New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Emphasis on the stupid, IMO. Any qualities of 'manliness' or lack thereof are overridden by the sheer quantity of bug-nuts insanity required to voluntarily participate in that.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Okay, not to delve too deep into it, but whether or not something is dangerous doesn't mean it's manly. Annoying a nest full of hornets or pissing of a rabid dog is about as stupid, dangerous and pointless, and I don't see where the big difference is.
    Is there skill involved? I guess? Still doesn't make it manly. It's not even like there is a point to the whole thing, except showing off. I guess if I was too include a far larger amount of "stupid" in my definition of manly I'd accept it, but as it stands..
    Yes, showing off for stupid, dangerous and pointless reasons is manly. Because it's so brave, only a real man would do it.
    "Manliness" have a depressing tendency to turn people into arrogant violent sexist pricks. I'm not a fan.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, not to delve too deep into it, but whether or not something is dangerous doesn't mean it's manly. Annoying a nest full of hornets or pissing of a rabid dog is about as stupid, dangerous and pointless, and I don't see where the big difference is.
    Is there skill involved? I guess? Still doesn't make it manly. It's not even like there is a point to the whole thing, except showing off. I guess if I was too include a far larger amount of "stupid" in my definition of manly I'd accept it, but as it stands..
    Is there a point to sticking your hand in a nest of bullet ants? How about stitching those ants into a sleeve and sticking your hand into the sleeve? How about doing that 20 times while dancing? One of myriad manhood rituals that involve subjecting oneself to pain and danger just to prove one can.

We may think it's long past time for the concept of manliness to change, but it would be inaccurate to disregard the strong association between manliness and bravery because of that. Which includes the rites that have no purpose besides demonstrating bravery, no matter how stupid.

Besides, the issue isn't whether we think it's manly, it's whether the audience and the participants do. If they think it's manly, then they are associating pink with manliness, and Grey Wolf is using the original image correctly as an example of such associations.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Besides, the issue isn't whether we think it's manly, it's whether the audience and the participants do. If they think it's manly, then they are associating pink with manliness, and Grey Wolf is using the original image correctly as an example of such associations.
    Nailed it.

People seem too caught up in assaulting the example to stop and consider what it was supposed to be an example of.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I hope that we get a strip in the near future telling us why Winslow decided upon changing his colour scheme at all. He's been blue/white for such a long time that, regardless of what some of us might think of the connotations of pink, any change is a notable one.

Does he like pink? That's an interesting thing to know about his preferences. Does he dislike blue? Again, interesting. Was it Hannelore's preference and he willingly went along with her choice because he felt obligated to do so? Or because he is specifically inclined towards actions that will make his owner happy? Was it because "pink" was the closest available shade to human skin and he has a desire to blend in with the other bipeds? Is he even aware of the implications of skin colour, given how sheltered a life he has under Hannelore's already sheltered supervision?

Any answer would be nice. It's just occurred to me how little we know about Winslow, despite him being in the comic for thousands of strips now.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2017-08-09 at 01:20 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I hope that we get a strip in the near future telling us why Winslow decided upon changing his colour scheme at all. He's been blue/white for such a long time that, regardless of what some of us might think of the connotations of pink, any change is a notable one.

Does he like pink? That's an interesting thing to know about his preferences. Does he dislike blue? Again, interesting. Was it Hannelore's preference and he willingly went along with her choice because he felt obligated to do so? Or because he is specifically inclined towards actions that will make his owner happy? Was it because "pink" was the closest available shade to human skin and he has a desire to blend in with the other bipeds? Is he even aware of the implications of skin colour, given how sheltered a life he has under Hannelore's already sheltered supervision?

Any answer would be nice. It's just occurred to me how little we know about Winslow, despite him being in the comic for thousands of strips now.

Maybe it was what they had in stock, and he was just trying it out, but once he was in he couldn't stand the thought of going back (as he said).
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Thor dammit, why can't I come up with these beautifully concise explanations for my own damn examples?

(Thank you so much, Lethologica)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not just jewish people, all "curable" gay people, according to your source. Someone both gay and jewish had the pink triangle combined with a yellow triangle.

I recently read the blue for boys was helped along by the increasing popularity of sailor uniforms for boys, which were mostly white and blue. i did however not research this further.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2017-08-09 at 05:15 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh hey, Dora's back! I wonder what's been going on with her life . . . questions include:

-are she and Tai still together?
    -how's Tai doing anyway??? Haven't seen her in way too long either!
    -has Dora been seeing her therapist? Has this been helpful? She looks pretty confident and relaxed, but that's a snap judgment.
    -Coffee of Doom's general situation? Finances? Employees (other than Hanners) - how are they doing?

The next update can't happen soon enough

10. - Top - End - #130

Dora's expression - "oh god. now there are two of them."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

... Why do I feel like I have read this joke already? Or something very similar? It even feels like in QC but I guess then I would not be the only one confused. Might not have been alligators but the "what if (random threat)" seems familiar.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

... Why do I feel like I have read this joke already? Or something very similar? It even feels like in QC but I guess then I would not be the only one confused. Might not have been alligators but the "what if (random threat)" seems familiar.
    Welcome to literally every day in the life of every person with an anxiety disorder, which is probably why the joke is quite common.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Trapdoor Alligators are a recurring (albeit rare) threat in the webcomic Something*Positive; it's certainly what I thought of when QC mentioned "what if, suddenly, alligators?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Welcome to literally every day in the life of every person with an anxiety disorder, which is probably why the joke is quite common.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Trapdoor Alligators are a recurring (albeit rare) threat in the webcomic Something*Positive; it's certainly what I thought of when QC mentioned "what if, suddenly, alligators?"
    Both of these.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

If you have read Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett, the "A stone with holes in it will protect you from alligators" is a great little brick joke.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

I bet Momo will actually be jealous of Winslow's chassis; it's apparently smooth and well-functioning, whereas hers . . . isn't.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Goddamnit Barry.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Few things are quite as uncomfortable as convincing yourself your anxieties are overblown, only to have them confirmed. Goddamit Barry indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #139

RogueGuy

*astonished sputtering*

Are you frelling kidding me.

Is Jeph really that hard pressed for DRAMA that he needs to do something like this?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    *astonished sputtering*

Are you frelling kidding me.

Is Jeph really that hard pressed for DRAMA that he needs to do something like this?
    This is humour, not drama.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

You're about a week late to complain about impending drama. The whole bartender/cyborg/doughbouncer thing had plenty of that.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Sorry, I'm not following S*P.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If you have read Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett, the "A stone with holes in it will protect you from alligators" is a great little brick joke.

GW
    Read it, but still not what I was thinking of, I'm rather sure.
    Probably just my memory tricking me.

So.. Are alligators an immediate fear for Winslow, because they are apex predators that lived through the K-T extinction. Physically unchanged for a hundred million years, because it's the perfect killing machine. A half ton of cold-blooded fury, the bite force of 20,000 Newtons, and stomach acid so strong it can dissolve bones and hoofs.
    Or just because a truck full of alligators is about the weirdest thing I can think of?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #143

Not quite the same obviously but were you perhaps drawing a connection between Winslow's fear of alligators and long past Coffee of Doom employee Sara being eaten by an allosaurus?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Not quite the same obviously but were you perhaps drawing a connection between Winslow's fear of alligators and long past Coffee of Doom employee Sara being eaten by an allosaurus?
    We never did find out where that allosaurus came from. Maybe Barry has a history of wrecking trucks full of exotic animals?

25. - Top - End - #145

DrowGuy

Remind me: when did Momo start working at the library?

As a robot, Winslow might not care much about the color of his skin. Heck, if I were an iPad, I'd go for a sludge-brown 3-foot tall model if it was my only humanoid option, regardless of any and all other features .

Trash fire burned out. Hurray!

One could say Jeph appreciates the finer things in life...or that he has an unhealthy fixation with butts which may have plagued his relationships from day 1 of the first 1 to the point where writing comics is a form of release. You could also say butterflies don't have wings, and our eyes simply add them on for the sake of verisimilitude. Words are fun things. Certain levels of extreme repetition are not >.>.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Remind me: when did Momo start working at the library?
    When she got her new chassis. So, ages ago at this point. Pre-interns.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that was an odd patch of discomfort. On both sides.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

The little guy is not having a good day.

Bubbles. If he gets to Bubbles and SHE doesn't make him feel good, it's hopeless.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Shall we take bets on how long it is until Winslow decides that he wants his old body back?

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Shall we take bets on how long it is until Winslow decides that he wants his old body back?
    He'll keep the new body, but strap his old one to the face and just use it as a mobility assistance device.