New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    There's a bit of a difference between noblemen (and even nobled men) and elite soldiers. *explanation*
    Yeah... I guess you are right. It depends on the actual political influence of these so-called knights - if they were really just glorified soldiers, it might work out, if the position came with power - any kind of power whatsoever - I think they would be a bit discontent, and you don't want to upset a powerful order at arms.

Aside: Someone should do a LOLDeegan with the caption "Invisible King"
    I'll make it an Encyclopedia entry later or tomorrow, when I have more time.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #3962
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait, Oracle Hunter is justifying the comic while Winterwind refuses to believe it can be salvaged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #3963
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    But you guys must admit, the emo kid was quite hilarious
    I'd find it a lot funnier if not for the similarities to Jayden. (She's sad, so she only wears black now! How subtle!)

It's as if Mookie realizes how idiotic and absurd his characterizations are, but thinks that by cracking half-hearted jokes about them it makes everything all right and eliminates any need to actually write/draw his characters well.

4. - Top - End - #3964
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    I'd find it a lot funnier if not for the similarities to Jayden. (She's sad, so she only wears black now! How subtle!)

It's as if Mookie realizes how idiotic and absurd his characterizations are, but thinks that by cracking half-hearted jokes about them it makes everything all right and eliminates any need to actually write/draw his characters well.
    but then again, my expectatives are below -200%, i.e, I expect 200% of chance that this comic will epicaly suck in such a way that any patetic effort to make it funny are 'good' enough

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

5. - Top - End - #3965
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    The emo kid is stupid. Making fun of emo has been done so much that it's just too easy. On top of that, it's totally random 4th wall breaking again. In a world of magic and sorcerery, there is an emo sub-culture? It's painful because it's been done ad nauseum.
    Actually, that's an anachronism. Except for not really, because there really isn't a real historical context for the Mookieverse. That is, if there was an emo kid in 14th century Europe, for example, that would be anachronism, but having an emo kid in DD doesn't actually break any rules, except for being really dumb. I mean, in some context, an emo-like movement may have spawned among the noblepeople in such a setting, but as it was a throwaway "joke" (using the word, "joke," very loosly) it isn't sufficiently explored or thought out to make it plausable. There's nothing per se that's necessarily unrealistic about an emo kid in medival settings, it's just Mookie's handling of it that makes it bad.

Breaking the fourth wall refers to a character's awareness of the audience/medium. It's generally done by the character speaking to the audience, taking advantage of metaplot knowledge, referencing the medium itself and suchlike. It can also be seen more literally in visual media, such as here, in the eighth panel with TIM's hand.

That kid should have been a computational linguist.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

6. - Top - End - #3966
    Bugbear in the Playground

HAI GUYS WATS UP?

Ahem. Now that I've got your attention, I'll explain the several DD things that are on my mind.

1. I'm partially re-reading the comic, (for sadistic amusement), I'm currently at the Battle for Barthis, and I rather like the strips Bulgak was in. Otherwise however, I depise it. Mookie, why couldn't you done more strips with Bulgak? (Except for the thorned tentacle thing, that was just weird.) Bulgak seems like a very interesting character, now that I'm re-reading DD. Anyone agree with me? I don't like that he was basically; "I sold my soul to a demon lord, and I'm sure jealous of Stonewater, since hes intruding on mah ladie, and liked by everyone!"

2. This. I wonder what would've changed if this doodle was actually what happened in DD? What would happen to the characters? I'd be interested in a "What if?" Comic for this. Again, anyone else think so?

3. Also, This. What if Gregory looked like this and/or decided to become one of the Sacred Knights or whatever they are called?

4. Another thing. Why didn't Stonewater just run with Melna away from the clan that wanted him to *subsistuted by dead horse Melna? Wouldn't of that been easier? I mean, kids can usually sneak away very quickly, but whatever, I don't even care anymore.

5. Karnak is the Demon of Wounds. He is literally invicible, unkillable. In the War in Hell, why did the other demons say he was "The lowest and the weakest"? Furthermore, why does Karnak always bite their throats out when they say this?

6. Why is this so hilarous?

7. Let's talk about Dejah. He honestly was a little entertaining, but I know most of us DD readers/mockers have seen the gag strip where Mookie trys to explain what happened to him. What if he was still in the strip? Say, he goes evil. What then?

8. This also seems interesting. Most or all of the major races have had Infernomancers? Uh, we've seen orcish and human(ish) Infernomancers like Bulgak and TIM, but no Spellwolf or simply Werewolf Infernomancers. Any thoughts on this?

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks of these things.

EDIT: Also, on question 5, I've seen more of Karnak chewing on parts of people, and I think he needs some jerky or some gum.
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2007-12-07 at 07:46 PM.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

7. - Top - End - #3967
    Orc in the Playground

I wasn't saying it was their military, I was saying that they are fools to turn down any able bodied men, especially those with advanced training and equipment.

Also, how is disbanding them going to solve their problems with corruption? Now its a bunch of highly trained, highly skilled warriors with nothing better to do than cause problems.

So instead of people with retainers and political influence, you've just kicked a bunch of guys with swords out of an elite position. Chances are they were reabsorbed into the standard military, since they still need to eat.
    Again, how does this solve the problem? They are still corrupt. Their abuse of power will just turn into an abuse of force, because as far as I can tell there isn't much in the way of protection against that. I suppose this is what happens when you have instant communication and newspapers in a middle-ages world. You have to maintain a 'public image.'

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    There's nothing per se that's necessarily unrealistic about an emo kid in medival settings, it's just Mookie's handling of it that makes it bad.
    I'm so sick of that 'justification' though. It's just being lazy. 'Oh sure, it could happen' is a really poor way to write anything. Sure, anything could happen, but this is completely unjustified.

Edit: I was clueless when using the phrase "breaking the fourth wall"
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-07 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #3968
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFatGoblin View Post
    2. This. I wonder what would've changed if this doodle was actually what happened in DD? What would happen to the characters? I'd be interested in a "What if?" Comic for this. Again, anyone else think so?

3. Also, This. What if Gregory looked like this and/or decided to become one of the Sacred Knights or whatever they are called?

6. Why is this so hilarous?
    2: It could be better, actually.
    3: Much, much, MUCH better by the simple fact that supergreg couldn't happen this way (but we are talking about mookie here)

6: I think so too

Other than that: mookie <> consistency.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

9. - Top - End - #3969

I'm so sick of that 'justification' though. It's just being lazy. 'Oh sure, it could happen' is a really poor way to write anything. Sure, anything could happen, but this is completely unjustified.
    Hasen't some of the best science fiction been based on "It could happen?" That was my point. There's nothing inherantly wrong with such a premise, but it takes a skilled writer to handle it. Also, I wasn't trying to justify it, only trying to elaborate on why it isn't really "Anachronism," or any other technical blunder. I mean, it is pretty stupid, don't get me wrong, but as far as I know there isn't any convenient literary term explaining why it's stupid because, "Placing members of a cultural movement in a fictional, but nonetheless stylisticly unusual, setting," isn't really a no-no in and of itself.

Edit: What does the "<>" symbol mean, as used in the above post?
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2007-12-07 at 08:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #3970

Obviously, today's strip is the beginning of an arc about the Iraq occupation and the error of disbanding the military and the entire de-Baathification of the higher levels of the government contributing to the difficulties American troops have faced there. Not sure who the emo kid represents...

Actually, I may have to go back through the archives now and reinterpret the strips as political cartoons. Miranda Deegan wards off demons with her magic? Obviously an analogy for the federal reserve's attempts to contain the sub-prime credit crisis with interest rate cuts.

And I LIKED the completely ridiculous plot of Death Note, thank you very much.

11. - Top - End - #3971

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Obviously, today's strip is the beginning of an arc about the Iraq occupation and the error of disbanding the military and the entire de-Baathification of the higher levels of the government contributing to the difficulties American troops have faced there. Not sure who the emo kid represents...

Actually, I may have to go back through the archives now and reinterpret the strips as political cartoons. Miranda Deegan wards off demons with her magic? Obviously an analogy for the federal reserve's attempts to contain the sub-prime credit crisis with interest rate cuts.

And I LIKED the completely ridiculous plot of Death Note, thank you very much.
    I think you might* be giving Mookie too much credit.

*definitely

12. - Top - End - #3972
    Orc in the Playground

Hasen't some of the best science fiction been based on "It could happen?" That was my point. There's nothing inherantly wrong with such a premise, but it takes a skilled writer to handle it. Also, I wasn't trying to justify it, only trying to elaborate on why it isn't really "Anachronism," or any other technical blunder. I mean, it is pretty stupid, don't get me wrong, but as far as I know there isn't any convenient literary term explaining why it's stupid because, "Placing members of a cultural movement in a fictional, but nonetheless stylisticly unusual, setting," isn't really a no-no in and of itself.
    Let me put it to you this way. If you are running a play that is set in a fictional Renaissance, complete with Shakespearian English and such, and a stage hand walks out on stage wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt with STAFF on the front, and starts speaking in the same English as the other actors for no reason. When asked about why he was put into the play the director says "I thought it would be funny," is that considered the same as "it could happen?"

It's not the same. Mookie isn't using any kind of style. There is a difference between doing "it could happen" and using it as a cop-out. For example, in a recent book that I read the translator in it randomly translated “Would you like me to order you some tea?” and transformed it into “Tell me, do the people in your country love you?” between two diplomats, while being watched by a person who was supposed to catch such abuse of power, because he was bored. Keep in mind that the character has been a professional translator for the UN for many many years, yet he randomly breaks character and it is not justified directly.

The author didn't do this 'for the heck of it,' and it's even a really funny scene, but when you view it in the scope of the rest of the book it starts to make sense. That is a "it could happen" situation that is 'unrealistic' but isn't stupid.

Do you see what I'm trying to say? I don't think that people like Mookie should be given the immunity that "it could happen" provides to legitimate authors.

Edit: I realize that you aren't trying to defend it, I'm just sick of seeing it done elsewhere. There is only so far "suspension of disbelief" should ever be pushed, and it should be for a better reason than "I did it for the lulz." Sorry if I come off a bit abrasive on the issue, it's a big pet peeve of mine
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-07 at 09:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #3973

Actually, Garret's new look already has cultural precedence in the strip. Caylin Bren, Infernomancer of Chaos and Chief Sorceror of the Chosen, has similar markings on his eyes. Thus, I can only conclude that Garret hasn't gone emo, but has rather decided to destroy the world, or possibly sell his soul to Karnak. Or at least he's emulating that kind of a person.

EDIT: Hang on, wasn't Garret the name of Siggy's best friend in the Royal Knights? The guy that Dominic prophesied would die old, alone, senile, and forgotten (I remember that strip because it's one of the few times in recent memory that Dom returned to his fortune-telling roots)? Is this student his son or something?
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2007-12-07 at 09:55 PM.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

14. - Top - End - #3974
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

There is only so far "suspension of disbelief" should ever be pushed, and it should be for a better reason than "I did it for the lulz."
    What are you talking about? "I did it for the lulz" is the best reason to do anything. In fact, if Mookie ever defended himself for something with "I did it for the lulz," I would probably forgive him. Especially in the case of SuperGreg. That would be unbelievably lulzy if it weren't serious.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

15. - Top - End - #3975
    Titan in the Playground

Again, how does this solve the problem? They are still corrupt. Their abuse of power will just turn into an abuse of force, because as far as I can tell there isn't much in the way of protection against that. I suppose this is what happens when you have instant communication and newspapers in a middle-ages world. You have to maintain a 'public image.'
    Well, in a "real world" situation, the standing army of Callan should be sufficient in taking on an elite cadre of warriors, particularly if the King was wise enough to disarm them before turning them lose. Remember that these are just guys with swords, not even guys with guns - the amount of damage they do can be very limited, even if they all decided to rebel against the king.

Now, in the Mookieverse, the Royal Guard were only able to abuse the power given to them by the state. As actual fighters, we never see them do anything special - all of their "power" came from their authority as granted by the king. To Mookie, stripping them of their authority would be enough.

It is unclear whether Callan actually does have a standing army (or really, if anyone does) and I wholeheartedly agree with you (and everyone else) that if the king just disbanded his entire military, he was very, very dumb. But I believe Mookie plans to keep all the other instruments of the state invisible, but extant, so although we'll never see the army, they are there to protect against trouble.

I mean, heck, we never see any criminals anywhere, but neither do we see any cops. Barthas only has Dex, and before the "Two Thief" Arc, apparently a crime rate of zero.

Ooookay, I kind of got off topic there. What I mean to say is that corrupt people with no power are no threat - ever try going mad without power?

Furthermore, even if the Royal Guard are allowed to leave with all their weapons, then they are no more dangerous than any other random armed group - much less so since even their best couldn't defeat anyone in an even fight.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    EDIT: Hang on, wasn't Garret the name of Siggy's best friend in the Royal Knights? The guy that Dominic prophesied would die old, alone, senile, and forgotten (I remember that strip because it's one of the few times in recent memory that Dom returned to his fortune-telling roots)? Is this student his son or something?
    No, you're thinking of Dex "The Interceptor" Garrit. Siggy's heterosexual life-partner is named Hansi Reinholdt.

You are now free to resume your normal activities.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-12-07 at 11:04 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #3976
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, Oracle Hunter is justifying the comic while Winterwind refuses to believe it can be salvaged?
    I didn't say I thought the comic couldn't be salvaged, merely, that I have trouble believing a group of armed and well trained warriors, who even obtained some kind of nobility by belonging to this group, would take being disbanded well. We don't know yet whether, in a few (or not so few) strips we won't see unrest caused by the now unemployed former knights.

HAI GUYS WATS UP?
    Don't. Ever. Do. That. Again.

Ahem. Now that I've got your attention, I'll explain the several DD things that are on my mind.

1. I'm partially re-reading the comic, (for sadistic amusement), I'm currently at the Battle for Barthis, and I rather like the strips Bulgak was in. Otherwise however, I depise it. Mookie, why couldn't you done more strips with Bulgak? (Except for the thorned tentacle thing, that was just weird.) Bulgak seems like a very interesting character, now that I'm re-reading DD. Anyone agree with me? I don't like that he was basically; "I sold my soul to a demon lord, and I'm sure jealous of Stonewater, since hes intruding on mah ladie, and liked by everyone!"
    I did find him a pretty interesting character... while expecting to find out, so why exactly is this guy not quite as evil as Dominic suspects? Why is Dominic wrong about him? Why do Stonewater and Grench tolerate him?
    The answers were: he is, he's not, merely for plot reasons, which I found... let's say, unsatisfying.

Hard to say, really. Jayden is not fleshed out enough as is. So far her entire character could be summarized as "Oooh, I'm so pious, innocent and holy!" and "luvs Milov" (current arc excluded, which does not count anyway, since it wouldn't have happened in this What If reality).
    But it might have resulted in a more fleshed out religion, and tied the comic more to the outer world, instead of the sanctity of the Quiral school (since Jayden is a priestess, not a magician), so it might have been more interesting.

It would have saved us the atrocity of SuperGreg and Gregory's general power creep. On the other hand, I kinda liked this version of Gregory (until he got so overpowered, that is).

4. Another thing. Why didn't Stonewater just run with Melna away from the clan that wanted him to *subsistuted by dead horse Melna? Wouldn't of that been easier? I mean, kids can usually sneak away very quickly, but whatever, I don't even care anymore.
    Same here. It was just Plot, nothing else. Remember, in the Mookieverse, Plot is an illness, which causes people to behave in strange and out-of-character ways.

5. Karnak is the Demon of Wounds. He is literally invicible, unkillable. In the War in Hell, why did the other demons say he was "The lowest and the weakest"? Furthermore, why does Karnak always bite their throats out when they say this?
    I suspect this invincibility does not extend to other demons, only to mortal weapons. Also, his domain is physical, as opposed to such mental domains as treachery or the corruption of souls; I think they considered manipulating humans as more powerful than simply slaughtering them.

Contrast. Contrast is an excellent way to generate humour. Mookie should use it more often. (Mookie, if you are reading this, I did not mean by this that you are supposed to make two weeks of strips consisting of nothing else! Mookie? ....damnit.)

7. Let's talk about Dejah. He honestly was a little entertaining, but I know most of us DD readers/mockers have seen the gag strip where Mookie trys to explain what happened to him. What if he was still in the strip? Say, he goes evil. What then?
    I don't think this would be so good - this is a classic mentor character with a comedy touch, using him for other serious purposes... let's see I doubt it would work out.
    On the other hand, if he was still in the strip in his mentor role... yeah, I would be glad about it. Because part of why Dominic is so Mookie Sueish is that he is both protagonist and mentor, and if his mentorness does not suffice Miranda Deus Ex Momina takes the slot - both of which could stand a reduction.

8. This also seems interesting. Most or all of the major races have had Infernomancers? Uh, we've seen orcish and human(ish) Infernomancers like Bulgak and TIM, but no Spellwolf or simply Werewolf Infernomancers. Any thoughts on this?
    You mean except for the off-stage werewolf infernomancers Milov is talking about there? I suspect this shows the various stances of the races towards infernomancers - while humans may use them (even willingly), and orcs out of necessity and reluctantly, werewolves do not tolerate this kind of magic. At least, until the plot calls for it.

Edit: What does the "<>" symbol mean, as used in the above post?
    It's an alternative symbol for "not equal", used in some programming languages (like Basic) instead of "!=".

No, you're thinking of Reinholdt here.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #3977
    Titan in the Playground

Yo, Winterwind, you need to assemble a list of Unfortunate Implications for DD. Or, I guess I could. Hey, here's a partial list.

1) Dominic Deegan, who once faced off against a literal doomsday weapon and made an impassioned plea for saving the innocents from suffering, is nonplussed by news of a horrific massacre of innocent people.

2) Orcs, the peace-loving, vegetarian, and much put upon people, both endorse violence as a means of solving problems, and the rape of children.

3) Werewolves, the noble race of warriors that they are, regularly kill off the genetically weaker members of their tribe.

Come on everyone, let's go on an Archive Safari!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #3978
    Titan in the Playground

How about

4) In order to let his little brother have a moment of fun in the guise of SuperGreg, Dominic, without any bad conscience,
    - almost gets Quilt killed
    - almost gets Rachel killed
    - only by a wonder not gets Barthis destroyed by an exploding ice golem.

5) Dominic gleefully manipulates all of his friends and relatives in the same arc, even though they are his friends and family members, who would surely trust him and follow his advice if he just told them the truth.

6) Apparently, having an affair is a worse crime than murder, as evidenced by everyone's reaction to Milov killing Jayden's illusion.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

19. - Top - End - #3979

Actually, nonplussed means "surprised and confused." The problem here is that Dominic isn't nonplussed. *keff* sorry.

Also. Hansi? Yikes. I wonder if that's just an unfortunate coincidence. It seems to be a not uncommon diminutive.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

20. - Top - End - #3980
    Titan in the Playground

Hansi is a pretty normal diminutive form of Hans in German, and may also be a proper name.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #3981
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    Actually, nonplussed means "surprised and confused." The problem here is that Dominic isn't nonplussed. *keff* sorry.
    I'll not be bound by your standard rules of language! Like a Demon of Chaos, I can ignore all rules that are inconvenient!

In the alternative, that's how we talk... in America!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-12-07 at 11:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #3982

Hansi is a pretty normal diminutive form of Hans in German, and may also be a proper name.
    True. For some reason I'm kinda hung up on the names. I think all of that -vich stuff addled my brains.

I'll not be bound by your standard rules of language! Like a Demon of Chaos, I can ignore all rules that are inconvenient!
    Capitalist pig-dog! It took me years of study to learn your decadent Western language and now you change it behind my back! I will fight you to the ends of the Earth! *draws sword*
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

23. - Top - End - #3983
    Titan in the Playground

Capitalist pig-dog! It took me years of study to learn your decadent Western language and now you change it behind my back! I will fight you to the ends of the Earth! *draws sword*
    Psh, I have two swords - the better to butcher language!

Irregardless of your formal perfection, the devil-may-care footloose style always wins... in America!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #3984

Also. Hansi? Yikes. I wonder if that's just an unfortunate coincidence. It seems to be a not uncommon diminutive.
    The propaganda! It burns my eyes! At least Mookie isn't that blunt......is he? Eh, it's all poorly executed. It won't be brain washing anyone anytime soon.

25. - Top - End - #3985

"Look! It's an American! And he's chewing gum! I guess that means he won't kick any ass! We're saved!"

26. - Top - End - #3986

Well, looks like Comrade Rubakhin has shown his true colors. (Specifically red. (Red being the color traditionally associated with communist states, in case you're still not getting the implication.)) No matter. We shall crush you as we crush the rest of the people, as the capitalist machine reaches its apex, and we at the top stand on the backs of you at the bottom, and you will have no choice but to labor for our benifit until the ends of your miserable lives!

Wait, wait. That was the speech I'm only allowed to give at the office. Er, forget I said anything.

On a more serious note, I've been giving thought to an unfortunate implication in Dominic Deegan which tends to be more subtle than the others. It has to be the way Dominic acts toward his enemies. Now, a few of the baddies in DD have been obvious strawman representations of jock-tastic men who tend to represent the classic traits of "masculinity;" womanizing, emphasis on physical strength over mental ability, wantonly cruel bullies, having a "the strong take what they want" mentality, and considering anyone who doesn't do these things "not a man." As a foil we have (self insertion) Dominic, who is calm, rational, smart, and is attracted to Luna because she challenges him intellectually instead of feeling subserviant to him. (Of course, there's the whole thing with her being emotionally dependant on his strength, and their relationship is full of sexist "masculinity," but one issue at a time.)

Now, none of this is anything new. However, Oracle_Hunter's link to Hansi Reinholt made me think a bit on this point. Here we see Dominic terrifying a man simply because he could. Now, admittedly, the guy was a jerk, but it's Dominic's reason; he insulted Dominic's girlfriend. Now, again, this is a natural thing to do, and if this was the only instance of him doing so, I wouldn't think more of it. However, I have noticed that Dominic, and all of the first/second caste members (you know, the ones whose point of view reflect "right,") do love to gloat over his fallen enemies and inflict needless humiliation/pain simply for revenge, or out of judgement, even though they also espouse the virtues of redemption and forgiveness and suchlike. The difference between the brutal and the redemption treatment seems to be mainly based on how much the upper castes like them, as far as I can tell. However, that is neither here nor there. It isn't even always with major enemies either, but just annoying people.

Now, again, many of these instances are understandable. However, it's exactly the sort of ideals that drive the aforementioned "masculine" villains, but in a more subtle way. Dominic doesn't just like to save his loved ones, he likes to hurt people because they hurt him. "You spoke badly about my girlfriend, so I'm going to shock and frighten you." It's bullying, but now it's given a motivation, and so it turns from stupid and pointless to righteous. Dominic's bullying is justifyed by citing threats to his self, or his precious first caste, but that really isn't an excuse to enjoy the suffering you caused other people.

Sorry I can't provide more examples at the moment, but they're there for anyone who's looking for them to see. Dominic is sometimes a bit too smug when confronting a defeated foe, or, as above, inflicts pain on someone who irritates him in some way. Really, once I started noticing it became obvious.

27. - Top - End - #3987
    Orc in the Playground

Well, in a "real world" situation, the standing army of Callan should be sufficient in taking on an elite cadre of warriors, particularly if the King was wise enough to disarm them before turning them lose.
    I love how there is this misconception that people in the middle ages randomly had no weapons, and that being completely helpless was the normal state of life. Oh, right... It's fantasy middle ages and therefor it's OK. In fantasy middle ages everyone plays nice and there is no need to have a weapon for self defense, or in case there is some sort of conscription, because the King will provide you with weapons on the spot.

Either Callan has one heck of a good mobilization system or there is a very good reason why they failed at the war.

The thing is, I'm sure the army could 'deal' with them, but it's not as though I'm talking about a rebellion. I'm talking about them going around and bullying people. Unless the King is a retard he isn't going to deploy the ARMY to deal with a band of thugs. If he did the knights could just move on.

Besides, because people are too stupid to actually own weapons it's not like they could defend themselves.

28. - Top - End - #3988
    Titan in the Playground

WORDS FAIL ME.

Wow.

WOW!

I mean... wow.

How many things can a single man screw up with a single strip?

For starters, yep, our theories, which we tossed aside as too stupid, were correct. The Royal Knights were the entire army of Callan. I'm not even going to comment on neither that nor the implications of disbanding the entire army, I'm sure everyone can figure that out for her- or himself.

Second, yep, the Callanian newspapers have comic section. This hardly comes as a surprise now, but there's just so much anachronisms I can take at once.

Third... say, I don't know how it works in the US - would Dominic be allowed to do what he is shown doing here? Instill his own political views on his students? Because here, a teacher doing that would so very much get in trouble - teachers are supposed to be as neutral politically as possible, not propagandizing neither in favour nor against the government, the opposition or any political parties, and merely equip the students with the knowledge necessary to form a political opinion of their own.

Fourth... geez, second strip, and that "Please... kill me"-mimic of that young goth wannabee-knight is already grating on my nerves. Could someone put him out of his misery?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #3989
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. Can anyone explain to me why is army of wizards "bad idea" if magic in Mookieverse is utterly flawless and powerful?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #3990
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Alright. Can anyone explain to me why is army of wizards "bad idea" if magic in Mookieverse is utterly flawless and powerful?
    Because magic is only flawless in the hands of the first and second caste.