New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #4051
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I like the colours on this one. They look pretty.
    Really? For me, it evokes Sad Cassafinn in Sunset, which was incredibly Narmy.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

2. - Top - End - #4052
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Really? For me, it evokes Sad Cassafinn in Sunset, which was incredibly Narmy.
    Ummm... I must admit that "Sad Cassafinn in Sunset" was one of the few and last strips I thought to work, and to look somewhat appealing. Yes, she is sad, but she has good reason to be, and it is at least a bit subtle (instead of, I dunno, mayonnaise tears streaming down her faces, leaning against Reinholdt's shoulder).

I think it boils down to me liking sunsets, and that's all there is to it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #4053
    Bugbear in the Playground

It looks like Hansi lost a fight with Midas.
    a secret to everybody.

4. - Top - End - #4054
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    It looks like Hansi lost a fight with Midas.
    At least now he will make a valuable addition to the higher castes. His worth to the story has increased manyfold. Already, he has become precious to Cassafinn's heart.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #4055

I swear I checked Dominic Deegan a half hour ago and saw no new comic... do you reload the page constantly past midnight until it shows or what?
    Mookie's pretty good about updating in a timely manner. It'll be within ten minutes of 3:00 EST, usually.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

6. - Top - End - #4056
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Speaking of which, why didn't it flash when TIM slaughtered this temple? Or wasn't it TIM who caused this massacre after all?
    In all seriousness, it's entirely possible that TIM wasn't the one who did the massacre - Siggy did. Siggy's chafing under Karnak - Karnak wants Siggy to be subservient to him, so Siggy's siphoning 'power' when Karnak isn't paying attention.

Given that Mookie seems to have no qualms in drawing blood and violence, don't you think it's interesting that the gauntlet has no blood on it? That TIM's clothing is clean?

Or, even more to the point, that the victims died of stabbings, decapitations and were even dismembered - as if by sword cuts?

Karnak's fixated on TIM because ... well, TIM outwitted him.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

7. - Top - End - #4057
    Titan in the Playground

If this was the case, however, I find it curious that, after the events of the past few days and the interest in Siggy Dominic must, undoubtedly, have right now, he still did not get any vision about this massacre and dismissed it as unimportant for this very reason (moral implications aside; we knew even before that that Dominic is actually the most evil character in the comic, so nothing changed, we just got more proof for an already proven theory).
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-10 at 10:45 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #4058
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If this was the case, however, I find it curious that, after the events of the past few days and the interest in Siggy Dominic must, undoubtedly, have right now, he still did not get any vision about this massacre and dismissed it as unimportant for this very reason (moral implications aside; we knew even before that that Dominic is actually the most evil character in the comic, so nothing changed, we just got more proof for an already proven theory).
    Hey, I'm -trying- to find something positive here... work with me!

... aw, who'm I kidding?

9. - Top - End - #4059
    Ettin in the Playground

I personally think the plot is still salvagable. Hypothetical future plot within that I believe would save the comic. No, no dirty fanservice. Unless you count Jacob's proper return being on the Maltak Plains.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Cass and Hansi go out for a bit to get the fantasies satisfied. The relationship does not work out, as Hansi has only redirected his hostility toward orcs toward those who took his job: spellcasters. Even though he grants Cass exception because he's attracted to her, the general hostility makes him try to turn her into a homemaker. Then Melna shows up, hilarity insues that segues into...

2. The return of TIM, in the only level of violence that surpasses what Melna will do to Hansi. It's just the start of the violence, but it's enough to get the attention of Snowsong. A decent magic throwdown insues showing what TIM can do now. The end result is that Snowsong dies, and Dom is finally alerted on the Bastard Watch, allowing the pursuit of plot.

3. Dom tries to put a plan in motion to defeat TIM, but by the time he, Luna, and Miranda intercept him in Barthis he's already throwing down with a Battlecaster Kill SquadTM. Although the assistance of Deegan Incorporated proves decisive in forcing TIM into hiding, it's apparent that these Battlecasters have the whupass going on, despite the need for healing from Gregory. It is from this meeting that they learn that Scarletti the fugitive has fled for the Maltak Plains.

4. Dom contacts the Shintula chief (who will be referred to hereafter as Mr. T,) as he had a vision of Scarletti meeting Mr. T on the Maltak Plains. He explains what he foresaw once he has permission to speak, and begs for the chieftain to turn Scarletti over so he'd be able to help him clear his name. Mr. T tells the foo to screw himself and that he will not do anything to make the lives of the Callanian government easier.

5. Short version, another Orc War. Long version, the same Battlecaster Kill Squad that was sent to fight TIM is sent to the Maltak Plains to kill any orc who harbors Scarletti. After Grench gets killed in the massacre of her tribe, Stonewater contacts the remaining tribes, who all agree to declare war in response to this atrocity. The Shintula lead the charge against the BKS, demonstrating that legal Callanian magic is no match for nakta.

6. Rillian contacts Dom, explains he needs to get involved both because he's the champion of balance and because he brought this on the orcs. So, he goes to Maltak with Luna, Melna, and suprisingly the duo of Jacob and Neilen, who is now a necromantic golem. Party of five goes to help and partakes of an epic battle. Jacob interrogates a survivor and finds out that, simply put, Celesto made a HeelHeelTurn and is leading the Battlecasters... with healing support from Jayden.

10. - Top - End - #4060
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I personally think the plot is still salvagable. Hypothetical future plot within that I believe would save the comic. No, no dirty fanservice. Unless you count Jacob's proper return being on the Maltak Plains.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Cass and Hansi go out for a bit to get the fantasies satisfied. The relationship does not work out, as Hansi has only redirected his hostility toward orcs toward those who took his job: spellcasters. Even though he grants Cass exception because he's attracted to her, the general hostility makes him try to turn her into a homemaker. Then Melna shows up, hilarity insues that segues into...

2. The return of TIM, in the only level of violence that surpasses what Melna will do to Hansi. It's just the start of the violence, but it's enough to get the attention of Snowsong. A decent magic throwdown insues showing what TIM can do now. The end result is that Snowsong dies, and Dom is finally alerted on the Bastard Watch, allowing the pursuit of plot.

3. Dom tries to put a plan in motion to defeat TIM, but by the time he, Luna, and Miranda intercept him in Barthis he's already throwing down with a Battlecaster Kill SquadTM. Although the assistance of Deegan Incorporated proves decisive in forcing TIM into hiding, it's apparent that these Battlecasters have the whupass going on, despite the need for healing from Gregory. It is from this meeting that they learn that Scarletti the fugitive has fled for the Maltak Plains.

4. Dom contacts the Shintula chief (who will be referred to hereafter as Mr. T,) as he had a vision of Scarletti meeting Mr. T on the Maltak Plains. He explains what he foresaw once he has permission to speak, and begs for the chieftain to turn Scarletti over so he'd be able to help him clear his name. Mr. T tells the foo to screw himself and that he will not do anything to make the lives of the Callanian government easier.

5. Short version, another Orc War. Long version, the same Battlecaster Kill Squad that was sent to fight TIM is sent to the Maltak Plains to kill any orc who harbors Scarletti. After Grench gets killed in the massacre of her tribe, Stonewater contacts the remaining tribes, who all agree to declare war in response to this atrocity. The Shintula lead the charge against the BKS, demonstrating that legal Callanian magic is no match for nakta.

6. Rillian contacts Dom, explains he needs to get involved both because he's the champion of balance and because he brought this on the orcs. So, he goes to Maltak with Luna, Melna, and suprisingly the duo of Jacob and Neilen, who is now a necromantic golem. Party of five goes to help and partakes of an epic battle. Jacob interrogates a survivor and finds out that, simply put, Celesto made a HeelHeelTurn and is leading the Battlecasters... with healing support from Jayden.
    Not bad, not bad at all. Unfortunately, it requires waaaay too many character deaths for Mookie to even think about it.

Oh, and deep discourse. And Mookie to sacrifice a Woobie.

But heck, I'd like to see it!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #4061
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Not bad, not bad at all. Unfortunately, it requires waaaay too many character deaths for Mookie to even think about it.

Oh, and deep discourse. And Mookie to sacrifice a Woobie.

But heck, I'd like to see it!
    Exactly my thoughts.

I like how in part 1 we would witness a relationship which does not work out for a change.

Dominic is reduced to the role of a powerful and wise strategist, instead of the omniscient, allmighty god incarnate he has become lately, and there is potential for him to even commit several serious mistakes over the course of this plot.

The Battlecasters are a nicely ambiguous group, which can be drawn in the most beautiful shades of gray, instead of the snow-white and pitch-black of the rest of the comic.

It actually includes stages which work mostly as build-up to make the characters work properly when the time for the actual plot twists comes, instead of expecting the readers to have the right reaction in spite of lacking build up, thus making for a much more satisfying experience.

And it sets up a very interesting situation, from which many further stories could be spun.

Too bad I share Oracle_Hunter's doubts and suspect rather, that the story Mookie will choose to tell shall not be even half as good and one tenth as competently told (for instance, he completely neglects the importance of build-ups in the more recent story arcs; I would have to go through the archives again to find out whether this was always the case or whether it was better in the older stories, and I don't feel like doing so right now, nor do I have the time for that).
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-10 at 11:36 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #4062
    Ettin in the Playground

The Battlecasters are a nicely ambiguous group, which can be drawn in the most beautiful shades of gray, instead of the snow-white and pitch-black of the rest of the comic.
    Shades of grey? Mookie-created characters? Who are you, and what have you done with Winterwind!

13. - Top - End - #4063
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Shades of grey? Mookie-created characters? Who are you, and what have you done with Winterwind!
    I worked Symbols of Persuasion into my six step program for Mookie. If only Mookie were subject to mind-influencing spells and effects...

I just realized that my script does more than gives fight scenes to the Big Three, kills off Named NPCs who haven't done anything beyond antagonize and make teeth for Dom, and set up Jayden as a gray antagonist again. It also makes Dom, Luna, and Melna traitors to the Callanian Empire. (Jacob too I suppose, but he's a necromancer so he already has a death sentence.) I wonder what sort of impact that would have...

14. - Top - End - #4064
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It actually includes stages which work mostly as build-up to make the characters work properly when the time for the actual plot twists comes, instead of expecting the readers to have the right reaction in spite of lacking build up, thus making for a much more satisfying experience.
    Actual... plot twist? In DD? This does not parse.

15. - Top - End - #4065
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Curses, foiled again! But I'll be back, and then, no way will you see through my clever disguise... in America!

Seriously though, who said something about "shades of gray" and "Mookie-created characters"? The plot and the characters were proposed by Ganurath, and there is a good reason why Ganurath was able to devise it, whilst Mookie definitely will not - unlike the former two phrases, it is actually possible to use "shades of gray" and "Ganurath-created characters" within one grammatically correct sentence! As for "shades of gray" and "Mookie-created characters", well... not so much.
    Hey, you're the native speaker, I shouldn't be the one who is required to give you English grammar lessons!

I wonder what sort of impact that would have...
    Well, it would make for a much more interesting starting position for all subsequent story arcs, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Actual... plot twist? In DD? This does not parse.
    Hey, it was Ganurath's idea, not mine!

But you must admit, it is a vast improvement over everything we can hope to get in reality. Hey, even a Mookiemocker can dream, right?

...right?

...no?

...guess not.

EDIT: Oooh, finally GitP is back. I felt so abandoned.
    Anyhow, today's strip: My, Dominic sure is vindictive, isn't he? I mean, yes, Hansi did all these things, but to come into the room and start straight in such a hostile manner... dude, it's been months since these events, surely you had enough opportunity to cool down meanwhile! ...except, of course, that you are actually being abused as valve for Mookie's festering hatred towards any bullies he might have faced in school, and whom he still has not forgiven. I guess I can't blame you for that.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-11 at 04:52 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #4066
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    7. Eventually, Jacob gets bored and starts freaking Dominic out with his giant zombie penis.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

17. - Top - End - #4067

Anyhow, today's strip: My, Dominic sure is vindictive, isn't he? I mean, yes, Hansi did all these things, but to come into the room and start straight in such a hostile manner... dude, it's been months since these events, surely you had enough opportunity to cool down meanwhile! ...except, of course, that you are actually being abused as valve for Mookie's festering hatred towards any bullies he might have faced in school, and whom he still has not forgiven. I guess I can't blame you for that.
    Stonewater rapes Melna - Melna keeps quiet and tries to talk it over with him in private after a demon corrupts her and makes her slander her heroic rescuer

Hansi insults Dominic's girlfriend - Dominic acts like a child the instant he sees Hansi and indirectly relays an insult to his girlfriend with self-esteem problems who is right there.

All hail Dominus, and may his vengeance fall swiftly upon his enemies.
    Last edited by ElfLad; 2007-12-11 at 05:05 AM.
    a secret to everybody.

18. - Top - End - #4068
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

19. - Top - End - #4069
    Titan in the Playground

Stonewater rapes Melna - Melna keeps quiet and tries to talk it over with him in private after a demon corrupts her and makes her slander her heroic rescuer

Hansi insults Dominic's girlfriend - Dominic acts like a child the instant he sees Hansi and indirectly relays an insult to his girlfriend with self-esteem problems who is right there.

All hail Dominus, and may his vengeance fall swiftly upon his enemies.
    But here's the confusing part ... Mookie realized that said girlfriend was right there. She gives what seems like a pretty realistic reaction to it, at least in her expression. Now she hasn't given any dialogue yet, so there's a good chance that she'll completely destroy the credibility of the scene. But still, this is quite perplexing.

20. - Top - End - #4070
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. Dominic is vindicative bastard, isn't he? Seriously, he remembers a guy who was assisting Siegfried in arresting him and said something offensive about Luna, even though there's been few months full of events afer they met, and he didn't even know Hansi Whatshisname back then. It's almost as if Mr. Deegan scrupulously noted everyone who slighted him in the past so that he can take revenge later. He should join Linear Guild.
    Also, it's not as if it was rude, petty or anything.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-11 at 09:37 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #4071
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    But here's the confusing part ... Mookie realized that said girlfriend was right there. She gives what seems like a pretty realistic reaction to it, at least in her expression. Now she hasn't given any dialogue yet, so there's a good chance that she'll completely destroy the credibility of the scene. But still, this is quite perplexing.
    I have a theory about Dominic's childish response to seeing Hansi. Now in convenient slay-form:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #4072
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, that was petty even for Dominic.

You know, Dom, usually a "I remember you" with a nasty expression is quite sufficient. *shakes head gravely*

Just goes to show, multiple murder is forgiveable, but not an offhand racial slur.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

23. - Top - End - #4073
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Lovely! An off-hand insult from someone forgettable said over a year ago is remembered perfectly!

Whoah, does Dom hold a -grudge-. And spitting it out in front of said girlfriend who has enough self-esteem problems as it is (namely, whenever it's plot important)...

24. - Top - End - #4074
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

And with enough power to burn the store to ashes...

Also, how this guy now so suddenly can use magic? It was implied before or it's just some short of 'make up power in the road run'.

Man, I think there is something in TVtropes about this that doesn't look at 'As powerful as need to be'

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

25. - Top - End - #4075
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    Also, how this guy now so suddenly can use magic? It was implied before or it's just some short of 'make up power in the road run'.
    It's heavily implied that, unless one is magic immune, anyone can use some sort of magic in DDverse (scrolls, anyone).

That kind of implies that anyone who spends the time can learn at least a little magic - just with study and the ability to read.

ORRRR...

Mookie's just giving him Magic Powers so there's Something In Common.

I'll take door #2.

26. - Top - End - #4076
    Ettin in the Playground

Dom is but a tool for my plot, nothing more. It is not the hostility toward spellcasters that I foresaw, but it's an opportunity for actions to speak louder than words. He just needs to raise his fist as though to swing, doesn't even need to follow through, and we can cut to TIM attacking that Temple where Snowsong is resting.

Dance, puppets, dance!

27. - Top - End - #4077
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I can clear up this "Hansi Reinholdt has magic" confusion:

"But you said you can use magic. Why not get trained as a battlecaster?"

"What? No, I said I had powerful magic in bed."

"So? Be an Seer! They don't have to be on the front lines!"
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #4078
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by junovalkyrie View Post
    I have a theory about Dominic's childish response to seeing Hansi. Now in convenient slay-form:

Spoiler
    Show
    I like your version way better.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

29. - Top - End - #4079
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    No, no, this is justified. We see him using a teleport scroll here.

I'm pretty sure you have to be magic to use scrolls - otherwise Siggy would have come on his own. It's not explicit anywhere, but that's just because over half of the Tier I & II character can use magic. Rachel, Pam, Szark, Donovan and Spark are the only exceptions.

Also: damn Mookie, don't you see how childish your dialog there was? I understand you don't like leaving anything to the imagination in your strip, but come on! Yeah, it's been said, but I had to add my frustration.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #4080
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Lovely! An off-hand insult from someone forgettable said over a year ago is remembered perfectly!

Whoah, does Dom hold a -grudge-. And spitting it out in front of said girlfriend who has enough self-esteem problems as it is (namely, whenever it's plot important)...
    I wonder if, whenever somebody wrongs him, he stitches it into that scarf of his. You know, kind of like "A Tale of Two Cities." So he never loses track of it. That scarf does seem to be getting longer...