New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

No Winslow! Don't do it! We love you for being cuddly and slightly awkward!
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I mean it does, I literally just described how it does. Yeah sure, if we want to play "technically correct semantics wars" homophobia is just a fear of gay people but thats not how the term gets used. For better or for worse thats the word we use when we're talking about injustice and systemic oppression of gay people. And that type of situation is very much an injustice and part of the systemic oppression of gay people. It enforces heterosexuality onto gay people by making wlw about men and mlm about women.

You're free to use another word to describe it (orientationism? sounds bad) but homophobia is a word that gets used that way
    I believe I understand what you're getting at. The assumption that gay or bisexual therefore must be equal to a one-dimensional fantasy, almost dehumanizing in a way, which is therefore homophobic in that it's a negative stereotype of that orientation.

That is of course problematic in itself, however I believe that a better term for that might be "objectification", as it encompasses an attraction to any specified person of people though one expressed in a negative way. That, at least, is how I have interpreted Renee's potential interest in an Eliot/Clinton tryst - she's absolutely for it in a pro-LBGT sense, but only in a very shallow way in which she would probably also envisage a straight ship or other cast members.

In essence, not homophobic because it's nothing to do with them being gay or bi - she just likes the idea of ANY cute, bashful people getting together and bangin' the living daylights out of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    No Winslow! Don't do it! We love you for being cuddly and slightly awkward!
    Is it a good or bad thing that I had absolutely no recollection of Winslow's name until I read this post? Poor little guy is long overdue some character development.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2017-08-02 at 01:57 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I believe I understand what you're getting at. The assumption that gay or bisexual therefore must be equal to a one-dimensional fantasy, almost dehumanizing in a way, which is therefore homophobic in that it's a negative stereotype of that orientation.
    You seem to have lost the point. Here it is, with some clarifying bold.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    "Fujoshi" is the Japanese word for "yaoi fangirl." The implication being that upon learning that Elliott was bi, Renée immediately stopped seeing him as her big buff soft coworker and friend, and instead a piece of meat to take part in her vaguely homophobic sexual fantasies.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok, can we just move on from the stupid fujoshi argument already please? Its not a concern in comic and the discussion is starting to get exceptionally nasty. It was never a particularly plausible concern in the first place, so I don't know why so many people are still harping on it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ok, can we just move on from the stupid fujoshi argument already please? Its not a concern in comic and the discussion is starting to get exceptionally nasty. It was never a particularly plausible concern in the first place, so I don't know why so many people are still harping on it.
    I'm utterly perplexed where that stuff came from... seems that webcomics are very prone to that sort of thing, because of the big pauses in the middle of scenes. Conversations that take under a minute in-story take days to play out in the comic progression the reader experiences. So some readers jump the gun, come up with wild conjecture, and even when the next snippet of the conversation invalidates that conjecture they don't retract it or update based on new data.

Anyway... I'm far more interested in where the new Winslow subplot is going.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post

So that means:
    Yeah, thought it might be a problem.

THIS JUST RAISES FURTHER QUESTIONS

So because Elliot is muscular, he's only allowed to be the bottom in same-sex relationships?

What?
    In feel good PC cartoons, probably.

also this can't be stated enough, consent is never optional, and when you specifiy that it's optional in one specific instance you're kind of implying there are other instances where its not
    I think you twisted a "not" in there. Yeah, consent is never optional, morally. Sometimes, tragically, people forget morals, CW (in another context) for one.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #67

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I think you twisted a "not" in there. Yeah, consent is never optional, morally. Sometimes, tragically, people forget morals, CW (in another context) for one.
    What I mean is, when you say "with Elliot being this muscular a relationship only works if it's fully consensual", you're treating Elliot being muscular as a variable, as if to say "if X, then Y", with X being "Elliot is muscular" and Y being "the relationship requires consent". When you do this, you imply that that there are other situations with other variables (like for instance, no one being muscular) where consent is not required.* This is obviously not what you mean, but it's still an unusual thing to say.

Elliot being muscular and bisexual does not make consent more important to the relationship than usual, because consent is always important.

Also the unnecessary addition of the word 'morally' is confusing. There's no need to qualify. Consent is never optional, full stop. If you're just trying to say that sometime rape happens, yeah, that's true, but that horrible fact of life didn't suddenly become more relevant or likely when Elliot revealed he liked men, so why bring it up now?

*Before someone comes in and calls me out on logical fallacy, yes, I'm aware of logic and causality and the contrapositive and etc. According to capital-L Logic, saying "if X, then Y", does not automatically mean "if not X, then not Y", but it does suggest that as a possibility. In this situation, Y always equals yes, so there's no need for an if/then. If X, Y. If not X, still Y. Regardless of X, always Y. Y forever. Y is love, Y is life. Y.

Yeah, thought it might be a problem.
    The word 'bottom' isn't a problem. The suggestion that someone is limited to being one because of their musculature is... well, maybe not a 'problem', but it's certainly baffling.

In feel good PC cartoons, probably.
    And at this point I have no idea what you're talking about. What part of 'Elliot is a big muscleboy so he can never top' is either 'feel good' or 'PC'? (Or 'cartoon')
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

So do you think Pintsize having 3 fo four AI friends in humanoid bodies would be enough to convince Marten to get him one?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

So do you think Pintsize having 3 fo four AI friends in humanoid bodies would be enough to convince Marten to get him one?
    Would he even want one?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

I dunno man, maybe pintsize is comissioning his own humanoid body one aprt at a time. Wang first. The rest can be made as he earns the money for it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No.
    Can you imagine what he's capable of with opposable thumbs?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Could Marten afford it?

Could Pintsize on his own? (Pintsize sometimes appears to have a Plot Wallet -- just as much money as he needs for the joke to work.)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe a gift from Hanners('s dad)? Or coming off of that maybe just a projector attachment his chassis so he can be like Station.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh gosh . . . this was such a feel-good strip for me, something about Hanners looking so perfectly relaxed

And yeah, if not a humanoid body for Winslow, at least one that lets him live a little more independently. Being a walking tablet with near-useless appendages must be somewhat less than fun. Also, it's great to see the little guy again!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My understanding is that AIs choose their names, so Pintsize chose the name Pintsize. I can see him going for a halfling style chassis. I say Halfling style as it would still be adult proportion, just smaller. The idea of Pintsize in a adult sized human chassis seems weird to me.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    My understanding is that AIs choose their names, so Pintsize chose the name Pintsize. I can see him going for a halfling style chassis. I say Halfling style as it would still be adult proportion, just smaller. The idea of Pintsize in a adult sized human chassis seems weird to me.
    The idea of Pintsize in an adult sized human chassis seems dangerous to me.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

Looks like no fancy futuristic hologram body for winslow, just a trip to the apple store for a new chassis. I am curious to see what he ends up going with.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

One day humans will figure out how to genetically engineer our species so we can photosynthesize, and then we will all have Sun's Out, Guns Out Charging Mode.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

I love that Jeph came for Apple immediately. Team iPhone can suck it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If Hanners changes her mind about the robotic boyfriend, it looks like the Brosepf is packing....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't help but think Jeph's been playing Dream Daddy.

22. - Top - End - #82

Imp

Hanners, let's not pretend that Winslow isn't a sweet soft boy.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    One day humans will figure out how to genetically engineer our species so we can photosynthesize, and then we will all have Sun's Out, Guns Out Charging Mode.
    We have a too small surface area compared to our energy demand to make it worth it. Though maybe we could change the form of human to giant sails. Pro: huge surface error for photosynthesis, can be rolled up for storage, can act as sail of small sailboats! Con: no limbs, don't know where to place brain.

24. - Top - End - #84

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I love the hipster model. I'd personally go with the broseph because in real life I've already run with the softboy chassis for far too long.

I wonder what model the sales girl is? That's the one I'd really want. She's the first AI I've seen in the strip that didn't have the obvious joints.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Sales girl might just be a regular human in the teenage girl model.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    We have a too small surface area compared to our energy demand to make it worth it. Though maybe we could change the form of human to giant sails. Pro: huge surface error for photosynthesis, can be rolled up for storage, can act as sail of small sailboats! Con: no limbs, don't know where to place brain.
    Doesn't have to completely cover our nutritional needs. Even being able to photosynthesize for 10% of our necessary calories would be a nice benefit.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-08-04 at 01:44 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #86

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Sales girl might just be a regular human in the teenage girl model.
    Possibly. There's something kind of uncanny valley about her. Her eyes are farther apart than Jeph usually draws, her skin lighter, her nose less defined. Combined with her purple color scheme, my first guess was robot.

Plus, Softboy doesn't have any visible joints, either. Although that might just because he is a sweet soft boy.

(Is Softboy the second reference we've had to Griffin McElroy and Nick Robinson?)
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2017-08-04 at 01:55 PM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

27. - Top - End - #87

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Possibly. There's something kind of uncanny valley about her. Her eyes are farther apart than Jeph usually draws, her skin lighter, her nose less defined. Combined with her purple color scheme, my first guess was robot.

Plus, Softboy doesn't have any visible joints, either. Although that might just because he is a sweet soft boy.

(Is Softboy the second reference we've had to Griffin McElroy and Nick Robinson?)
    What was the first reference?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    What was the first reference?
    IPhone users I'd guess.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Square speech bubbles, too. She's an AI in a near-human skin tone and flexible outer covering.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-08-04 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Square speech bubbles, too. She's an AI in a near-human skin tone and flexible outer covering.
    So that's why I thought she was an AI.

...Huh, I never noticed that before. Hurrah for consistent design choices working even if you don't notice them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text