New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

I suspect if Bubbles had talked to May and Momo had talked to Winslow, the comic would have a lot more "Jeez, May, stop being a d*ck" in it right now.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Who or what is the Barry referred to in the after comment??
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I suspect if Bubbles had talked to May and Momo had talked to Winslow, the comic would have a lot more "Jeez, May, stop being a d*ck" in it right now.
    To be fair being a d*ck is about 98% of her character.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Thats the alligator guy. Also the loony dude at bruns bar before it burned down.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Dude in the hat on the left.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #246

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats the alligator guy. Also the loony dude at bruns bar before it burned down.
    Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Ah! Many thanks! Jimbo v.2
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

That Ozymandias painting is my everything.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Colossus in the Playground

I dont get it. Isnt ozy this big blue god?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

OK, three things: I am surprised Momo didn't call May out for being a jerk, that May hasn't had second thoughts about reaming out a friend for his good fortune, and that tea costs two dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    That Ozymandias painting is my everything.
    I agree! "Look upon my works, Ye Mighty, and DESPAIR!"

I wonder where I can get one like it. Of course if you don't read Shelley you won't understand the witticism...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dont get it. Isnt ozy this big blue god?
    If you are talking about Watchmen, that would be Dr. Manhattan. Ozymandias was the main antagonist.

But the reference (of both) is to Shelley's poem:

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert... near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-18 at 08:55 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I am surprised Momo didn't call May out for being a jerk,
    May had been a jerk since she's been a character. Is pay off jet personality.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    that May hasn't had second thoughts about reaming out a friend for his good fortune,
    She isn't mad at Winslow for getting a new body in and of itself. She's mad at Winslow for being insensitive. She never said that Winslow doesn't deserve it. She never said that she should have a new body instead. It was the way in which he showed it [off] to her, and it came off as if free were rubbing his good fortune in her (newly myomered) face.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    She isn't mad at Winslow for getting a new body in and of itself. She's mad at Winslow for being insensitive. She never said that Winslow doesn't deserve it. She never said that she should have a new body instead. It was the way in which he showed it [off] to her, and it came off as if free were rubbing his good fortune in her (newly myomered) face.
    Except that he wasn't. At the very most he could have not done it during her job, but other than that, there's nothing for him to do that would have made her less likely to be offended. His options to avoid her being mad would have been either not getting the body or never interacting with her again. While I do say that the second option does have its merits, given how much of a jerk May is, he does, for some reason, think of her as a friend.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd be a lot more inclined to agree with May ifthis wasn't Winslow's previous body.

He's gone from "basically mobile across the room and completely useless for most things" to "actually able to do something." We've seen that AI in this universe can have human psychological problems, and being for the most part isolated is a good way to create new neuroses or exacerbate existing ones.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Except that he wasn't. At the very most he could have not done it during her job, but other than that, there's nothing for him to do that would have made her less likely to be offended. His options to avoid her being mad would have been either not getting the body or never interacting with her again. While I do say that the second option does have its merits, given how much of a jerk May is, he does, for some reason, think of her as a friend.
    That is simply not true. He could've told her in advance that he was going to get a new body. Ask for her opinion. Offer her to come along and help him choose one. Got a less flashy (and less expensive) model. There are many ways in which a rich friend can make a poor friend fell less bad about a splurge and remain friends.

Again, I refer you back to my example of a guy struggling with his clunker having a friend come over because his dad just got him a Tesla. This isn't about "who is the bad guy", because there isn't "a bad guy" in this scenario, this is about showing sensitivity towards those that are not as well off as yourself.

ETA: Also, for those wanting to put all the blame in May because she is a jerk, note that Momo was equally unimpressed with Winslow's showing off. Momo too is having to work hard to pay for her body, and it is as off-putting to her as it is for May that Winslow got a top of the line model for free. She is just being more polite about it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-18 at 10:32 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That is simply not true. He could've told her in advance that he was going to get a new body. Ask for her opinion. Offer her to come along and help him choose one. Got a less flashy (and less expensive) model. There are many ways in which a rich friend can make a poor friend fell less bad about a splurge and remain friends.

Again, I refer you back to my example of a guy struggling with his clunker having a friend come over because his dad just got him a Tesla. This isn't about "who is the bad guy", because there isn't "a bad guy" in this scenario, this is about showing sensitivity towards those that are not as well off as yourself.

Grey Wolf
    Telling her in advance would just as likely be interpreted as being rubbing it on her face, as would getting her to come with him to help pick the body. Getting a less expensive model? He hardly got the more expensive possibility, and very much should not feel obligated to get a worse option to make people who are nominally his friends not get pissed at him. And this is very much not a "I just feel like splurging, lemme throw money at toys". Winslow was a bloody Ipad going to an actually humanoid body, becoming more mobile, being able to better interact with the rest of his friends and so forth.

The problem your second paragraph here is that there is a bad guy in this scenario, and that is May. She acts like a complete jerk and not only no one calls her on it, but everyone in universe acts like if her actions were perfectly justifiable. Where the most that can be really put at Winslow feet is that he was wrong when he thought of May as his friend.
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

ETA: Also, for those wanting to put all the blame in May because she is a jerk, note that Momo was equally unimpressed with Winslow's showing off. Momo too is having to work hard to pay for her body, and it is as off-putting to her as it is for May that Winslow got a top of the line model for free. She is just being more polite about it.

Grey Wolf
    You're gonna have to explain that one to me, because I mostly just read her reaction as "Oh! That's nice...?" I'd probably react similarly to someone telling me about pretty much anything they were excited about if I was at work at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Telling her in advance would just as likely be interpreted as being rubbing it on her face, as would getting her to come with him to help pick the body. Getting a less expensive model? He hardly got the more expensive possibility, and very much should not feel obligated to get a worse option to make people who are nominally his friends not get pissed at him.
    I'm going to guess you only have friends in your economic group, if you so casually dismiss those kinds of gestures as useless. I suggest you make friends with someone much worse off than you. It will give you perspective.

Winslow was a bloody Ipad going to an actually humanoid body, becoming more mobile, being able to better interact with the rest of his friends and so forth.
    None of which has any particular impact in any of what I said. May is cognizant of what it means to have a body unsuitable for even basic everyday use. That is not what put her off. It was the fact that she has to work very hard to achieve the same, and Winslow just got it handed to him for no significant effort on his part.

The problem your second paragraph here is that there is a bad guy in this scenario, and that is May. She acts like a complete jerk and not only no one calls her on it, but everyone in universe acts like if her actions were perfectly justifiable. Where the most that can be really put at Winslow feet is that he was wrong when he thought of May as his friend.
    Being a jerk doesn't make you a bad guy. The fact that you think it does is part of the reason why you are trying to find a bad guy here. The reality is that one friend was insensitive, two friends were discomforted by it, and that's it. Trying to assign blame is the problem, not the solution.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    You're gonna have to explain that one to me, because I mostly just read her reaction as "Oh! That's nice...?" I'd probably react similarly to someone telling me about pretty much anything they were excited about if I was at work at the time.
    It's how I'm reading the interaction. A pregnant pause, followed by her just not having anything nice to say (beyond the basic "that is indeed a nice model"), therefore not saying anything at all. This is reinforced by yesterday's conversation between Momo and May, where she volunteers that showing off was insensitive. Yes, I suppose there are other ways to read it, but that one matches, I think, what Jeff is trying to communicate.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-18 at 10:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Imp

I think the Tesla car analogy breaks down when you consider that it's literally his body. In his old body, Winslow was basically a house pet. Getting his new body is like getting freedom.

(Also, did I miss something, because I don't recall Winslow and May ever being that close to warrant him involving her in a huge decision was affects his very identity)
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I think the Tesla car analogy breaks down when you consider that it's literally his body. In his old body, Winslow was basically a house pet. Getting his new body is like getting freedom.
    ... which is how many, many Americans feel about getting their first car. Literally, the US culture of the last 50 years for adolescents revolves around how car represents liberty (less so for the millenials, I'll grant you). Yes, it's not a perfect parallel, but I feel it is close enough to exemplify my point.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-18 at 10:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260

Imp

... which is how many, many Americans feel about getting their first car. Literally, the US culture of the last 50 years for adolescents revolves around how car represents liberty (less so for the millenials, I'll grant you). Yes, it's not a perfect parallel, but I feel it is close enough to exemplify my point.

GW
    I mean, I see your point here, and I agree with it in a macro sense. I just think this story isn't a particular good parable for privilege given that it's kind ignoring how Winslow got his privilege through being purchased as a servant and May got into this predicament by stealing millions of dollars to illegally purchase a military grade combat drone.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #261

Okay I didn't have any issues with the Bubbles comic yesterday but I think today we have crossed over into unreasonableness. Privilege is a very real thing, but this is not a good allegory and the mood whiplash is not working for me.
    Yeah, I think that was the point I went from 'casually checking up on the comic but not being very invested' to 'nope, I'm done here'. I haven't liked the comic's gradual shift away from its core characters and its increasing 'mangaisation' for a while, but this-- every character making excuses for May's rude behaviour and tiptoeing around her because privilege-- is just ridiculous. There are serious and reasonable ways to address the phenomenon of privilege in art. This ain't one of them.

I used to really enjoy this webcomic, but I'm pretty sure it's ceased to be for me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I see your point here, and I agree with it in a macro sense. I just think this story isn't a particular good parable for privilege given that it's kind ignoring how Winslow got his privilege through being purchased as a servant and May got into this predicament by stealing millions of dollars to illegally purchase a military grade combat drone.
    No, May got into this predicament by serving her time, and then being thrust out into society with no support to help her rebuild her life. That is crucial. Thinking of her still as a thief that "deserves" what she is getting is part of the problem.

Now, yes, the whole business of purchasing self-aware individuals in QC is very problematic the moment you think about it. So is the fact that Winslow didn't have a fully functioning body. But AIs seem to be fine with the first bit, and May is going through the second one herself, so I cannot give Winslow brownie points for either.

Again: I'm not trying to make out Winslow to be "the bad guy" here. He was excited, and he didn't think how this would look from other's PoV. It happens. And so far, the comic is dealing with the fallout of that kind of blunder more or less as I would expect. I've been there (for lesser things), in both of Winslow's and Momo's shoes.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-08-18 at 11:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Imp

Did May actually serve her time? My memory is that she was on some sort of probation/parole because Dale had lied and said she was reformed.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, here's the thing. If Winslow had gone up to May and just said "Hey May, it's Winslow." and left it there, maybe May could have brought up some questions as to how he got his new body. Now, whether or not he knew beforehand just how hard May is working, May still has a right to feel however she does about the fact that he solved this problem when she's working hard to solve a similar problem, but she would only ask the questions she wanted to ask. The issue with the interaction itself was that Winslow moved straight to "I wanted a new body on a whim and my super-rich friend bought it for me and I didn't have to work at all for it." Furthermore, he came to her place of work to show it off. Even if he didn't intend to come off that way, he was more or less rubbing it in her face, and that is May's issue.

Did May actually serve her time? My memory is that she was on some sort of probation/parole because Dale had lied and said she was reformed.
    That isn't really the issue. Whatever legal hoops she had to get through, someone still decided to let her out into society without giving her the proper tools to adapt to it. That is not her fault.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-08-18 at 11:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265

I'm going to guess you only have friends in your economic group, if you so casually dismiss those kinds of gestures as useless. I suggest you make friends with someone much worse off than you. It will give you perspective.
    I will appreciate if you cut the patronizing crap and stop assuming things about my life.

And I do wonder how much of her predicament is truly about her being an ex-con/on probation and how much is that she's a complete jerk with terrible impulse control all the time thus making it hard as hell to actually make use of any opportunity she does get?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That isn't really the issue. Whatever legal hoops she had to get through, someone still decided to let her out into society without giving her the proper tools to adapt to it. That is not her fault.
    No, but the fact that she had no friends or family to go back to likely is. We don't know what her situation was before she stole that money, but given that Dale was apparently the first person she could find who could actually put up with her enough to give her a place to stay (or alternatively, the one she pegged as most likely to let her do so) does not speak well of her life and means before she went to robot jail either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #267

Imp

Do robots in QC-verse have family?

Wait, who even built May? And for what purpose? Was she created by humans, or is she a product of the singularity? Did she do or know anything before stealing money to buy a drone?

Man, these are questions that would probably go a long way to making May feel like an actual character that I care about.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #268

Okay, here's the thing. If Winslow had gone up to May and just said "Hey May, it's Winslow." and left it there, maybe May could have brought up some questions as to how he got his new body. Now, whether or not he knew beforehand just how hard May is working, May still has a right to feel however she does about the fact that he solved this problem when she's working hard to solve a similar problem, but she would only ask the questions she wanted to ask. The issue with the interaction itself was that Winslow moved straight to "I wanted a new body on a whim and my super-rich friend bought it for me and I didn't have to work at all for it." Furthermore, he came to her place of work to show it off. Even if he didn't intend to come off that way, he was more or less rubbing it in her face, and that is May's issue.
    Yeah, and she's welcome to feel however she feels about it, but she shouldn't feel welcome to act as rude and insulting as she has. My problem with it isn't how May feels or even necessarily how she acts, but the fact that the author clearly is painting her as just in her behaviour when she certainly isn't. And he didn't say that at all; he literally just said 'I decided I wanted to be a humanoid like [various AI characters] so Hannelore got it for me'. I can understand May being resentful of it and her crude reaction is pretty much in keeping with her character, but Momo coddling her as if she was actually the victim of something here, or Bubbles giving Winslow the 'it's because of your privilege' talk? It's a clumsy and poorly-handled attempt to address the subject of privilege.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

29. - Top - End - #269

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I can understand May being resentful of it and her crude reaction is pretty much in keeping with her character, but Momo coddling her as if she was actually the victim of something here....
    Bubbles came across as somewhat reasonable and sympathetic, but the other strip genuinely made me wonder if Momo had an ulterior motive beyond just conversing with her friend. She immediately concedes responsibility and, when offered a compliment, scoots a little bit closer; a significantly intimate gesture. Am I reading too much into it, or could this be a hint at an intended AI romance story?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2017-08-18 at 01:14 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

No one besides May and Winslow actually knows how May reacted. Momo doesn't know at all, and Bubbles only got the most general description, in a statement that was highly charitable towards May. I would go so far as to say they shouldn't react the way we are reacting--they don't have access to the same information.

That's also why I said what I said earlier about how things might have gone if Bubbles and Momo were reversed--Momo would be more likely to ask Winslow for details, and Bubbles would be less likely to put up with May's antagonism.