New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3781
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Spark shows much wisdom.
    Spark is our oracle.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

2. - Top - End - #3782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    Spark is our oracle.
    Heresy! Out to Aberhast with you!
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorTribble View Post
    Her response seemed reasonable enough for me. She's aware she's magically powerful, and has gained some perspective from that and her SO, still a lifetime of having generally pessimistic views on life doesn't just disappear even after years a year of hanging out with Deegan level optimism.
    Fixed that for you

Yeah, it must've been one hell of a year!

Anyways, the main complaint about Luna's yo-yo depression is that she never actually "acts" depressed. Except for the rare situation when something went wrong for Luna, she never exhibits any signs of self-doubt or general depression. And when something does go wrong, she "shows" her depression by saying "I am depressed."

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

This is why Luna comes off as an "attention whore" - in real life, if you saw someone how acted perfectly normal all of the time, but would occasionally angst about how they were all depressed all the time, you'd think the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    Spark is our oracle.
    Come, join the Sacred Society of Saint Spark! Throw off the chaffing chains of the oppressive oracle! Pfft, brother! Pfft!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #3784
    Titan in the Playground

...I'm getting this little image of what's inside the envelope.

Dear Jayden,
    I know I lashed out and would have killed you, and then I kind of banished all humans from my homeland, but will you marry me?
    _ Yes
    _ No
    The worst part is that I could see Mookie actually doing it.

5. - Top - End - #3785
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    No, the worst part is that I can totally see Jayden checking the 'yes' box.

6. - Top - End - #3786
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought one of the speech bubbles in panel 5 today was going to be dedicated to that nude werewolf chick on the left, shouting, "LOOK AT ME! I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE!"

7. - Top - End - #3787
    Orc in the Playground

I can guess why Luna is acting this way. Every time she mopes around Dominic showers her with affection. Why should she get better when all she has to do is be depressed to gain attention?

I agree about the random nude werewolf woman in the background, who is randomly off to the side too.

8. - Top - End - #3788
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    I thought one of the speech bubbles in panel 5 today was going to be dedicated to that nude werewolf chick on the left, shouting, "LOOK AT ME! I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE!"
    Spinoff!!!

9. - Top - End - #3789
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Come, join the Sacred Society of Saint Spark! Throw off the chaffing chains of the oppressive oracle! Pfft, brother! Pfft!
    Not quite. See, he are our voice in the comic. And since the oracles can see the mookie-world god, then we are gods!

Spark:"What is this voice in my head? It's some kind of fish?"
    ???:"Spark, show the wisdom of our teachings to the world."
    Spark:"Who are you?"
    ???:"We are your god."
    Spark:"Who? The (insert name of mookie-verse god that never appeared in the comic)? Oh no!?! Are you... him? The almighty Mookie!!"
    ???:"No, We are the GitP readers! Also, mookie are some kind of fiendish low-level creature with too much power for it's own safety. We also give free fish"
    Spark:"Al hail for my newly found enlightenment. Your profet life are yours and the fish is mine!"
    Last edited by Arakune; 2007-12-01 at 11:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #3790
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...I'm getting this little image of what's inside the envelope.

I couldn't. As we all know, the real wrongdoer in that situation was Jayden, for cheating on Milov.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

11. - Top - End - #3791
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    I couldn't. As we all know, the real wrongdoer in that situation was Jayden, for cheating on Milov.
    Yeah, Milov did nothing wrong when he tried to kill her over this. Everyone knows death is fair punishment for cheating.
    On an unrelated note, I'm starting to work on strip slay using Master of Puppets lyrics. Some panels are just plainly meant for that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-01 at 03:01 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #3792

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Yeah, Milov did nothing wrong when he tried to kill her over this. Everyone knows death is fair punishment for cheating.
    On an unrelated note, I'm starting to work on strip slay using Master of Puppets lyrics. Some panels are just plainly meant for that.
    Sorry, I was being facetious, because that's how it's treated in the story.

13. - Top - End - #3793
    Titan in the Playground

Her response seemed reasonable enough for me. She's aware she's magically powerful, and has gained some perspective from that and her SO, still a lifetime of having generally pessimistic views on life doesn't just disappear even after years of hanging out with Deegan level optimism.
    Oracle_Hunter already explained it - I wouldn't have a problem with her having low self-esteem and depression, in fact, it is hardly imaginable that she would not, after so many years living with these. The problem is that she doesn't actually have them for the most part, especially not when the plot calls for her to be brave (there is one strip somewhere where she actually starts thinking poorly of herself, and then realises that she is a great sorceress and flips to a perfect, confident opinion about herself). She does not suffer from low self-esteem, unless - and that's the most disgusting part about it - Mookie wants his self-insertion character to be able to patronize her.

Hallowed be the Cat Who Does See The Flaws, hallowed be the Truthsayer!

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    No, the worst part is that I can totally see Jayden checking the 'yes' box.
    And why not? Milov is a Second Caste character, so a bit murder is completely okay on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Great. I'm eager to see the results.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #3794
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I was being facetious, because that's how it's treated in the story.
    I know this. I was being facetious too. The results of sarcasm overload, I guess.

Great. I'm eager to see the results.
    Thanks. Now I'm mostly trying to tie the panels with lines I chose: the chorus and the part in the middle.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-01 at 04:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #3795
    Firbolg in the Playground

That letter's probably laced with anthrax. Please let it be laced with anthrax...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #3796

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    That letter's probably laced with anthrax. Please let it be laced with anthrax...
    Or moon anthrax.

17. - Top - End - #3797
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anyways, the main complaint about Luna's yo-yo depression is that she never actually "acts" depressed. Except for the rare situation when something went wrong for Luna, she never exhibits any signs of self-doubt or general depression. And when something does go wrong, she "shows" her depression by saying "I am depressed."

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

This is why Luna comes off as an "attention whore" - in real life, if you saw someone how acted perfectly normal all of the time, but would occasionally angst about how they were all depressed all the time, you'd think the same thing.
    Heh, fair enough Oracle Hunter, I'll partially agree. Now that I think about it, I can't think of a moment where despite her alleged negativity she didn't quickly overcome them, and rose to the occasion (except the recent "pep talk" to Jayden, but I'd rather forget that one). On the other hand I have known people who emotionally lived for the moment, and would be... satisfied if they were doing something productive, especially for other people, but whenever there would be a lull they'd immediatly fall back into the self doubting/hating thing, but agree to disagree eh?
    Oracle_Hunter already explained it - I wouldn't have a problem with her having low self-esteem and depression, in fact, it is hardly imaginable that she would not, after so many years living with these. The problem is that she doesn't actually have them for the most part, especially not when the plot calls for her to be brave (there is one strip somewhere where she actually starts thinking poorly of herself, and then realises that she is a great sorceress and flips to a perfect, confident opinion about herself). She does not suffer from low self-esteem, unless - and that's the most disgusting part about it - Mookie wants his self-insertion character to be able to patronize her.
    Hmm, I can't think of many examples where she had to face her fears in a mundane non reality destroying situation (the pep talk maybe, but... that one was just dumb in many ways). I just chalked up her actions in those dire situations as a standard "rise to the occasion" trope, but I suppose it can be irritating, makes her character seem 2D, and ya makes her depression seem trivial.

Still something minor like... giving a lecture and having her students mock her teaching methods would probably drive her crying into the nearest sympathetic arms. Maybe the resident "love me rapist" she-orc?
    Last edited by WarriorTribble; 2007-12-02 at 02:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #3798

Zombie

Or moon anthrax.
    Or rabies.

19. - Top - End - #3799
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait! Psychic senses... tingling...

Tomorrow's comic will be a splash of Jayden crying while Milov's note is shown in narration boxes.

By the way, are there any comics out there with Jayden reading any sort of paper?
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

20. - Top - End - #3800
    Ogre in the Playground

Tomorrow's comic will be a splash of Jayden crying while Milov's note is shown in narration boxes.

By the way, are there any comics out there with Jayden reading any sort of paper?
    No idea. But Jayden definitely has to be dehydrated at this point. What with her non-stop tears of mayo.

21. - Top - End - #3801
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Or rabies.
    Or moon rabies.

Sorry.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

22. - Top - End - #3802
    Titan in the Playground

Hey... you're not some of future psychic are you?

Or worse... an Oracle?

You know, I just did a quick scan, and I think there's a shot of every other character with hands (and some without) reading something, sometime, except for Jayden.

Maybe she's illiterate?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-12-01 at 10:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #3803
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is a Narm moment if I've ever seen one. I'm still cracking up over how conveniently close to the harbor the church was and how impatient Milov was.

"I want to blow up my ex-girlfriend's church in front of her! AHA!" takes on a whole new meaning if you realize this arc is about Mookie's breakup. Somebody alert the FBI.
    a secret to everybody.

24. - Top - End - #3804

Jesus. Was blowing it up really necessary? I mean, it made for a vaguely interesting splash page, sure, but buildings don't just pop up out of nowhere. Unless they do in the Deeganverse and I'm forgetting that comic. Otherwise, a lot of labor and materials went into that thing. I'm going to assume that the church construction was funded by Milov's clan (as opposed to, say, the taxpayers - man, wouldn't you get pissed if they raised taxes to build something that got blown up because some guy's girlfriend cheated on him?) and therefore Milov had full reign over what to do with it, but damn, he couldn't have converted it into an orphanage or something?

(*cough* Don't mind me. I used to date an architect. It's colored my perception a bit. The milk of human kindness flowed through his veins, but whenever he saw a national disaster on the news, he'd feel sorrier for the buildings that got wiped out than the people. If he reads the comic, he's probably wishing they had just killed Nimmel instead. As am I, but for unrelated reasons.)

Speaking of which, depending on how nice the building was - damn it, Mookie, why is the church invisible from the outside?! just draw a rectangle with a cross on top of it or something - there could be a really, really pissed-off architect running around right now. I'm kind of hoping that'll be the villain for the next arc.

Of course, today's comic suggests that the church was actually a snow fort, so whatever.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

25. - Top - End - #3805

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    I'm going to assume that the church construction was funded by Milov's clan and therefore Milov had full reign over what to do with it,
    Couldn't it be that the church paid for it themselves? Is it so strange to assume that a church building their own religious building on a ground would pay for it too?

Besides, realistically seen he'd just lose the money from the land lease.

but damn, he couldn't have converted it into an orphanage or something?
    But then he wouldn't have purged the Callanian presence. I hope you realise that's a joke.

26. - Top - End - #3806
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Smashy-smashy.

If he reads the comic, he's probably wishing they had just killed Nimmel instead.
    We all wish they had just killed Nimmel instead.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

27. - Top - End - #3807
    Titan in the Playground

Unless they do in the Deeganverse and I'm forgetting that comic.
    Of course they do.

28. - Top - End - #3808

Eeesh... talk about overkill. Anyone else think next strip they'll be salting and pissing on the earth next?
    Last edited by WarriorTribble; 2007-12-02 at 08:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #3809
    Titan in the Playground

Eeesh... talk about overkill. Anyone else think next strip they'll be salting and pissing on the earth next?
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

In other news - how many days until Jayden reads her Angst-o-Gram? I thought it would be done on a splash Sunday, but it could just take all next week instead

Unless it reads like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Jayden,

You suck.

Sincerely,
    Milov

PS - Church go boom! Kekekekekekeke!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #3810
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Unless it reads like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Jayden,

You suck.

Sincerely,
    Milov

PS - Church go boom! Kekekekekekeke!
    Or this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Jayden,

Please die.

With love,
    Milov

PS - Can I take have your underwear?