New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #4171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    We thought it was bad.
    We thought it could not become worse.
    We were wrong.

Which obviously poses the question - have we reached the bottom yet? Or how far down does this rabbit hole to Blunderland still go?
    DON'T! Do we really want to know how deep can this webcomic sink? Better not tempt fate. We're already approaching point where mocking it isn't funny anymore. What will be next?
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-14 at 09:30 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #4172
    Titan in the Playground

"Bolded him being the chimpanzee?" - Telonius

I am not quite sure yet. Maybe.
    Due to recent evidence, I am confident in saying that the bolded him was, in fact, the chimpanzee.

And also that we are seeing a fantasy of Cassafinn's, rather than what is actually happening. Prediction: Next strip, Cassafinn and Hansi are still talking at the table, and Hansi asks her to stop zoning out for a second.

Theory: TIM is messing with people's emotions and dreams, leading to uncharacteristic responses.

(Woohoo for 100's on sanity checks.)
    Last edited by Telonius; 2007-12-14 at 09:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #4173
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok guys, I tried to read this comic, but about 600 or something, I resigned.
    (Beacuse after reading "What a lovely world we're fighting to save" third time I wanted to bite my own face)

Now I occasionally read it, I also read those stripslays which some crazed folks are making.

So now when I'm reading, I find in it great deal of complete absurd, abstract dialogues and generally quite amount of fun. I'm thinking "Haha, what a nice Strip Slay".

Then I realise I'm seeing white all around, and that I'm reading original DD strip.

Is that normal?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4174
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Here in Brasil there are some quite intelligent one panel comic which resumes in this: if you found the bottom of the pit, it's because you didn't look enough.

I think I'm pretty immune to his attempt to destroy my SAN. You know, when you SAN is at 1, it's not everything that can shock you.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

5. - Top - End - #4175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    DON'T! Do we really want to know how deep can this webcomic sink? Better not tempt fate. We're already approaching point where mocking it isn't funny anymore. What will be next?
    Pretty much this "The Call of M'hookeehthulu"-thing, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Due to recent evidence, I am confident in saying that the bolded him was, in fact, the chimpanzee.
    Yeah, but why did it stop?
    Maybe being used as a club was too much for the chimpanzee after all...

And also that we are seeing a fantasy of Cassafinn's, rather than what is actually happening. Prediction: Next strip, Cassafinn and Hansi are still talking at the table, and Hansi asks her to stop zoning out for a second.
    This would explain a lot. Unfortunately, I doubt it - if it was that, he would have used it as punch-line in today's strip.

Theory: TIM is messing with people's emotions and dreams, leading to uncharacteristic responses.
    And here I thought that was Mookie's job!

(Woohoo for 100's on sanity checks.)
    Though admittedly, it is hard to roll anything lower, confronted with stupidity of this degree.
    'sides, I'm pretty sure the SAN loss is pretty high even if you succeed at the check.
    Remember, 5 points - short-term insanity, one fifth of your current points - long-term insanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Is that normal?
    Yes, perfectly normal.
    Though if you want the truly bizarre remarks, you should look around this thread here.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #4176
    Titan in the Playground

This would explain a lot. Unfortunately, I doubt it - if it was that, he would have used it as punch-line in today's strip.
    The thing is, that would have been funny.

7. - Top - End - #4177
    Troll in the Playground

Man, reading over your responses, and the madness that even thinking about this strip entails, I'm glad that I'm entirely illiterate. If I could understand these things, I might go crazy or something.

Hee hee hee hee hee.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

8. - Top - End - #4178
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, but they are not indoctrinating their soldiers to hate the orcs. The soldiers merely try to suck up to their superiors, who in this case happen to be the Damaske family, who are racists. In a modern, non-corrupt military, I imagine sucking up to superiors is not strictly necessary to advance, but back in a time where nobility exists and has supreme control, with the military being much smaller and operating on a smaller, more personal scale? It doesn't seem so unrealistic to me that parroting the nobleman superior officer's agenda would benefit your carreer.
    Granted. But Taking into account the fact that Mookie's world is NOT a medieval setting, and That Mookie has a disturbing need to try and force his views of the world on his readers, I don't like the connotation it gives to Modern Military.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

9. - Top - End - #4179
    Ettin in the Playground

Mookie has one last chance before I remove DD from the list. He had a chance to do great things, and totally screwed it up. Boop you, Mookie.

10. - Top - End - #4180
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Mookie has one last chance before I remove DD from the list. He had a chance to do great things, and totally screwed it up. Boop you, Mookie.
    He always has a chance to do a great storyline...

Then he puts in his black-and-white-no-grey worldview, full of spineless people incapable of doing anything without a Caste 1 member to hold their hand...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #4181
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Granted. But Taking into account the fact that Mookie's world is NOT a medieval setting, and That Mookie has a disturbing need to try and force his views of the world on his readers, I don't like the connotation it gives to Modern Military.
    Fair enough, and I suppose you are quite likely right about that. I try to not think about that myself (for it doesn't make sense to make the comic appear even worse than it does anyway by looking for additional failures like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    No! Every time a Mookiemocker gives up, God creates a LiveJournal-Fanboy! Think about the LJ-fanboys!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #4182
    Ettin in the Playground

No! Every time a Mookiemocker gives up, God creates a LiveJournal-Fanboy! Think about the LJ-fanboys!
    Like I said, one last chance. If Mookie fails, I'll announce the deletion so you guys know to PM me when Jacob gets a fight scene.

13. - Top - End - #4183
    Orc in the Playground

That was the most bizarre thing I've ever read. Mookie just crossed a line somewhere, but I'm not sure what line that was. Something about a character making an offhand statement about how she "needed to get laid." That, and the fact that laid is in bold.

I just... I don't even know what the heck just happened. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turns out he had HIV or some other STD? Or she got pregnant, since she seemed to be in way too much of a rush for a 'protection scroll.' I'm not for repressing sex, but I'm all for people to be aware that 'causal sex' has drawbacks if you aren't careful about it like Cassafinn was.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-14 at 12:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #4184
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wait.... LJ fanboy? You mean that asstard actually still has fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

15. - Top - End - #4185
    Firbolg in the Playground

More importantly, Mookie himself has stated that protection scrolls are not only considered a necessary part of safe sex but also that not using a protection scroll makes you an evil bastard who is willing to kill lovers over slights and is secretly responsible for everything bad that has happened to anyone, even off-screen.

How much you wanna bet she gets pregnant and is forced to resign in shame?
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #4186
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    I just... I don't even know what the heck just happened. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turns out he had HIV or some other STD? Or she got pregnant, since she seemed to be in way too much of a rush for a 'protection scroll.' I'm not for repressing sex, but I'm all for people to be aware that 'causal sex' has drawbacks if you aren't careful about it like Cassafinn was.
    Well, people may rag on VGCats, but... this came to mind.

Replace 'bandages' with 'magic' and ... well, you can guess the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Of course! He still has blind sycophants. Although, that does make it easy for folks to stir them up now and then when they question DerMookie...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-12-14 at 01:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #4187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Supposedly so. Though I never ventured into the Lifejournal community; but some other posters here should be able to tell you some horror stories about the LJ fanboys' sheepishness.

It just occured to me that today's strip basically proves Mewtarthio was perfectly right with his "The Royal Knights must have been incredible sex gods!" theory. Eerie.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #4188
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dunno, they could've used a protection ... scroll. Stupid Mookieverse. Every time I hear that phrase I picture somebody rolling up a bit of parchment and stapling it shut at one end. I mean, she had the presence of mind to take off her earrings both times.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

19. - Top - End - #4189

Actually, even the LJ community is starting to abandon Mookie.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

20. - Top - End - #4190
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Actually, even the LJ community is starting to abandon Mookie.
    Which part are you referring to, there?

21. - Top - End - #4191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    *reads a bit*

Groan... the pain...

I didn't see the part Mewtarthio was referring to, but I sure as heck did see posts claiming this was "realistic" and "romantic".

Which was the point at which I ran (or rather, clicked) away, screaming in utter terror.

Mewtarthio, are you trying to kill me?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and, if you forgive the somewhat egocentric question, were they ever confronted with the Caste System or, even better, the Encyclopedia Dominica? 'Cause I'm curious how they would react to that!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-14 at 01:23 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #4192
    Ettin in the Playground

*reads a bit*

Groan... the pain...

I didn't see the part Mewtarthio was referring to, but I sure as heck did see posts claiming this was "realistic" and "romantic".

Which was the point at which I ran (or rather, clicked) away, screaming in utter terror.

Mewtarthio, are you trying to kill me?
    I feel your pain, but I'm pretty sure it's less the LJ support and more the oatmeal squares cereal.

23. - Top - End - #4193
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

EDIT: Oh yeah, and, if you forgive the somewhat egocentric question, were they ever confronted with the Caste System or, even better, the Encyclopedia Dominica? 'Cause I'm curious how they would react to that!
    Don't think so! Think we should?

24. - Top - End - #4194
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, there's lots of inside jokes in that thing, and I kinda... fear what might happen to me then , but it sure would be interesting to see how they would react!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #4195
    Ogre in the Playground

So this is what it feels like to be an investigator in a Call of Cthulhu game...

Anyone think we have a case for Mookie causing us severe emotional distress?

26. - Top - End - #4196
    Titan in the Playground

*reads today's strip*

*sighs*

Mookie wins the award for "most potentially interesting characters mooted in one strip," "most character decay in one strip," and "most abrupt resolution."

The award of each is a flaming bag o' poo at his doorstep.

Rant
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some explanations of the awards
    1. Most Mooted: Cassa and Hansi had the potential in a way much different from all other characters in the strip. Cassa was a strong-minded woman, dedicated to her principles, who just hadn't had much screen-time. Hansi was an ex-Knight who apparently underwent actual character development (yes, off screen, but he was a minor character) and actually could have been an outlet for Mookie to explore the relationship between mind and muscle, and force and diplomacy. However, this strip destroyed any potential development for Cassa (she is now "horny girl") and Hansi (he is now "boy toy") and although the relationship is "different" from normal Mookie relationships, it is still as awkwardly portrayed. Nobody cares about them anymore.
    2. Most Decay: Aside from Cassa and Hansi - what the hell happened to Melna? Didn't she used to be a feminist cypher? Wouldn't her intial relationship with sex have made her a bit warry about people who treat it as a purely physical need to be satisfied? Wasn't she just getting used to forgiving Stonewater for his rape, and perhaps getting in touch with her personal sexuality/romantic relationships? Suddenly she has absolutely no problem with meaningless sex? Character Decay writ large. Three in one strip beats the two-in-one during "Shadow," if you're keeping count.
    3. Most Abrupt Resolution: Miranda's like - hey, I can't decide between two perfectly chosen candidates, each representing a different perspective for the future of the University. Indeed, this is a hard and trying decis - oh wait, Cassa had sex, she wins! What was she representing anyhow? I don't think it matters. Yes, this was a sub-plot, but damn if Mookie hadn't made it the central plot for half of an arc.

In conclusion: Mookie, you suck. You suck hard. You are rapidly approaching the threshold of "so bad it's horrible," and I enjoy bad things. Tromeo and Juliet is one of my favorite movies, Zardoz is good, the "Phillip K." is evil, and I watched Nukie twice. Yet you, you are killing my spirit with your terrible scripting, abrupt plotting, and total lack of awareness. And I cannot turn away, and I don't know why. Perhaps Mookie has made some sort of dark pact to make his work so compelling, despite it's obvious flaws. There is no emoticon to describe what I am feeling right now.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #4197

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Well, actually, it's just like two or three guys, but at least it's a foothold, right?

28. - Top - End - #4198
    Titan in the Playground

I stand by my prediction. It was all just a dream.

29. - Top - End - #4199
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What's the difference between the racist and the racist idiot?
    Ooo, don't go there. Seriously. To do so is to just degrade the status of actual racism to the level of simple idiocy, when hopefully we all know it is not that at all. Racists exist, and many of them are not the way they are because they 'got something wrong' or 'don't know any better'. No. Some of them are just nasty, and I'd hate it if you let them off that easily by just thinking that they are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    Yeah, this is kind of a weird comic. Is it just me, or is a girl saying "thank you", twice, for sex, totally absurd in every kind of situation? Hell, even with a guy it would be pathetic. Also, do you really picture Cassafinn talking casually about her sex life with the people she works with? Girls don't brag about getting laid, more often than not. I mean, never mind show don't tell, this is just ridiculous.
    You have a strange view of women, I must say. You know, they're really not all that different from men a lot of the time. Many like to brag about conquests, many enjoy sex, etc etc. One saying thank you for sex is really not unheard of at all. Jesus, to think that a women liking sex in much the same as a guy does is 'pathetic'? You serious?!

PS: I actually had totally forgotten who Cassyfin was until this latest comic reminded me. Also, is her normal not just totally "I HAVE BOOBS" anyway? Personally, I'm surprised she's not shagging guys in parking lots and whatnot every single time she's off-panel.

30. - Top - End - #4200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    How much you wanna bet she gets pregnant and is forced to resign in shame?
    Even worse, wanna bet she knows she is pregnant the very next morning?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!