New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Crazy Boss Idea

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Crazy Boss Idea

My idea is making a boss character that hates the gods. He believes the true power of the world can be channeled through dragons. He creates the true dragon orb, basically capable of controlling it any dragon at will. I was thinking about making him Lovell one of every class in 3.5. I realize some restrictions are present ignore alignment and species/organization requirements. Also him hating the gods means he will not have any God related classes like: cleric, paladin, etc etc. Basically anything that draws its power from a God. Divination magic that pulls power from nature or outside sources is acceptable. Prestige class requirements as far as base attack, feats, and skills still must be met. The first 20 classes should have a base attack bonuses of a plus one until reaching epic level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Crazy Boss Idea

Now he is not stuck at lv one for every class. He gains lv by defeating opponents and consuming ng there life exp. so if he defeats a fighter he gains a lv in fighter. If he beats a sorcerer he gains a lv in sorcerer. Etc etc.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Um... Lvl 1 of every class is actually quite weak... I mean they'd only have access to lvl 1 spells

Also clerics and paladins can be godless.
    This fella would sound like a Cleric with the Spell and Dragon domains tbh
    Possibly going for the three dragon domains

Also also: sounds like a really unfocused character.
    Though there's a class that does that sort of "eat X get X" sorta deal. Some illythid class.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Wouldn't it feel more thematic if your crazy boss would have class levels in something dragonish? Then again, it might make him less crazy.
    If you really want something that's a mix of all the classes you could take a look at the Generic Classes from Unearthed Arcana. They help you mix and match your own class so that might be a more viable option.
    Ur-priest would fit somewhat, seeing how he hates the gods and all.

5. - Top - End - #5

Why not just do spellthief into Ur-Priest? That gets you your god-hating, people-power stealing fluff without becoming a thinly spread, ineffective character.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There are several prestige classes that allow +1 level of existing spellcasting class. So his spellcasting would be decent to start with and get better with victories. Also his combat abilities would be pretty good. His gear would compensate until he grew strong again.

More backstory:
    Verdise is his name and he has already been sealed by ancient magics. My players are on a quest now to "stop" his awakening, but they are inunvertantly waking him slowly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think you're gonna be disappointed when your big bad dies unceremoniously or when your players call BS when Mary Sue is nigh invincible due to DM fiat.
    Last edited by Deeds; 2017-07-26 at 07:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The point of him was going to be like a raid boss or something. So he appears, kicks their bum's, leaves. Party is like oh no we gotta stop the baddy. They get stronger before final confrontation, prolly make new allies along the way.

Instead of just putting the idea down can someone give me some other ideas. I like the ur priest thing lets continue with some positive reinforcement.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I had an idea a while back that may suit you but it would require you to make him a cleric that follows no gods and instead follows an ideological belief. Like pure evil or pure chaos, which may fit this character honestly.

There are several PrCs that mimic other classes abilities that a cleric can get into easily. One that has a pseudo Favored Enemy ability, one that has a pseudo Rage ability, many that are very monkish and fightery. And you could still go into Ur priest if you wish. I'll look through the CC and see if I can find some appropriate PrCs for you if you like that idea.
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Physche View Post
    Now he is not stuck at lv one for every class. He gains lv by defeating opponents and consuming ng there life exp. so if he defeats a fighter he gains a lv in fighter. If he beats a sorcerer he gains a lv in sorcerer. Etc etc.
    So he's level 20 in every class? Finding a Fighter or a Rogue isn't exactly hard. He can probably get all 20 levels of each by killing random people in the streets, along with all the NPC classes. Either he's completely BS without a level cap, or completely useless with one.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

He hates the gods, but is he evil?

If he is evil, do you know how many levels of commoner he will have by the time they fight him.

Don't make him evil, or the PCs will have to pull out the cheese.

EDIT: Giving a boss class levels isnt a bad idea, but if this innate ability was on a PC, they would go nuts.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-07-26 at 09:32 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

VMC Sorcerer (Draconic) into Ur-Priest maybe?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Crazy Boss Idea

Senor Vorpal Kickasso approves!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

As far as 20 in every class:
    No I would roll a % die depending on that result o would increase his lv in 1 class every session. This encourages my players to challenge him sooner than later. It also doesn't make him op or undefeatable. I don't think I would want a slug fest anyways. A several stage fight, where the players have to solve a puzzle or break a barrier while killing adds. Just imagine a WoW raid boss.

He is not evil he is TN. Anyone in his way will be forced into servitude or destroyed, but he doesn't go out of his way to destroy the helpless or conquer lands.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

He is not evil he is TN. Anyone in his way will be forced into servitude or destroyed, but he doesn't go out of his way to destroy the helpless or conquer lands.
    'Kill/enslave those who oppose me' is pretty freaking textbook evil.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Not necessarily. He doesn't rush to the nearest town to kill people. And servitude isn't quite the same as slavery. Butlers are servants, and he has no problem gaining allies through funds, favors, or items so long as it doesn't oppose his purpose. A king will defend his land from intruders if an enemy nation or capture them to stop further intrusions

17. - Top - End - #17

Not necessarily. He doesn't rush to the nearest town to kill people. And servitude isn't quite the same as slavery. Butlers are servants, and he has no problem gaining allies through funds, favors, or items so long as it doesn't oppose his purpose. A king will defend his land from intruders if an enemy nation or capture them to stop further intrusions
    Just because he doesn't rush to do evil things for no reason doesn't make him neutral, evil acts still contribute to an Evil alignment. If he is forcing them into servitude, then it is really slavery. Still evil. Since the other option is to be destroyed, even more definitely evil.

I don't know why you don't want to call him evil when clearly he is. It's not like he isn't already a villain.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The point of him was going to be like a raid boss or something. So he appears, kicks their bum's, leaves. Party is like oh no we gotta stop the baddy. They get stronger before final confrontation, prolly make new allies along the way.
    If he's winning the fight, why is he leaving? This doesn't seem like it would be fun for the players. How long if he going to be popping up for? Several times over the course of a single session, maximum two? That could work. Any more and it feels like it will get old fast.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm going to be seconding the suggestions for things like builds into Ur Priests. It fits thematically and doesn't cripple him mechanically. Via divine magic he could easily have the buffs to emulate other classes lasting all day including the full BAB, some fighter feats, boosts to skill checks, etc. If he's high enough level and has the right gear he could easily be confused for just some high level fighter or rogue the first time he whoops the party's ass.

Edit: While I can't think of any off the top of my head (I JUST woke up and just kind of lazily surfing) there's ways to dip into arcane spell lists.
    Last edited by CIDE; 2017-07-27 at 09:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ok if it makes you all happy he is evil. It won't matter because as dm I am ignoring alignment restrictions just for this npc boss.

Yes I would only have him make an appearance maybe 3 times at most. Introduction, cut scene before final fight, and final fight. He is the goal of my story I just have to convince my players to stay and fight him. That should be easy enough considering one is a pally and another is a cleric of heronious and a third is from a village attempting to stop the "destroyer" product from coming to fruition.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What else can you tell us? Are the players new, starting level 1, point buy in/roll for stats, or..?

Does this take place in published world? Narnia? Steampunk?

How many sessions til the final fight? 5? 10 to 20?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The players are 15 now ave. They are about strong enough to actually get past the other challenges to reveal the end boss. It is a high powered campaign I let them 35 point buy using the pathfinder calculator fund through google. Every 4 lvs they gain 1 con. Max hp every lv.

I created an intetesting way to increase ability scores. Every lv they gain 250 "ticks" every week they end in a town they gain 70 ticks. To increase an ability score you spend current score x 100. Example my dex is 10 I have 1200 ticks. I spend 1000 ticks to increase my dex to 11 I have 200 ticks left.

They have prolly 30-50 of sessions until they reach him maybe sooner if they rush.

The story and world are my own.
    Last edited by Mighty Physche; 2017-07-27 at 05:25 PM. Reason: More info

23. - Top - End - #23

Griffon

My idea is making a boss character that hates the gods. He believes the true power of the world can be channeled through dragons. He creates the true dragon orb, basically capable of controlling it any dragon at will. I was thinking about making him Lovell one of every class in 3.5. I realize some restrictions are present ignore alignment and species/organization requirements. Also him hating the gods means he will not have any God related classes like: cleric, paladin, etc etc. Basically anything that draws its power from a God. Divination magic that pulls power from nature or outside sources is acceptable. Prestige class requirements as far as base attack, feats, and skills still must be met. The first 20 classes should have a base attack bonuses of a plus one until reaching epic level.
    There is about 100 base classes and something like 400 PrC... You wanna make a level 500 character?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If you post them yes ... I only want classes with books though. No homebrew.

25. - Top - End - #25

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

If you post them yes ... I only want classes with books though. No homebrew.
    Here you go

For what ever its worth, I consider this a very bad idea! I hope though, that you have fun with this "thing". You are much better off, just choosing 5 classes and then go 20 levels in each, or something like that.
    Last edited by Max Caysey; 2017-07-28 at 03:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Devil

Dragon Shaman is a good entry into UrPriest, conveniently.