New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default If you were to make Redcloak into a D&D 5e character, how would you do it?

Ever since I started to re read oots for the 3rd time I've been thinking about playing a redcloak-style character in a campaign. A goblin cleric of the great goblin diety who wants to bring goblinoids back to power. The problem was I wasn't sure exactly how to do it so I'm asking you guys. Any replies appreciated.
    Last edited by Space Polan; 2017-07-26 at 07:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: If you were to make Redcloak into a D&D 5e character, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Polan View Post
    Ever since I started to re read oots for the 3rd time I've been thinking about playing a redcloak-style character in a campaign. A goblin cleric of the great goblin diety who wants to bring goblinoids back to power. The problem was I wasn't sure exactly how to do it so I'm asking you guys. Any replies appreciated.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ide-to-Clerics

I'm not aware of anything exceptional about him. No idea how it is in 5e, but in 3.5, clerics don't have a lot of customization, it's all about spell choices, and that can be changed every day since they all get the whole list.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: If you were to make Redcloak into a D&D 5e character, how would you do it?

I'd make him a 17th level cleric, and then go read a book in my hammock. Maybe have a sandwich.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I am rather puzzled by the question. Cleric...blaster cleric if 5ed allows for that...Lawful Evil...goblin. What's confusing?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Playing Redcloak the way Redcloak usually handles things is more or less impossible-his MO when he's not bringing up Xykon's skeletal rear is to just throw summons spells and planar bindings at a problem until dies via demonic avalanche. You're limited to one Planar Ally via Concentration in 5e, and a lot of the powerful save or sucks he tended to use are also gone, nerfed or usable at most once per day. Your best bet is to either make him more of a necromancer-thematic but not quite true to the text and just give him a lot of blast spells.
    "Truly stupid wizards have the life expectancy of a glass hammer."
    -Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies