New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkai View Post
    If I have a bunch of characters I do not care about what happens or what is going on with them, the story as such becomes dull and boring, similar to when you read a book and flip through the pages just to get to a part that is interesting or that is connected to the character you find interesting.
    Ironically, this is an experience I can't identify with at all. Who just skips parts of the things they're reading?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #902
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Ironically, this is an experience I can't identify with at all. Who just skips parts of the things they're reading?
    Certainly not me :D I just said it is like that :P

3. - Top - End - #903
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Originally QC's brand was 'Bland Indie Boy Surrounded by Indie Girls Like In a Harem Anime, but with Indecipherable References to Music No One's Actually Ever Listened To'. Now its brand is 'Attractive Women With Problems', which is more succinct.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2017-11-21 at 09:38 AM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Colossus in the Playground

So tilly only now realizes that invading someones life, ignoring their earnest declaration that you go away, is a bad thing? Really? I was expecting some sort of doomsday device was being pointed at her parents home, or blackmail material on her college experimentation with animal ai units being held over her head, not that she is somehow dumb enough to be told "Go help this girl and refuse to listen to anything she says unless its a request to act as her assistant" and think there isnt anything sketchy about that.

I only do that when im rereading the book because most of it was awesome,t here were just a few boring bits. Like in wheel of time when the story switches to someone I dont care about and im like, "Ok, lets get back to matt and see what happened to him THIS time!"
    Last edited by Traab; 2017-11-21 at 09:42 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #905

So i am the only one who liked the Ozymandia poster?

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    So i am the only one who liked the Ozymandia poster?
    Nope -- I laughed out loud when I noticed it.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, this Taffy thing seems to be wrapping up a lot faster than I thought it would.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

8. - Top - End - #908

Imp

It's been there for a while. Pretty sure it got discussed the first time it appeared.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #909

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I only do that when im rereading the book because most of it was awesome,t here were just a few boring bits. Like in wheel of time when the story switches to someone I dont care about and im like, "Ok, lets get back to matt and see what happened to him THIS time!"
    I second this. Perrin also was interesting. Sadly, As Rand grew in power, the story around his character was getting a bit hard to read for me. Also, I got a kid and my reading time is nonexistent. :D So, the Fires of Heaven are half-read at this point.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Hannelore is asexual,
    I have neither the time nor the energy to respond to that entire post, but I'll spare some for this.

Hannelore is sex-repulsed, which stems from her touch aversion, which stems from her germophobia, which stems from her OCD.

And while asexuality and sex-repulsion tend to come together, it is possible to have one without the other. And in Hannelore's specific case, she has shown attraction and interest in other people, but her touch aversion/sex repulsion/germophobia/OCD has actively hindered her from pursuing those attractions beyond an aesthetic sense. That does not make her asexual.

By the way, that this kind of misinformation is often taken as hard fact is exactly the reason more stories portraying neurodivergence, marginalized orientations, and other genders need to be written.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #911

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I have neither the time nor the energy to respond to that entire post, but I'll spare some for this.

Hannelore is sex-repulsed, which stems from her touch aversion, which stems from her germophobia, which stems from her OCD.

And while asexuality and sex-repulsion tend to come together, it is possible to have one without the other. And in Hannelore's specific case, she has shown attraction and interest in other people, but her touch aversion/sex repulsion/germophobia/OCD has actively hindered her from pursuing those attractions beyond an aesthetic sense. That does not make her asexual.

By the way, that this kind of misinformation is often taken as hard fact is exactly the reason more stories portraying neurodivergence, marginalized orientations, and other genders need to be written.
    yeah, but asexual is one word and fitted into my sentence :D

I understand everything you said and you are correct. However, if I went so in-depth with every part of that post, it would have panned over several posts and I believe no one would have read it fully.

If anyone was misinformed by my "claim" that Hannelore is asexual instead of sex-repulsed, which stems from her touch aversion, which stems from her germophobia, which stems from her OCD, I apologise.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, just to illustrate one thing (ordinary before vs wacky now): at one point, almost all the characters were in relationships and most of them were straight with Tai being poly-amorous/gay and Marten's father and Maurice being a gay couple. Now, almost all characters are in a relationship and (unless I'm missing someone) only one relationship is straight (Dale/Marigold). Hannelore is asexual, Dora/Tai, Marthen's father/Maurice and Marten/Claire are gay relationships, Bubbles seemingly has a crush on Faye and it seems like the comic was also guiding Clinton and Elliot towards one another.
    It almost feels like the author wants to have each type of relationship represented in the comic which, while commendable, is also something that disconnects the reader from the comic, as he is not able to identify himself with the characters.
    ... You're under the impression that having more different types of people/relationships in the comic... makes it harder for the reader to identify with the characters?

I would think it's the opposite. Of the subset of readers who can't identify with any character who doesn't match their sexual preferences... only straight people would have been able to identify with any major character except Tai early-on (and Tai wasn't all that early, the art-style had reached the modern one by the time she first turned up).

(also, that this counts as "wacky" somehow is just insulting.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    ... You're under the impression that having more different types of people/relationships in the comic... makes it harder for the reader to identify with the characters?

I would think it's the opposite. Of the subset of readers who can't identify with any character who doesn't match their sexual preferences... only straight people would have been able to identify with any major character except Tai early-on (and Tai wasn't all that early, the art-style had reached the modern one by the time she first turned up).

How are you defining "early"? Because as far as I can recall, Dora has been shown to be Bi almost since her introduction.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Originally, the complaint was that Jeph is neglecting long-running characters in interesting multidimensional relationships to spend a lot of time on newer characters not in relationships whose primary character trait is 'wacky'. In other words, people are relating to the long-running characters just fine, and want more of them. I have no idea how that was interpreted as "too many of the long-running characters' relationships are unconventional and that makes them hard to relate to."

Frankly, I find it hard to understand that interpretation as anything other than someone having an ax to grind about unconventional relationships making them uncomfortable, and projecting their discomfort onto others' unrelated criticisms.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    How are you defining "early"? Because as far as I can recall, Dora has been shown to be Bi almost since her introduction.
    I do not recall very much of the early comic (esp. pre-Hannelore), and was operating (inadvisably) from Dukkai's presentation of things.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #916

I do, be it words, sentences, paragraphs, or whole chapters. You don't really need to read everything to understand, and selective reading is always useful.
    An example of chapters you can avoid reading: Frankenstein's English tour.
    An example in comics: you can often ignore the first panel narration text in the early Schlock Mercenary strips.

As for the fact that the comic now almost exclusively portrays untraditional relationships, in the beginning I thought it was because Marten was a "safe" person for minorities to be around, as he came from a gay dad and a bsdm star mum. So a hub ended up building itself around him.
    Well, that's just a fan rationalization. Now I don't see it that way anymore, mostly because some sexual minorities tend to build homogeneous communities, and I don't think any of the characters have talked about that. What I mean is that I don't believe that there is a purposeful attempt at a realistic portrayal.

Also, Pintsize is a MSM , since no one said it yet. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #917

Imp

Thumbs down Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

I think it's more that our characters are young progressives in a socially liberal city. Hipster coffee shops and liberal arts colleges tend to attract types of people who don't take issue with sexual minorities.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

18. - Top - End - #918

Devil

Well, yes :)

Like I said, that is just my impression. It can be wrong, of course. :) and like someone said, it could be just that the relationship problems are the same for any relationship so in the end it just does not matter what kind of relationships are portrayed. People can identify themselves with their problems, regardless of their relationship status.
    On the other hand, it all depends on your surroundings as a reader since you read the comic from the lenses of your personal experience. I know a few gay couples and I literally do not know any transsexual person (other the father Kardashian) so a comic where relationships other than the straight ones are dominant is not something I can identify with. But, like you said, maybe that makes someone else identify with the comic a bit more. Lose some, gain some.

also, ffs, a relationship between an AI (Bubbles) and Faye is a bit wacky, however you put it :D and I can see the comic going into that direction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I think it's more that our characters are young progressives in a socially liberal city. Hipster coffee shops and liberal arts colleges tend to attract types of people who don't take issue with sexual minorities.
    True. Nor should they.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

Second, I'll never understand this notion that a work of fiction needs "characters I can identify with" in order for the reader to connect with what's going on.

It's not that one needs characters that one can identify with in order to connect with what's going on; it's that it makes it easier, and can keep one's attention even if what's going on, in and of itself, isn't all that interesting. This is a major problem with the Tilly story arc so far--the character isn't remotely relatable (at least to me), so we don't care about the story because of her, and the story arc isn't interesting or amusing (again, at least to me); rather, I find it annoying.

Also, relatability is a relative thing. Almost everyone will relate more easily to a character more like themselves, but that doesn't mean that, as a straight man, I can't relate to a gay or lesbian character. To be able to relate to them, though, I need to see them struggle with problems similar to what I have had to deal with. For example, Dora's relationship with Tai isn't any less relatable than her relationship with Marten, because she still struggles with her same control and trust issues.

Now, if a story is interesting enough, you don't need relatable characters. That's why I kept reading the Wheel of Time series--I didn't find any of the characters particularly relatable; in fact, I actively disliked most of them. But I thought the setting and story were interesting enough that I stuck with it despite the unattractive characters. Of course, what one finds interesting is highly subjective.

And, as I mentioned earlier, if a character is purely there as comic relief, they don't have to be relatable, as long as they're funny. I don't relate to Pintsize, but his wacky antics are (usually) genuinely funny, so it doesn't bother me when he shows up a lot. And, yes, what one finds funny is probably even more subjective that what one finds relatable.

To summarize: if you have relatable characters, you can get away with telling relatively uninteresting stories; if you are telling really interesting or funny stories, you can get away with having unrelatable characters, but you can't really get away with telling uninteresting, unfunny stories about unrelatable characters--you'll eventually lose your audience.

And none of this means that you can't relate to Tilly, and/or find her story interesting. Just that many of us don't.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes :)

Like I said, that is just my impression. It can be wrong, of course. :) and like someone said, it could be just that the relationship problems are the same for any relationship so in the end it just does not matter what kind of relationships are portrayed. People can identify themselves with their problems, regardless of their relationship status.
    On the other hand, it all depends on your surroundings as a reader since you read the comic from the lenses of your personal experience. I know a few gay couples and I literally do not know any transsexual person (other the father Kardashian) so a comic where relationships other than the straight ones are dominant is not something I can identify with. But, like you said, maybe that makes someone else identify with the comic a bit more. Lose some, gain some.
    No, I mean...
    (assuming here you are straight)
    There are still characters who match you. There are just now also characters who match other groups. And that makes it worse?
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Transgender is the usually accepted term these days, not transsexual, for those reading.

My complaint about Taffy isn't even that she's mentally ill... it's that she's a design and some quirks that Jeph threw together with no attempt to actually make her an interesting character. Brun, who a lot of people don't like (although I do) is a reasonably realistic portrayal of a high functioning autistic person, even if she isn't particularly engaging for most readers. Taffy is... an annoying cut out that I feel is an excuse to use a cute design.

There being more and more characters that people who aren't neurotypical/straight/cis/whatever can relate too is great! There being characters that are 2 dimensional cut-outs to facilitate the use of a cute design and for gags are incredibly annoying.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

OK, MAYBE Taffy or whatever will stop doing things that make us want to attack her with an eraser and remove her from the strip now. Maybe. We'll see. I hope so, this is arduous.

23. - Top - End - #923

Imp

Note that even when being nice, Hanners is still calling her Taffy, so score a point for accidental.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #924

RogueGuy

Now see, something like this would have been useful like two weeks ago. If Taffy had explained that it was her first time as a PA when she introduced herself to Hannelore, she would have been a lot more sympathetic and relatable.

Instead we got... this.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

25. - Top - End - #925

Originally QC's brand was 'Bland Indie Boy Surrounded by Indie Girls Like In a Harem Anime, but with Indecipherable References to Music No One's Actually Ever Listened To'.
    Also, Steve. Steve was in there too. Can't forget Steve. Even if Jeph did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

26. - Top - End - #926

Devil

No, I mean...
    (assuming here you are straight)
    There are still characters who match you. There are just now also characters who match other groups. And that makes it worse?
    I think dps explained that better than me in the post above yours.

It is not only the characters, but the story itself. If the story isn't that interesting and it has with time less characters I can relate to, it loses my interest. That is why I said "lose some, gain some". Maybe in the end it will lose me as a reader, but, as you stated, it will attract other readers who can relate with those new characters or new character directions better.

Unfortunately, I'm not good at explaining, especially in foreign language, sorry if I wasn't clear at what I meant.

27. - Top - End - #927

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If we have a scene where Tilly does the usual cliched thing - she slumps down, complains that she's only trying to help and this is her big break, and then Hannelore promises to try to find her something to do before the waterworks are turned on - then I will probably find myself extremely jaded towards her.
    Welp, I called it. Tilly acts annoying and unprofessional, gets called out on it, turns on the water-works and for some reason the offended parties have to go out of their way to accommodate her because..... reasons.

Don't get me wrong; I am pretty much pro-"whatever moral or lifestyle this comic wants to promote". I like there being a huge and seldom explored cast; as much as I have my favourites, I greatly prefer seeing them only on occasion and enjoying their visits, rather than having them beaten like the proverbial dead horse. I enjoy that their experiences run the gamut of human emotion and capability, as it means there's always a new interaction to explore or message to divulge. Even if only in the context of butts.

Tilly is a yes-man, a corporate drone, who has only been an obstacle. I don't think she's even a figure of controversy like Brun, who at least provides a subject to discuss; she's just annoying and then is expecting to be given sympathy by the reader.

I'm sorry, Jeph; I just don't get what you're trying to do, unless in the next week or so you're going to have Tilly corrupted from a straight-laced, white collar goody-two-shoes into an ear-plugged, dyed-haired alternative lifestyler, like he did with Claire. And even then, you did that with Claire.... do we need to see it again with someone who we've no attachment?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

28. - Top - End - #928

I always found it weird that others seem to find characters like them more interesting, when it is an unusual trait you don't see often okay but when it just basically takes the form of "no unusual traits and some superficial similarities" you see that constantly. I consider anything relatable where the character motivations/feelings makes sense to me which doesn't require me do be like that myself and if they aren't relatable they still might be interesting. I agree that less interesting story can be compensated with good characters but my description of good tends to be likable or interesting and bad unlikable or annoying. Though I guess being like me can weaken some kinds of annoyingness, like I might be more patient with whining if I had similiar feeling before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I do, be it words, sentences, paragraphs, or whole chapters. You don't really need to read everything to understand, and selective reading is always useful.
    An example of chapters you can avoid reading: Frankenstein's English tour.
    An example in comics: you can often ignore the first panel narration text in the early Schlock Mercenary strips.
    BEGONE DEMON YOUR EVIL AND TWISTED WAYS SHALL NOT CORRUPT US! Ahem that is to say wow I just don't do that, I skip things in factual books or papers but in stories I just don't. Well a few exception were I was plagued by strong enough Fremdschämen to skip the passage.

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    OK, MAYBE Taffy or whatever will stop doing things that make us want to attack her with an eraser and remove her from the strip now. Maybe. We'll see. I hope so, this is arduous.
    I can't spend the time to browse the earlier QC threads to check, but I have a strong hunch that any newly introduced character over the past few years was seen as annoying, 2-dimensional, boring, nonsensical, unfunny, and/or unrelatable for at least their first 10-20 pages. I have no idea if Tilly will turn out to be interesting, but I'm quite willing to give her (or, more to the point, the author) more time to show what she's about.

Note that even when being nice, Hanners is still calling her Taffy, so score a point for accidental.
    I think this just comes from Hannelore's mom calling her Taffy in the first place. Her mom just has this overwhelming, overbearing personality that Hannelore, a much softer person, finds hard to resist. Mom called her Taffy, she's Taffy in Hannelore's mind without even thinking about it. We saw an example of that same thing before, with Marten's mom - only Marten's mom got called out and apologized.

Another example of that kind of power over others is with Tilly herself, carrying through Mrs Ellicott-Chatham's instructions well past the point of the absurd, and completely breaking down when having to face that absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I always found it weird that others seem to find characters like them more interesting, when it is an unusual trait you don't see often okay but when it just basically takes the form of "no unusual traits and some superficial similarities" you see that constantly. I consider anything relatable where the character motivations/feelings makes sense to me which doesn't require me do be like that myself and if they aren't relatable they still might be interesting.
    100% agree with this.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Welp, I called it. Tilly acts annoying and unprofessional, gets called out on it, turns on the water-works and for some reason the offended parties have to go out of their way to accommodate her because..... reasons.

<snip>
    I'm wondering.

Would Ms. Ellicott-Chatham entrust her daughter to an inexperienced, over-enthusiastic Personal Assistant wanna-be? Is it possible that Tilly is actually a master manipulator who hides her abilities behind an appearance of innocent bumbling? I note she IS accomplishing her goals, despite Hanners' opposition...