New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Making Reigen from Mob Psycho 100?

So I sort of wanted to make a "Spellcaster" who is actually just a rogue with a really good UMD and social/deception skills to fake being a spellcaster. I was thinking about taking the human alternate racial trait that lets humans get a bunch of skill focuses and put them all in social skills and UMD. For the most part I wanted to based this on Reigen from Mob psycho 100 but am more than willing to change things in order to make it more viable.

Basically being able to deceive people into not messing with his OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR MYSTICAL MIGHT or use tools to exploit people's short comings weaknesses while also getting them to realize that neither he nor anyone is more important than the average citizen of the world.

I'm not going for a stealthy rogue at all rather the ability to make it seem like he belongs anywhere and an ability to fit in with people through confidence and charisma.

For those of you not familiar with Reigen or the series this is a good summary:
    Last edited by Reprimand; 2017-07-26 at 07:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Making Reigen from Mob Psycho 100?

The Counterfeit Mage Rogue Archetype immediately springs to mind.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

3. - Top - End - #3

UMD is not really necessary, though. I have read Mob Psycho 100 and Reigen does nothing that is actually supernatural apart from when Mob gave him his powers.

Actually UMD would make it less like Reigen.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    The Counterfeit Mage Rogue Archetype immediately springs to mind.
    I looked over the archetype I see a few problems 1. I don't plan on disabling any traps and this seems to pretty much overlap with normal trap finding outside the bonus. UMD can normally activate wands and scrolls can't it? 2. The signiture wand idea is nice but I also plan I basically just cycling through whatever wands I need at the time not tying myself down to one or two which take an hour to "memorize" anyway. 3. Dex replacing charisma as UMD key ability is counter productive since I basically am going to be capping charisma in favor social skills/UMD rather than being combat able.

Rather than the magically aspect of the character what are some of the best social options a rogue has access to in terms of rogue talents etc.

EDIT: @ above that actually a pretty good point. What sort of options would you recommend that are more Reigen like? Not even optimal stuff but just stuff that fits in character like improved unarmed strike. etc.
    Last edited by Reprimand; 2017-07-26 at 08:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Counterfeit Mage UnRogue or an Investigator whose extracts are protein shakes and "smoke and mirrors" seem like the easiest route. Maybe convince your DM to allow the Charlatan prestige class from 3.5?

Shame there's not an archetype for Mesmerist that trades away.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Reprimand View Post
    EDIT: @ above that actually a pretty good point. What sort of options would you recommend that are more Reigen like? Not even optimal stuff but just stuff that fits in character like improved unarmed strike. etc.
    Improved Unarmed Strike sounds good, he has some martial arts training IIRC. Maybe Mage Slayer, he has managed to punch or kick espers before they could attack him before.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Charlatan Unchained Rogue + some Occult skill unlocks(as he does gain some psychic ability later, if only enough to see ghosts.

Potential exists for dips into Scaled Fist for some Cha-based fighting ability, and Medium for when he's been possessed by Dimple.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

I mean, you're going to want a strong will save (like, maybe even Iron Will and Improved Iron Will) if you're going to replicate the bull-headed Reigen.

Bluff, Intimidate, and Diplomacy are going to be your best friends. Do not be afraid to mix lying in with your intimidations, intimidations in with your diplomacy, and diplomacy in with your lies.

Take advantage of the profession skill as well. You may not need more than a rank or two of a few different professions to pass yourself off as an expert in various fields (like massage therapist, apothecary, sailor, etc)

By that same token, utilizing knowledge skills (even being able to make untrained checks as trained, but with a good int mod or similar raw modifier) can let you bluster your way into a plausible sounding explanation (at least to uninformed npcs, and even informed ones might be taken by your charismatic presentation against their own expertise).

UMD isn't strictly necessary, with some Perform (Acting) or Perform (oratory) and some well placed alchemical items (like thunderstones, or alchemist fire) you could have some regular npcs believing that you can conjure fire and make the skies tremble.

If you have the opportunity to adjust a scene before something happens in it, take advantage of that to set up versatile preparation. For example, while playing a low level wizard in a game set in cheliax, the party was sent to keep an eye on a cleric of some good aligned goddess speaking to the masses. I bought some cheap, thin clay jars and had them filled with water and placed around the area, then covered. If things went poorly the mass of people became an angry mob, shooting those clay jars with ray of frost would freeze the water within instantly, causing it to expand explosively outwards and shoot shards of clay sharpnel into the crowd. You know, for justice. But that didn't become necessary, so instead, after undermining the cleric with words, I had my wizard tell the people he also prepared water for them, since it was a hot day and it would be terrible to keep them standing around without anything to drink. Like Some People (hint hint, dig at the cleric). Thus my preparations were useful, even if they weren't utilized for their initial purpose.

So, sure, you might not have cantrips as a rogue, but that doesn't stop you from scheming to misdirect people so that they misinterpret things in your favor. Also, carry salt. And maybe some pocket sand.