New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 301 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344456085135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 9010
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Okay, I've been away for a while, so I got the last week or so's strips all together. That was an experience.

First off - uneccesary boobs. Good job. Because apparently the pink background and the hug wasn't enough to get the point across. Is it me, or is she actually pulling her top down, for crying out loud?!

Secondly - rage rage rage with zero consequences! Why can't something actually bad happen, just once?

Thirdly - I meant something bad to the characters, not to the readers. A culture in which some people wear far too much or nothing at all? Makes sense to me! If I wanted to scar my eyes with images of some nude guy from behind, I'd watch the second Matrix film again thank you very much. Oh, and the wolf on the far right - put some pants on guy! That's not cool at all!

How to save a flailing comic - better writing or abundance of cartoon boobs? What would the discerning reader go for?
    Last edited by Tom_Violence; 2007-09-23 at 02:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah. Well. Being Mookie defender and all, I think I step back from DD now, despite the current arc being centered around Milov who is one of my favourite characters.
    Maybe I give it a go in some weeks, seing if it is more interesting to read in a greater package of archived strips. Despite the somehow funny image of the pleading Spark I'm mostly bored meanwhile.

And with all due respect to the strips usual redemption and forgiveness tone, Luna just lost sympathy points.
    "Yeah, you learned just this second she cheated on you with your best friend, but no need to be so emotional, she made a little mistake, get over it right now."

As far as I'm concerned, Milov could have shredded Jayden to pieces there.
    (Yeah, bitter memories speaking here.)

Hey, Nev'rmore, how did your ban election end, by the way? (Silliest thing I've seen in a long while.)

That's Axel, the noble bandrowdy and his female side
    Thanks to Dispozition for the fantastic Axel/Alexia-avatars
    Great Faerwain-avatar by Tomb Raven
    Deep bows to Ceika for Faerwain the Triumphant

Middle Ages' most beautiful side- brought to you by the Digital Age

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Orc in the Playground

Why do the spellwolves even use human form? I mean, it doesn't seem that anybody cares overly much, especially not on their home turf. Benefits of being in spellwolf form: Fur to protect you from the cold, increased strength and stamina, ability to use magic... Benifits of being in human form: ?? (apparent immunity to cold anyways :p)

Why were the spellwolves naked on the ship but not on the island?
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-09-23 at 10:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanted to try to form a more coherent response to today's absolutely useless excuse.

But my brain felt like it had been kicked in the sack again. It was super effective.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Firbolg in the Playground

Because if they didn't use human forms, they'd just be anthropomorphic wolves. Werewolves are much cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Orc in the Playground

Shapeshifting, sure. But why bother being in human form on their home turf? Outside it makes sense because most people would freak out if they saw a random werewolf walking down the street.

Edit: A possible explanation of why the spellwolves walk around naked and don't die from hypothermia may have to do with a combination of their physiology and their upbringing. If it isn't freezing cold and just snowy, there is that one case of that wild kid who ran around in the snow naked but didn't seem to care about how cold it was because he was so used to not wearing clothes. If they are descended from shapechanging wolves, it would stand to reason that 'clothing' wouldn't have been a high priority to develop until they discovered other cultures who viewed it as obscene to run around naked. Freezing cold to us wouldn't really be all that cold to them.

This would explain why they don't layer on clothing even when they do wear it.

... Of course, the fact that this requires a ridiculously long explanation means that unless he uses the nudity for something other than 'lawl, boobz and teh naked guyz' then its just a detraction from the fact that they could have just not been retarded in the first place.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-09-23 at 10:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    Edit: A possible explanation of why the spellwolves walk around naked and don't die from hypothermia may have to do with a combination of their physiology and their upbringing. If it isn't freezing cold and just snowy, there is that one case of that wild kid who ran around in the snow naked but didn't seem to care about how cold it was because he was so used to not wearing clothes. If they are descended from shapechanging wolves, it would stand to reason that 'clothing' wouldn't have been a high priority to develop until they discovered other cultures who viewed it as obscene to run around naked. Freezing cold to us wouldn't really be all that cold to them.

This would explain why they don't layer on clothing even when they do wear it.
    Except Milov and his servants all seem to wear elaborate fur clothing even in Callan, stuff you would see Siberians wearing. The heat in Callan would probably make Milov Die of Hyperthermia if your theory holds.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Except Milov and his servants all seem to wear elaborate fur clothing even in Callan, stuff you would see Siberians wearing. The heat in Callan would probably make Milov Die of Hyperthermia if your theory holds.
    I'm going to bet it'll be retconned into us finding out there's climate control spells on the city, if not the clothing.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Or, we could just say that Terraciano put no thought into the issue beyond "Naked, magical Siberian werewolves! THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!"

Christ, I can't unsee it.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Why, the naked werewolves serve to prove that Mookie is open-minded enough to not care about taboos! That makes his story deep, too! 'Cause, you see, breaking taboos proves that This Is Art, Damnit!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It makes me sad.

"Hur, hur, let's do a predictable joke about culture shock here. Oooh, nudity!"

One would THINK that, if Nimmel was that interested in the Academy, that'd he'd, oh, I dunno, FIND OUT MORE about the culture that hosts the Academy? You know, things like "Don't teleport, don't enter into a relationship lightly with them, and they have no nudity taboo, so expect to see a few naked people."

Just a thought.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

12. - Top - End - #1032

"There is only one difference between our cultures. Other than that, you should be fine."

Wow, Mookie, you really put a lot of thought into your world-building, didn't you?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    It makes me sad.

"Hur, hur, let's do a predictable joke about culture shock here. Oooh, nudity!"

One would THINK that, if Nimmel was that interested in the Academy, that'd he'd, oh, I dunno, FIND OUT MORE about the culture that hosts the Academy? You know, things like "Don't teleport, don't enter into a relationship lightly with them, and they have no nudity taboo, so expect to see a few naked people."

Just a thought.
    Dude. You're expecting logcial consistency from Mookie.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Dude. You're expecting logcial consistency from Mookie.
    True.

And this new strip. Oh, gods. Nimmel asks a question and Luna and Dom answer.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

So Luna's emo now again?
    And, yes, Dominic, she did bring them down from a full-blown rage. Severe trauma tends to have such effects.

Say. Is my English failing me, or does Dominic's first sentence in the last panel not make any sense at all? She was loyal to Jayden despite defending her? Are defending somebody and being loyal to them mutually exclusive now, or what?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Say. Is my English failing me, or does Dominic's first sentence in the last panel not make any sense at all? She was loyal to Jayden despite defending her? Are defending somebody and being loyal to them mutually exclusive now, or what?
    I think he meant that she's loyal despite saying allegedly stupid things while defending Jayden. To be honest, I needed a while to get that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-09-24 at 11:39 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #1037

It's funny to put the odd (heh heh heh) panels together and notice how disjointed and awkward the dialogue is.

Mookie puts so much thought into his comics.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So Luna's emo now again?
    And, yes, Dominic, she did bring them down from a full-blown rage. Severe trauma tends to have such effects.
    Of course! Luna's trademark is to be self-doubting after coming through a challenge.

I guess what he's trying to say is that despite what they see as Luna's poor choice of words to Milov (She's only human), she was still defending Jayden.

It was the intent that mattered, not the words.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

I figured that would probably be what he meant.
    Though assuming Mookie doesn't make any sense once more is more fun.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Though assuming Mookie doesn't make any sense once more is more fun.
    Personally, I'd be scared if Mookie started making sense to me.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd be scared if Mookie started making sense to me.
    Actually, I think there is some method in his "madness". Which might be unfortunate, for he wouldn't be so predictable otherwise. Just assuming a childlike black-white morality, Improved Mary Sueishness for Dominic (stand-in for Mookie), Luna (stand-in for how Mookie pictures the girlfriend he used to have/would like to have now) and Greg (stand-in for either the brother Mookie would like to have or for all moral superiority Mookie couldn't cram into Dominic anymore), interspaced with pointless sexuality, can explain 95% of what is happening.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I have no idea what is going on and i cannot be bothered to read all 35 pages so just poped in to say evenin'
    |

Apperently my sig was too long last time... why don't they put a limit on it then?

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitperformanc View Post
    I have no idea what is going on and i cannot be bothered to read all 35 pages so just poped in to say evenin'
    Uh... yeah, good evenin' to you, too.
    A brief breakdown of those 35 pages is, we used to like Dominic Deegan and are saddened by its massive fall from greatness into the deep abyss of worse-than-B-movie-quality, and cope with the loss by mocking the hell out of it. That should pretty much summarise this thread, shouldn't it, folks?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Orc in the Playground

What exactly was wrong about Luna's "only human" comment? By the looks of things, humans ARE weak, pathetic and untrustworthy when compared to these werewolves. Her statement was 100% accurate.

(Edit: Also, good evening 16Bit. There is no need to read the previous 35 pages, for most of the comments therein will be likely be repeated as Dominic Deegan continues it's downward slide.)
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2007-09-24 at 12:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, at least this one wasn't as abysmal as the previous bunch. Granted, it was boring and cliched, but that's better than the abhorrence of last week.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

so ummm who or what is this Dominic Deegan i keep hearing about?
    |

Apperently my sig was too long last time... why don't they put a limit on it then?

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    What exactly was wrong about Luna's "only human" comment? By the looks of things, humans ARE weak, pathetic and untrustworthy when compared to these werewolves. Her statement was 100% accurate.
    And, gasp, were the people we originally thought were baseless racists actually -right-!? (We're looking at you, House Petrovich...)

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Okay, at least this one wasn't as abysmal as the previous bunch. Granted, it was boring and cliched, but that's better than the abhorrence of last week.

While I agree, I wouldn't have ever dared to provoke Mookie like this. He might consider this a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitperformanc View Post
    so ummm who or what is this Dominic Deegan i keep hearing about?
    Huh, am I evil and ruin yet another innocent's mind?
    Ah, what the heck.
    Dominic Deegan is a webcomic which can be found here. It started out fairly well - very well, I would actually say - and kept that level for a while, but has been in a massive downward spirale for quite while now, unfortunately. It focusses on the adventures of a seer in a fantasy world, which has a seemingly medieval setting, but uses magic to produce a society fairly similar to our own, and is made by a guy going by the name of Michael "Mookie" Terraciano.

And, gasp, were the people we originally thought were baseless racists actually -right-!? (We're looking at you, House Petrovich...)
    That would be one really weird point of an arc... human inferiority...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-09-24 at 12:24 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Orc in the Playground

Weird, but quite a lot of fun. Such a pity that the probability of this happening is 0.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, compared to how the werewolves are being portrayed so far, humans are...
    How many times has Dom had to go 'why are we saving this world again' when he looks at the average person on the street...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Weird, but quite a lot of fun. Such a pity that the probability of this happening is 0.
    Jayden: "Hey, guys, you know all those prejudices werewolves have against Callanians? Well, err... uhm... I kinda... confirmed it for them..."
    Church Officials: "Uh... you're a priestess... how did you confirm the prejudices..."
    Jayden: "Well, I kinda cheated on my werewolf lover, my best friend's in Hell, and I broke my nail. It hurt."
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-09-24 at 12:40 PM.