New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Kallimakus' Blessed World IC

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae Rasante View Post
    "Just to be clear, I'm still a beginner and not very good at healing yet, so I can only cure a bit before it runs out for today, so I'll focus on the ones worse."
    That said, Samuel goes for the one he almost cut in half, hoping that one Lay on Hands would be enough for him.
    Spoiler: Roll:
    Show
    Lay on Hands: [roll0]
    The bandits at the rear hesitate for a moment, but they return what they took. The man Samuel cut deepest stops bleeding, and his breathing gets a little easier. He doesn't regain consciousness, but neither does he seem to be dying anymore. The bandit leader looks surprised. He didn't actually expect you to go through with it. He puts away his weapon and motions for his group to do the same.

They remain silent for a while, clearly ashamed and not willing to speak. "You're not the usual type. We owe you."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri visibly relaxes and puts her bow away. You obviously never threatened the wards of a priestess of Basth. Now show me your injured. Miadri uses some of her magical healing to stabilize the most grievous wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it is relevant tell me how many spell points I use up. I think rolling is not necessary for NPCs since healing them is only showing my good will and healing 1 HP is enough to stop bleeds. If someone is actively dying I need to roll and to heal more obv.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Once the goods are returned, Ashkar gestures back toward the others. "Let's get you all in one place. You two walk ahead of me, keep your hands over your heads." There is no particular malice in his voice, just calm resolution. The arrow does, however, stay on the string.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

After learning about the expropriation of the family of bandits and caring for their wounds, Miadri offers her help.

You will have to stand for your misdeeds, brave men. However I will do my very best to hear our your liege and then help to get the justice you deserve.

A while later, when returning to the caravan. These men will travel with us and defend the caravan as well. Your security is our priority but when we are done here, we will bring them to justice.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Ashkar takes the others aside. "They are guilty of banditry. Regardless of the reasons, they were willing to kill and rob. We cannot leave them armed."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Vespa

The tiefling nods slighty. "I agree. And to you really think the merchants will feel safe being 'defended' by those who just tried to rob them? They should be walking as prisoners, if anything."

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Or at least unarmed. But... I can't help but think that they are not bandits for long, to lose and give up that easily... chances are we are their first victims"

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

"Which is a good reason not to stick their heads on posts right here, not a reason to leave them armed. Food, water, and bound hands. No cruelty, no idiocy."
    Last edited by stack; 2018-04-02 at 11:51 AM.

9. - Top - End - #579

Flumph

Vespa

She nods firmly, agreeing with the Ashkar.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The bandits are less than certain about this, but at the same time, they neither fancy their chances in a fair fight or their ability to escape and survive apart. Marlo approves of taking them prisoner and sharing your rations, but is not having them as guards. No outsourcing. You still have a few days to go on your journey, with the bandits generally staying out of your way and aggregating as a sullen group.

The rest of your journey goes without incident. The caravan reaches their destination in one piece. The domain of your quarry, Nolvene Omnes, is located around the town of Fernsworth. Nothing compare to the capital, it is a rural, unwalled town, surrounded by forests and fields. Something that sticks out is that you see a lot of people that are just milling about. Big, burly looking, thug-like men in groups. Other people seem to pay them no mind though. Perhaps it's business as usual?

Marlo seems a bit uneasy. The first thing to do is get rid of the prisoners, then to settle business and setting up at the market. He also pays you what he agreed upon, 100gp each.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the inhabitants of the town, Akaash inquires of Marlo, "Does this scene strike you as unusual?"

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Kind of" he says. "This place has always been a little... It has had unscrupulous elements. It's wealthy, and the people havr been previously treated well, but if those bandits were telling the truth, that might not be true anymore."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Ashkar frowns then excuses himself to discuss the matter with the others. "We have a mission to continue, but we also need to settle the matter of the prisoners. Preference for making those inquiries in parallel or sequentially? Given the crowd here, dividing ourselves may be imprudent."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri's face seems to question a lot of things, mostly likely Ashkar's impressive vocabulary. Impotent we certainly are not. But we have to do something. Helping these farmers could at least set us up with a few allies. Because I don't know if even Neru's other servants can be trusted if the corruption has gone this far.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

"As dangerous as it may be, I think we should split for a bit. One of us goes to talk with the landowner to figure out more about her motives, one to stay here and guard the bandits for their sake as much as everyone else's, and one get info on our main mission. The fourth... well, you guys decide."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Ashkar considers the proposal for a moment, "I would expect that two groups would suffice; one to search out information about the ruler, one to safeguard the prisoners. I am willing to aid in either."
    Spoiler
    Show
    wishing he had investigator 2 for the Int to a bunch of skills from empiricist

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, I'd rather help them first... I mean, we will go after this land's ruler anyway, but dealing with the bandit's landowner would free us from them and maybe help them at the same time...
    ...hmm, why don't we ask them about the ruler, anyway? They may get us some information too. I mean, the landowner probably is a subject to her anyway."

18. - Top - End - #588

Flumph

Vespa

The tiefling looks at the thugs walking around, kind of staring at them. She keeps looking around in the city while everyone else express their ideas. "I really don't think we should all go different ways. Some of us wouldn't do well with a city with this kind of profile." She looks at Miadri for a second before going back to look at the city itself.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

"Unless I am mistaken, the landowner in question is the local ruler we seek."
    Spoiler
    Show
    nobility roll made in discord chat, 24 vs DC15
    Last edited by stack; 2018-04-11 at 03:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri meets Vespa's look with her own. She rolls her eyes. It was probably for the best that the tiefling underestimated her and judged her by her physical prowess and displayed naivety. She quickly puts forward an almost saccharine sweet smile and says: You are right that I cannot hold my own in combat. But there are other things I can do. A healer knows which questions to ask and which words cut deeper than any blade and burn worse than any physical flame. I am almost certain you know that.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you are sure... then I see no problem we splitting in duos, but we should ask the bandits about her even more. Maybe they know something more that would help our search for her.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let us do so presently." Ashkar leads the way to the bandits. He waves them in closer so that passersby cannot overhear. "What can you tell us about the ruler here? Where we are likely to find her, does she travel with guards, anything that may be useful."

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Lady Omnes lives in her family manor at the edge of town. She enjoys the luxuries there for most part, holding court for an hour daily. She had maybe a dozen guards along when she came for our farms. A trio of green-clad weirdoes too." the bandit spokesman says.
    "She will expect me to visit and give her a tribute. I will receive summons within the hour, no doubt" Marlo says. He sets off organizing his caravan to set up their wares at the town market. As he does so, a group of thugs approaches the caravan. "Listen. You from the capital, right? Lady Omnes doesn't want folks worried about the prince, so it would be best for everyone that you kept that under wraps. Less hassle, y'see. one of them says, his friends glowering at you and the caravan-folk menacingly. Marlo nods, his body language telling that he's afraid and doesn't want to cause a scene. The thugs make a gesture suggesting that they'll be watching Marlo before leaving.

"That was unpleasant. You did well though. If you need a job by any chance, we can still use some guards.

Lady Omnes will hold court that day, making her available to people to resolve differences, dispense justice or simply be admired. She also does send out an invitation to Marlo. Both could provide public avenues to meet her. Otherwise, her manor features a wooden wall 7 feet high, a large garden and a well-built large manor.

There is a local jailhouse and sheriff's office in town, should you wish to turn in the recovering bandit leader (the one that wasn't a farmer and had a real bounty on his head) for the bounty. Or all the others too. Bunch of guys held captive are eventually going to raise some questions though.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri rubs the bridge of her nose. Infardi... she thinks.

When the time comes to enter the village, she simply states: He is going to be jailed because he is wanted. As far as I am concerned you others did nothing. You lack the cruelty of experienced bandits. I do not think you were in it for long. If I hear that he is used as some kind of scapegoat for your deeds, I will have a word with the sheriff. She turns to her allies. We should free them but keep their weaponry. We can't enter the town with captives as it is not our right to hold prisoners in her jurisdiction.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

TO Miadre, before entering:
    "Best advise them to keep quiet. Probably give them some food and enough silver for rooms; if they are hungry they will turn bandit again quickly enough."

Once in the village:
    Akaash simply gives a nod to the tugs, playing along. No need to make a scene. Yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    waiting to see if others react to the thugs before proceeding

26. - Top - End - #596
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The plans until now are ok, but what about what we will do once inside? Will we join in the meeting? That's our best chance to check if it is the same woman, but if we send someone who recognizes her chances are she'll recognize them and send her guards... unless I go without armor, maybe with other clothes she wouldn't recognize me? I mean I barely ever removed it in town and my face doesn't draw much attention compared to it, I think..."

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Regarding recognizeability, Samuel was prominent in Arathus, and might be recognized. Ashkar, likewise, might be known as a servant of the crown. Both could take simple steps to disguise themselves.

Your captive bandits have already surrendered their weapons. In good faith, they also reveal the location of their camp. They have enough supplies to last a week or two. If you furnish them with some money to buy supplies with, they will thank you and again state that they are in your debt. If you ever need a few farmhands-turned-archers, you know where to find them.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

"We can disguise ourselves to make detection less likely, though that carries a risk. I think it best to go and get the lay of the land, then we can form a solid plan of attack. Perhaps our bandit friends could be of use. Hard to say until we know what we face. Perhaps it would be best to not turn their leader in too soon, just in case."
    Last edited by stack; 2018-04-23 at 07:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

I think your fame helps more than it harms us. I will remain as a healer of Basth but I do not think additional security is necessary. We should proceed. We have a more important job to do. Miadri tries her best not to sound too commanding but both the hold-up and the apparent tyranny at hand make her angry.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You head out. Two footmen, armed with swords casually on their side, arrive to the caravan to invite Marlo to meet Lady Omnes. They come with a big bag of money as well, buying a small chest from the caravan. Marlo is mildly surprised at this. The footmen check the contents, and you too learn that the chest contains a handful of books. Based on the size of their bag, those were expensive books they bought. As they handle the transaction with Marlo's employers, you might broach the subject of coming along (Or you may have done so earlier).