New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

Cessie's Lab

Jezebel reaches her shackled arm out, holding it up and tilting her head to the side until the chain is tight in order to show it off. "Our relationship, as we choose to show it, is not one that is wild or careless, but I won't speak of it much to someone I don't truly know. Even when i am like this." She says, sounding wary even though she smiles a bit when she lowers her arm. "If our relationship has a major impact upon this, then so be it, but I will say one thing that likely tells you everything you wish to know. Should Cessie ever choose to walk the path of lichdom in her search for immortality, then I will walk with her upon it. Not in front of or behind, but at her side." She declares.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

That last part makes Ambrosia raise an eyebrow. "I apologize Lady Tel'vree, I did not mean to use your current state against you." The scholar makes a quick bow, just as Cessie can be seen coming around the corner.
    She loudly clears her voice, possibly having heard some of this conversation. "Will these do for your purpose, Jezebel?" Behind her comes an elemental carrying a whole laundry basket filled with clothes.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

"Thank you." Jezebel says, inclining her head respectfully to Ambrosia before turning to Cessie with a smile. Her eyes look over the clothing and she gives a nod. "The cloth seems like it will work. If you can take me to the metals so I can see what I have to work with, I can begin. By the way, I was wondering if I could get your personal help as well. If I were to make you something, could you pour your Eldritch into it as I work? Perhaps even prime it for enchantment as well."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sword Training]

Wenomir will find that it's impossible to keep Koshal on his toes, as he hasn't got any. But he can keep Koshal on his hooves. The minotaur parries and backsteps, making use of his superior reach to poke at Wenomir when he's just barely out of his own range. Faye, who has been hiding in Koshal's shadow, yips as a practice sword comes too close to her hiding spot. The shadow-dog hops out and sits down next to Cora, pouting.
    Koshal leaps backwards, a little higher than should be possible. He charges in, but it's a feint; before actually launching the obviously telegraphed swing he dips low and comes up in a low-high swing.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #455

Cessie's Lab

"Lady Mithar, welcome back." Ambrosia greets with another nod.
    Cessie returns the nod though doesn't seem too eager to exchange pleasantries at the moment. "Eldritch? For what manner of enchantment?" She inquires, then turning back to Ambrosia. "And is that advisable?"

"Depends on what Lady Tel'vree wants to create. It doesn't sound like she is inclined to make anything too dangerous however."

[Sword Training]

Garn seems to have finished whatever he was doing and can now be found standing at the sidelines with his fists pressed against the ground and keep an keen eye on Cora so she doesn't get hurt.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

"Armor for both of us."
    Jezebel explains, stepping aside and gesturing politely for Cessie to lead the way to wherever the materials are are kept. "It isn't as if armor on its own is particularly exceptional, but with some guidance perhaps we can prepare each set for enchantment or empowerment. The only such thing I know of that is similar would be preparing to binding daemons into an object or host, but I would not wish to do that to anything I create here even if I think there might be some parallels in the process for doing similar to Kami. Being bound to an object is not the most pleasant experience." She admits, giving a visible shudder and wince. That was not a process she wished to repeat or inflict upon anyone anymore.

"But think of it as making something magnetic, attunement to your style of magic and my affinity for The Warp. A focus essentially. It is a pity I don't have access to something called wraithbone from my homeworld. It would have been perfect for something like this."

7. - Top - End - #457

Cessie's Lab==> Armory

It appears like they're heading out of the main keep and into the forge just outside of it. "There is the staff VIGIL took from your hotel, I think that's made of this 'bone'. Is it actual bone from a creature, or is it just a name? How would we even use it? Enchantments, the way I do it, is essentially to make a effect stay permanently. For an armor that could mean it manifesting a thick shell of magma rock around it, or enshroud it in a veil of vog. Things like that." Cessie explains.

"I believe Jezebel could make much more sophisticated enchantments, Lady Mithar. She is not limited to single concepts like you are, and she can manipulate actual matter right now."

The forge looks to not have been used for years, while the floor is clean there are parts covered in a rather thick layer of dust. There is a seemingly random assortment of weapons collecting dust in there however. Weapons that seems to have never been used despite being well-made.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-02-17 at 12:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Sword Training]

Wenomir parries Koshal's first thrust and goes on the offensive, keeping the young minotaur on his toes. He wants Koshal to use the advanced training he's been giving him. Cora will see Wenomir unleash a dizzying series of thrusts, cuts and strikes, seeming to almost make two strikes for every attack from Koshal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Sword Training]

Wenomir will find that it's impossible to keep Koshal on his toes, as he hasn't got any. But he can keep Koshal on his hooves. The minotaur parries and backsteps, making use of his superior reach to poke at Wenomir when he's just barely out of his own range. Faye, who has been hiding in Koshal's shadow, yips as a practice sword comes too close to her hiding spot. The shadow-dog hops out and sits down next to Cora, pouting.
    Koshal leaps backwards, a little higher than should be possible. He charges in, but it's a feint; before actually launching the obviously telegraphed swing he dips low and comes up in a low-high swing.
    [Sword Training]

Cora is leaning forward as she watches. She might just fall over if she's not careful. She startles when the shadow-dog appears out of nowhere, and a hundred questions cross her mind, but it'll take far more than that to keep her attention away from the melee in front of her.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

[Sword Training]

Wenomir sees Koshal's feint coming but decides to act as if he fell for it. He "mistimes" a parry and ends up being hit by Koshal's sword, then backsteps as if staggered and somersaults above the minotaur, before aiming a dizzying pair of horizontal slashes.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Return from Riverside]

Sakura does as he asks, her mouth a thin line and eyes full of worry throughout. He can feel her hands tremble as she works. When he poses his question, an agonized look crosses her face. "Why did this have to happen to you?" Her voice cracks a bit.
    [Return from Riverside]

Thankfully Adir is turned around for this. He doesn't need to see the look on her face and start tearing up. "Please don't ask me that, honey. It wasn't me. It was... it was everybody. It was half of Riverside. I got lucky, Sakura." Adir reaches behind himself and gently grabs Sakura's hand. Squeezes it fiercely. "And when it comes to this? Better me than Cessie. Better me than somebody who can't take it like I can. You know that's how it has to be."

Adir leans forward heavily onto the desk. "You know..." he repeats, not sounding so sure himself.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

"We don't know how they make it, actually. At least, I've never been privy to such. I suspect they just grow it however."
    Jezebel admits as she takes a look around the forge. She takes special care to examine the raw materials and starts to pull out steel, iron, mithril if there is any, as well as adamantine and ceramics clay. "The Eldar are secretive like that. Imagine all the horrible stereotypes you hear about elves and increase them ten-fold. If you can have Garn grab the Force Staff, I can start working in earnest as I've finally come to an idea."

She begins to hum as she waits for Garn to be sent for, but she's not idle. "There are stories where I'm from of daemons, special ones. Ones unaligned with the chaos gods that birthed them but instead run forges to smith not just weapons and armor, but vehicles and other daemons entirely." She explains before smiling a bit. "I never gave them much thought before, but it makes sense now that I wonder about it. In a way, I rather hope I do not bring down their ire with my own uneducated methods." She adds before holding up a hand to her face, calling forth a small ball of violet and crimson flame in her hand before throwing it into the adamantine forge to ignite it. There is the stench of ozone to the warp-fire, as well as the feeling of something unclean filling the air as a minuscule hole is torn into the Immaterium. "This, Ambrosia, is born right from the primordial realm we call The Immaterium, The Warp, back home. Raw emotion, souls-stuff, and thought given shape as one massive cataclysmic storm. A realm where starships ride the currents of reality to travel faster than light. In a way, it is the slag born from the creation of my universe. It is infinitely malleable provided one has the willpower to harness it. If I am to Create, then I will be making a masterpiece forged in this. The power of one world given shape within the power of another. It feels almost poetic, to be honest." She explains, almost seeming to be hypnotized by the unnatural flame before reaching out to pull a pair of rubies from a small bag she found under the forge counter.

"If this doesn't work, Cessie, I'll pay you back for everything I use here. Promise."
    She says before placing them in a small steel cylinder and putting it at the edge of the flame. The warp-fire isn't as hot as a real flame, but it was hot enough to be careful around. "When those are treated properly Cessie, I would like it if you tried to store your Eldritch within them or at least ran it through the gems." She explains as she ponders what to do with the small amount of mithril she'd found. She tosses the small ingot back and forth in her hands before she begins to just draw it out, turning it into thread. "What is your favorite fabric? The best thing you like to feel on your skin?" For a moment, Jezebel is distracted after the question, thinking of such skin before snapping back to reality.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return from Riverside]

"Cessie didn't need to be there either." Sakura protests. How does that make it any better? Tears start to stream down her cheeks. "What if this was worse? What if you didn't get better?" What if he didn't come home at all? She shudders at the thought. She tries to compose herself a bit more, but she ends up sobbing instead. It's too raw right now with Adir injured in front of her.

13. - Top - End - #463

Cessie's Forge

Cessie doesn't actually know the elven stereotypes that well, but she could figure it out from context and nods. "He should already be on his way getting the staff."
    She then goes to sit down some distance from the forge, not wanting to get too close to the things Jezebel were doing.

Ambrosia however seem to prefer to stand. Indeed, she moves closer to Jezebel to get a better look as the former daemon hums. "Mixing two different cosmoses is indeed a interesting concept. One that's only possible in the nexus. It's difficult to fully grasp what wider implications or uses this could have though." She remarks.

The sorceress who is still looking on from a safer distance raises an eyebrow when Jezebel turns to address her. Did Jezebel simply know that? "That's fine, don't worry about it, Jezebel. But my favorite fabric would be a blend, cotton and polyester." She had no problem answering that. Cessie does seem to know her fabrics.

Then a few minutes later Garn enters with the staff, giving Jezebel a suspicious look as he sees what she is doing, wearing and how she's changed. His eyes never leaves her even as he is handing over the staff to his master. "Here."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-02-21 at 07:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

"I've no idea what the results would be. Just that curiosity drives me to find out right now."
    Jezebel admits as she takes the Force Staff from Garn. "Thank you, the light of my eyes. Some day I'm going to have to try and find a good gift for you too. Maybe then you'll at least smile a bit. ...though perhaps not." She adds after a thoughtful pause. "You smiling at me would likely be far too disturbing of a sight for anyone to withstand."

As she walks back to the workbench, Jezebel twirls the staff in her hands. "Something the Imperials back home would never admit since it would be admitting heresy and a weakening of their own grasp upon technology, is that they love to occasionally take useful Xeno technology and twist it to their own ends." She explains with a grin. "Just saying that would have gotten me executed back home, but I hold the proof in my hands. Not all Force weaponry is made of wraith-bone, but some is. And inside..." She takes the staff and cracks it open on the edge of the workbench, breaking it and revealing a small cylinder hidden inside a seamless hollow. "Wraithbone acts as the staff's focus and channel, but this little device is the amplifier for human psykana. If you ever tried to use the staff and found it difficult, then this is probably why. The staff needs to practically bathe in your power for a long time to become attuned to it, and this focus was likely interfering. The only reason I know any of this is because I've broken a couple of these before. Much cruder and purely Imperial ones, but force weaponry regardless. The benefit to force weapons is that not only do they act as a focus for psykana and sorcery, but they strike right at the soul of entities such as daemons."

She holds up her hand, causing the pieces of the staff to float up before crushing it all to powder to set into a large bowl. "And that is my hope with this. Perhaps in making armor with this for us, combined with this aether and your eldritch, we'll have something that will shield us from the magics of demons such as those we've fought. And perhaps even allow your magic to become anathema to them."

15. - Top - End - #465

Cessie's Forge

Garn does not consider that worthy enough of a response apparently as he remains quiet. Finding no humor in it.
    Cessie on the other hand can't help but to look amused at the idea of finding Garn's smile 'disturbing'.

However, she actually looks worried and perhaps a bit disturbed as Jezebel simple breaks the staff which she until this point had been using occasionally. Especially when Jezebel crushes it into a powder. Hopefully that sacrifice would be worth it.

Ambrosia just observes though, showing little not no reaction to what Jezebel is doing beyond curiosity as her tome continues taking notes.

"I... would the armor have the same functions as the staff?" Cessie finally inquires. "Since I could use something I could take with me without having to put on the armor. Otherwise that sounds promising, even if I don't know how eldritch is supposed to mimic silvers effect. It's literary a different concept, unless you are talking about your 'daemons', which probably aren't the same thing."

16. - Top - End - #466

[Return from Riverside]

"Cessie didn't need to be there either." Sakura protests. How does that make it any better? Tears start to stream down her cheeks. "What if this was worse? What if you didn't get better?" What if he didn't come home at all? She shudders at the thought. She tries to compose herself a bit more, but she ends up sobbing instead. It's too raw right now with Adir injured in front of her.

[Return from Riverside]

"Yes she did. Same reason I needed to be," Adir tells his poor dryad, voice sad but steady. Adir wants to smile gamely, tell her that there was no chance of that, but he's not feeling good enough for boasting. He knew it would only be a brave lie.

Still, the stag can't keep doing this with his back turned. He stops her for a moment and turns around, raising his hands to Sakura's face. He cups her cheeks as if trying to hold back the tears. "Sakura... Sakura." He'll plant a kiss on her forehead. "Would you want a man who left Jezebel and her people to fight for their home alone? Who didn't try to help everyone he could? I mean... I wouldn't deserve this... I wouldn't deserve you! If I was that kind of a-a coward!" His voice cracks.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2019-02-25 at 10:17 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword Training

Koshal leaps backwards, clearly abusing his ability to levitate as he tumbles. He makes a show out of kicking lightly off the ceiling and returning to his original distance from Wenomir. He’s very proud of that move, but he’d probably never use it in a real fight.
    Faye’s tail thumps against the floor in excitement.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return from Riverside]

"I know." Sakura's voice cracks and tears stream down her face in earnest. This is an irreconcilable problem. "I just don't want you to get hurt. I don't ever want to see you like this." She chokes through her sobs.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

[Sword Training]

Koshal won't have much room to breathe, as Wenomir performs his own leap. He'd strike at Koshal while he's in the air, but that might cause both of them to tumble down to the ground and that's not very appropriate right now. Instead, he leaps into the air himself, only to land in front of Koshal and deliver two lightning-fast diagonal strikes that try to get through his guard from upwards and downwards.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

"I will treat a pair of dress gloves with such instead then. Woven in with mithril and cloth and those gems. My hope is that if you attune your Eldritch through it all, it will work not just on my daemons but others as well." Jezebel explains as she looks over her work. Without bothering to look at the collection of clothing, she calls several pieces out and causes them to unravel as they float next to her. "Cessie, do you mind baring your arms? I wish to make sure I get a perfect fit." Should Cessie do so, she'll see all the cloth and mithril thread coat itself in the pulverized wraithbone while Jezebel reaches into the Warp-fire to pull out the rubies. Instead of the bright red they usually are, they're now a dark red-purple with thin green lines crackling within. With the cloth and gems treated, Jezebel approaches Cessie, hands out with a smile. "Hands out, palms up. Close your eyes, concentrate on your Eldritch through your arms and these gems, and if you can, sing. Supposedly the Eldar sing to make the bone grow and change, and while I do not believe we'll have much of an effect...who knows?" She reasons.

If Cessie doesn't object to it, Jezebel will hold the mage's hands in her own and begin to weave it directly around her hands and arms all the way up to her biceps. As requested, she's using a cotton and polyester mix, making it feel soft and pliable to Cessie's skin even if it is a little cool and odd feeling with the mithril and wraithbone mixed in. The gloves aren't complete, leaving her fore-finger and middle fingers uncovered so she can work delicately when needed. When she's done, the small gems are in the palms of the gloves, woven in and firmly seated. It may feel slightly awkward to grip or hold something for a while but is something she should be able to get used to.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2019-03-02 at 04:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471

[Return from Riverside]

"I know." Sakura's voice cracks and tears stream down her face in earnest. This is an irreconcilable problem. "I just don't want you to get hurt. I don't ever want to see you like this." She chokes through her sobs.
    [Return from Riverside]

"I'm sorry," says Adir, knowing it's not necessary but feeling apologetic regardless. He tries to lean down and kiss her with all his force. He can't pour enough of his love into that one kiss. The snap when their lips break seems almost shockingly loud, and his breath is rough, as though overcome with emotion or something else... "I'm sorry. I'll be more careful. I promise."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #472

Cessie's Forge

This was all beyond Cessie's expertise regarding aether and its effects on people. While she had dealt with other friends and family that had been under its effects it had never been something she had gotten used to. The only thing she had learned was that she probably shouldn't perform these experiments anymore, especially after what had happened with Sakura.
    However, the real expert here, Ambrosia, didn't seem to protest so she figured it was alright. Thus she nods and obliges, pulling back the arm of her dress. "Very well..."

Jezebel's next request makes her raise an eyebrow however. "Sing? Sing what?" It had been a while since she sang anything. The last song she could remember singing was a lullaby to Jillian, and that must have been weeks ago.
    But without any other suggestions, she will sing just that. A lullaby relatively short, slow, lullaby.
    She looks rather skeptical when the glove starts to form, shuddering as she feels the sensation against her arm. But she won't interrupt or pull away. This was what Jezebel said would happened after all and she trusted her. She just hoped this glove would be easy to remove...

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Sword Training]

Koshal won't have much room to breathe, as Wenomir performs his own leap. He'd strike at Koshal while he's in the air, but that might cause both of them to tumble down to the ground and that's not very appropriate right now. Instead, he leaps into the air himself, only to land in front of Koshal and deliver two lightning-fast diagonal strikes that try to get through his guard from upwards and downwards.
    [Sword Training]

Koshal parries the first blow but is slow on the second one, clumsily blocking it and stumbling backwards. He tries to get back into a proper guard, but there is a massive hole in his defense should Wenomir choose to press him.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

[Sword Training]

Wenomir does press his advantage, aiming a light thrust past Koshal's defences. He'll keep it up for a while, making his apprentice do his best, but eventually he'll let him score three hits first.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Return from Riverside]

"I'm sorry," says Adir, knowing it's not necessary but feeling apologetic regardless. He tries to lean down and kiss her with all his force. He can't pour enough of his love into that one kiss. The snap when their lips break seems almost shockingly loud, and his breath is rough, as though overcome with emotion or something else... "I'm sorry. I'll be more careful. I promise."
    [Return from Riverside]

Sakura kisses him back, and after it breaks, Sakura just settles her chin on his shoulder and holds onto his arms. He'll feel her nod before she pulls herself together. "Are you sure you don't need to go to the doctor?" She asks, still as scared for him as she has been, but trying to refocus on the situation at hand.

26. - Top - End - #476

[Return from Riverside]

"I will... after I sleep. And spend a little time with the kids. They need to know I'm okay. I'm guessing Cern is... well, he's putting an exciting spin on things," Adir winces. "Come on," he says, trying to take her by the hand. He'll head over and peek out into the living room at the gathered children, just his head for now. Of course, he's not exactly stealthy any more, and the children might spot his antlers even before they see their dad proper.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

"You have a wonderful singing voice."
    Jezebel says once Cessie is done, smiling as she whispers it into the mage's ear. "You should use it more often and maybe let it out for other things too." She teases before running her hands up Cessie's arms to feel the gloves and give each a slight tug. They fit perfectly and flexed just enough to make it easy to pull them off with only slight effort on the mage's part. "A lullaby was likely one of the better choices. The Warp is an emotional force. It does not take to cold calculation easily, so singing something soothing and soft to provide a sense of ease might have made this work as well as it did. If you sang something of anger or felt fear while singing and letting your power through these, their form might have drastically changed to something far less appealing and more dangerous. I do not know that for certain, of course, but it should be something to keep in mind if you ever use your Eldritch through these."

Once she takes the gloves off of Cessie, she'll offer one to the mage to examine and the other to Ambrosia should she appear curious. "If you find it to your satisfaction, then perhaps we can make the rest of the outfit on you as well?" Behind her, a portion of the wraithbone is mixed with the clay, as well as adamantine powder that simply seems to fall off of the "ingots" of the metal. Jezebel's own armor didn't need as exacting of proportions or need her to attune it to herself, but it still required a careful mix of ingredients.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sword Training]

Eventually Koshal totters, falling onto his rear as the last blow is struck.
    "Hah. You see...how much I've been improving, Mister Wenomir?" he asks proudly, between his long breaths.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sword Training]

"Yeah! Go Wenomir!" Cora pops to her feet and cheers. Her eyes shine with admiration. "Teach me something now!" She scampers over to the two, brimming with energy.

[Return from Riverside]

The kids are a sullen, scared looking lot when Adir peeks his head in. The first to notice him is Lucy. "Daaaddy!" She runs over to him, tears streaming down her face. She latches onto his leg and buries her face against him. It's only moments before the rest of the kids stream over. Adir's going to be surrounded.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2019-03-12 at 09:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

[Sword Training]

"Your skill continues to grow, Koshal," Wenomir says proudly. "And you're matching my acrobatics with your own." He then turns to the very excited half-dragon before them. "You've been a very conscientious student, Cora. You've learned all the poses and footwork I showed you, so now Koshal and I will teach you some sword-swings. Get your training sword and keep it beside your head as I've taught you."