New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 301 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

New thread. Less backlog. More correct spelling.

I've been following this comic for some time, and I admit it's changed its flavour quite significantly. I'm ambivalent as to whether or not I continue to check it, but I also believe it a lull in Mookie's storywriting prowess. Give it time and give him time to recharge.
    -In contempt of rules-lawyer court.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I don't care what anyone else says, Liked the "Brakaboom!" part
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

A brief history of my reading Dominic Deegan, based on the arcs listed in the archive.

Long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oracle for Hire: "Heh, these are funny. Nice take on the swords & sorcery setting, what with the emphasis on sorcery. The jokes are so horrible they're great. Heh. Those dumbass thieves."

The Curse: "PLOT! Hee, Spark is awesome. Nice action scenes. 'KNIGHT VISION' IS THE BEST WORST THING EVER! Okay, expositions a little awkward, but at least Siggy cuts to the chase. Oh God, now I'm doing it."

Luna: "So cute, yet so emo. Spark is still awesome. Sigh, I see we're in a Shoujo comic. Oh well, at least now the crappy art style fits. Lol ignorant peasants."

Into the Woods: "THE INFERNOMANCER IS MY NEW GOD! Oh, and Dominic's a crazy, clever bastard. Good to see a hero using his brains and insanity."

Chapters 5, 6, & 7: "Sigh. Filler, emoness and ignorant villagers. Wait, why are these "chapters" 12 pages long each? This is a three-panel comic"

Visions of Doom: "Awesome awesomeness. Jacob rocks, Gregory rocks, Dominic is...kinda owned."

The Party: "Filler, but funny filler."

Ecstasy & Evil: "This has everything cool ever. Except Jacob. Makes you realize how ugly the man's drawing is when you look at the women, though. Also, I don't know why, but Evil Opposites just rock. Heh. Those dumbass thieves."

Hello Nurse!: "Filler! I mean, Lower deck episode! Man, the limitations on the magic system are interesting."

The Storm of Souls: "O...kay. Man, things got serious fast. Still, trippy art, and I'm not one to say no to some epic action and detailed plot to wrap up a series."

It's My First Day: "Wait, there's more?"

The Confession: "Well, at least he's being honest about filler now..."

The Battle for Barthis: "Blah blah blah backstory blah blah blah SWORDFIGHT! blah blah blah tying up plot holes from the second arc blah blah blah ROCK CONCERT! Man, that arc could have happened in about a quarter of the time. Also, the political messages are getting more heavy-handed than usual." (Note: this is where I came in as a weekly reader.

The War in Hell: "Wait. Wait. HE DID WHAT? Okay...blah blah blah talking RAMBO KARNAK blah blah blah blah blah blah please stop talking and acting like *******s and fight already...okay. Well, you did what I asked, yet it was strangely unfulfilling. And why did they bring back Klo Tark? Was that really necessary?"

Tale of Two Thieves: "Stunt and Bumper rock. The plotting? Not so much. And since when do Dominic's powers work perfectly?"

Wrapped up and Returned: "Well this just went absolutely nowhere."

Class Action: "It's sad that I miss the relationship drama. This is just relationship going-nowhere. Where's the bloody conflict? And who the **** is Nimmel? Lamest fight ever."

Snowsong: "Okay. Dominic Deegan has officially turned into Dominicdickery. None of this makes any ****ing sense. Forget it, I quit. Oh look, retcons."

That sound about right to everyone?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-08-08 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Posting in a brand new thread.

I'm betting ten dollars that nothing negative happens to Dominic as a result of his superdickery. Any takers?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Nerd just summed up pretty much all our reactions, ever, without kicking an dead horses about.
    Okay folks, threads over, Nerdy did all the work for us.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    A brief history of my reading Dominic Deegan, based on the arcs listed in the archive.

Long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oracle for Hire: "Heh, these are funny. Nice take on the swords & sorcery setting, what with the emphasis on sorcery. The jokes are so horrible they're great. Heh. Those dumbass thieves."

The Curse: "PLOT! Hee, Spark is awesome. Nice action scenes. 'KNIGHT VISION' IS THE BEST WORST THING EVER! Okay, expositions a little awkward, but at least Siggy cuts to the chase. Oh God, now I'm doing it."

Luna: "So cute, yet so emo. Spark is still awesome. Sigh, I see we're in a Shoujo comic. Oh well, at least now the crappy art style fits. Lol ignorant peasants."

Into the Woods: "THE INFERNOMANCER IS MY NEW GOD! Oh, and Dominic's a crazy, clever bastard. Good to see a hero using his brains and insanity."

Chapters 5, 6, & 7: "Sigh. Filler, emoness and ignorant villagers. Wait, why are these "chapters" 12 pages long each? This is a three-panel comic"

Visions of Doom: "Awesome awesomeness. Jacob rocks, Gregory rocks, Dominic is...kinda owned."

The Party: "Filler, but funny filler."

Ecstasy & Evil: "This has everything cool ever. Except Jacob. Makes you realize how ugly the man's drawing is when you look at the women, though. Also, I don't know why, but Evil Opposites just rock. Heh. Those dumbass thieves."

Hello Nurse!: "Filler! I mean, Lower deck episode! Man, the limitations on the magic system are interesting."

The Storm of Souls: "O...kay. Man, things got serious fast. Still, trippy art, and I'm not one to say no to some epic action and detailed plot to wrap up a series."

It's My First Day: "Wait, there's more?"

The Confession: "Well, at least he's being honest about filler now..."

The Battle for Barthis: "Blah blah blah backstory blah blah blah SWORDFIGHT! blah blah blah tying up plot holes from the second arc blah blah blah ROCK CONCERT! Man, that arc could have happened in about a quarter of the time. Also, the political messages are getting more heavy-handed than usual." (Note: this is where I came in as a weekly reader.

The War in Hell: "Wait. Wait. HE DID WHAT? Okay...blah blah blah talking RAMBO KARNAK blah blah blah blah blah blah please stop talking and acting like *******s and fight already...okay. Well, you did what I asked, yet it was strangely unfulfilling. And why did they bring back Klo Tark? Was that really necessary?"

Tale of Two Thieves: "Stunt and Bumper rock. The plotting? Not so much. And since when do Dominic's powers work perfectly?"

Wrapped up and Returned: "Well this just went absolutely nowhere."

Class Action: "It's sad that I miss the relationship drama. This is just relationship going-nowhere. Where's the bloody conflict? And who the **** is Nimmel? Lamest fight ever."

Snowsong: "Okay. Dominic Deegan has officially turned into Dominicdickery. None of this makes any ****ing sense. Forget it, I quit. Oh look, retcons."

Yeah, more or less. I took the liberty of summing it up myself, for those of you who don't like to read so much. I skipped The Party, though. Forgot about it completely. Even my eyes glazed over it when I was looking through the archives.

Anyways, I call it, "One Panel Arcs."

Spoiler
    Show

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Awesome 1 panel summary, Joe. Also with todays comic, ARG! What's with all the talking heads? So boring.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I viewed the Battle for Barthis in slightly kinder light than you, but apart from that, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance View Post
    I'm betting ten dollars that nothing negative happens to Dominic as a result of his superdickery. Any takers?
    Nope, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    This was absolutely awesome. The ones with Dex' introduction, the dead horse thing and Dominic's "Dance, puppets, dance!" - "DANCE, I SAY!" especially made laugh.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'd say DD is now fully ripened for a good MST3King...

... but talking heads talking about talking heads?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    I'd say DD is now fully ripened for a good MST3King...

... but talking heads talking about talking heads?
    Well, I can't say for sure, since all I know about MST3K comes from the Wikipedia article I just read (it was never translated and is absolutely unknown here), but...

Isn't that what we are doing all the time?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Basically.

Awesome summary, Joe. I yield to your superior Abridging skill.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Yeah, more or less. I took the liberty of summing it up myself, for those of you who don't like to read so much. I skipped The Party, though. Forgot about it completely. Even my eyes glazed over it when I was looking through the archives.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something about the "stupid hick filler" panel just made be burst out laughing, and I don't know why.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

We really have to decide on one thread. I don't care at all which one, but this is confusing.
    I mean, if I wanted to post something unrelated to a previous post, I'd have to chose between the two threads! And what if I chose badly?! What then, I ask?!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I looked it up, and apparently the rough 1500-reply limit does only apply to certain forums, notably the play-by-post ones. Still, this one's got much less backlog, and two great story summaries right on the first page.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

... So they sent time preparing a costume instead of... Y'know... Killing Snowsong?

The second to last panel is also amusing. In a sad, "why the f*** was that said, it makes no sense whasoever" sort of way.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oooohhh... Notice how Dom is saying this was Greg's plan, now? Not Dom's plan? Oh right, that's because it failed and it was up to Dom to put Greg's plan back together.

Yeah, he does show his flaws quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

So, they have a murderous lunatic running around in town, and they are worried...
    ...about FASHION?!

Okay, this hurt. This hurt my brain. Say, over in America, couldn't I sue Mookie for some hundred thousand dollars for causing injury to my cerebral cortex, or something?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    So, they have a murderous lunatic running around in town, and they are worried...
    ...about FASHION?!

Okay, this hurt. This hurt my brain. Say, over in America, couldn't I sue Mookie for some hundred thousand dollars for causing injury to my cerebral cortex, or something?
    We could establish a precedent, yes. If we have enough signatures, we could even get class-action status.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tekraen View Post
    We could establish a precedent, yes. If we have enough signatures, we could even get class-action status.
    Sounds good. Although - if we sued him into submission we wouldn't have Dominic Deegan to mock anymore.
    Phew, tough...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #20

So, with a psychopath on the loose, they decided to put everything on hold and play dress-up? All so, what, Greg could pretend to be a Super Hero? I'm sorry but this is officially where I get off the train. Goodbye DD, you were fun once.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

If it goes on like this we'll run out of people to mock DD before Mookie runs out of strips...

Well, farewell, colonelslime. Farewell. We shall honour your memory.

Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-08-10 at 09:12 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I shall persevere. Only because I lurk on the *chans and have seen much, much scarier.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    ...about FASHION?!

You forget, this is America. You can sue just about anyone for anything.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh? Hurrrrk...ngghha! Raaaahhahahghk-
    (Incase anyone was wondering, that's the sound of my brain escaping.)
    Custom avatar by Vael
    Nexus-R.C. Mina gives the best compliments ever.
    Spoiler
    Show

To read a text that "Methodical Meat" has writ
    Is no easy feat, but it shall be well worth it
    For the flames of his spectacled genius
    Delve deep into you and many neurons it hews
    And asunder them rends
    And once more mends
    Methodically he arrays them again
    His readers' brains,
    From meaty stains
    New seeming, and better than before
    He leaves his readers better than before!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Even if it's your fault. That's why they have all those warnings on electrical devices not to use them in the bath...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe you forgot the little cry of "Freedom!"

Also: Much dislike for Dominic as a person now. If he's smart enough to plan all of this, all of this terrible, terrible plan, why doesn't he just sit down, talk to Snowsong, convert her to his side as one more minion for when he lets the world screw up and he ascends to deity status and rules the common filth?
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "And that makes me a saaaaad panda."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Also: Much dislike for Dominic as a person now. If he's smart enough to plan all of this, all of this terrible, terrible plan, why doesn't he just sit down, talk to Snowsong, convert her to his side as one more minion for when he lets the world screw up and he ascends to deity status and rules the common filth?
    Well, if Mookie would be reading these threads, he would have realised by now that we want the people to be pissed off by Dominic's needlessly manipulative behaviour, so there is yet hope!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #28
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    I believe you forgot the little cry of "Freedom!"

It all apart of his larger plan. Celesto and Jacob have been the good guys all along, and Dominic has just been manipulating everyone else into thinking that he's the one they should be rooting for. It's about to come to fruition, and we'll find that everything up till now is just apart of Dom's bid for power.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

29. - Top - End - #29

Why stop there? For once, I'd be perfectly okay with an "It was just a dream!" scenario, where Dominic wakes up in Lynn's Brook alone and grumpy, plotting his revenge against Seigfried who just decked him. We get rid of all the aggravating characters and stupidity in one fell blow, even if it costs us a few good ones, and get to see Dominic de-Mary Sue'd and actually funny again.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

30. - Top - End - #30

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Why stop there? For once, I'd be perfectly okay with an "It was just a dream!" scenario, where Dominic wakes up in Lynn's Brook alone and grumpy, plotting his revenge against Seigfried who just decked him. We get rid of all the aggravating characters and stupidity in one fell blow, even if it costs us a few good ones, and get to see Dominic de-Mary Sue'd and actually funny again.
    Even better: Dominic wakes up in Lynn's Brook to hear the shower running, and Siegfried steps out to hear Dom talk all about his dreams, then laughs them off and they go to breakfast.