New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Cessie's Lab]

"Do you even hear yourself! If you can't tell the difference between what she said and what you did, I don't know what to say." Sakura's just about to simmer over at this point. She can hardly believe her ears. She's still processing all the awful things Adir said, and it's only getting worse.

[Sunny Day]

"No, I don't think so." Sakura's still troubled, but what can be done? "Unless you'd like to entertain Laela for a little bit longer. She'd be disappointed if you just left." Though that can likely be left off screen at this point.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie's reply is once again curt. "Yes, that's all the reply you deserve, Adir." She folds her arms over her chest, silently staring back at the stag. She was going to play the bigger person for now. Adir was doing a far better job than her dragging herself down anyway, so not doing anything was the best tactic right now.

[Sunny Day]

"Oh, I'd love to. She seems like a good kid, very brave, very proactive. Good qualities in a person." Dena replies with a smile.

((Actually, I would like to play it out if that's okay.))

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Mithar Keep's Adimantium Gates

Unaabhi replies: I am fluent in over forty million biological processes, including, but limited to, human, yithian, squirrel, rabbit, elder thing, gods and goddesses, etc. I thank you for the assistance, I must be off.

The creature then starts to fly to the sky, and beyond the sky. Well it doesn't seem he's burning up in the atmosphere. He's probably fine.
    Mithar Keep's Adimantium Gates

"Er, no problems. Good luck." Cessie says as the creature walks off. Well, that had been odd. Hopefully it would work out in the end, surely GloG had dealt with stranger people before...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Okay, one sec." Sakura hurries off, not wanting to leave Dena waiting for too long. A short bit later she comes back with Laela following close behind. "I'm back!" The girl exclaims.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie gets a dirty look and some gritted teeth, but Adir is just focused on defending himself at this point. He looks at Sakura with his ears piqued, his expression still outraged. "Sakura, she thinks we're a couple of idiots, she just doesn't wanna say the words. She said she pities us, for the Gods sakes. That or she pities our kids, for having such an awful couple of parents." Cessie does get another look then.

"...I said some things that I shouldn't have. Some stuff I didn't mean."
    His brow furrows. "I'm sorry. I can't take any more of this kami stuff. So I got angry. Am I not allowed?" He sets his jaw and glares fiercely. "It sure as hell wasn't all wrong, either."

"Are you actually only angry at me? Is that how this is gonna be? Just because when I say something that hurts, it happens to be big and obvious? Did you not hear the contempt? From your friend?" He indicates Cessie with a dismissive wave of the hand.

[Treasure Hunting]

"Neither!"
    Cernunnos tells Tuskfang mysteriously, and he wags his eyebrows. His hands make theatrical motions. "She's a hooman. Like Aunt Cessie. But browner."

"A lot browner."

It is truly a mystery.

Zillia just turns and wags her own thin, red brows at Reelshka. Mimicing Cernunnos' gleeful expression almost to a tee. "I was just going to have the children jump out and say 'boo'. But I think that it might be too late now..."

Indeed, Adir's footsteps can be heard returning along the hallway!
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Sunny Day]

"Okay, one sec." Sakura hurries off, not wanting to leave Dena waiting for too long. A short bit later she comes back with Laela following close behind. "I'm back!" The girl exclaims.
    [Sunny Day]

Dena smiles. "That you are." She takes a moment to study the little girl. "Oldest girl in the family, huh? Pretty big responsibility, when you get older you have to make sure that your siblings don't end up in trouble." She says as she kneels down, compared to Sakura, she must be pretty tall.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

"Do you think I never heard her? The difference is that when I get upset I don't decide to go on the attack. So stop it!" Sakura steps forward and imposes herself directly between Adir and Cessie. "I don't want to hear another word justifying the horrible, monstrous things you said. It's- it's indefensible! You can either apologize to her right now and we can talk to Cessie like reasonable people, or you can leave so I can do that myself. Then you can apologize to her later once you have your head on straight."

[Sunny Day]

Oh, this is kinda serious sounding. Laela glances at her mom and then back at Dena. "All of them?" She whispers. That's a lot of siblings to keep track of!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang's tail falls a bit, as do his ears.

"So your dad is a hooman, not just a deer? Woooow."

"People can have many parts, Tuskfang."

Meanwhile, Reelshka's ears twitch.

"Seems so. Looks like I ruined your prank, spoilsport that I am. But maybe there'll be another opportunity."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #38

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie steels herself. What Adir had just said was almost more infuriating than his last rant. "My contempt? Sakura is twice the mother I am, and I thought you were a better father than Harnel was, but after hearing all this I'm not so sure. I was angry since you were throwing it it all away so casually."

[Sunny Day]

Dena seem to consider this for a moment. "How many siblings do you have Laela?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Uh, one... two..." Laela counts on her fingers. "Five!" She looks at her mom, who shakes her head. "Uh..." She rethinks her answer. "Six!"

10. - Top - End - #40

[Cessie's Lab]

Adir takes a step back as Sakura interposes herself, and the lines in his face deepen. He laughs as he talks, but it's utterly mirthless. "Sakura, you mean like how you're attacking me? Right now?" Sort of walked into that one. His face stiffens and his fury reasserts, but there's a touch enough of hurt there too. "I just said I was sorry. I meant it. Take it or don't. And Cessie--"

He looks at her, eyes widening slightly. "What-- what the hell are you talking about? Throwing it all away?" His confusion seems genuine.

[Treasure Hunting]

"There always is,"
    Zillia agrees, and with that Reelshka might suddenly find herself deposited on the far side of the wall, facing the kids again. They will have been, mysteriously, looking away at the time. Or perhaps blinking.

Cernunnos shrugs. "He looks like a human an' a deer, doesn't he?"

Gwydion nods. "Not too much of either."

"What are we talking about now?"
    Adir asks with a brow cocked and a smirk on his face as he reappears. Though unlike Reelshka, he doesn't pop out of a wall, he simply returns from the hallway.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2017-08-14 at 10:50 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Brinika's eyes narrow when Reelshka suddenly reappears. Tuskfang doesn't seem to have noticed, though.

"We're talkin' about grammas!" he says, in response to Adir.

"The boys got to comparing their family trees," Reelshka specifies, in an innocent tone of voice. "Which, after all, is pretty literal on Cern and Gwydion's mother's side."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Sunny Day]

"Uh, one... two..." Laela counts on her fingers. "Five!" She looks at her mom, who shakes her head. "Uh..." She rethinks her answer. "Six!"
    [Sunny Day]

"Wow, that's a lot! Lucky you that you got your mom and dad taking care of them. I had to take care of that many children myself, and they weren't even my siblings." Dena claims.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Were they your babies?!" Is Dena a mommy too? "Do your babies have snakes on their head too?"

[Cessie's Lab]

Sakura crosses her arm, not remotely impressed. "Don't give me that. You're being terrible, and making you answer for that is not attacking you. And I do not buy that apology?"
    Last edited by Gullara; 2017-08-23 at 06:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

[Cessie's Lab]

"Everything you've done for your children, the way you raised them, you're risking their well-being by having too many children in a very short time. That's what you might be throwing away." Cessie clarifies, not looking terribly impressed either.

[Cessie's Lab]

Dena's smile widens. "Not exactly, they were other people's children, and it was back when I was your age, Leala. As one of the older children around, I had to take care of all the younger ones. It was very hard work, as I'm sure your mother understands." She glances at Sakura.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Sakura is just watching them. Her hand is over her mouth, but there's no covering the smile in her eyes.

"Really? My age? You took care of all of them?" That does sou8nd like a lot of work. "Didn't their mommies and daddies do that?"

16. - Top - End - #46

[Cessie's Lab]

"Their mommies and daddies were busy with other things, so it was up to the older children to take responsibility. My mother did help me to take care of them though. It was like a job, like what your daddy do every day." If he even had one right now. Adir always dressed like some kind of drifter so it was difficult to tell at times. "And when I wasn't working with that, my mother made me train in swordplay." She considers a brief moment. "That's what your friend Cora is interested in, isn't it?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-08-17 at 07:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

[Cessie's Lab]

"You don't get to choose or judge that,"
    Adir tells Cessie. "Even if it made any sense. We've been taking care of them just fine. If you want to help, or offer, or give some friendly advice, you don't come at us - at me - like that."

"It sure feels like it,"
    he tells Sakura. "When you aren't trying to make Cessie answer for anything. What the hell is this? Who's married to who, here? You could at least try to understand why I'm so angry. You should already know."

"I don't really think Cessie shouldn't have had the kids. It's not something I would ever wish,"
    Adir scowls, and his speech becomes halting. "And I don't really think... she drove anyone away..." Hrrm. They can see Adir's eyes wavering, almost seeming to parse over invisible words as he goes over what he said again in his head.

"I'm sorry, Cessie,"
    Adir lowers his head and rubs his palm and fingers over his eyes. "I'm sorry. That was nasty and cruel and stupid."

[Treasure Hunting]

Adir laughs. "I'm gonna steal that. Sarget will think it's hilarious," he tells Reelshka. "We really don't have much of a real family tree, though. Kind of a shame. I'm first generation Frescot, and my dad is sort of as old as the world, so as far as I know there wasn't anybody that came before. All the history is in him."

Cernunnos, bored by this, goes up to tug on his dad's hand. "Can we go explore now?"

Adir grins and tells the boy sure, voice bubbling with laughter, and Cern hurries back over to take Tuskfang's hand to help him up from where he sits.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Reelshka's ears perk up. She had no idea Adir had such an illustrious lineage. It's sort of like with Tuskfang's Wolfen grandparents, she supposes.

Tuskfang gets to his feet, fumbling a little on the way, and bounces up and down. Treasure hunting!

"Where are we goin' to look?"

19. - Top - End - #49

[Treasure Hunting]

"The library."

"The liberry!"

They had already decided after all. Adir walks a little behind and lets Cernunnos and Gwydion try to lead the other children along. The speak in a continuous squeaking duet.

"We're searchin' for a map of treasure."

"The map to the treasure. Jewels and things."

"Magic swords!"

"Maybe a magic book."

"Bo-ring." Cernunnos looks at Tuskfang. "What treasure do you wanna look for?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang ponders this very important question. What does he want to look for?

"Are there magic rings? Or crowns? They're always super important in stories."

Reelshka and Brinika likewise follow along, but let the boys chatter.

21. - Top - End - #51

[Treasure Hunting]

"I bet we can find a ring."

"Adults always have rings on. Daddy is wearing his right now!"

"Maybe Brinika wants a ring?"
    Gwydion looks at her over his shoulder. "We can save one for you!"

Entering the library, the small caravan of kids sees things as in-order as they've always been. Cessie's got some places to read, complete with little lamps, set aside around the middle of the room. A pair of stairs lead to a small catwalk that runs above the rest of the room. There are shelves laden with tomes and scrolls.

While the kids perhaps start their search, Adir winks at Reelshka and Brinika and slinks off to one side, into the hall and out of sight.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Cessie's Lab]

"You don't get to choose or judge that,"
    Adir tells Cessie. "Even if it made any sense. We've been taking care of them just fine. If you want to help, or offer, or give some friendly advice, you don't come at us - at me - like that."

"It sure feels like it,"
    he tells Sakura. "When you aren't trying to make Cessie answer for anything. What the hell is this? Who's married to who, here? You could at least try to understand why I'm so angry. You should already know."

"I don't really think Cessie shouldn't have had the kids. It's not something I would ever wish,"
    Adir scowls, and his speech becomes halting. "And I don't really think... she drove anyone away..." Hrrm. They can see Adir's eyes wavering, almost seeming to parse over invisible words as he goes over what he said again in his head.

"I'm sorry, Cessie,"
    Adir lowers his head and rubs his palm and fingers over his eyes. "I'm sorry. That was nasty and cruel and stupid."
    [Cessie's Lab]

Cessie doesn't appear to be appeased by Adir's apology. Not yet. "I don't know what to say, Adir. I never imagined anyone saying such hurtful things to me and I can't help but to wonder where from you channeled all that from. Did you really not mean anything of that?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Brinika giggles.

"I've never worn a ring. I'd love to get one from you."

Meanwhile, Tuskfang is in awe of the library. He's never seen anything like that! So many books...

"It's so biiiiiig," he gasps. "I didn't know there were so many books!"

"You were in a big library before, Tuskfang. But you were just a baby. It was when I had your name written into my family book. That's how goblins do it."

The "book" was a slab of stone, actually, but let's not confuse the little kid more.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Sakura lets out a breath that it feels like she's been holding this entire time. This is... progress. She steps aside so she's not imposing herself between the two anymore. She bites her lip and looks at Cessie. She knows her friend isn't going to be over this so quickly.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Sunny Day]

Dena's smile widens. "Not exactly, they were other people's children, and it was back when I was your age, Leala. As one of the older children around, I had to take care of all the younger ones. It was very hard work, as I'm sure your mother understands." She glances at Sakura.
    [Sunny Day]

Laela looks horrified! "But little kids are crazy." She whispers. "How many?" It can't be more than her siblings, right?

It's all Sakura can do to not erupt into a fit of giggles. Her hand is firmly clamped over her mouth. She doesn't want to interrupt.

26. - Top - End - #56

[Sunny Day]

Dena starts counting on her fingers. "Well... there was a lot of people living in their longhouse. Not just the families, but all their servants too." Or thralls. "So at times, it could be up to twelve children to take care of. That is of course not counting all the older ones like myself. Boy, I really wished I had a mom and dad like yours back then. Those babies never let us do anything fun."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

Laela is silent for a moment, silently mouthing something... "That's way more than my brothers and sister! I got six. That's six more." Laela looks at her mom and then back at Dena. "Could you even play with friends?"

28. - Top - End - #58

[Sunny Day]

"We made games out of it, actually. I mostly made bets on things like what baby who would go to sleep first, or who would puke." She sticks out her tongue in pretend disgust, and Laela will likely notice that it is long and forked, like a snake's. "Sometimes, which I'm not especially proud of, we gave a group of babies one sweet, and took bets on who was going to eat it."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"You mean they fought over the candy." Laela giggles. That'd be funny, but... "Wouldn't they cry? Did you get in trouble?"

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Cessie's Lab]

Cessie doesn't appear to be appeased by Adir's apology. Not yet. "I don't know what to say, Adir. I never imagined anyone saying such hurtful things to me and I can't help but to wonder where from you channeled all that from. Did you really not mean anything of that?"

"I didn't say that,"
    Adir affirms. "I went too far. But if I could go back... Cessie, I'd only omit what I've already mentioned."

He frowns and his brows knit together. "I think it should be pretty obvious where I'm channeling this from, though, Cessie."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Treasure Hunting]

Brinika giggles.

"I've never worn a ring. I'd love to get one from you."

Meanwhile, Tuskfang is in awe of the library. He's never seen anything like that! So many books...

"It's so biiiiiig," he gasps. "I didn't know there were so many books!"

"You were in a big library before, Tuskfang. But you were just a baby. It was when I had your name written into my family book. That's how goblins do it."

The "book" was a slab of stone, actually, but let's not confuse the little kid more.
    Gwydion blush darkens his face to a chocolate brown, but he's distracted by Tuskfang's outburst. "You didn't know there were so many? Like in the whole world?" Gwydion's eyes widen. "There's millions an' millions of books."

"What do we do?"
    Asks Cernunnos.

The girls might hear Adir's voice a little ways down the hall, talking with... Zillia? Scheming, no doubt.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters