New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Far Reaches (Fantasy Travelogue)

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    (I think that's up to whoever goes next to interpret. They very well could be, or they could have done the unspeakable deed they were pondering, for example.)
    Correct. I wrote it as open-ended as possible. He has a way out, into safety if he...sacrifices the rest of the company. Or does he? Maybe the entity lies.

It's up to the next writer
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Default se

Well, if no one else is doing it, screw it, he's dead.

15th Bleakmoon, 694 in the cycle of the Red Sun

Master Verin said that since I now was a journeyman (is a journeywoman a thing?), I should have my own journal. Though not as dismal a place as I had first suspected, Carro is still a town on far in the Westerlands and parchment, vellum or even reed paper are hard to come by. In the end, I settled on purchasing an old booklet from a pawn shop. There is spidery handwriting on the first dozen pages, from the last traveler in it. Disquieting things, the poor fool had apparently gone into the moors while grieving and paid the prize. He should know better, Skifters follow those who saw death happen recently like sharks follow blood.

Anyway. I should start at the beginning. Dear diary? No, that sounds unfitting for this. A travel journal.

Master Verin and I arrived in Carro yesterday. It calls itself a city, but clearly more for legal reasons than for anything else. Still, it has a weekly market, a keep with stone walls and a palisade of heavy timber around the entire affair. So, technically, if for no other reason, it qualifies as a city.
    Most of the buildings are wooden, many of them built on piers over the lake and fishing is a major industry. Some have tried to plough the heath outside, though I can not say with how much success, given that it is well past harvest time.

We are staying at the kontor of the Westerland trading league, though until yesterday evening, I had no idea what a kontor is. A kind of fortified warehouse, with offices and a few clerks that organize the caravans that leave at odd intervals back towards civilization laden with timber and other local products.

So far, we were offered a place to sleep in the stables and some thin soup. Clearly, our profession is not as well respected out here as it is in more settled lands. Later today, however, we are to be introduced to the league's local factor, to explain our business.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #33

Heyyyy, I killed another thread. I'll just go on for a bit, open this up some more for others to bring in their own things. Looking back, my post really didn't leave much for other authors.

16th Bleakmoon, 694 in the cycle of the Red Sun

We weren't successful. Factor Laurin did his best to appear understanding, but when we told him of our goals, it was perfectly plain on his face that he debated whether to imprison us or just pretend he had never met us. He plainly hates the idea of anyone going further west from here, nevermind crossing the Ironcrest. They have already taken in too many refugees, he fears Blackboot retaliation if the company is now seen to send people back who might stir further unrest.

I was unreasonably angry, for a while, that he should not respect our office, and strongly suggested to Master Verin that we should bring matters up with the Duke instead. He shook his head and said he hadn't expected more than this, but that one had to try.

We have hired our own guide, now. Kresho, was the name he gave us. I'm still not fluent, but I think it means "Vulture". He's a young orc, and wouldn't say much more than that he had had to leave home due to some difficulties. Of course, from the brand of Årnam on his right hand, it is quite clear what his crime had been in the Blackboots' eyes. They are said to exile anyone even related to a fire-worshipper, these days.

We travel light, with just a mule, a week's worth of grain and salt and our boots. We leave at dawn tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think ya killed it, just the threads can be fairly fickle.

I'll post when not on mobile

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm still quite invested in this, was just traveling for a few days. I'll be back soon.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

6. - Top - End - #36

I haven't abandoned this either, I've just been busy with interviews, college applications, and my other worldbuilding projects (Volora - on site; Spheres - closed project). I'll return to this thread soon.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

As if in a chorus they sang out...

I've also been busy and looking at this as a slower paced thread anyway. I'll be sure to add another entry when I have the time though. I like that we've got a new PoV character.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

8. - Top - End - #38

20th Bleakmoon, 694 in the cycle of the Red Sun

As we were traveling through a monotonous array of tree's the past few days, Master Verin and I took up cloud watching. Today though, for a brief moment I thought saw a feathered tail flicker between to nearby rain clouds. Later I thought I could she a shape outlined in the lightning strikes of a nearby storm, but perhaps that's my imagination playing tricks on me.

Fortunately Kresho has been a competent guide thus far, no major disaster has befallen us since we left Carro through the thick forest. In fact we've made an excellent amount of progress....until today. Around midday we reached what Kresho dubbed, the Scar of Geae, a gigantic canyon that appears to be nearly a 3 miles in width and a mile deep. Though its difficult to be exact due to the thick forests coating the near entirety of the structure save for exposed walls of a strange crimson stone. Master Verin claims this to be one of the natural wonders of the world, and honestly one could probably hide 20 or so Carro's in the canyons bounds. As we discuss options to cross the canyon Krensho is adamant that we only cross it during nightfall, though he refuses to explain why, insisting we wouldn't believe him.
    Last edited by Lleban; 2017-08-03 at 12:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

... Just a short one. I don't want to take over the thread.

20th Bleakmoon, 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun, addendum

Well, I have found out the reason for why we can only cross at night. Or at least part of it.

It was late afternoon when we made camp. The sun was a good two fingers above the horizon, as far as we could gauge through the trees. Since Master Verin was busy writing his weather observations and Kresho was off hunting any small game that could be added to dinner, I decided to walk over to the rim of the canyon and have a look.

Now, the reader may imagine a steep wall, dropping straight into the depths. However, while there were plenty of cliffs, there was also much scree and rockfall, and inclines covered in shrubs. And trees of a kind I had never seen before. Their bark was a pearly white, not unlike a beech, and they had large pink, trumpet-shaped flowers that hung heavy from the branches. As far as I could see, they formed the majority of the canyon's flora.

I walked a bit closer, to inspect the fragrant blooms. That was when I blacked out.

It was a rather rude awakening when Kresho, a dripping wet shirt wrapped around the lower half of his face, tackled me to the floor, just inches away from a deep cliff, then began bodily dragging me back to the camp by my ankles.

The flowers, he said, were soporific, though in less complicated words, and made one stumble around in a stupor, which had a rather negative effect when one was standing above a mile of canyon walls.

What scared me, though, was that he said this was only half the danger of the Scar.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

21st Bleakmoon, 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

While I am eager to continue our journey my experience with the flower blooms, Dream Catchers Kresho calls them, and the unnatural noises that echoed about the canyon last night have endeared me to Kresho's call for another day of scouting which he began at dawn. The orc insists that once we begin to cross or enter the canyon we will need to continue moving until we have exited. He is scouting now for the best part of the canyon for us to cross. Master Verin is not rushing him either, preferring to spend his time dissecting a flower he retrieved from a nearby Dream Catcher. I don't doubt a medicinal value could be found in these flowers. Master Verin has tasked me with collecting five more flowers for preservation and future study.

Kresho returned around noon with a butchered and skinned animal and news about a series of collapsed Dream Catchers along the canyon's opposite wall about two miles further up the Scar that he thinks we could use to climb out. Our guide suggests we make our way across tonight while the blossoms are dormant but again the orc insists we be ready to keep moving. He didn't say it but I get the feeling if we fall behind we'll be left behind. I'm nervous but ready to move past this place and Master Verin seems to agree. Tonight we cross the Scar.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

22st Bleakmoon 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

In my estimation its roughly 2 hours before sunrise, unfortunately we have not yet crossed the scar. Kresho broke his arm in at the river crossing, and rather than leave our guide behind, I petitioned Master Verin to settle in a nearby cave for the day. As much as Kresho implored for us to leave him, our journey through the Westerlands would be far more dangerous without him. Before daybreak I took it upon myself to gather water plant fibers to serve as bandages, so as not to over stretch our existing supplies. This allowed a more detailed look at the trail we were forced to run down earlier. Aside from the collapsed Dream Catchers, the trail seemed littered with cracked bones, teeth, and a plethora of feathers. I wonder if master Verin noticed these during our crossing.

As the sun rose Master Verin eagerly examined the bone fragments and feathers I gave him along with the supplies I delivered. He hypothesizes that the feathers belong to a large variety of parrot, but we have no way to verify.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

22nd Bleakmoon 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

That was no parrot. Shortly after dawn's light began to filter down into the Scar a great cacophony of bird song erupted and a horde of razor beaked predator birds appeared like a cloud of fury just outside the cave we were staying in. A few small animals I had seen outside our refuge were stripped to the bone by this terrifying hurricane of feathers before it dispersed in a burst of squawking and in-fighting. Kresho says Master Verin and I should leave now before more of the Scar's creatures begin to awaken. Master is having none of the orc's gloomy portent and has tasked me with assembling a proper sling for our guide's arm using the fibers I collected earlier.

I learned only the most basics of first aid but I am proud of what I've made. Kresho seems less impressed. Though he has not fought our inclination to try and save him I can see in his eyes he believes our efforts to be in vain. Such is the nature of those men who live tough lives never to expect more than the least. I hope Master Verin and I will prove Kresho's pessimism wrong. If we can survive the day in the cave we will have ample time to reach the other side of the Scar. Though if this valley's birds are as piranhas of the sky perhaps I should join in Kresho's pessimism. A few sharpened sticks and heavy stones does not a grand armory make...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Nice job guys. I'm curious, what type of character is Master Verin? He seems like a devoted naturalist, but that's all I've gotten so far.

14. - Top - End - #44

I have no idea. We haven't even really said what their profession is. I assumed naturalism is more of a hobby for the master. Given that the Factor thought them going into orcish lands might cause unrest, I imagine there's some political or religious dimension to it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Based on the first entry for our new pair I'd guess Master Verin is a missionary or traveling monk. I feel like if they were diplomats or merchants they'd have more of an entourage,

16. - Top - End - #46

Absolutely. When I said political, I meant assassin or spy. Though probably neither of those would keep a journal. Or maybe they are bards traveling to write down the chronicles of the civil war.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-08-07 at 05:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Based on the first entry for our new pair I'd guess Master Verin is a missionary or traveling monk. I feel like if they were diplomats or merchants they'd have more of an entourage,
    I guess that makes the writer also a religious type. The original writer wanted to take up scribe work in Carro - the same town this one found the book in - so perhaps she's a holy scribe? She may have picked the book out specifically because of its writer's supernatural encounters, which might be what she primarily studies.
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2017-08-07 at 05:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

I just have this idea of this thread going on for a long while and the book eventually becoming a famous artefact, handed down over generations by dozens of writers. Some will say, of course, that it is cursed.

19. - Top - End - #49

22nd Bleakmoon 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

It was Master Verin's idea that saved us so far. The method we chose has so far proven effective, yet unpleasant. We threw everything we had that would burn onto a pile and lit it. Parchment. Rope. Spare clothes. What little lamp oil we had, for writing in the . Even the vines we had collected.

Kresho will have to live without a proper sling for a while more, but the thick smoke is so far keeping the birds away from the cave mouth. Our guide is foretelling doom again, however, saying that dusk is, apparently, when things get really bad. There's a few more hours yet before we start walking again.

I've been watching the vegetation, down here at the bottom of the scar. It is unlike anything I've ever seen. The trees seem to have scales, instead of bark. Not like the split bark of some trees, regular, overlapping scales. Their leaves, too, don't look proper, more like hair or thin tendrils. At least there's not too many dreamcatchers around here. I've included a few sketches on the next pagge.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I just have this idea of this thread going on for a long while and the book eventually becoming a famous artifact, handed down over generations by dozens of writers. Some will say, of course, that it is cursed.
    The Grimoire of the Traveler, a look into the depths of the abyss, a the never ending unknown. They're few survivors and even fewer heroes in the great beyond....I was also think along similar lines.

I really like the tree pics gives the scar a prehistoric feel.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, me too! Gives reason for the travelers to meet untimely ends before we get bored of them as well.
    But in all seriousness, I do enjoy the idea of the book becoming fabled.

... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.

22. - Top - End - #52

23rd Bleakmoon 694 in the Cycle of the Red Sun

Once dusk fell the high pitched shrieking ,ever present through out the day, started to dies down. While we ran out of unnecessary supplies to burn around noon, the birds seemed to otherwise loose interest in the cave we were residing in. As dusk fell a strange variety of red spotted monkeys started scurrying about the cave entrance. Before we left I collected some of the scar's signature crimson red stones for further study once we reach civilized lands.
    As soon as the sun fell we raced to climb up the trail, dodging roots, and trudging through steep inclines. Kresho was struggling to keep up while maintaining the integrity of his improvised, he managed to safely ascend with us as well.

Luckily for us razor beaks do not only reside in the Scar, as dawn broke a mile from the crest, a group of 12 birds set upon us, undoubtedly on their way to the scar for a morning feast. For 4 hours Krensho, Master Verin, and I waved swords, rocks and whatever leftover supplies to shield our selves from harm. Now with a, mostly, unobstructed view, I could discern that the razor beaks were larger than falcons with elongated tail feathers, along with what seemed to be claws on the joints of their wings. Their beak seems ideal for ripping and shear muscle apart and is supported by a sturdy head with a garish crest. The Razor beaks we saw were primarily brown with crimson tail feathers and white underbellies. By midday the birds, undoubtedly bored of only inflicting superficial wounds, left us to continue our journey. Later Kresho tearfully thanked us for not abandoning him, he made sure to exclaim how few had shown him the kindness we had, it seemed rather out of character for the normally stoic Orc. But I'm thankful we have a true companion out in these parts. If fortune smiles upon us, we'll arrive at the Obsidian wall in 2 weeks.

Edit: fixing gramar
    Last edited by Lleban; 2017-08-10 at 02:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

24 Bleakmoon, 694th in the Cycle of the Red Sun

We had spent the better part of the day moving South along the Scar, stopping only for shade from the swiftly growing heat. The elevation has declined steadily, a few jagged drops in its way, and the pressure is now as oppressive as the scorching heat of the suns. The spotted creatures grow increasingly numerous, as does the strange vegetation, and halfway into the afternoon I got to see one up close.

I realize now they are only vaguely like monkeys. Their faces seem more like fruit bats, short-eared and long-snouted, their tails covered in thick, layered fur. The hair is patterned in white and gingery red, the latter in amoebic spots and numerous flecks along the spine. One of them seems to have taken an interest in Kresho when he tossed him a slice of his apple, as it followed him closely for the remainder of the day.

The sun had passed beyond view by the time we reached a small pool in the gorge, its source a small crevice in the sheer stone wall that produced a curtain of fresh, clear water. We laid camp there after filling our waterskins, and the spotted thing has joined us in drinking of the water.

In the night, once the fire was lit, I removed a stone from my bag and turned it ponderously in my hand. I noticed it chirp a few times, clicking and rasping, before many insectile legs broke from it and it scuttled away. Now I know what all the rattling in the night has been. I can't help but wonder how many of the "stones" are alive in this place.

24. - Top - End - #54

Maybe this character can start writing a companion journal soon - a bestiary of sorts. She seems to be writing a lot about the creatures and plants, and it'd be a great excuse to write an in-character monster manual (which might also get passed on with the book as a sort of "Volume II").

25. - Top - End - #55

Other than the those bird swarms, we really don't have much that would fit a monster manual. There's already tons of incorporeal, curse-happy undead in D&D, so wraiths don't need writing up and I don't see what else we have.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Other than the those bird swarms, we really don't have much that would fit a monster manual.
    Not yet we don't. But I'm sure we will eventually.
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2017-08-10 at 03:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Each traveler could focus on different elements of the world, depending on what they're doing and occupation.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes sense. A zoologist would obviously write about the local fauna.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    Makes sense. A zoologist would obviously write about the local fauna.
    That's probably on me, really. I've studied ecology and entomology and work with plants now. I tend to think about vegetation a lot.

25 Bleakmoon, 694th in the Cycle of the Red Sun

Well, that's that question answered in a spectacular way. I asked Kresho about the living piece of "rock" I had found and he just smiled, pointed at a boulder perhaps twice my height and then threw a fist-sized rock at it.

The entire thing shuddered and then slowly rose on eight stubby legs, each wider around than my torso. I saw mouth-parts too, clicking in what I imagine was frustration. What an awesome creature.

Now that I looked, I saw similar boulders all over the area, and Kresho confirms they are everywhere between the Scar and the Ironcrest mountains. Master Verin suspects they are akin to crabs, though I have never heard of a crab twice as long as a horse and as heavy as a cart. They seem to eat plants, as each "boulder" sits at the end of a strip of bare ground where the grass has been chewed off.

We've turned west again, now, and are moving away from the scar. Kresho explains that by moving first south along the canyon, we will avoid the highest peaks of the Ironcrest so we will have to only walk over the foothills.

The monkeys are still following us.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thumbs up Re: The Far Reaches (Fantasy Travelogue)

Think I'll take a shot at it, here goes:

26th Bleakmoon, 694th in the Cycle of the Red Sun

Unimaginable, it appears that the monkeys were much more intelligent than it first appeared. Of course what happened was my fault, as I was the one on night watch (We felt it was a good idea with the strange cries we heard the previous day). Somehow the monkeys manged to pilfer the camp, leaving only our sleeping bags and the donkey. Now we must continue, hopefully finding some source of both food and water before too long... Hopefully our guide has a trick up his sleeve, if not we are in more dire straits then we were in the Scar...

There has been no sign of the monkeys and I fear that we may have to travel back to the Scar to find a source of food, as the mountains look cold and barren.

Last edited by Westhart; 2017-08-11 at 01:44 PM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.