New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

I may be misreading this, but let's not dogpile the OP for their worldview.

Weightlifting has perks. I started lifting 3.3 lb dumbbells, then 5 lb dumbells, then I made the mistake of lifting 16 lb dumbbells (I took weights from one and put them on the other). When I recovered after a week I tried 11 lb dumbbells. Due to lifting wrong (?) I slightly injured myself (right shoulder) and have to wait until that's better. However, there are perks like being able to lift open the outside freezer even with stuff on it to get ice cream. That's been about the only perk. But it's useful.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I may be misreading this
    You are. It's all in good fun.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    You are. It's all in good fun.
    If that's the case carry on then, nothing to see here.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    Oh, that thread title is magical. I wonder if we could improve famous quotes with that suffix.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
    As flies to wanton boys are we to th'gods; They kill us for their sport. Also, I hate sports.
    It was too obvious not to do.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

OP, what you're doing is trying to rationalize your own bad habits or your own unwillingness for self improvement. If you go "well all those people who work out/socialize/groom themselves are shallow narcissists obsessed with unreasonable social standards", that just gives you an excuse never to try because you don't want to be like them.

This is the way your brain works, a defensive mechanism. Your brain likes that status quo, even if it's miserable. It actively resists even the thought about introducing some positive change in your life, and you are letting it rule over you.

Also like a lot of other people said in this thread, you are being judgemental as ****. Knock it off.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2017-07-28 at 10:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I may be misreading this, but let's not dogpile the OP for their worldview.
    The OP, in their various threads, sounds miserable as ****, and it seems a lot of that has to do with their "hatred" and disdain for pretty normal stuff. If you look at generally normal things that people say and do and feel, and attribute to those things all sorts of negative traits and motivations, and then form sweeping generalizations and pessimistic worldviews based on your own narrow judgements, you're going to have a ****ty time of things.

OP needs to pause, take a step back, and relax. And grow up. As the previous poster mentions, this is a sort of backwards rationalization the OP is engaging in. You don't like to do stuff, or you're afraid to try new things, or whatever. And so you demonize it and work your way backwards, pretending you don't do or like certain things because they are bad or shallow.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The OP, in their various threads, sounds....

The OP, in their various threads, seems to me to start amusing discussions, which I welcome.

Also, I hate sports.

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Si vis pacem, para bellum, Ceterum, odi ludos..

That is pretty fun

Winston Churchill: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. Also, I hate sports

Good old Will S: For never was a story of more woe, Than this of Juliet and her Romeo. Also, I hate sports
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2017-07-28 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Michael Jordan: “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. Also, I hate sports.”
    Geyr nú Garmr mjök
    fyr Gnipahelli,
    festr mun slitna
    en freki renna
    Now Garm howls loud
    before Gnipahellir
    The fetters will burst,
    and the wolf run free

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goethe's FAUST
    Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
    Juristerei und Medizin,
    und leider auch Theologie
    durchaus studiert, mit heißem Bemühn.
    Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor
    und bin so klug als wie zuvor.
    Und ausserdem hasse ich Sport.
    Or in English:

Ah! Now I’ve done Philosophy,
    I’ve finished Law and Medicine,
    And sadly even Theology:
    Taken fierce pains, from end to end.
    Now here I am, a fool for sure!
    No wiser than I was before:
    Also, I hate sports.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Si vis pacem, para bellum, Ceterum, odi ludos..

That is pretty fun

Winston Churchill: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. Also, I hate sports

Good old Will S: For never was a story of more woe, Than this of Juliet and her Romeo. Also, I hate sports
    If you're going to Churchil, go with

Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. Also, I hate sports"
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    If you're going to Churchil, go with

Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. Also, I hate sports"
    "If you were my Husband I would poison your tea."

"If I were your husband, I would drink it. Also I hate sports."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The OP, in their various threads, sounds miserable as ****, and it seems a lot of that has to do with their "hatred" and disdain for pretty normal stuff. If you look at generally normal things that people say and do and feel, and attribute to those things all sorts of negative traits and motivations, and then form sweeping generalizations and pessimistic worldviews based on your own narrow judgements, you're going to have a ****ty time of things.

OP needs to pause, take a step back, and relax. And grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    The OP, in their various threads, seems to me to start amusing discussions, which I welcome.
    These two positions are not at all incompatible. Even ignoring the actual crimes committed by the Klan and considering only the manner in which they've exercised their First Amendment rights, I find the Klan abhorrent. I have no problem responding to their statements by pointing out how abhorrent those statements are, and how they strongly imply that the speakers are abhorrent. I have no problem with people, using their own First Amendment rights, to try to convince the Klan how wrong their positions are, or to convince everyone else to shun the Klan for their beliefs.

That being said, I also believe that the Klan, by simply existing, have resulted in spirited debates about free speech and censorship that I welcome. In addition, overreaching government responses to the Klan have resulted in cases and precedents that have clearly delineated circumstances in which the abstract notion of "free speech" provide concrete protections from government authority. If the Klan didn't exist, these issues might have come to the courts under less favorable circumstances and with even less sympathetic defendants--such as NAMBLA or someone who advocates for currently active terrorist groups--and the rulings might have come out less favorably for our rights.

I too have enjoyed some of the conversations to arise from TheEye's posts, but in general I've never enjoyed any of his direct contributions to those conversations. His initial posts tend to be as others describe--highly judgmental of vast swaths of people based on the flimsiest of direct evidence and some deeply seated stereotypes--but they actually bother me far less than the passive-aggressive, whining, borderline straw-manning responses he gives when people call him out on it. For example:

Besides I'm not in favor of living a non-active life, I just think that people can be active without doing inane tasks. Such as jumping up and down in the same spot, or riding a bike that takes you nowhere. I’m sorry if such opinions were offensive, that’s not what I meant.
    People have disagreed with him about the "pointlessness" of exercise, but none of them acted offended by TheEye's position. The folks who did call TheEye out for being offensive were very specific about why they were offended: Not because TheEye doesn't like the gym, or exercise in general, but because of the sweeping judgment he keeps making about the supposed vanity and other character flaws of pretty much anybody who does. He reminds me of the folks online who make some statement about some group of people they won't date and then--completely unprompted--decide they need to justify their position by stating a litany of offensive ethnic or racial stereotypes that they presume to be largely true. When they are, predictably, called out for the bigoted portions of their tirade, their response is usually that their dating preferences are their own business and they shouldn't be judged for them--a statement that is technically true, but also misses (or disingenuously ignores) quite a few relevant points.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Yes, having a decent body is possible without gyms. Ways to get them include rowing, swimming, and doing general body workouts.

But why though? When you are more in shape you get sick less often, have better sex and are less likely to get long term illnesses.

So is food, human life, glaciers, the sun and the very universe. Life is short, do things you enjoy. Being in shape is a mechanism for achieving more enjoyment.

Spoiler
    Show

I understand not liking competitive sports, or even other people (I have been there.) But I also enjoy sweeping vistas, swimming for long periods of time, and being master of my body. The secret to life is doing everything for yourself, every other motivation will leave you bitter and disillusioned.
    But I like being bitter and disillusioned.

It resonates well with the 18-24 and 78-95 demographics.

Also, you just proved to me that God is real, so thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Eye View Post

Also, you just proved to me that God is real, so thanks for that.
    Actually studies show that personal sense of well being increases with age until the body begins to fall apart, which actually argues for my point that being healthy improves your happiness.

I gave you as thorough an answer as I can. If the answer "it makes people happier" isn't compelling to you, it is no skin off of my back.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually studies show that personal sense of well being increases with age until the body begins to fall apart, which actually argues for my point that being healthy improves your happiness.

I gave you as thorough an answer as I can. If the answer "it makes people happier" isn't compelling to you, it is no skin off of my back.
    And what is happiness but a blissful illusion? How can you be happy in such a sad and distasteful reality?

Look at me I'm all deep and edgy.
    Last edited by The Eye; 2017-07-28 at 05:34 PM.
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

And what is happiness but a blissful illusion? How can you be happy in such a sad and distasteful reality?

By making it less distasteful and sad. Being healthy is a good way to start that.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

See, you think you are being edgy but actually you are doing the opposite. A kid who drops his ice cream would agree with you, that is how shallow you "sad and distasteful reality" is.

It is based on the assertion that reality is objective for you, and subjective for others when it is equally subjective for you. Like a bad Ayn Rand novel it sees the inherent weakness in other people but never bothers with introspection, that the beholder's view is just as weak and subjective.

There is no reality, only the illusion.

Edit: If you would like more information on the subject you might look at Buddhist teachings, or for a western perspective on it William James or George S. Sorel. Or if you like your philosophy in the form of obtuse gobitiygoop Nietzsche.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-07-28 at 05:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

See, you think you are being edgy but actually you are doing the opposite. A kid who drops his ice cream would agree with you, that is how shallow you "sad and distasteful reality" is.

It is based on the assertion that reality is objective for you, and subjective for others when it is equally subjective for you. Like a bad Ayn Rand novel it sees the inherent weakness in other people but never bothers with introspection, that the beholder's view is just as weak and subjective.

There is no reality, only the illusion.

Edit: If you would like more information on the subject you might look at Buddhist teachings, or for a western perspective on it William James or George S. Sorel. Or if you like your philosophy in the form of obtuse gobitiygoop Nietzsche.
    I don't really think what I said is deep and edgy, I just assumed people would say that I was acting all emo and stuff.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't really think what I said is deep and edgy, I just assumed people would say that I was acting all emo and stuff.
    The reason that the attitude there gets so much flak is everyone at one point or another realizes there are more hard moments to life than easy ones. It is one of the reasons teenagers seem so disillusioned, they come to realize they are going to have to work hard for little celebration forever.

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway. Love, children, job satisfaction, they develop over time along with a knowledge that you are going to move past hard times. Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

The reason that the attitude there gets so much flak is everyone at one point or another realizes there are more hard moments to life than easy ones. It is one of the reasons teenagers seem so disillusioned, they come to realize they are going to have to work hard for little celebration forever.

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway. Love, children, job satisfaction, they develop over time along with a knowledge that you are going to move past hard times. Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age.
    In theory.

You don't talk to many old folks? Do you?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How can soemone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

If I see someone wasting their time to fulfill a social construct of beauty, I will comment about.

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is?
    Nah, I'd probably invent a water droplet tracker and sell it to them. If they've got enough spare time for that, might as well be benefiting me.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How can soemone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Nah, I'd probably invent a water droplet tracker and sell it to them. If they've got enough spare time for that, might as well be benefiting me.
    I guess that's why so many people are making money out of gyms and personal training nowadays.

Same principle. ;)
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-07-28 at 06:51 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be careful about that as it can really affect one's quality of life. I don't have sources or anything and am on a tablet at work, but I highly recommend working toward a position where you can be at peace rather than bitter and disillusioned because the latter can make life really difficult to cope with.

In theory.

You don't talk to many old folks? Do you?
    A lot of the older people I've talked to have been determined (I can't really think of a better word) and lived as happily and well as they could. Of course, this all depends on the person as always. It may alsp be a different culture here.

Also, as other people have said here life's too short to cling to too much negativity. We're here, so we might as well make the best of it.
    I think some people enjoying a gym or their appearance or sports is nothing to worry about tbh, good for them. For example, I also don't like football (which is everywhere here btw) but it literally doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. I'm sure other people don't like things I like too, that's just part of being human. We can cope.

I'm sure you can find groups of people who like to build physique without going to a gym. I did a quick google and there's a calisthenics group half an hour train ride away from where I live and even closer a lot of community dance stuff and martial arts.
    Heck, you can ask the guy who does calisthenics for some info on it I'm sure.
    There's no harm in trying to get started, if fitness is what you want.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

What you need is some pep and vitality (it's okay though, I know the feels so I take it with a grain of salt too):
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-07-28 at 09:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

The Eye,
    Seriously people are made for walking, to avoid gym-like tedium, go someplace where you can see trees and/or water (in an urban environment a bicycle is a good way to get to such a place). It's best if you walk long enough the view changes a bit, even if it's just different trees.

What I wrote before still goes:

I'm with you The Eye, time spent in a gym is boring!

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Get a bicycle, or very good shoes.

Also not boring?

Boating!

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway..

Pfft!

Survivorship bias.

...Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age...

Nope.

Happiest in '92, when me and my future wife lived on unemployment insurance.

Those days were grand.

Also, I hate sports.

I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.
    Also, I hate sports.

Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.
    "Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns!" he said;
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
    Was there a man dismay'd?
    Not tho' the soldier knew
    Some one had blunder'd:
    Their's not to make reply,
    Their's not to reason why,
    Their's but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
    Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
    Sabring the gunners there,
    Charging an army, while
    All the world wonder'd:
    Plunged in the battery-smoke
    Right thro' the line they broke;
    Cossack and Russian
    Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
    Shatter'd and sunder'd.
    Then they rode back, but not,
    Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon behind them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    While horse and hero fell,
    They that had fought so well
    Came thro' the jaws of Death
    Back from the mouth of Hell,
    All that was left of them,
    Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
    O the wild charge they made!
    All the world wonder'd.
    Honour the charge they made!
    Honour the Light Brigade,
    Noble six hundred!
    Also, I hate sports.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The Eye, with the utmost respect, shut the hell up about other people, you vain, narrow minded, judgmental prat. The answers to all your people problems can be summed up with one sentence: You think other people are trash and you don't treat them with any respect.

You don't like sports? Don't watch sports. Don't treat people who do like they're less than you, because they're not. I don't like gardening, but you don't see me ranting about people who do.

You don't like excersize? Don't excersize, but you have only yourself to blame if you're out of shape as a result. And then don't whine about other people just because they're willing to put in the work that you aren't to have a healthy body.

You want to make friends? You want to learn the secrets these people you totally don't envy have figured out? DON'T BE AN *******!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    The Eye, with the utmost respect, shut the hell up about other people, you vain, narrow minded, judgmental prat. The answers to all your people problems can be summed up with one sentence: You think other people are trash and you don't treat them with any respect.

You don't like sports? Don't watch sports. Don't treat people who do like they're less than you, because they're not. I don't like gardening, but you don't see me ranting about people who do.

You don't like excersize? Don't excersize, but you have only yourself to blame if you're out of shape as a result. And then don't whine about other people just because they're willing to put in the work that you aren't to have a healthy body.

You want to make friends? You want to learn the secrets these people you totally don't envy have figured out? DON'T BE AN *******!
    Since that's probably gonna get scrubbed, allow me to rephrase that now that my initial anger has subsided a bit. The Eye, you clearly struggle with seeing the world from other people's points of view, and that's left you in a place where you aren't good at understanding that just because someone else is different from you that they are still an intelligent rational human being.

So the next time you find yourself in a social situation with someone who because of their differing interests, you've decided is stupid/vain/petty, instead tell yourself "this person has a better understanding of this subject than I do." And maybe you'll actually learn to appreciate the world in a way you didn't before.

Or just go ahead and judge everyone around you for not adhering to your specific standards of how life should be lived and never try and grow as a person., That's popular too.

PS: And as for getting fit without the gym, it's basically just a matter of exercise and healthy eating. Ride a bike, take a jog, you've got a whole wide world sitting on the other side of your front door. Just go out and do something in it.

PPS: Bragging about how not vain you are is an incredibly vain thing to do. This entire series of threads you've posted is an exercise in vanity disguised as a plea for help in human interaction, because the main conclusion you always draw is that other people's interests are below you.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2017-07-28 at 10:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    You forgot "Also, I hate sports."