New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Mithar Keep - Another Day]

"Alright, so should we meet here or in your new home? Ambrosia might also need to be there." Cessie gestures at the scholar.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you think it matters either way? I guess if I'm dreaming maybe I should be in my own bed." She says, thinking that sounds right. "You both might as well come over for that, but we'll need to talk to Adir before then."

3. - Top - End - #333

"I must be there to maintain the effect once we do this of course." The scholar points out. "But I'd even recommend you being in your own bed for this as it will likely make you feel safer and comfortable. Any sort of discomfort or worries you might have could manifest within your mind while they're in sync with you after all."

Cessie nods in agreement with them both. "Whatever you're comfortable with Sakura. Do you want to explain it to Adir right away, or should we wait a bit?"

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, I think we shouldn't waste any time." The sooner these issues were put behind them the better, as far as she';s concerned.

((We can jump right to that provided Murkus wants to pick up a new scene right now.))

5. - Top - End - #335

"Yeah, let's go to Sakura's home right away." Cessie agrees as she turns to Ambrosia. "You are coming too, right?"

"If my presence is needed, of course." The scholar nods. "But I don't have all day so let's head out right now."

((Yeah, waiting on Murkus now.))

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Gardens]

But energy is something transferred!

"There is certainly no need for anyone to be a target. Indeed, 'throwing fire' is a quite brutish technique that only requires a direction and a thought essentially. An inexperienced mage could accidentally direct eldritch wherever their emotions are directed at, so to speak. Unlike your other organs, like your hand or tongue, the 'eldritch organ', if one can call it that, is more attuned to a persons emotional state. If you want to punch someone in anger for instance, you have to go through this whole physical process of your mind telling different parts of your body to act accordingly to that desire, all which should be held in check by your higher judgement. But there is no such process between what you want and eldritch. Therefore, true mastery of it comes from not using it unless there is a need for it." Cessie attempts to explain.

"That's a good reason to why young mages often learn to link that process to your hands, or other appendages. It makes them able to keep check on their eldritch in the way you can keep your hand from hitting someone. So if they are taught that only a specific gesture enables their eldritch, they can keep it locked up. It takes a lot of conditioning of course, but its a very effective way to keep them from hurting themselves and others." She she pulls back her right sleeve and flicks her wrist. "Mine is subtle." Another magma elemental manifests itself about five meters away in the location she was gesturing at.

This one has not modifications, unlike the first one, and thus looks even more humanoid and seems to be mimicking Jillian, Cessie's daughter, general shape and form instead of Cessie's.
    "See?" The elemental then changes shape into Bastion now, Cessie's son. "I have complete control of this manifestation, from its shape to its properties. Theoretically, the heat it produces could devastate this entire garden but its not as you might notice."

Cessie then holds up her gloved hand and around it another glove, made of pure magma, manifests itself over the first glove. "I can't manifest it inside someone's body, or other aether rich materials however. It will simply manifests itself around them like this." The sorceress flexes her fingers. "And look, not nearly as rigid as actual magma should be." She observes. "While there are of course limits to how far I can manipulate magma's properties, it does have a lot of applications."
    Cessie would find that terrible, burning blue eye focused first quite intently on her as she began to explain, it's attention switching only once the elemental had been brought out. From then on, it was almost as if the eye were trying to peel itself away from the muse, acting more like a hungering maw with how it's pupil widened. To someone who could see both the muse and the Eye, one might be hard pressed to say if the scene was either frightening or humorous given how the muse herself was, at least outwardly, showing simply academic interest whie the Eye seemed to be trying to wrest itself free just so it could devour the object of it's focus.

At any rate, Riss was quiet for a few moments as she mulled the sorceress' words around in her mind. "Something you just said, that you're manipulating it's temperature currently, yes? I wonder.. What would happen if something were to cause some kind of interruption? Would it just dissipate or would you be in need of a new garden?" she asked, an idea forming in her mind.

7. - Top - End - #337

[Gardens]

Cessie attempts to ignore the eye, but will attempt to wave it away if it gets too close to her. "Well, that would depend on the interruption and what you are manifesting. However, imagine that you are holding a rock when you are interrupted. If someone simply calls on your attention, it won't cause you to drop the rock, right? However, if it was a much heavier rock, or in this analogue a greater manifestation, you might decide to drop it to be able to focus on what your attention is being directed to. In these cases, the manifestation is either maintained or dropped like a rock." She picks up a rock and then simply drops it for empathize.

"If someone was pushing you in either scenario however, both would likely end with the rock being dropped. Either way, the manifestation wouldn't manifest fully as when I'm saying that manipulating the temperature I'm not holding it back with an effort, it means that I've set a new temperature which it now holds in this half-realized state its in, also known as the manifestal stage. Here you get materials that can have widely different properties than their base, yet can never divert too much from what we call the eldritch base. Magma is my eldritch base for instance, so I could manifest say fire and and vog, yet never things like water or mist which would be diverting too much from it."

"However, say you were just about to throw the rock when you were interrupted then the rock might be thrown much further than you had intended, so if you were interrupted just when you were about to increase the temperature of the magma here, it might get much hotter than you first intended." The sorceress attempts to explain, hoping that all her talking would at least teach Riss something.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Yeah, let's go to Sakura's home right away." Cessie agrees as she turns to Ambrosia. "You are coming too, right?"

"If my presence is needed, of course." The scholar nods. "But I don't have all day so let's head out right now."

((Yeah, waiting on Murkus now.))
    [Frescot House - Informing Adir]

"Well, that's up to you, Ambrosia. We're just going to talk with Adir now and make sure he's on the same page as us. We could just call you later and set up a time for the actual dream thing." There's no use rushing anything right now (especially when her player is gonna need some time to plan the plot out).

Whether or not Ambrosia decides to come with, it's off to the Frescot house meet with Adir. Sakura will go about tracking him down once they arrive.

((And Murkus can pick this up whenever he's ready for another scene.))

9. - Top - End - #339
    Halfling in the Playground

[Informing Adir]

The stag seems a bit leery to discuss this almost right away. The girls have managed to corner him in his office, where he'd been working on some of the bills for the new place before they arrived. The room is pretty sparse. There's just Adir's computer and a single picture of the family and a whole hell of a lot of paperwork on the broad oak desk.

The stag is leaning his butt against the edge of his desk, arms crossed a bit too tightly. He's is in a very comfy looking grey shirt with an extremely broad and loose collar, probably something he can slip on past his antlers without tearing it apart. He's just wearing one of his pairs of sweatpants besides that. The stag's white hair is a tousled mess, and there's a cup of coffee steaming on the desk. Clearly he wasn't expecting company, especially with this kind of conversation.

Still, the way they explain it is at least enough to loose some of the mounting tension in his shoulders and back. He takes a deep breath and shuts his eyes. "Okay," he begins, eyelids fluttering up again, "First of all, I... appreciate that the idea here is preventing me and the kids from having our heads messed with. By the spirit. This isn't helping me move past it, but alright." He'd actually been starting to move past it already. It's part of why he's so tense.

"I like the idea I guess. It sounds like the best option. But... why Cessie, specifically? There's private stuff in Sakura's head. And I think I'd rather be the one to do this, if it comes down to it," He glances at the mage and Sakura, then toward Ambrosia. "Is there some reason I can't go in with them?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #340

[Informing Adir]

The scholar who have remained in the background so far, entering after Cessie and Sakura and placing herself in the very corner of the room with her tome pressed against her chest, turns and nods to Adir. "There is no reason you couldn't come as well, but keep in mind that people hide different things to different persons. There are secrets for sure, but that will be true for you as well. You might see aspects of her that she only have shared with Cessie. There are great differences between friends and lovers after all."

"Adir, if you really want to do this, I won't stop you. But Sakura is the one that will make the ultimate decision and whatever decision she makes I very much doubt its because she doesn't trust you. Quite the opposite." Cessie adds as she folds her hands and sits down in the chair in front of Adir's desk.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

[Informing Adir]

"It's not about who I trust or who I want to do it. I'd trust you both with anything. Cessie's just done this before, honey. She has experience, so I think she should be the one to do it." That makes perfect sense to her, so she really hopes Adir understand where she's coming from. "Besides, I don't really have any secrets from Cessie either."

12. - Top - End - #342

[Informing Adir]

"I didn't say anything about trust, Cessie," says Adir, frowning. He looks at Sakura a little more sympathetically. "I don't doubt that any of what you're saying, honey, but it's not about secrets. There's... I don't know. Feelings and moments that are supposed to be... just for us. Special." Adir looks down for a second. "There's a difference between talking about things and literally being in someone's head."

"I just..." Adir puts his face into his hands and sighs. He sounds immensely frustrated. "I just don't get it, Sakura. I know it was impulsive and I know you didn't see the consequences. I want to live with it. I want to understand. But now, right away I just feel angry and-- and lost again."

"I don't want to do this. I don't want anyone else's head mucked around in. Can't you just make it so we'll be able to tell if the kami-- if Sakura--" Adir looks ready to start pulling out his hair. "If anything is happening that could make us act differently? Some sort of spell or charm to warn us, before we start looking at these options?" Not knowing what all is happening is part of what's driving Adir nuts.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-09-15 at 05:14 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #343

[Informing Adir]

Cessie, who have remained respectfully silent as Adir have talked, looks at Ambrosia as Adir finishes. She certainly didn't have anything like that.
    "I can tell such things easily." Ambrosia replies plainly as she looks down in her down before meeting Adir's gaze. "A spirits influences are easy for me to see, they're like threads of a spiders web enveloping everyone nearby. When a spirit tugs at the threads, they also tug at your heartstrings..." She pauses and glances at Sakura. "No offense meant of course. But the analogue is sound. However, I cannot stay with you forever. While I consider it my obligation to make sure this situation resolve itself, I do have other things to do and I'm afraid I don't know anything that can see things the way I do."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

[Informing Adir]

"Adir..." Sakura puts her hands on his arms. "Just let me fix this, okay? You were worried about this and there's a solution. If they say this will work, I trust them." She tries to say as reassuring as possible.

15. - Top - End - #345

[Informing Adir]

Ambrosia's description does not help Adir feel better! Though it's at least worth knowing that some other magic isn't really an option. Dammit. The stag bows his head again in thought, which conveniently leaves him looking right at Sakura when she approaches. He seems to warm up a bit at her touch, and after a just a few moments of looking at the dryad he relents with a heavy sigh.

"Hey, now," he smiles. "I trust them too, you know." The stag takes one of Sakura's hands in his. "I wish this wasn't something you felt like you had to fix."

"Okay, okay, long as there's no danger like you said," Adir says a little louder, shaking his head and looking at Ambrosia and Cessie. Enough whining. He still sounds a little leery, and looks a little sick with himself, but he seems ready. "When are we wanting to do this? Today? How can I help?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #346

[Informing Adir]

"There is no direct danger for Sakura at the very least. But you, as people she trusts, will be able to influence her far more directly than you ever could outside. That's after all why you are doing this. However, by the sounds of it, it sounds like Miss Mithar is going in there alone, yes?" Ambrosia looks between the others.

"I'm in no rush." Cessie remarks with a dismissive gesture. "We'll do it whenever Sakura feels ready." She then turns to look at Adir. "But I'm afraid you won't be able to help in any other way than taking care of the children, Adir. You won't be able to do much outside, believe me, I've been in that position myself. All you can do is to watch and wait."

The scholar nods to that. "I can do it whenever you wish. I recommend doing it earlier rather than later however."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-09-17 at 06:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

[Informing Adir]

"Don't worry, honey. Cessie knows exactly what's going on." She kisses his forehead. "Not today for sure. After the babies come. It'll be any day now, so let's make sure we've settled after that. I'll need you to keep an eye on them during."

18. - Top - End - #348

[Informing Adir]

"Wait a second, is Cessie gonna be in danger?" Adir asks, pointing at the sorceress. He didn't want to put her in a spot where she could be hurt either. "But... yeah. If you guys think it'd be a better idea, I won't get in the professional's way." He says it without a trace of resentment or anything silly.

"You are not making me feel better, Cessie," Adir grumbles, though the smooch on the head does exactly that. He looks at Sakura. "Sure. Whatever you want. I can probably get Zillia or my mom to come help me out, too. That way I can... check on you guys while you're under." Man this was gonna be weird.

"Um. Now that that's settled," Adir opens his arms at the group. "Do you three want some lunch?"

((I suppose whether or not they agree, we can probably end this one after you guys next posts?))

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #349

[Informing Adir]

"I didn't feel great about it either, I just wanted you to know." Cessie remarks. "But, if you feel like it, I could go for something to eat."

Ambrosia shakes her head. "I'm afraid I have to be going if I'm not needed at the moment. I have my own dinner reservations."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

[Informing Adir]

Sakura lets out a breath. "Okay, let's do that." She says with relief. "Thank you, Ambrosia. We'll contact you again once the babies are born. We'll have a better idea of when then."

((Sounds good. *queues up next scene*))

21. - Top - End - #351

[Baby Time]

Into the Frescot abode comes barging Adir, laughing in a deep and merry way. In one arm he carries Kissa, an incredibly tiny baby girl with just a few modest flower sprouts gracing her delicate head. She has some extremely long, sharp ears, a blend of her parents, and is a bit on the light side for a newborn. She seems to be sleeping peacefully...

Which is why the gaggle of children trailing behind them is whispering feverishly rather than producing a steady cacophony of chatter. Gwydion is guiding Lucy and Russell by the hand, Cernunnos and Laela are pushing their youngest sisters together in a very silly looking double-stroller. Cassandra and Laurana seem to be babbling something, as though they've sensed that something important is afoot!

In Adir's other arm, meanwhile, he holds Sakura suspended, the newborn Malachi unconscious (at least for the moment) in her arms. Adir seems to have no more difficulty holding a fully grown woman than he does a baby. The trick is all in the balance, with only one arm. He has been insisting that Sakura must be tired.

Adir will stride into their living room and drop with a heavy sigh onto one of their couches. Fump. "Alright, my turn," he whispers as the other children come toddling up. "You take this little angel. I feel like I haven't even gotten a proper look at Malachi yet."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

[Baby Time!]

Sakura is tired, though this is still quite silly! She's not protesting at all, though, and laughs along with her husband as they settle onto the couch. "Careful careful. You're gonna wake them." She says lightly. With some maneuvering, they can swap babies. Malachi has a far more traditional pile of flowers on his head, though his skin is a bit darker and his eyes a curious green. Overall he looks very much like his mom. Quite different from his twin. "They're so beautiful, aren't they." Sakura says, and not for the first time.

((Will definitely have more older babby interaction in future posts. ))
    Last edited by Gullara; 2018-10-24 at 10:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353

[Baby Time]

"I won't wake them!" Adir protests in a raspy whisper, swapping babies with great dexterity. He smiles down at Malachi. "They are absolutely gorgeous. What do you guys think?"

Oh, look at that, the other babies have clambered up all around them. Laela, Cern, Gwydion, Lucy and Russell are climbing onto Adir, doing their best to quietly get a look at their new siblings. Lucy is practically hanging off the arm that is around Sakura, large eyes blinking as she peers. Adir lifts a finger, purses his lips and exhales to make sure they stay shushed.

The next time Sakura looks down at Kissa, something strange has happened. She appears to be holding a tiny fawn, fur the same color as Kissa's skin, flower sprouts in the same spot on its head. The fawn, rather unlike an ordinary dryadeer baby at all, opens her eyes just slightly and stretches out her legs, peering at her mum.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

[Baby Time]

Sakura does look down at her newest daughter and can only stare for a second. "Wha-"

"Daddy daddy look!" Lucy says, disregarding Adir's shushing (as always). She points at Kissa once she has her dad's attention.

"Looks like we have another surprise, honey."

25. - Top - End - #355

[Baby Time]

"Lucy, baby, c'mon, I just said--" Adir looks too. His eyebrows try to climb his head and join his hair, just before he breaks out in a big white grin. At full volume, he begins, "Sakura! Look, she's--" Oh, right, shushing. And here Sakura has already looked plenty. In a tiny voice, he pipes, "Aw! She's-- she's like me! Or well. She's got the gift!"

"Daddy, how's she do that?" Cern asks. Could he do it too? Stars appear in the little lad's eyes. He must learn how.

It probably doesn't help that Adir looks around at the kids next and says, "You all wanna see something cool?" He smiles , hugely proud of his little girl. "Sakura, set her down on her feet on the couch here. You won't believe it."

And provided Sakura does, Kissa will stand upright, wobbling a little uncertainly on her stick-skinny legs. Adir looks like he might start bouncing in place he's so excited.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-10-29 at 10:15 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

[Baby Time]

"Uh, alright sure." Sakura does just that. Well, she should have expected that, but it's so odd knowing this is her daughter. Her hands hover nearby, ready to catch her if she stumbles. "I hope you know how to keep track of her, honey, because I'm not prepared for her moving about so quickly." Sakura laughs.

If the kids were crowding in before, they certainly are now! Perhaps it's a bit too much clamour for the pair of newborns...

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

[Misty Evening]

One evening, as the autumn mist rolls in thickly from the rivers, lakes and ponds, a large hare hops its way onto the Frescot estate grounds. It moves with a purpose rarely seen among the species. The more sharp-eyed members of the household might also see that there's a very small person on the critter's back. With green skin, large nose, beard and plentiful dark blue face-paint. The hare stops in front of the house as the rider seems to wait to be acknowledged.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #358

[Baby Time]

Oh there is definitely stumbling, but it all seems to be part of the learning process for little Kissa. She shuffles shakily up to her mom and flops against her side, seeming uncertain and wanting to stay near this familiar source of warmth. "Don't worry, don't worry. It's been a few years but I've had to chase around my little brothers when they were like this before."

Malachi certainly seems to be stressing from all the crowding. Too many big, scary, wide-eyed faces! Wah! Little nasally cries commence, which soon swell to full-on bawling. "Oh, shh, that's okay..." Adir starts to rock the little man and gives his older babies a patented Scolding Dad look.

[Misty Evening]

Adir can hear most of the things that move around in the forest near the edge of his property. Often enough the children drown it out, but on a quiet evening like this, he can hear a hundred yards into the woods. Sometimes further still.

The stag might normally have thought anything of a hare hopping up and stopping to goggle at the house, but it isn't those little feat ceasing to beat that draws his attention. This time it's deeper than sound, a tug at some sixth sense warning him that there is another kind of creature here. Perhaps he senses whatever small kinship they share?

The front door of the Frescot house peeks open. Adir raises his eyebrows in surprise when he sees the little forest emissary. "...Um, hi there." He tilts his head to one side, ears thumping against the sides of his head as they flick in curiosity. "What's can I do for you?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-11-08 at 08:24 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

[Baby Time]

Sakura pulls her little deer daughter onto her lap. That's definitely going to take some getting used to. For the first time in many years she has just a bit of hesitation about how to handle her child.

And now the crying begins. Adir has things well in hand, but it's time to give the babies a chance to rest. "Okay kids, the babies need their sleep. You can see them more later." There's some whining and grumbling, but Malachi's cries do a good job of reinforcing Sakura's point. "Laela, sweetie, be a big girl and stay with Laurana and Cassie."

The kids filter out of the room, with Cern and Gwydion leading the way and Laela with the previously youngest held firmly in either hand taking up the rear. "Phew, I think I need my sleep, too." Sakura laughs lightly as she reaches to stroke Malachi's cheek in the hopes of soothing him.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

[Misty Evening]

"Greetings, Hunter. I bring a message from the Old Man Forest, whom I believe you've met," the small gnome says, in a small but clearly audible voice. "He wants to see you in this forest again. He wouldn't say what it's about, but it bothers him a lot."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.