed from OoT...strange...given the location this island is.

THAAAANK YOOOOU! (oh, that should be a sound effect I use on my stream!) Beedle is also in Minish Cap, don't forget! I think Minish had the most Cameos...stuff from all over the game series...yeah, you don't want to have too full of a wallet and overflow!

Well done on the yellow rupee! removes 10 from missed rupees

The Hylian crest on Link's shield is strange. This incarnation of a Loftwing has a sort of "demon" or face or something of the sort with wings for arms...it's like over time the crest of Hyrule has been morphed to look more like a rito than a loftwing, or something of the sort. And this is ALSO said to have been used by the hero...something tells me that's only a legend (of Zelda), by the look of the thing...its not even blue!

I miss my Grandma...

Zodi, nice job on the swinging challenge! I usually can get it first go, but not always. Ultimately, I've seen compilations of people raging on those ropes. So people, it is indeed a thing. I believe this area can end speedruns in their tracks...wait that's what you meant by backwards and forwards...okay gotta hand it to you that was stylish. +1 Style point

I wonder if the pirates that were there before we the Gerudo? Its a vague reference, but it would explain why we don't see them in the game - their place has been overrun.

How...did they get Link in the barrel and on the catapult without him noticing, is what I want to know? Annnnnd...Link loses no hearts from the launching into a wall...

So far so good on sneaking! I didn't remember that chest or that laser pig! Hm. See you next time to see if you get to the end of the fortress without being thrown in jail!

EPISODE 2 KILL TALLY!

Bokoblin, Blue - 5
    Keese - 1

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees: -10
    Lost Rupees (theft, overflow, ect.) - 0

The Wind Waker
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 2)

Spoiler
    Show

Bokoblin, Blue - 5
    Keese - 1

Total Things Dead - 6

1st Place - Blue Bokoblin, at 5
    2nd Place - Keese, at 1
    3rd Place - None

Total Style Points - 2

Total Missed Rupees - 5
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-07-31 at 06:27 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I understand why you are forced to do platforming and rope-swinging. It's a mechanic that will be needed later, so they need to make sure you know how to do it, but it is still kind of a pain, especially if you come back to the game after having put it down for a couple of years...

Also. We just got our sword, and now we've lost it. And we have to go through a stealth section. Mind you, I actually kinda don't hate this stealth section, although a lot of people do. It introduces some interesting mechanics which ARE going to be useful later.

Spoiler: tactical discussion
    Show
    So, I typically go up and turn off all three spotlights first, because it makes things easier for me. There's also an important item over by the Jail area, which is why I generally try to get caught at least once. But hey, props for not getting caught!

We also got a three new items!

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: Bait Bag
    Show
    So, this bag can hold two types of bait: all-purpose, and those pears. The all-purpose bait has, as the name suggests, several purposes, but there is a primary purpose to which most of your bait will go. Which we will discuss when it comes up. Suffice to say, you'll need a LOT of this if you are going to 100% the game. The pears are for... a different mechanic. One which I really don't like. Mostly because of THAT island, which requires this mechanic, because you need a thing on that island to progress, and it is a pain to do.

This is mandatory for beating the game, but only because of that one area, but there's also a ton of other valuable things you can do with it (or rather, a valuable thing you do a ton of times). It will be relevant for a good portion of your journey, but once you complete the thing you need the all-purpose bait for, and do that one really annoying challenge you use the pear for, it is never really used again.

I give this a 3/5. Clever, but more annoying than amazing.

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: Spoils Bag
    Show
    Some enemies drop certain items which are valuable to certain individuals. You don't sell this for rupees directly, however each item you can get as a 'mob drop' that go in the Spoils Bag has a corresponding individual somewhere in the world who wants them. Lots of them. And will reward you for bringing them that many.

There's one individual involved with each dropped item that goes in this bag that is mandatory for plot progression, but other than that, this bag is entirely optional. You can make some extra cash, and you can also unlock a new skill, and some of the drops can be used to make consumables, but other than the aforementioned exception, it is not required to complete the game.

We get the first one in this episode: the butterfly necklace. Someone will want these. Lots of these.

It was an interesting concept, but done a bit too heavy-handed and under-utilized in my opinion. I always felt that more could have been done with this mechanic. Oh well.

I give this a 3/5. It was an interesting idea, but fell through in execution.

Spoiler: Equipment Guide: Tetra's Necklace
    Show
    So, this is basically your 'Navi Mechanic'. And like all such mechanics, is largely annoying. Granted, there is some interesting lore about this particular pendant later on, but we aren't going into those details just yet.

While it serves no real use or purpose to the player, other than as a venue for telling you what you already need to know, it isn't something you can get rid of either. So you are stuck with it.

As far as annoying companions go, it is at least less annoying than Navi, because it doesn't constantly yell at you 'Hey! Listen!'. If there's something your companion wants to tell you, it will glow, and you can either hit A or not, which is moderately less invasive. So, on a scale of annoyance, it is this one, then Navi as more annoying, then Fi for grand-prize of annoyances.

I rate this a 1 out of 5. Less annoying than Navi isn't exactly a difficult challenge, and it is still annoying as hell.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2017-07-28 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Blowing up your sleep schedule? How could you?
    (I fully understand. Things happened, and I didn't get up until 10:30am myself. Whoops.)

Tsk tsk! Couldn't have just gone for the trees? Someone had to make that sign, you know!

I just love how, after getting the shield, there's that little awkward 'what are you doing' moment with the 'item get'.

Well, good. They're still there. And seem pretty decent for pirates. They didn't even smash any of the pots for valuables.

Flame at the end of rope... in a wooden ship... doesn't sound dangerous at all...

...okay, I guess they're still pirates. Also, that chest looks like it hurt to ram your face into.

Do a barrel ro- oh, wait. Wrong franchise.

Well, it was nice of them to drop a heart for your first time having to fight with only a shield.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Do a barrel ro- oh, wait. Wrong franchise.
    Legend of Zelda does involve a lot of rolling.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HotPizza View Post
    Legend of Zelda does involve a lot of rolling.
    Wind Waker also has a sequence where one hides in barrels between the rolling.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

But I don't think there's yet been a Zelda game in which you roll in a barrel, or move atop a rolling barrel. Which is mildly surprising, actually.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

But I don't think there's yet been a Zelda game in which you roll in a barrel, or move atop a rolling barrel. Which is mildly surprising, actually.
    Especially given all the minigames in some of the more recent games. It's almost surprising that Twilight Princess alone didn't cover it, but I suppose making the best fishing video game to date took some resources.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 1 and 2:
    oooooh! music has been made better!

I do as well but I'm not telling. though to be honest, I'm not sure why a spoilered thing? I was under the impression that its a legend of Zelda specific "It was his sled" thing, but whatever.

and rah, combat in Zelda games tend to be good, simply because its very tactical and how someone would actually use these weapons to fight with some fantastic additions for the most part, kind of like Dark souls, which I've been playing lately and am now noticing some similarities between Legend of Zelda and Dark Souls combat. in fact there are many similarities: use of proper dodging and sword fighting, puzzle bosses, skill matters more than the equipment you have, targeting, relatively little hand-holding....I could see Link fighting through the Dark Souls universe

wait Aryll, Why are going on a rickety bridge with a hole in it THATS DANGEROUS!

and you got kidnapped by a bird......your lucky you didn't fall to your death Aryll! you were about to fall through a rickety hole in that bridge! you should be thanking that bird!

and Link tries to jump and does the stupid thing Aryll just almost did. Yeah, guess the foolishness runs in the family.

uh, wouldn't the bird mistake Aryll for Tetra because they're both BLONDE? just saying, thats much more noticeable....

ahahahaahahahahaha, things taking a short time for a hero......thats hilarious.

and yeah, I remember failing that timed platforming thing a couple times before getting it right.

and yeah Tetra is one of those mischievious geniuses whose plans works but always by humiliating you or pranking you in some way. or just at your expense in general. like being shot from a catapult.

Tetra: "yeah we totally shoot our people from catapults to get places Link! we are totally not just doing this to get you off our hands as quick as possible then take our leave like the jerk pirates we are!"

as for doing it perfectly....okay, if you can manage it. change of pace, not get thrown in jail, do things faster. like the rope platformer. you weirdo who somehow does things without messing up.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I do as well but I'm not telling. though to be honest, I'm not sure why a spoilered thing? I was under the impression that its a legend of Zelda specific "It was his sled" thing, but whatever.
    To be fair, there are always going to be people who don't know it. For example, I didn't even know what that saying meant (and the particular instance it's referencing) until this past year. So, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that there's someone here who doesn't know what's being talked about. (I know that I myself know basically nothing about any of the other timelines.)

So, yeah. It's a small courtesy, but it really makes it more enjoyable for those who don't. (Although, Zodi does sometimes say... rather leading questions/comments in commentary.)
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-07-29 at 10:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    To be fair, there are always going to be people who don't know it. For example, I didn't even know what that saying meant (and the particular instance it's referencing) until this past year. So, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that there's someone here who doesn't know what's being talked about. (I know that I myself know basically nothing about any of the other timelines.)

So, yeah. It's a small courtesy, but it really makes it more enjoyable for those who don't. (Although, Zodi does sometimes say... rather leading questions/comments in commentary.)
    I can't help it it's in my nature I'm the person who has to tape my mouth shut when watching early Full Metal Alchemist because the opening animation shows that phonebooth.

That said, I haven't actually put in any leading comments on purpose so good catch?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-07-29 at 10:26 AM.