Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Low fantasy gaming - your thoughts about this game

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Those are awfully vague words coming from the system designer.
    That is intentional - it's up to the GM to make the ruling.
    Low Fantasy Gaming RPG - Free PDF at the link: https://lowfantasygaming.com/

$1 Adventure Frameworks - RPG Mini Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=645444

Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting - https://lowfantasygaming.com/2017/12...x-setting-pdf/

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I suppose it's one of the things that'll tweak with campaign tone as well, low fantasy can still go from 'dark and gritty' to 'cinematic action'. It's like how HP in the system works, of I was running a grittier game I might stop the random part, if I'm running a very gritty game I might stop the static part (Barbarians with 1d6 hp per level, it would be a very different game to normal). So in a very cinematic game getting up might be a Tony amount of your movement, in a gritty game it'll cost half or more.

If I get a copy and run LFG I'll likely go with something like a fixed 3m amount (about 9ft, round up to 10 for ease, but it's easier for me to think in SI). But it's certainly something that people would expect in the rules.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Those are awfully vague words coming from the system designer.
    Have you read the system? It's clearly dependent on frequent GM rulings, with high system consistency across GMs pretty clearly not a design goal.

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    About the only thing that all of them agree on is that GURPS is heavy. Also - I'd say that Anima is nearly as heavy as GURPS.
    I'd put Anima down as heavier, though not as heavy as D&D 3.5.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2017-12-05 at 05:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

One thing that I didn't like about the system was the armor classes. In LFG armor classes are even lower than in D&D 5e (AC 16 rather than 20 for plate+shield), and attack bonuses on monsters and martial character scale even faster. This means that by level 5 or so almost no-one is going to be missing their attacks, and the barbarian's defensive feature (half damage during rage) is waaaaaay better than the fighter's options for slightly better AC.

How would you recommend fixing that? The system looks pretty OK apart from this one detail.
    Spoiler: To My Fellow Empire Players and GM
    Show
    I may tend to come across as negative, as I usually post when something is wrong or to winge, but I really like this game so far and I'm having loads of fun. Thank you everyone for making it such a great experience!

Quote Originally Posted by DM
    You are walking down the hallways following the map. You make a left turn, two right turns, step over a tripwire, and turn into a secret door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player
    I turn into a secret door? Dang the traps in this place are OP!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    One thing that I didn't like about the system was the armor classes. In LFG armor classes are even lower than in D&D 5e (AC 16 rather than 20 for plate+shield), and attack bonuses on monsters and martial character scale even faster. This means that by level 5 or so almost no-one is going to be missing their attacks, and the barbarian's defensive feature (half damage during rage) is waaaaaay better than the fighter's options for slightly better AC.

How would you recommend fixing that? The system looks pretty OK apart from this one detail.
    Personal House Rule:

Everyone gets half their Attack Bonus as a bonus to Armor Class and +1 to AC can be chosen as an Unique Feature (up to four times).

Maximum Armor Class: 10 +5 (heavy armor), +1 (shield) +3 (dexterity 18), +6 (AC bonus at level 12) +4 (four unique features) = 29.

Maximum Attack Bonus: dragon or high level fighter with strength 18 = 1d20+15. Hits maximum Armor Class on a roll of 14 or higher.
    Last edited by Berenger; 2017-12-13 at 01:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    Personal House Rule:

Everyone gets half their Attack Bonus as a bonus to Armor Class and +1 to AC can be chosen as an Unique Feature (up to four times).

Maximum Armor Class: 10 +5 (heavy armor), +1 (shield) +3 (dexterity 18), +6 (AC bonus at level 12) +4 (four unique features) = 29.

Maximum Attack Bonus: dragon or high level fighter with strength 18 = 1d20+15. Hits maximum Armor Class on a roll of 14 or higher.
    Hmm. That looks decent. It still doesn't fix my gripe about barbarians being just better than fighters, but it's something. I'd probably use this and ban the barbarian class when running the system. If a player wants to be a barbarian the fighter class works fine with minimal refluffing.

Minor nitpick: Maximum AC would be 30 though, since there's a fighting style that makes the shield give +2.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-12-13 at 02:34 PM.
    Spoiler: To My Fellow Empire Players and GM
    Show
    I may tend to come across as negative, as I usually post when something is wrong or to winge, but I really like this game so far and I'm having loads of fun. Thank you everyone for making it such a great experience!

Quote Originally Posted by DM
    You are walking down the hallways following the map. You make a left turn, two right turns, step over a tripwire, and turn into a secret door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player
    I turn into a secret door? Dang the traps in this place are OP!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post

Don't forget fighters can take the protection style for an extra +1 AC, and there is no limit on Dex bonus to AC in LFG. Barb's tend to allocate their high stats to Str and Con, and Fighters Str and Dex. Also fighters get their parry ability at 5th.
    Low Fantasy Gaming RPG - Free PDF at the link: https://lowfantasygaming.com/

$1 Adventure Frameworks - RPG Mini Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=645444

Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting - https://lowfantasygaming.com/2017/12...x-setting-pdf/