New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #4261
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

He are making some kind of anniversary present to Luna (maybe about the first time they meet?) and are doing all in secret. Hilarity ensues, all things end well but then we will got some glimpse of the next Dark and Eager arc will be.

It's so classical that even Mookie can make it 1/130000 less bad.

Edit: Man, I need to read it first before posting. But then again, it's mookie. Of course someone had to post it before me.
    Last edited by Arakune; 2007-12-17 at 06:25 AM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

2. - Top - End - #4262
    Orc in the Playground

Why do people in DD always have anger management issues?

3. - Top - End - #4263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    Because Mookie has no idea on how to make a quietly angry character. Good enough reason?
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

4. - Top - End - #4264
    Troll in the Playground

No, Luna! Don't do it!

Of course Dominic is a manipulative puppetmaster! You already knew that! But don't you realize that complete and unquestioning belief in him is the only way for you to guarantee your plot immunity?

If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

5. - Top - End - #4265
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Because, due to Mookie's inability to express emotions, he has to write reactions over the top so it's clear to his average fanboy what the mood of the character is.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #4266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I'm willing to give it a shot, but don't be surprised if I just stop for little to no reason... it's just how I work (or, more appropriately, don't work).
    That's okay.
    Fine, so let's do this; I'm afraid I probably won't have the time, or rather, the peace of mind to devote myself to a project of this magnitude this week, but I'll make sure to PM you as soon as I'm ready to get this under way. ElfLad, are you in that, too?

(I also must say, though, that I believe this project would be better off with Mewtarthio instead of me; I feel his creative/parodic talents surpass mine easily, as evidenced by the stripslays and the stories (the horrible, horrible stories... why won't they leave me alone, why?! ) he always makes up)

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Start making comics to show that it was all a ridiculous satire and parody? How about make it so crazy that it is impossible to look at seriously?
    Heh, yeah, that would indeed help - though I am not sure how he could include something sufficiently ridiculous for us to see with certainty that he must mean it as parody, instead of just slipping further into the realms of madness as he has done recently. However, I actually meant how he could make the plot develop and his characters behave in order to actually make DD work as what it is supposed to be - serious and dramatic stories interspaced with humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    You know, I find it interesting how thoroughly inconsistent Mookie's portrayal of Barthis is.[...]
    Note, also, how Dominic remarked last time, after the Visions of Doom arc, how most of the questions brought to him were actually fairly intelligent. Which leaves only one explanation: The people of Barthis were lobotomized by the stupidity of SuperGreg! That's right - the people in the Deeganverse suffer at least as much under the idiocy of the comic as we do in this thread! Just a few more strips of this Lovecraftian nonsense, and they will permanently be degraded to animalistic monstrosities, neither beast nor human, but some horrible hybrid in between... stalking the ruins of their former glory with widened eyes, touching the remnants of their civilisation with sparks of remembrance, but no understanding. Mad and brainless ghouls, they shall scavenge on what was once Barthis, not known by any name anymore. And when even those wrecks of former human beings will have passed on into the shadow, the earth shall be cleansed and pure again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    As a side note, did Nimmel just checkmate Luna in one move? I guess that sort of thing's possible with whatever weird game their playing (it seems to involve a bunch of nondescript black-and-white cylinders on a checkerboard), but it still seems off.
    I think either they had already been playing, and when Luna said "Let's play" she actually meant "Let's continue playing", or some time has passed between the fifth and sixth panel. Of course, Mookie is incapable of making either evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I have the feeling that Luna has been reading this thread, and that she has finally SEEN THE TRUTH about what a jerk Dom is.
    That's actually exactly what I thought, too. I mean, "puppet master"? It only barely relates to what Dominic did/said here, but it fits perfectly to our main accusations against him!

(By the way, M0rt, how are you progressing with your slay?)

If I was mean I would speculate this has something to do with Mookie's understanding of "maturity", or rather, his lack of understanding thereof.
    Good thing I'm not mean, so I'll just join in with CrazyFatGoblin's and sihnfahl's explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    No, Luna! Don't do it!

Of course Dominic is a manipulative puppetmaster! You already knew that! But don't you realize that complete and unquestioning belief in him is the only way for you to guarantee your plot immunity?

Even worse - she risks Caste degradation!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and, speaking of maturity, did you notice how Dominic actually told Luna they could speak, she just had to wait a few minutes? Obviously, upon learning Dominic would not tell her what he is doing, she not only did not wait for a clarification about his motives, she also was no longer willing to wait these few minutes to have this talk she wanted herself initially! What do you think, does this grant her the title of Five-Year-Old-Mind Drama Queen? Admittedly, the competition is pretty tough...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-17 at 10:29 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #4267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Note, also, how Dominic remarked last time, after the Visions of Doom arc, how most of the questions brought to him were actually fairly intelligent. Which leaves only one explanation: The people of Barthis were lobotomized by the stupidity of SuperGreg! That's right - the people in the Deeganverse suffer at least as much under the idiocy of the comic as we do in this thread!
    It's more like minds of lesser beings are entirely dependable on the mind of Dominic- if he needs to feel superior, they get dumber. When he needs to get more optimistic, they get smarter.

(By the way, M0rt, how are you progressing with your slay?)
    Well... I managed to match few lines with panels, but then some issues forced me to devote time to something more serious. Though now it seems that first thing to do is to get the damn thing to upload on Photobucket.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #4268
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm thinking Mayor Pam is the greatest person in the Deeganverse for finding Dominic's Kryptonite when it comes to meddling in affairs of the world and judiciously applying it to him.

HAIL CHAOS! HAIL DISCORD! HAIL Luna actually growing a spine and standing up to her boyfriend for once, sheesh. I can deal with the juvenile antics since it's not her breaking down into a self-pitying blob.

9. - Top - End - #4269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    It's more like minds of lesser beings are entirely dependable on the mind of Dominic- if he needs to feel superior, they get dumber. When he needs to get more optimistic, they get smarter.
    Oh yes, the control the Dominus has over his subjects is great indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Well... I managed to match few lines with panels, but then some issues forced me to devote time to something more serious. Though now it seems that first thing to do is to get the damn thing to upload on Photobucket.
    I see. Oh, well, take your time, we can wait.

(No, really - since my parents decided that we stay in Germany over this Christmas, instead of going back to Poland, I won't even be able to hunt you down to force you finishing it. )

Quote Originally Posted by Tekraen View Post
    I'm thinking Mayor Pam is the greatest person in the Deeganverse for finding Dominic's Kryptonite when it comes to meddling in affairs of the world and judiciously applying it to him.
    Right on. Though I wonder how long it will take yet until she gets hit by repercussions - probably a Karmic Death - for that - I mean, causing the Dominus discomfort? I think that qualifies as Raping the Dog!

HAIL CHAOS! HAIL DISCORD! HAIL Luna actually growing a spine and standing up to her boyfriend for once, sheesh. I can deal with the juvenile antics since it's not her breaking down into a self-pitying blob.
    Do you seriously think this will not happen yet? I fully expect her to burst in tears and sob how she is drifitng away from Dominic and it's all her fault within the next few strips.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #4270

ElfRangerGuy

Do you seriously think this will not happen yet? I fully expect her to burst in tears and sob how she is drifitng away from Dominic and it's all her fault within the next few strips.
    Oh, I was positive it would happen after I clicked the 'Submit Reply' button. However, I'm also sure her sobbing mass will be a direct cause of not trusting the Dominus - after all, if the Dominus is in his home, then all is right with the world.

A short statement shorter, I'm thinking Dominus will show how much of a cad he is and why it's necessary to be such a cad to progress the story.

11. - Top - End - #4271
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, if those last two panels were completely stand-alone, I think they would actually be pretty hilarious.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

12. - Top - End - #4272
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I was positive it would happen after I clicked the 'Submit Reply' button. However, I'm also sure her sobbing mass will be a direct cause of not trusting the Dominus - after all, if the Dominus is in his home, then all is right with the world.

A short statement shorter, I'm thinking Dominus will show how much of a cad he is and why it's necessary to be such a cad to progress the story.
    He is not being a cad, he's just guiding them.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    You know, if those last two panels were completely stand-alone, I think they would actually be pretty hilarious.
    Oh yes, indeed they would.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #4273
    Orc in the Playground

You know, there is something amusing about how Dominic saw Scarlatii in imminent danger, and yet is acting like nothing is wrong. And at the risk of inflating Dominic's ever so huge ego, considering how he is apparently the best diviner ever, shouldn't his resources be spent on more important things than a joke of a punishment? I mean, what he did was wrong, but either give him a proper punishment or stop wasting his time.

She hasn't grown a spine at all. Lashing out is not a sign of self-confidence, quite the contrary. Luna is showing very clear signs of passive-aggressive behavior.
    >>Link<<

My god, it fits her perfectly.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-17 at 12:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #4274
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, have you guys checked the LiveJournal jerkoff forum lately? It's hilarious. I particularily like how they're all convinced that the unprecedented dark clouds hanging over the Dominic/Luna relationship are completely Luna's fault and that she's turning into an insane, raging bitch and Dommyboy is completely innocent of anything, how dare she accuse him of anything!! She will live to rue this day! Hail Dominus! Hail Dominus!!

Oh, and they're also convinced that Luna is pregnant. Because THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. Jesus.

15. - Top - End - #4275
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Personally, I suspect the author's been reading too many critiques along the lines of what's in this thread.

This latest story arc clearly involves the characters' trying to develop 'real' personalities and motivations, and is simply not appropriate for the comic's genre, if you ask me.

16. - Top - End - #4276

She hasn't grown a spine at all. Lashing out is not a sign of self-confidence, quite the contrary. Luna is showing very clear signs of passive-aggressive behavior.
    >>Link<<

My god, it fits her perfectly.
    Holy boop (Too much erfworld for me) it really does! Well, except for the blaming others part. Doesn't she prefer to blame herself? Of course, she still does blame others a lot.

So yeah, it does fit.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

17. - Top - End - #4277
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

So, have you guys checked the LiveJournal jerkoff forum lately? It's hilarious. I particularily like how they're all convinced that the unprecedented dark clouds hanging over the Dominic/Luna relationship are completely Luna's fault and that she's turning into an insane, raging bitch and Dommyboy is completely innocent of anything, how dare she accuse him of anything!! She will live to rue this day! Hail Dominus! Hail Dominus!!

Oh, and they're also convinced that Luna is pregnant. Because THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. Jesus.
    ...holy crap, that makes way too much sense. Mookie-sense, I mean.

18. - Top - End - #4278
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, have you guys checked the LiveJournal jerkoff forum lately? It's hilarious.
    Of course - I go there every day for the laughs.

Of course it does! After all, we ALL know women, when pregnant, become emotionally volatile and quite attention hungry towards their mate.

19. - Top - End - #4279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Personally, I suspect the author's been reading too many critiques along the lines of what's in this thread.
    I got the same impression from the past weeks' strips. The problem is now that Mookie is trying to amend the problems without having really understood either the problems or the solutions to them.

This latest story arc clearly involves the characters' trying to develop 'real' personalities and motivations, and is simply not appropriate for the comic's genre, if you ask me.
    Except they are not developing. Quite on the contrary, actually - instead of developing, they suddenly switched to a completely different behaviour. Just like that, and for no reason. A genuine development could easily work in the comic's genre; the characters' established personalities being ignored and replaced for no reason would not work in any genre, with few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Really? I would consider that much too frustrating at best and infuriating at worst. Kudos to your stoicism in the face of idiocy.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #4280

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    That seems kind of masochistic. The sum total of thirty seconds I spent there following a link from this thread was trauma inducing enough to know I never, ever want to go back.

I may be yet another unknown webcomic artist, but I honestly think I'd prefer a lack of attention to that breed of fan sycophantry.

21. - Top - End - #4281
    Ettin in the Playground

are completely Luna's fault and that she's turning into an insane, raging bitch and Dommyboy is completely innocent of anything, how dare she accuse him of anything!! She will live to rue this day! Hail Dominus! Hail Dominus!!
    From the beginning of time WOMAN is the cradle of evil! The nest of the lust, the dwelling of filth, salacity and sin! The Satan himself she is tool of! And cursed is her womb upon the ages, beacuse it was wtitten... [/fanatism]
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

22. - Top - End - #4282

That is a pretty awfully drawn chessboard.

ElfLad, are you in that, too?
    It's on like Diddy Kong.
    a secret to everybody.

23. - Top - End - #4283
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Really? I would consider that much too frustrating at best and infuriating at worst. Kudos to your stoicism in the face of idiocy.
    I suppose, in some way, I have to remind myself that there are some truly frighteningly illogical and irrational people out there.

Helps me with my UI for the programs I write. If I remember to write for the lowest common denominator, it'll be a little more stable.

(But then they keep lowering the D*MN BAR...)

24. - Top - End - #4284
    Firbolg in the Playground

(I also must say, though, that I believe this project would be better off with Mewtarthio instead of me; I feel his creative/parodic talents surpass mine easily, as evidenced by the stripslays and the stories (the horrible, horrible stories... why won't they leave me alone, why?! ) he always makes up)
    Wow. I'm flattered, but I don't think I'd have the time. I'd hate to have to tell my parents their son dropped out of college because he was too busy making fun of a webcomic.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

25. - Top - End - #4285
    Orc in the Playground

I like how Nimmel says, "You and Dominic have been fighting an awful lot lately" (bic*) after a grand total of six strips since they've started (half of which didn't have anything to do with them fighting).

I got the same impression from the past weeks' strips. The problem is now that Mookie is trying to amend the problems without having really understood either the problems or the solutions to them.
    Yeah, I've been getting the same impression as well, especially with the horrible dialogue (worse than usual). Luna's and Dominic's responses to each other seem forced, don't really follow from what the other was saying, and aren't even in-character; it feels like they are contrived for the sole purpose of having them fight.

*I know that "sic" is based on Latin, but I always read it as "spelling isn't corrected". Thus, "bic" here means "bolding isn't corrected", a new term that had to be invented specifically for Mookie.

Edit: Incidentally, following the lead of other posters, I just noticed that today's strip is much funnier and conveys the same message if you take out the unbolded words and Nimmel's bolded "fighting":

Luna: Me fine.
    Nimmel: Checkmate.
    Luna: AAAARGH!!

Last edited by Psychonaut; 2007-12-17 at 04:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #4286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    That is a pretty awfully drawn chessboard.
    Yep. Apparently, we can add "chess" to the long list of things that Mookie is ignorant about. How many squares again?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

27. - Top - End - #4287
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yep. Apparently, we can add "chess" to the long list of things that Mookie is ignorant about. How many squares again?
    HOW! A 5x7 board! He are either stupid or stupid.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

28. - Top - End - #4288
    Orc in the Playground

SI particularily like how they're all convinced that the unprecedented dark clouds hanging over the Dominic/Luna relationship are completely Luna's fault and that she's turning into an insane, raging bitch and Dommyboy is completely innocent of anything, how dare she accuse him of anything!! She will live to rue this day! Hail Dominus! Hail Dominus!!
    The problem is she really is over reacting, but she still has reason to react. Dominic is just sparking her off for no reason. If what Dominic is doing is something that he can't talk about, then why is he doing it right in front of her?

It's sad because I could so see that happening. Not that I expect it to, actually quite the opposite, but I've come to expect random things will happen out of the blue in Dominic.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-17 at 06:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #4289
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by pendejochy View Post
    This might just be my inner Slayer trying to come out, but for some reason I read "Tap Tap Tap" as "Fap Fap Fap."
    Ask and you shall receive:

Except they are not developing. Quite on the contrary, actually - instead of developing, they suddenly switched to a completely different behaviour. Just like that, and for no reason.
    Someone needs to make a webcomic called Bipolar Theater or somesuch, where the characters' emotions change every panel.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

30. - Top - End - #4290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Ask and you shall receive:
    Wow, that face is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Someone needs to make a webcomic called Bipolar Theater or somesuch, where the characters' emotions change every panel.
    Somebody already made such a comic. It's called "Dominic Deegan". I hear the author has a very reliable and frequent update schedule and the comic invokes discussions all over the Internet, so make sure to check it out!

Does anybody else have trouble connecting with the DD site right now?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll