New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #7021
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I just don't see the big deal. So what if they emulate behavior they picked up from anime? It's an anime convention. It's not anything horrible. He's not at his Mussolini youth rally throwing the Roman Salute. Besides, this thread was made to mock Mookie's comic. I don't want to make fun of his life outside the comic. I'd hate for this thread to become mean-spirited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

2. - Top - End - #7022
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Why is this an argument? What? What's going on? As for myself, I was just explaining part of the history of the sign and why the Japanese use it. I thought it self-evident that Mookie and his fangirls were mimicking anime characters, because...well, anime convention. And look at the guy's comic.

I spoke disparagingly of it because the majority of anime fandom annoys me, though I seem to have found a solid group of non-idiots lately with whom I can share my enjoyment of (some) Japanese pop culture.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #7023
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork_Seal View Post
    My god, you're as bad as they may be. Why would you automatically assume that it was Japanese when it is a sign with cultural relevance to MANY cultures? Are you really THAT desperate for things to attack about the fanbase? Because there are much, much better things to rage at. Like that guy with that tattoo's nasty beard.
    I realize that it's not Japanese, but there are only three big reasons someone would use a V-sign.

1. As a symbol of victory. This was most widely used in the Western world during the second world war, and has become rather archaic now.

2. As a symbol of peace. Either because victory usually leads to times of peace, or because peace activists used it in the 1960s. This too has fallen out of wide use in the western world.

3. As an insult similar to the middle finger. This was never as widely known, and anyways you'd have to display it with your palm facing inward.

Since they clearly haven't won a world war anytime recently, and their palms are facing out, I'd say it's safe to assume they are using it as a peace sign. As far as I can tell they are not protesting any wars (though that might be a better use of their time.) I have to assume they picked it up from watching some sort of Asian program because Asia is the only place in the world where the V-sign (meaning peace) is still popular. Many people (especially the youth) display the sign in an effort to look more westernized. Popular entertainment picked up on this and incorporated it into many programs (including animation) and this wasn't changed when they were shipped to western viewers. Because of the popularity of this sign in many animes, and its infrequent use in the western world at the time, many fans of anime use it because it seems like a Japanese thing to do. I think the fact that they are also at an anime convention helps this theory. How many people do you see using the v-sign on a constant basis that aren't dedicated fans of anime? How do they stack up in comparison to the number of people you've seen who do use it and are fans of anime?

Edit-I also want to add that I have nothing against Japanese culture or anime, but people that latch on to things just because they seem foreign and exciting annoys me. Sorry if this turned into a huge argument.

That guy does have a nasty beard, BTW.

Edit 2-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    <mookieLogic>

Ah, but if I portray Barnet as an obnoxious bitch and nothing but an obnoxious bitch, doesn't that make it much more unexpected and shocking when I reveal that she isn't just an obnoxious bitch?

After all, how many of you expected that Barnet was Luna's sister when I had her say that she was Dominic's sister?

</mookieLogic>
    Stop channeling such an accurate Mookie, you'll scare the children.
    Last edited by InkEyes; 2008-03-25 at 07:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #7024
    Banned

5. - Top - End - #7025

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    Since they clearly haven't won a world war anytime recently, and their palms are facing out, I'd say it's safe to assume they are using it as a peace sign.

You weak-minded fool! Have you already forgotten how Lord Dominus, Avatar of Mookie, so recently vanquished The Virus in an epic duel that took place within his mind, body, soul, and room? Did you fail to notice how, immediately afterwards, he successfully trapped The Oracle Hunter with his brilliant manipulations and unique illusions? Do you have any doubt that, even now, he will consume and twists Barnet's soul to his own ends, thus granting himself a valuable ally while at the same time humiliating The Outcaste, who foolishly thought that a pathetic female could resist the might of Lord Dominus? It is clear to me that you have strayed from the path. To Aberghast Cathedral with you!
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #7026
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    Because of the popularity of this sign in many animes, and its infrequent use in the western world at the time, many fans of anime use it because it seems like a Japanese thing to do. I think the fact that they are also at an anime convention helps this theory.
    Exhibit A: this dork.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

7. - Top - End - #7027
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Well, that makes me more embarrassed about my misspent youth, having used a 'V' gesture in a variety of ways. Ah well. Maybe I'm just a reincarnated hippie. Who's to know?

Taking all bets! Fifty-fifty odds! Will she be redeemed? Will she be forever lodged with Celesto and Karnak? Taking all bets! Hurry hurry hurry! Only one to four weeks to find out!
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

8. - Top - End - #7028

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post

You weak-minded fool! Have you already forgotten how Lord Dominus, Avatar of Mookie, so recently vanquished The Virus in an epic duel that took place within his mind, body, soul, and room? Did you fail to notice how, immediately afterwards, he successfully trapped The Oracle Hunter with his brilliant manipulations and unique illusions? Do you have any doubt that, even now, he will consume and twists Barnet's soul to his own ends, thus granting himself a valuable ally while at the same time humiliating The Outcaste, who foolishly thought that a pathetic female could resist the might of Lord Dominus? It is clear to me that you have strayed from the path. To Aberghast Cathedral with you!
    NOOOO!!! NOT THE RATS!!!!AAIEEEE1!!!!

*Door to room 101 closes*

9. - Top - End - #7029
    Dwarf in the Playground

I bet my last 200 pairs of mis-matched socks on redemption!

10. - Top - End - #7030
    Ogre in the Playground

I fear what may be contained within the video. Not a fear of viruses mind you.

Anyone wanna watch it and sum up?

11. - Top - End - #7031

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Exhibit A: this dork.
    Exhibit B: Arnold Schwarzenegger.

12. - Top - End - #7032
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry I got worked up in my last post, something peeved me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Taking all bets! Fifty-fifty odds! Will she be redeemed? Will she be forever lodged with Celesto and Karnak? Taking all bets! Hurry hurry hurry! Only one to four weeks to find out!
    Of course she will be redeemed. Once LORD Dominus has made it clear that someone is PURE, they are PURE.

But, in all seriousness, I don't think that Mookie would go for the complexity of a plot where Barnet is just plane evil yet is in a position where a guy is asking 'why shouldn't she be killed?' I mean, if Dominic wants to be Hollier than Thou about it, then it shouldn't matter how corrupt her soul is - she shouldn't be killed thus perpetuating the cycle of evil. "Let me show you her soul!" "It could be as black as midnight, Celesto, and she would still have a place in my heart, as a human being, not just as my sister-in-law" (Omg, it's so corny it burns!). As it will turn out, she is just a victim and therefor can be forgiven for her crimes (what this forgiveness translates into remains to be seen).

I mean, for goodness sake, her soul is breaking or something over how traumatic her life was. Anyone know what happened to Luna's father? Because right now, I'm thinking that he was abusive towards her and she ended up killing him and running away from home.

13. - Top - End - #7033
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    I fear what may be contained within the video. Not a fear of viruses mind you.

Anyone wanna watch it and sum up?
    Michael admits that 2007 was a bad year for him personally and it might have affected his work, that he would go back and change some things about Snowsong (but not Supergreg), says that his take on the Orc Rape was that he never intended Stonewater to look like a hero and was trying to think of the worst possible thing for him to have to do to cause inner turmoil, that he's a sensitive guy, that he has big plans for Celesto, and that he likes the way I make sure nobody slings sh*t at anyone except for him best about me.

14. - Top - End - #7034
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

And now he's threatening her with retardation if she humiliates him within her own mindscape.

Well, at least he's being increasingly candid about his actions.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

15. - Top - End - #7035
    Ogre in the Playground

I listened to the interview and I have to say, this reinforces to me the impression that I've always gotten that Michael is an awesome guy and fun to hang out with... a person I'd go drinking with, or if he's a teetotaler (which I'd bet he is), watch a movie or talk about comics or something.

However, I can't say his unwillingness to write what he admits would be a great story about hardship and loss for these characters because he doesn't want to deal with the negative emotions involved is a trait I agree with.

When I read the book Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover (which is an awesome book by the way, you should read it), there was a scene and situation that was so mindblowingly depressing, so utterly soul crushing for the main characters involved that I actually became depressed outside of reading in my daily life to such an extent that my friends took notice and asked if I was okay or if I needed help with anything. I cannot imagine it being different for the author in this case. For an author who ostensibly loves torturing his main character, Michael Terracciano seems unwilling to actually start with the pain.

I'd also like to point out that we made fun of the girls who appeared in the first cosplay photo on grounds of attractiveness, when photographic evidence indicates Mookie embraced them (perhaps total strangers, at a convention) enthusiastically, obesity and all. I'm just sayin'... you're making Mookie look cool.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

16. - Top - End - #7036
    Titan in the Playground

Ye gods, that must be the dumbest line ever since some dinosaur looked up to the sky and said "Gee, what a pretty new light up there!"!

It is so stupid, in fact, that I believe now Jacob's creation of Quilt was indeed a full success and went exactly as he intended - a creature of such stupendous stupidity that it makes the brains of all others around it slowly and unnoticeably deteriorate, and which he smuggled into Dominic's household by pretending he was displeased with it. Note how SuperGreg followed after Greg had spent a lot of time with Quilt. In the Shadow of Siegfried arc, Dominic and Luna got along just fine, but as soon as they returned home (where this treacherous beast awaited them) they started to quibble over inane things. No coincidence - at this point, their brains had already slipped into kindergarten-grade retardation! Fortunately for Miranda and Donovan, they spend most of their time in Quiral, apart of the monstrosity - but when the Oracle Hunter came, and they stayed a bit longer at Dominic's house, they too felt Quilt's vile aura, and began to have nonsensical secrets and grudges towards each other. And still, the monster lurks within the Deegans' household and feeds upon their intelligence, slowly turning them into babbling, drooling idiots...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    I'd also like to point out that we made fun of the girls who appeared in the first cosplay photo on grounds of attractiveness, when photographic evidence indicates Mookie embraced them (perhaps total strangers, at a convention) enthusiastically, obesity and all. I'm just sayin'... you're making Mookie look cool.
    You are right, and I apologise for that. I was trying too hard to be funny, and overstepped a bound I usually try to stand clear off. Won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    However, I can't say his unwillingness to write what he admits would be a great story about hardship and loss for these characters because he doesn't want to deal with the negative emotions involved is a trait I agree with.
    Hmm. It's up to him to decide what he does with a comic he writes for his own entertainment, but my opinion about him as a writer just plummeted down even further.
    Not to mention that he apparently leaks any ambition, if he lets that get into his way to a story he could look back later with more pride.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2008-03-26 at 05:55 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #7037

Behold the wrath of Lord Dominus! He will righteously destroy parts of Barnet's mind, deprive her of her mathematical abilities!

ALL HAIL LORD DOMINUS!
    2+2=5!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #7038
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD DOMINUS!
    2+2=5!
    "Tell me, Barnet, if you wish to leave this place alive, how many lights there are."

19. - Top - End - #7039
    Orc in the Playground

THERE... ARE... FOUR LIGHTS!!!
    *mindcrush*

20. - Top - End - #7040
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell me, Barnet - and remember, no lies: you know that I am always able to detect a lie - tell me, what are your true feelings towards Lord Dominus?"
    - "I hate him."
    - "You hate him. Good. Then the time has come for you to take the last step. You must love Lord Dominus. It is not enough to obey him: you must love him.
    Mindcrush 101."
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #7041
    Orc in the Playground

"The last time I saw Dominic like this, he had seen Szark's soul... and it almost KILLED him."

Is she forgetting that it wasn't the sight of Szark's soul, but rather the fact that there was just the little itsy bitsy problem of a demon lord in there? It's also really weird that she should say that... And Gregory's response. She comments that "He looks like that one time when he fought the demon lord in Szark's soul!" "Wow, imagine what her soul is doing to him!" - who said anything about him actually being in her soul...

Also, Dominic is vibrating. Somebody pick up his cell.

Link to Szark's Soul. And aftermath. I don't see the similarities. Dominic walks up to him, places his hands on him and meditates for a while, then falls back with blood gushing out of him. No vibrating. No coma-like state.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2008-03-26 at 07:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #7042
    Pixie in the Playground

I think we all have to admit, if this has all been planned as some very elaborate story about Dominus just getting drunk on power and keeps going at the rate it has been then DD will honestly be one of the best stories to be written. Even will all its other flaws like the self insertism.

Picture it, the comic will keep on going deeper into a spiral, Dominus will realise he has a death fetish and end up killing Luna and set it all up so that Bumper takes the blame or something.

He'll manipulate Gregory into using white magic to preserve the body so he doesn't need to kill that often. He'll keep on slipping and eventually mind crush Quilt when he catches on to it all in an arc made solely for Dominus exposition.

He'll blackmail all his contacts to slowly turn his house into a more traditional tower he can better rule from, he'll claim how he saved the town so much if anyone complains about this. Eventually he'll devolve into a sterotypical evil wizard and bind Demon Siggy and/or Klo-tark to his door to keep out intruders.

23. - Top - End - #7043
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    Link to Szark's Soul. And aftermath. I don't see the similarities. Dominic walks up to him, places his hands on him and meditates for a while, then falls back with blood gushing out of him. No vibrating. No coma-like state.
    Therefore, when he went inside Szark's body, he almost died.

24. - Top - End - #7044

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Therefore, when he went inside Szark's body, he almost died.
    In other words, he experienced a little death after going deep inside Szark WIG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #7045
    Dwarf in the Playground

Am I the only one dissapointed Celesto left? I like Celesto. :(
    "Do not be afraid of computers. Be afraid of the lack of them." - One of my fortune cookies.

"You zetta sons of digits!" - Sho Minamato, The World Ends With You

Flonne by Nathan. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #7046
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lenlalron View Post
    Am I the only one dissapointed Celesto left? I like Celesto. :(
    I'm not. I'm starting to sense a Flanderization of his character. It's better he leave now and stay out of the story before that Flanderization completes...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

27. - Top - End - #7047
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    I'm not. I'm starting to sense a Flanderization of his character. It's better he leave now and stay out of the story before that Flanderization completes...
    Flanderization of what characteristic, exactly?

28. - Top - End - #7048
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Celesto is gone, what's stopping Dominic from... You know.. GTFO of Barnets soul? I mean, he's no white mage... I'm not sure he's qualified for soul-surgery (Harder or easier than brain surgery? YOU DECIDE!)

29. - Top - End - #7049
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Flanderization of what characteristic, exactly?
    It's hard to pin down, it's just a hint, mind you.
    Celesto probably knew that Dom had captured Barnet. He also probably knew she was in jail. So, of course, she'd be punished for her actions.
    Yet he jumps in and decides to go all vigilante on Barnet to 'amend', despite her upcoming punishment.
    He didn't give a mention to the person who hired her, who would be just as culpable for the deaths and assaults.
    It's just... 'hurhur, person BAD, me kill, fix world... dom not happy? DOM NOT HAPPY. ME MAD AT DOM. DOM GO ELSEWHERE.'

Quote Originally Posted by Zencao View Post
    If Celesto is gone, what's stopping Dominic from... You know.. GTFO of Barnets soul? I mean, he's no white mage... I'm not sure he's qualified for soul-surgery (Harder or easier than brain surgery? YOU DECIDE!)
    Well, he can just do a 'see the truth' on her soul. Or just disarm her mentally and help her work through her issues.
    Why doesn't he leave? Well, he's already there. He already sees the problem. It's not in his nature, now, to leave when he knows there's a potential fix in the works.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2008-03-26 at 01:09 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

30. - Top - End - #7050
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm. It's up to him to decide what he does with a comic he writes for his own entertainment, but my opinion about him as a writer just plummeted down even further.
    Not to mention that he apparently leaks any ambition, if he lets that get into his way to a story he could look back later with more pride.
    I believe Mookie does Dominic Deegan for a living, not for his entertainment. I can understand what he's saying from an emotional standpoint, but it really shows a lack of dedication to his work.