New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Sunny Day]

Dena smiles at the vague memory. "Oh, we got in trouble alright, all the time. My mother was particularly unhappy with our behavior. She wanted me to a fighter when I grew up, and tried to train me at every opportunity she got. But what about you then, what do you want to be when you grow up? Your mother isn't training you, is she?" She eyes Sakura as if expecting an answer.

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie doesn't reply this time, not immediately anyway. "Well, I think we've had enough drama for today. Especially considering that the children might have been overhearing our little discussion. Perhaps, we all should simply take a moment to calm down. We did all this for Sakura after all." Cessie says with a gesture at the dryad. "Yet now it has become all about us."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Reelshka's ears twitch towards Adir and Zillia. What are those two planning? Whatever it is, she has to keep an eye on the energetic youngsters.

"We should go lookin! Check behind the books!" Tuskfang declares. "An' behind the shelves and..."

"And we should be quiet and avoid making a mess, because this is a library," Reelshka reminds him .

"Uh. Yeah," Tuskfang agrees meekly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

Laela giggles. "No, but me and daddy practice with a bow sometimes." But what does she want to be? That's easy! "A princess! Like in my story books! She's brave and adventures with her friends and have the prettiest dresses!" She gushes.

[Cessie's Lab]

"Cessie. You can't just stay the stuff you did without me getting to say anything." Adir's outburst totally derailed anything productive so far. Sakura bites her lip and hesitates a moment. "I'm not happy that you had these concerns for so long and the first time I heard about them was like this. I thought we could talk to each other about anything."

4. - Top - End - #64

[Sunny Day]

"Oh, a battle princess?" Dena sounds intrigued and starts standing up. "Wanna show me your moves? A future princess such as yourself should know how to dance. Footwork is very important after all, both to have the right posture and to kick people's butts.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-08-29 at 04:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

Laela grins and jumps up and down. "Okay okay! Dancing is fun!" The girl shake and bounce without anything resembling anything like grace or poise. Maybe not quite Dena's type of dancing.

6. - Top - End - #66

[Sunny Day]

Dena didn't really expect anything else from a five year old girl.
    "Not bad! I like your energy." Dena says with a giggle. "But do you wanna see me dance now?" She asks with a smile.

Assuming that Laela says yes, Dena holds out her arms to the sides and first slowly starts moving her hips back and fourth while holding her arms nearly completely still. While there isn't music playing, Dena's body is moving to some unheard rhythm. She then starts moving her arms up and down, mimicking the movements of waves as she continues swaying with her hips.
    Dena had done the storm so many times that she knew it by muscle memory. It was a beginners dance, one of the first dances slaves were taught as it was tamer and involved a lot less improvising than most other dances.

However, as she have to throw her hair up and down, she does still have to improvise a bit due to the snakes. She raises her arms to the sky and then lets them fall down, along with her head, towards the ground. She then looks up, and continues with her hip movements. "Keep an eye on my feet, look how I move." Dena declares as she starts moving backwards, one step at the time while still allowing her body beat to that silent rhythm. "Same principle if you were fighting someone. You move like in a circle, getting past their blows." She moves to the side now, taking long sideways steps only to suddenly shift direction. "If you always keep moving like this, your opponent don't know which direction you're going. It's like dance fighting."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-08-30 at 08:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

After a few moments of searching, Adir reappears inexplicably: exiting the wall the way that Zillia does. Though arguably he does so much more stylishly, sliding on the balls of his feet, posing theatrically with his arms raised and cocked like he's about to start dancing. He's adorned in what looks like an absurd magician's costume. Even the blacks and whites leap from garment to garment, mingling like ink in water. Trailing at his back is a cloak of feathers from dozens of different birds. He hides his face behind a sequined opera mask, and even his antlers seem differently curled and dangle with multicolored ribbons.

He folds his arms skeptically and plops down to sit on the edge of one of the library's tables. In a cartoonish Di ck Dastardly voice, he snides, "Is someone supposed to be looking for treasure here?"

[Cessie's Lab]

Adir just spreads his hands skeptically. She couldn't have thought they'd just be done, like that?
    Last edited by Murkus; 2017-08-31 at 07:59 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Ooh, where'd you learn to dance like that?!" Laela has never seen anyone dance like that before. That's not how mommy dances. She moves after Dena, practically standing on her toes as she peers up at the gorgon.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Brinika has to stifle a giggle at Adir's costume, and Reelshka just smiles knowingly. Tuskfang seems properly awed by the sudden entrance of a mysterious personage, though. His ears perk up and his tail dips low.

"Yeah! We're treasure hunters!" He turns to Cern and Gwydion for confirmation.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #70

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie shoots a glare at Adir, but quickly devotes her full attention to Sakura. "As I explained, it did not feel like it was any of my business to tell you how many children you should have. But when you got more and more children in such a short time span, especially with that spirit involved. It felt like it was manipulating you, and finally I couldn't be quiet anymore." She attempts to explain.

[Sunny Day]

Dena smiles. "Other dancers, long ago. It took a lot of practice, a lot of effort." Not that she had much choice in the matter back then. "But if you want to be really good at something, there is no other way. You know that, right?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-09-03 at 06:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

"You didn't have to tell me anything. You could've just talked to me. Told me you were worried." Sakura crosses her arms and looks away.

[Sunny Day]

"Yeah! That's what Wenomir says. He says I gotta practice every day to get really good." Laela remembers him saying something like that! She looks thoughtful for a moment. "But what if no one teaches me every day?"

12. - Top - End - #72

[Sunny Day]

"You can always practice yourself, but it's true that have someone teaching you is the best way to learn." Dena kneels down again before Laela. "It sounds like you're interested."

13. - Top - End - #73

[Cessie's Lab]

Adir just coughs and scratches behind one of his ears, gaze downcast as well. He's sort of caught between feelings at the moment, and he hates seeing Sakura distraught, but he doesn't know what to do for this one.

[Treasure Hunting]

Cernunnos looks just as bewildered and excited as Tuskfang. He nods vigorously. Gwydion commits a little more slowly, narrowing his eyes at the sequin-masked figure. This seemed suspicious...

Nasally, the 'stranger' goes on, "Well I happen to have some... right here!" And his cape flies open on one side as he brings his arm up, revealing a number of dangling shiny things. Rings, crowns, little (dull-bladed) swords, their like. "Right - wow - right here!" Not bad, Zillia. "For I'm... Bumwip, the master thief! And they are my ill-gotten gains, freshly stolen from the fabulous Zillia! Nyahaha!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

As Reelshka and Brinika do their best to keep a straight face, Tuskfang gasps with outrage.

"That's not fair! We'll... we'll..." he struggles with a response to this treachery. "We'll gettem back and givvem back to her!" he squeaks.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Yeah! You dance very pretty." And she's sure that her story book princess dances very pretty too. Yes, that sounds right.

16. - Top - End - #76

[Cessie's Lab]

"I tried suggesting it, but I was too subtle. I just didn't want to say it outright as it felt like I would disrespect your parenting ability, when I have nothing but respect for it." Cessie admits. "I sometimes have trouble discussing these things."

[Sunny Day]

"I could train you, with your parents permission of course." Dena glances at Sakura, thought the dryad might not notice as Dena's eyes are as always behind sunglasses. "Maybe I could even teach you to ride at some point."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

"I don't want you feeling that way. The next time you think I'm doing something wrong or you're worried, tell me. Maybe I won't agree, but what if you were right and said nothing?" Sakura crosses her arms. Cessie would know better than this by now.

[Sunny Day]

"Ride? Ride what?!" Ooh, Laela is interested now. That tease has so much potential!

Sakura seems kind of surprised that it Dena is actually offering at this point. Clearly she must have been won over by Laela's adorableness. Who wouldn't be? "Well, if Dena has time and if you ask her very nicely."

"Ooh, yes, please!"

18. - Top - End - #78

[Cessie's Lab]

"Nothing but respect?"
    It first might sound like Adir is scoffing, but he's more choking on his surprise. "Wow," Adir rubs one of his eyebrows with his fingers, staring ahead. "This must be some human thing I'm just not getting."

[Treasure Hunting]

"Hoohoo, says you!"
    Bumwip sneers! "What will you do, little fellow?" He spreads his cloak again, and the treasures have disappeared. "You'll have to get past my miraculous powers, first!" How menacing!

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #79

[Sunny Day]

Dena smiles again. "Why, a pony of course. I think I was about your age when I first rode one so it is only fitting." But then she glances up at Sakura. "But is Adir alright with it? I don't really want to surprise him."

[Cessie's Lab]

Cessie frowns as she hears Adir's comment, but she is quick to turn her attention back to Sakura.
    "I promise I will try to be more vocal with my grievances in the future, Sakura." A beat. "But I think I need a moment alone now, if you can forgive me. This has been quite stressful for all of us, I'm sure." She doesn't even look at Adir.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang gasps, then growls. It's a very wolf-like growl. His dad's half of the family is making itself heard.

"Where did they go? We'll find 'em! We're treasure hunters! Right?" He turns to his friends for confirmation.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Sakura breathes out. That's probably the best she can hope for right now. "Alright Cessie." That really could have went much better. She frowns at Adir. He better watch it. He may have backed down from the things he said before, but he's still not helping anything.

[Sunny Day]

Laela's mouth drops open. "A pony?! Really?!" Laela turns to her mom, interrupting her as she's trying to answer Dena. "Mommy I need my story book!" She jumps up and down.

"Sweety, it's all the way upstairs. What do you need it for?"

"I need it! I needta show her a picture!" Laela's voice gets whiny and petulant when it sounds like she might not get what she wants.

"Why don't you tell her what's in the picture?" Sakura suggests calmly.

Laela purses her lips and stomps her foot. Her little face gets red. But she wants to explain to Dena more than she wants to pitch a fit, so she turns back around. "There's a picture with the princess sitting on a pretty white pony looking so beautiful!" The words practically burst out of her. "And then next page it's action time and she's gotta ride off really fast!"

22. - Top - End - #82

[Cessie's Lab]

Ouch. Ignored and glowered at. "Well, okay," Adir claps his hands and wrings them together, fixing them both with his most sardonic smile. "...How about I just go check on those kids I don't care about, yeah?" He wags a hand, stuffs them both in his pockets, and turns to tromp off back where he was before Ambrosia arrived. His ears are pointed straight up in obvious agitation, and that little puffy tail that sometimes pokes up past his belt is bristly and stiff.

[Treasure Hunting]

Kid's got a good growl.

"Right!"
    Cernunnos barks, playing right into it! He pumps his little fists! Gwydion looks at them both, a little hesitant, but finally nods vigorously.

Bumwip just does his best evil laugh once more and snaps his gloved fingers. Suddenly, a number of Cessie's books come flying off the shelves! They flap toward the assembled boys like little birds, moving close to... well, they don't actually do anything if the boys stand still and wait long enough. They just sort of blow air at them and seem menacing. A few of them might try to tickle Tuskfang with their bookmarks if he doesn't do something!

Also floating about, flying lazy loops through the air, is what appears to be a little brown treasure map. It's got a big X and 'Treasure!' on it and everything.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #83

[Cessie's Lab]

"I should see to them as well. Eventually." Cessie let's out a sigh, and then disappears into the master bed room, leaving Sakura alone.

Well, almost alone.

As the others leave, Ambrosia suddenly peeks out from the lab. "...so I guess we're done then?"

[Sunny Day]

"A white pony, huh? I do know someone who owns some ponies that you might be able to ride. However, keep in mind that the princess in the book probably trained a lot to be able to ride like that, so it will take time for you as well." Dena says.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang waves his paws at the books, giggling. Flying books are funny and tickle. But then... a treasure map!

"Issa map! It'll tell us where the treasure is!"

He toddles up to it vigorously and tries to grab it. Brinika and Reelshka just keep watching the whole scene.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

Sakura huff. That was such a disaster. And all of it was just so... dumb! The dryad jumps a bit when Ambrosia speaks up. She whirls around. "Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry, I forgot you were waiting." Sakura scurries over, looking downright horrified. "Oh no, you had to sit through all of that, didn't you." As if it weren't dreadful enough as is.

[Sunny Day]

Laela grins from ear to ear. "Can we go right now?! I wanna ride a pony!"

26. - Top - End - #86

[Cessie's Lab]

"It's quite alright, miss. I've been through worse conversations."
    She assures Sakura. "I would like us to continue this at some point though, if that's okay with you. I understand that you might not like me after our previous meetings, but this time I'm just trying to help you make yourself comfortable with your current status and help your husband accept it. Nothing else."

[Sunny Day]

"I don't know, your mother might have a thing or two to say about leaving the house with strangers. Why don't we get to know one another first, alright?" Dena argues. "Perhaps I'll take the pony to you someday."

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang waves his paws at the books, giggling. Flying books are funny and tickle. But then... a treasure map!

"Issa map! It'll tell us where the treasure is!"

He toddles up to it vigorously and tries to grab it. Brinika and Reelshka just keep watching the whole scene.
    [Treasure Hunting]

The other boys scatter or duck a little bit as the books soar around, and Cernunnos even bats one out of the air. The map flutters to one side, and Gwydion cries "I've got it!" before taking his own swipe. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, and he stumbles before half landing against one of the little flying tomes. It supports his weight, at least. Meanwhile, the map flutters higher and higher...

Bumwip sneers and disappears with a gust of laughter, the book flock hiding his escape.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Mommy can come too!" Laela whirls around and grabs hold of her mom's hand. "Let's go!" She tugs.

"Laela. What've I said about patience?" Sakura admonishes.

"Sorry..." Aw, Laela's hopes and dreams are temporarily shattered!

[Cessie's Lab]

"Right, um..." Sakura looks as conflicted as she is flustered. "When would you want to do that?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Path up to the Keep]

A visitor is coming up the cobbled road to the adamantium gate. He's walking slowly and carefully, as if the neatly-pruned trees might conceal any number of horrible things.

It would seem to be Nadas Xar'cha, mage and scholar. He's wearing not his customary robes, but jeans and a faded polo shirt advertising a now-defunct Inside sports team. A curious unsheathed silver sword hangs at his side, apparently fastened to a belt-loop.

He glances from the gate to the gargoyles. Should he simply knock?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

"Awwww, it's too high!" Tuskfang whines. "How do we get up there? Moooom, can you help us?"

"Maybe Mrs. Mithar has a ladder here somewhere," Reelshka says, looking around. She's not going to let any of the boys climb one, certainly.