New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS 1085 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Like knag said, this strip suggests that a new day started. Note how the day is bright again, whereas last time they were on deck (some 5 strips before then) it was almost dark.
    Another question would be, "what time is it now?" There's no frame of reference for how much time passed (if any) for the cutaway to Hel.

Unlike wizards, clerics need to prepare their spells at a certain time of day so leaving spell slots open isn't a viable option; if they've already prepared their spells for the day, and their spell selection didn't account for bypassing doors they didn't think would be a problem to enter, then the Order's going to arrive before they can prepare new spells for the problem at hand.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm quite enjoying the steadily emerging background characterization of Gone-tor. Apparently, the poor old Exarch's dark mirror has some very strong (and very rigid!) feelings about hierarchies and utility and the "proper order" of things. Seems appropriate enough, for the vampire spirit of a dwarf who in life chose to worship elemental stone.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Some kinda giant wallflower."

Hmm. Is this another example of Greg seeming to unconsciously drift into Durkon's accent?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Well, yes, I'm aware its weak circumstantial evidence at best.

GW
    It's actually much better than that. In panel 3 of #1050, Haley said she received the sending from Lien "last night", so the day of the Battle of Passage Pass is the day following Lien and O-Chul staking out Kraagor's Tomb.

We saw the sun set in #1036, and the sky lighten again in #1049. The current date is the day following Godsmoot.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"It's like fighting some kind of giant monstrous wallflower"

Do you mean THIS giant monstrous wallflower!?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

This is actually an interesting take on someone who has access to all of the information and choses not to use it. It's always fun to watch an arrogant SOB take one on the face when he had the chance to know better.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Spamalot in the Playground

(emphasis mine)
    Actually, that might have been precisely what Durkon showed Greg: Durkon accessing that room with that stone, and not the bit about the stone's rules

GW
    Indeed, but my larger point stands - GitP rules lawyers could find a loophole that Greg could not.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Indeed, but my larger point stands - GitP rules lawyers could find a loophole that Greg could not.
    That's mostly by virtue of having a whole lot of people with way too much time on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

In the final panel: "Rot your face off". Would Durkon's accent allow him to enunciate "your"? Wouldn't "yer" be more Durkonish?
    Last edited by Darkhands; 2017-07-24 at 04:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

That's the first positive thing I've ever heard any adventurer say about yellow mold.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    That's the first positive thing I've ever heard any adventurer say about yellow mold.
    This is the first positive thing I've heard anyone say about mold in general.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah Durkon! You tell that sentient bundle of negative energy molded into an unholy semblance of life!

I feel like there was potential for a tree joke at the end there, but Yellow Mold makes for a better quote.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    This is the first positive thing I've heard anyone say about mold in general.
    Blue cheese is delicious, thanks to mold. Penicillin saves lives, and exists thanks to mold.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhands View Post
    In the final panel: "Rot your face off". Would Durkon's accent allow him to enunciate "your"? Wouldn't "yer" be more Durkonish?

I believe that English common phrase "Rot your face off" fully translated into Scots Dwaven would be "Rot yer coupon aff"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    "Some kinda giant wallflower."

Hmm. Is this another example of Greg seeming to unconsciously drift into Durkon's accent?
    Good catch. I hope it is, since the vampire still kind of feels like a non-character (hell, I felt like he was more distinguished as Malack's childlike thrall) and any kind of development would be welcome.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Clearly(?) the vampire was hoping someone on the other side would open the door just to issue a correction.
    But, the XKCD: Duty Calls guy, was not a Dwarf, and thus the world was saved.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I'm like yellow mold. Step on my and I'll rot your face off.

LOVE it. Glad to see Durkon's still finding ways to resist , even bound as he is.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Yes, that was a great line by Durkon. :)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Go Durkon!!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

VampirExarch is comedy gold.

That last panel is hilarious too. Don't know what yellow mold is, but I get the idea.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Good catch. I hope it is, since the vampire still kind of feels like a non-character (hell, I felt like he was more distinguished as Malack's childlike thrall) and any kind of development would be welcome.
    Aren't OotSverse undead incapable of growth?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Aren't OotSverse undead incapable of growth?
    I think the Giant actually said something to the contrary... *casts Summon Banana*

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "Show me every way you know of to access that room, and nothing else" might have helped.
    Cheers!

Durkon is not a file-server that responds as requested to even well-parsed commands. Undurkon* asked something just like that to discover the use of the key-stone. Is there another way he could have learned of it?
    White Magic
    ( 8-{D} Balding, bespectacled, mustachioed happy bearded guy, usually open mouthed.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White Magic View Post
    Cheers!

Durkon is not a file-server that responds as requested to even well-parsed commands. Undurkon* asked something just like that to discover the use of the key-stone. Is there another way he could have learned of it?
    Well, there is this...

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arrowed View Post
    So... Durkon can omit details/memories that the vamp doesn't directly ask for? Are we going to get some odd variant of wish-lawyering where the vampire tries to get the necessary memories, with Durkon trying to hide vital details? Will Durkon drive the vamp mad from within?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Durkon is tops.
    White Magic
    ( 8-{D} Balding, bespectacled, mustachioed happy bearded guy, usually open mouthed.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    memory priest says it unlocks any door to the temple.
    yeah, but these are dwarves. Logical, they aint.
    yeah, but good builders they are. Ask anyone.
    Last edited by White Magic; 2017-07-24 at 09:00 PM.
    White Magic

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

Funny enough, the thing I think about here is "All they need to do is find another priest, turn him into some kinda undead, then have him open the gate." To be fair, the gate may be smart enough to recognize an undead version as "not the same person", but it's entirely plausible that if they vamped that priest, that priest coulda just let them in 'freely'.

(They may not have that capacity anymore, admittedly, though maybe even a Wight would do.)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2017-07-24 at 09:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think the Giant actually said something to the contrary... *casts Summon Banana*
    Time for me to work on that astral plane barrier again, I see....

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    One of the themes in the comic is "Only living things can learn and change". Is it a wink to the Discworld ?
    No, not at all. I've never read the Discworld novels, so I don't even know how it would be. Further, that is not an intentional theme of OOTS; Malack certainly learned and changed over the course of his undeath, or else he would never have been able to manage the complex scheme that he started with Tarquin. Arguably, if Malack were incapable of learning, he would never have "learned" to underestimate Nale, thus negating the impact of his demise. Heck, Crystal just "learned" that Bozzok was bad for her and turned on him, something she never managed to do in her entire mortal life. Some of the characters may believe that only living things can learn, but it's not a thematic statement, or even especially accurate.

28. - Top - End - #118

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, it's a key. Greg asked for the memory of "how to access Firmament" and Durkon showed him a key. It is too usual a method of access to immediately wonder if there is a second bit to the story involving getting the key freely. Yes, in hindsight Greg would've done better to inquire further, but there are infinite details which, if he was being careful, he'd need to inquire further on: what about the door? Maybe the floor in front of the door has an enchantment against undead? Maybe the passage beyond requires a prayer to Thor or alarms are raised? Maybe, maybe, maybe. Greg is on a tight schedule, and no matter how quickly time runs inside his head, he doesn't have an infinite amount of it.

But certainly his contempt and complacency aren't helping his cause.

GW
    The vampire is an idiot, because you don't just ask for the key, you ask about the security as well. Being able to unlock the front door is no good if the burglar alarm goes of thirty seconds later.

Or to put it another way: "You should've taken the whole book.The warnings come after the spells."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The vampire is an idiot, because you don't just ask for the key, you ask about the security as well. Being able to unlock the front door is no good if the burglar alarm goes of thirty seconds later.
    Again, for all you know he did ask, and Durkon honestly showed that there was no further security beyond needing the rune to open the door (plus the air-tight seal & magic resistance). Unless he happened to ask about any magical effects on the key itself, he'd not have learnt of it. That doesn't make him an idiot. It is easy to second-guess the questions with the advantage of hindsight, and days to think of the questions, and plenty of other forumnites to bounce ideas off of, but Greg doesn't have any of that.

To be absolutely clear, my point here is that there is an infinite number of things a vampire'd need to ask to be sure that they have all the memories of the host. The process usually takes months. Greg has days at best. Therefore, yes, there is an angle that Durkon can exploit, helped by the fact that Greg doesn't think much of Durkon and believes himself superior to him. But there is a large gap between that and saying that Greg is stupid. He clearly is not, given how well he has been plotting and scheming so far.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-24 at 10:22 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Ye dinnae ask fer it. Also, I hate ye an' I want ye ta fail."

This may be my favorite Durkon line ever, come to think of it. You always get those trickster characters smarming "You didn't ask," but Durkon ain't like that. He's got a real reason he did it, and he makes sure Greg knows, but Durkon's also going to rub in Greg's face that he's not infallible. It's a good time, that line.
    Last edited by Chei; 2017-07-24 at 10:35 PM.
    Even the wind will know agony.