New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #4291
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Does anybody else have trouble connecting with the DD site right now?
    No. In fact, the new strip is up, in its full glory. And by "glory" I mean, "Seven panels extarodinary in their overuse of redundancy, and the final panel restating what Luna said in the previous strip." Although, I'm growing increasingly amused by Dominic's obsession with tapping rocks all day. Although, it probably has to do with something seer-y like fixing Malatak or whatever, so that's dissapointing.

Juxtaposing that with the "Dominic talking to a pebble" panels from before could lead to some interesting slay potential. I may do that when I get a free moment. Sometime after my last final.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

2. - Top - End - #4292
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, but you're not missing much.

Testament to how poorly Mookie draws that I was sitting there for half a minute trying to figure out who the chick with fangs and the ponytail was, and why she was randomly pictured being mad in the third panel.

His lack of consistency is stunning. Pick just one thing - say, Luna's eyebrows - they're drawn differently in almost every panel.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

3. - Top - End - #4293
    Titan in the Playground

That's strange - I still can't access it.
    Hmm, maybe my computer decided it just could not take the stupidity anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    His lack of consistency is stunning. Pick just one thing - say, Luna's eyebrows - they're drawn differently in almost every panel.
    Maybe he started paying attention to the criticism that his characters all look the same?
    Hey, Mookie - the rule that characters are supposed to look different only applies to different characters.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #4294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    Testament to how poorly Mookie draws that I was sitting there for half a minute trying to figure out who the chick with fangs and the ponytail was, and why she was randomly pictured being mad in the third panel.
    So I'm not the only one. When I saw the third panel I thought "Alright, but who is this girl in third panel and why is she angry too?". After a while I noticed that she's got fangs, but without that I'd never guess it's Luna.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #4295
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. Let me guess- they're going to go through magical happy therapy which allows them to go from angry with each other to having sex*. All within the next comic.
    *Any sex they have will certainly involve the use of a protection scroll, which undoubtedly won't be shown being created or used at all, but will be mentioned the next day.
    Mookie does not endorse unprotected sex. *Hits readers with the moral hammer of justice*

6. - Top - End - #4296
    Dwarf in the Playground

This new "development" was completely out of nowhere. Sheesh, there's an entire arc devoted to this stupid relationship and establishing that it's forever with that dumb changeling arc, and then Mookie makes the relationship on the verge of break-up over the course of only two and a half strips? What the hell?

7. - Top - End - #4297
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    This new "development" was completely out of nowhere. Sheesh, there's an entire arc devoted to this stupid relationship and establishing that it's forever with that dumb changeling arc, and then Mookie makes the relationship on the verge of break-up over the course of only two and a half strips? What the hell?
    The best part is that this is considered 'light-hearted' fare before the next dark, emo arc.

8. - Top - End - #4298
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I finally got access to the site again. Let's see...

Third panel? What the hell? What in the name of Kerensky did he do to Luna there?

Also, redundant and stupid. How very, very stupid.

I must say, and not in jest this time, that in my humble opinion Mookie's writing is deteriorating at a frightening pace. Each arc introduces more errors in the writing, is even worse written than the previous one. With each arc Mookie neglects the build-up, the development, the most relevant parts more and more, and focusses only on the results - arguably the part which should get the least time, for this is not where the dramatic tension lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekraen View Post
    The best part is that this is considered 'light-hearted' fare before the next dark, emo arc.
    That's another thing: I find this sudden disharmony to be much darker than the previous, supposedly dark arc. But not in a good, suspenseful, rather in a purely depressing way.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #4299
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Wow. Let me guess- they're going to go through magical happy therapy which allows them to go from angry with each other to having sex*. All within the next comic.
    Cocaine - It's one helluva drug.
    ... ... ... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

10. - Top - End - #4300
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, I finally got access to the site again. Let's see...

Third panel? What the hell? What in the name of Kerensky did he do to Luna there?

Also, redundant and stupid. How very, very stupid.

I must say, and not in jest this time, that in my humble opinion Mookie's writing is deteriorating at a frightening pace. Each arc introduces more errors in the writing, is even worse written than the previous one. With each arc Mookie neglects the build-up, the development, the most relevant parts more and more, and focusses only on the results - arguably the part which should get the least time, for this is not where the dramatic tension lies.

That's another thing: I find this sudden disharmony to be much darker than the previous, supposedly dark arc. But not in a good, suspenseful, rather in a purely depressing way.
    That's it! Dominic's abuse of the Infernal Powers of Dispater has caused the entire world to degrade! Logic and consistency have been utterly destroyed! The next arc will involve Hell on earth, War, Famine, Plague, and Chaos, giant beasts of wrath who seduce one third of the world's armies to treachery, two-thirds of the world's waters turning to blood, mayhem and destruction everywhere, and yet still Dominic will not repent!
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #4301
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    That's it! Dominic's abuse of the Infernal Powers of Dispater has caused the entire world to degrade! Logic and consistency have been utterly destroyed! The next arc will involve Hell on earth, War, Famine, Plague, and Chaos, giant beasts of wrath who seduce one third of the world's armies to treachery, two-thirds of the world's waters turning to blood, mayhem and destruction everywhere, and yet still Dominic will not repent!
    I wouldn't blame him. Why leave a winning team?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #4302
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

I'm not too confused by the third panel, I've always thought her outfit for the research job was annoying, so I recognized it pretty quickly. I'm just wondering why she doesn't have fangs in the second panel... I really can't think of why they're just not visible!

13. - Top - End - #4303
    Titan in the Playground

*Blinks*
    *checks the second panel*
    Wow. He sure did mess the hell out of his art today, didn't he? You can't tell who is who...

V: That just makes it even worse.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2007-12-18 at 12:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #4304
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
    I'm not too confused by the third panel, I've always thought her outfit for the research job was annoying, so I recognized it pretty quickly. I'm just wondering why she doesn't have fangs in the second panel... I really can't think of why they're just not visible!
    Because that's not Luna in the second panel.

That's supposed to be 'Dom at Work' with a rather confused customer wondering why Dom's all peeved.

It's just the weakness of the fact that he pretty much uses the same hairstyle and facial structure over... and over ... and OVER again!
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-12-18 at 12:17 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

15. - Top - End - #4305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Because that's not Luna in the second panel.

That's supposed to be 'Dom at Work' with a rather confused customer wondering why Dom's all peeved.
    Looking closer at that panel, I think that's actually supposed to be a guy (though, of course, Mookie's art is insufficient to tell with certainty, as always).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #4306
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of Dom's students, I believe.

I have the ability to tell DD characters apart from each other. It's my gift; it's my curse....

I'm Spiderman.
    a secret to everybody.

17. - Top - End - #4307
    Titan in the Playground

It's actually quite amazing how he can draw almost all characters with the same hairstyle.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #4308
    Orc in the Playground

I was thrown off by the third panel myself as well. It took me another look at the comic to realize who it was. It's probably due to lack of anything going on that I just skimmed it.

I'm glad their relationship is fixed now. Took them long enough. Oh wait...

I don't even know what they need to talk about. Dominic was angry at a guy and made a scene, Luna didn't like that he made a scene, Dominic didn't like that she didn't like that he made a scene. That should have been the end of that, as in the next day. Healthy people don't continue being upset over such things into the next day. Sleep should have taken care of that problem.

The next argument was the same. Arguments over stupid things like that happen all the time in a relationship. Nobody has to sit down and 'talk it out.'

The third argument was contrived, because they didn't need to 'talk about it.' Again, just waiting for the next day would have made them forget about it anyways. Why Dominic can't tell Luna why he is tapping stones is beyond me. There is no way that he has to do it out in the open, apparently right in front of Luna. The first time she could have sought him out, but the fact that it happened again suggest that it's on a foot-path or something that they commonly use.

Normal people would forget about this crap in a day. At most there would be awkwardness the next, but since neither one was being venomous about it there is no reason to hold a grudge.

19. - Top - End - #4309
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    One of Dom's students, I believe.
    Ah, yes, you might just be right... Marcus Lourde.

20. - Top - End - #4310

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    Why Dominic can't tell Luna why he is tapping stones is beyond me. There is no way that he has to do it out in the open, apparently right in front of Luna. The first time she could have sought him out, but the fact that it happened again suggest that it's on a foot-path or something that they commonly use.
    As I specced earlier, he's just intentionally annoying her to drive her away. Now that she's suffering life without Dom and realizing that she has no intrinsic personal value, she'll come running back into his arms any second.

EDIT:
    Wow, thanks for reminding me how messed-up his class is. "Marcus Lourde, you're here because you are weak and paranoid and desire to keep all those you believe wish you harm under observation. I'll put in a good word for you once I've installed my Ministry of Truth. Tara Swift, you're here because you want to learn how to twist the minds of others and break them to your will, and you believe second sight will help you best sense their weaknesses. You know, once Nimmel has outlived his usefulness, I may have a position for apprentice open for you. Donella Luciani and Wolfgang Steiner, you are both here because you think it's an easy way to get the credits. You'd probably end up leaving once you discovered the truth of the class, but my manipulations will ensure that you remain under my tutelage with no desires save to sing the praises of the Oracle. Garrick Leris, you're here because you want to join the Royal Knights, and you figure this is the best way to get dirt on your superiors. Heh, I know something you don't know... Prento Fallin, you're here because you want to be an archmage, taking the title from my mother and becoming a credible threat to me. I know where you live, I know everything close to you, and my girlfriend is quite skilled in exposing people to utter terror. Stefanie Stubald, you're here because you want to help others. And help others you shall: Help the pathetic weaklings of the Fourth Caste to think and act as I desire, for they cannot be trusted with their own wills. Alrighty, for our first lesson, I shall break you thoroughly by showing how all you aspire to is a lie. The only truth is Dominius."
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2007-12-18 at 01:27 PM.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #4311
    Dwarf in the Playground

That kid should trick-or-treat as an orc sometime. Just some fangs and maybe a couple of flotation devices around the chest - your chances of telling him apart from Luna would be nil.

...holy crap! It IS Luna! Every time Dominus goes to teach his classes, Luna reduces her fangs (she's secretly a great Alterist, obviously), puts on fake stubble and goes there to spy on him! Why? Because she isn't actually as maddeningly, dotingly in love with him - rather, it's her job to spy on Dominus for Celesto, Jacob and the few remaining free people of Callan!

My brothers! The time has come! The insurrection has begun!
    Last edited by Karellen; 2007-12-18 at 01:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #4312
    Titan in the Playground

You know, if it turns out that he can't tell her because he is not quite sure about whatever it is he is investigating, or something equally dumb, I'll... probably just keep doing whatever I'll have been doing up to that point, but I will be awfully annoyed.

Seriously, the only sane explanation I can think of is that it is supposed to be a surprise for Luna (okay, the other explanation I could think of would be that these stones are somehow part of an infernal pact Dominic has made with some cthonic entity, which requires him to keep it secret lest he must die horribly). Anything else will be once again characters having been infected with Plot, nothing more.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #4313
    Ettin in the Playground

Ya know what would be great? If it turns out he's only tapping the rocks to annoy Luna.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    I'm Spiderman.
    I would have said Spider-Ham really.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

24. - Top - End - #4314
    Dwarf in the Playground

It feels weird saying this. But I don't think today's comic is so bad. It's a series of panels showing that both Dominic and Luna are feeling grouchy and annoyed. And it gets that point across. And then it sets up tomorrow's comic with then getting down to discussing it. "Let's Talk" while not extremely realistic is a common enough trope that it's okay. It's not stupidly quick like a lot of developments have been lately, or painfully drawn out other developments have been (assuming that we progress next comic).

However, we're only here because of sudden character/relationship derailment, but this comic doesn't add to that. The art is bad, but we knew that. However this comic doesn't want me to bang my head against my desk. It's just unexceptional fare. This arc is likely doomed, but this comic isn't going to save or damn it.

25. - Top - End - #4315
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    ...holy crap! It IS Luna! Every time Dominus goes to teach his classes, Luna reduces her fangs (she's secretly a great Alterist, obviously), puts on fake stubble and goes there to spy on him! Why? Because she isn't actually as maddeningly, dotingly in love with him - rather, it's her job to spy on Dominus for Celesto, Jacob and the few remaining free people of Callan!

My brothers! The time has come! The insurrection has begun!
    My god, you're right.

But wait! Maybe it's more than that. Maybe everyone looks similar because there's only a tiny number of people around Dominic, and they're all paid to pretend that he's an all-powerful oracle! His visions don't exist at all, everyone just feeds him hallucinogens (Mavpel, anyone?) and then goes along with whatever he sees!

It's like the Truman Show, but with magic!

The reason for Siegfried's sudden "death" was that he had second thoughts, and wanted Dominic to know the truth. Now they've stuck a mask on someone they claim is Siggie in case he really does find a way back!
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

26. - Top - End - #4316
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    It feels weird saying this. But I don't think today's comic is so bad. It's a series of panels showing that both Dominic and Luna are feeling grouchy and annoyed. And it gets that point across.
    There's 'getting the point across' and 'let me tell you how they're feeling ... by using this SLEDGEHAMMER'.

A simple discussion between Luna and someone close to both of them (Jayden, Miranda, or Melna at the least), where Luna expresses that their relationship is a bit rocky at the moment would work just as well, if not better.

It tells the readers that, no, their relationship is NOT the perfect, lovey-dovey thing that people have thought, without either side looking absolutely bat<censored> insane.

However, we're only here because of sudden character/relationship derailment, but this comic doesn't add to that. The art is bad, but we knew that. However this comic doesn't want me to bang my head against my desk. It's just unexceptional fare. This arc is likely doomed, but this comic isn't going to save or damn it.
    We KNOW they're arguing already; this doesn't give anything new other than a 'let's talk', which could have been done yesterday by sacrificing a panel.
    It's more sledgehammer storytelling.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-12-18 at 02:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #4317
    Dwarf in the Playground

The big problem is that the whole "Luna and Dominic are mad at each other" went from 0 to 60 in 3 strips. This strip is spreading it out a bit more. It would have way better to build up to this point with logical progression. If "Let's Talk" was moved yesterday it would almost be "RAWR! Let's talk" over maybe 2 strips making things even more bipolar. Heck they didn't start fighting less than a week ago (and much of that week had some of the worst strips ever). So a bit more time is okay. However one more day is all that it needs. Let's get going now!

I'm not saying that this is a good strip. Just a passing one. Maybe I'm defending this since this is the first mediocre strip the last few days.

28. - Top - End - #4318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    But wait! Maybe it's more than that. Maybe everyone looks similar because there's only a tiny number of people around Dominic, and they're all paid to pretend that he's an all-powerful oracle! His visions don't exist at all, everyone just feeds him hallucinogens (Mavpel, anyone?) and then goes along with whatever he sees!
    Well, I have for a long time been maintaining the theory that the entire comic is, in fact, just a wish-fantasy in the mind of a broken and mad homeless guy, dying in the gutter of some dark backstreet in Lynn's Brook, wherein he pictures himself how a life might have looked like in which he had some importance (i.e. everything revolves around him), he still has a family (Greg, Miranda, Donovan) and a girlfriend (Luna), and wherein he is a hero saving the world. That's why all of them are so perfect and immaculate, and why he is so incredibly Awesome. All the tragic stuff happening, where he fails to succeed, is how his subconciousness depicts the bitter reality slowly seeping through into his mind as the hour of his ultimate demise draws closer.
    All the Lovecraftian nonsense of the past few arcs? His fever is rising...

And, yes, today's strip is not so much bad per se as it is utterly redundant (which is bad, but could be worse).
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-18 at 02:50 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #4319

Looking closer at that panel, I think that's actually supposed to be a guy (though, of course, Mookie's art is insufficient to tell with certainty, as always).
    For a long time I thought Bumper was a girl.

All the Lovecraftian nonsense of the past few arcs? His fever is rising...
    I propose to entitle this theory, "An Occurrence at Lynn's Brook Bridge".
    Last edited by Gez; 2007-12-18 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #4320
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I propose to entitle this theory, "An Occurrence at Lynn's Brook Bridge".
    It came form another book?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!