New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Sunny Day]

"Why don't you get your story book so you can show me what kind of pony you want, Laela?" Dena suggests to the heartbroken toddler. "I very much would like to see the pretty princess."

[Cessie's Lab]

"One moment..." Ambrosia takes up her tome and starts flipping through it. "What about... this day one week from now?" She finally suggests. "Is that good for you?" She asks, meeting the dryads gaze.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

"That's uh, probably fine, yeah." Sakura thinks for a second. "We might be moved to our new place by then, though. So I guess you should check in before that." No use Ambrosia showing up here if they're not going to be here.

[Sunny Day]

Laela spins toward Sakura. "Okay okay, go get your book." Laela squeals in delight and runs off, leaving the adults alone. "It's very nice that you're doing this." Sakura's honestly not sure what brought it on.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2017-09-21 at 11:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

Default Re: [Path up to the Keep]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    A visitor is coming up the cobbled road to the adamantium gate. He's walking slowly and carefully, as if the neatly-pruned trees might conceal any number of horrible things.

It would seem to be Nadas Xar'cha, mage and scholar. He's wearing not his customary robes, but jeans and a faded polo shirt advertising a now-defunct Inside sports team. A curious unsheathed silver sword hangs at his side, apparently fastened to a belt-loop.

He glances from the gate to the gargoyles. Should he simply knock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Cessie's Lab]

"That's uh, probably fine, yeah." Sakura thinks for a second. "We might be moved to our new place by then, though. So I guess you should check in before that." No use Ambrosia showing up here if they're not going to be here.

[Sunny Day]

Laela spins toward Sakura. "Okay okay, go get your book." Laela squeals in delight and runs off, leaving the adults alone. "It's very nice that you're doing this." Sakura's honestly not sure what brought it on.
    [Sunny Day]

"Just making friends." Dena replies with a smile. "People don't understand the value of friends these days. The truth is that the more connections you have, the more powerful you become." She muses.

[Cessie's Lab]

The scholar nods. "Sounds reasonable. I'll be arriving at noon if that's alright then."

[Path up to the Keep]

The gargoyles are unmoving, yet he might still feel himself being watched by them still.

Then all of sudden a larger gargoyle, which is very much moving, approaches the gate carrying a broom. It inspects Nada's for a moment, letting its cold blue eyes look at him from tip to toe. "You... Nadas?" The gargoyle finally asks.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Path up to the Keep]

Nadas twists quickly to look right at the gargoyle, the image of being startled.
    "Yes, that's me. I was hoping to speak with Ms. Mithar." It's not even a lie. Not entirely. He looks just like Nadas, though he doesn't move like Nadas; Nadas from before wouldn't be caught dead in clothes like these.
    He offers the gargoyle a nervous smile.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Lab]

"That's fine. Uh, let me walk you out." And Sakura will do just that if there's nothing else.

[Sunny Day]

"Oh, well alright." Sakura's brow furrows a bit. Not exactly the reply she was expecting. Hard to know how to feel about that...

Thankfully they don't have to dwell on that long, because they can hear Laela come back before she appears. "I got it I got it!" Laela runs up to Dena and drops to her knees. She plants a book on the floor and starts flipping through it. At a glance Dena can see it's full of colourful pictures, and very worn. After a moment, Laela stands, holding the book open to a certain page. Along the bottom of the page is a picture of a young girl in very fancy clothes riding a pure white horse. She looks determined as she drives the horse into a gallop!

6. - Top - End - #96

[Sunny Day]

Dena kneels down a bit to get a better look. "Well, would you look at that. That's a princess alright. I'd recognize them anywhere." She claims as she strokes her chin. "I've actually seen a few princesses in my days. Isn't lady Cessie one of them? I know that she's noble at least."

[Path up to the Keep]

The gargoyle tilts his head. "Why you want to speak with her? Haven't heard anything about it." Garn is, as always, suspicious.

7. - Top - End - #97

"Because we're friends?" Nadas protests, a little incredulous. What was it the other Nadas had told him? Strongest scholastic correspondents? Something like that.
    "But I specifically wanted to discuss some hypotheses of mine on Wealdlike trasportation systems. So much of my data remains incompletely explained. I haven't called ahead, just thought that while I was in the city, I would...uh...drop by."
    He would really like to ask questions, but that might look too suspicious.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Treasure Hunting]

"Awwww, it's too high!" Tuskfang whines. "How do we get up there? Moooom, can you help us?"

"Maybe Mrs. Mithar has a ladder here somewhere," Reelshka says, looking around. She's not going to let any of the boys climb one, certainly.
    There is certainly a wooden step-ladder nearby. It's set up on wheels. The Frescot boys fend off a couple more flying books as Reelshka goes to retrieve the parchment. They swat them away and laugh.

Once the map is had, it seems to indicate a random path winding through the halls of the Keep in a circle until they reach... Zillia's room! It seems the master thief thinks it's ingenius, judging by the word 'INGENUS' written next to the small marker-drawn box. Who would ever suspect their stolen jewels to be hidden in their own bedroom? No one, that's who.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #99

Default Re: [Path up to the Keep]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Because we're friends?" Nadas protests, a little incredulous. What was it the other Nadas had told him? Strongest scholastic correspondents? Something like that.
    "But I specifically wanted to discuss some hypotheses of mine on Wealdlike trasportation systems. So much of my data remains incompletely explained. I haven't called ahead, just thought that while I was in the city, I would...uh...drop by."
    He would really like to ask questions, but that might look too suspicious.
    [Path up to the Keep]

Garn appears to consider these words. "Master is busy. Wait here." He finally declares before disappearing again.
    If Nada's does wait around, the gargoyle will eventually return with Cessie in tow. "Nada's how nice to see you again." That was a interesting choice of attire though, had something happened? "How may I help you?" She asks with a smile. She is dressed in a white attire today, with a lot of ruffles involved.
    The gate will now open for him, and he will be invited inside. However, Garn is till keeping a close eye on him.

10. - Top - End - #100

Nadas waits, thinking that this is probably not a trap, but still more suspicious than he'd prefer. But he keeps his eyes and ears peeled.

When Cessie finally arrives, he is momentarily speechless at her appearance. So elegant. He'd never looked like that, not until- well. Some people have all the luck, is what it is.

"Ah, good to see you!" It really is good to see her. That means it's at worst an elaborate ambush, and almost certainly not an ambush at all. Should he say 'Cessie'? 'Ms. Mithar'? Better not use any forms of address at all.
    He steps in through the gate, pointedly not looking at Garn. Or at Cessie. Simply up at the keep.

"I was hoping I could prevail upon your knowledge. As regards that transportation system I mentioned to your gargoyle, I may have suffered a small case of, ah, total memory loss. So in addition to getting your professional opinion on a spell I was thinking you could perhaps fill me in on, ah, everything? Just the broad strokes, that is, I wouldn't want to impose on your time."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Sunny Day]

Dena kneels down a bit to get a better look. "Well, would you look at that. That's a princess alright. I'd recognize them anywhere." She claims as she strokes her chin. "I've actually seen a few princesses in my days. Isn't lady Cessie one of them? I know that she's noble at least."
    [Sunny Day]

"Whaaaaat?!" Laela looks wide eyed at Dena. She whips her head around to get confirmation from her mom.

"Well, kind of I guess. She's a noble lady, and her family is kinda like royalty I guess?" Sakura can't say she knows the details. It's a pretty foreign concept to her.

Laela's mind is blown. She can hardly believe it. Does that mean... "What about Cora?" Mommy said auntie Cessie's family is like royalty, right?

"Well I don't know. I think you should ask them." Sakura giggles.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2017-09-26 at 11:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

[Path up to the Keep]

Cessie raises an eyebrow in disbelief. "Are you quite alright, Nada's? Perhaps you should sit down." She gestures at one of the granite garden chairs which is suddenly pushed slowly towards him. "Sit down and explain, you're not sounding like yourself." She is sounding concerned now.

[Sunny Day]

"The way I understand it, noble-hood is inherit. So if you're a noble and your partner is, then your children are too." Dena attempts to explain. "Therefore, Cora is at the very least a noble."

13. - Top - End - #103

Default [Garden Granite Chairs]

"Please, I'm sure you have plenty to worry about on your own." Nadas replies. He takes a seat, only slightly raising his eyebrows at the self-moving chair. "However, I must admit that you are correct. I am not entirely alright."
    He's sure that sounded more Nadas-y than he usually does. Pretty sure.
    "My studies have not been without their risks, and thus, their consequences.."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-09-27 at 10:08 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #104

[Garden Granite Chairs]

"Can you explain to me what happened in detail? You must have regained some semblance of memory if you recall that and me." Cessie remarks, not entirely sure what to think.

15. - Top - End - #105

Nadas shakes his head nervously.
    "I'm afraid the only reason I 'recall' that much is that they were among the facts I had written down somewhere."
    "I wouldn't know whether you know anything about memory, or even the kind of magic I do, but you can tell me about my-self...correct?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"I can't believe it!" Laela never realized before! Being a noble is like being a princess! She goes to her mommy. "I gotta go see Cora!" She dances from foot to foot.

"Aren't you forgetting Dena?" There's a touch of warning in her voice. Laela needs to be more polite.

"Uh." Laela turns back to Dena. "Um, when can you start teaching me?"

17. - Top - End - #107

[Garden Granite Chairs]

"Perhaps you should start telling me what you do know. I'm afraid it was a while since we met so my memory is a bit vague, but maybe you might be able to jog it a bit? I mostly recall you practicing ritual magic." This was quite bothersome, how could she forget something like this?

[Sunny Day]

"What do you say about in exactly a week, around this time?" Dena suggests.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

"Okay!" Laela looks back at her mom.

Sakura gives her an expectant look. "Say tha-"

"Thank you Dena!" Laela beams up at Dena and then she runs off.

19. - Top - End - #109

Nadas nods nervously.
    "Err, right. So, yes, that's actually where I was when I came to, in a ritual circle. I had a spellbook with me, which was a great help, although sometimes since then bits of magic just seem to come to me. I guess I might be remembering them."
    "My name is 'Nadas Ghuand' of house 'Xabaresh Chaeron', uh that's what's on my library cards, anyway. My mother and step-mother are dead, but I have a father, Raril, who runs a bar down by the docks. Talking to him was a mistake, turns out."
    A pained look crosses Nadas's face, and he sets a hand on the blade of his sword, like it's a good luck charm. "I have a sister, Ilpholin, and a half-sister, Raven, and it seems like my family is hiding something..."

"I've written books and articles on the Weald, you know that primal forest realm. And I think, that when this accident occurred, I was studying how it can be connected to so many different places."

He looks to Cessie, eyes big and round.
    "Any of that help?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-10-02 at 09:50 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    There is certainly a wooden step-ladder nearby. It's set up on wheels. The Frescot boys fend off a couple more flying books as Reelshka goes to retrieve the parchment. They swat them away and laugh.

Once the map is had, it seems to indicate a random path winding through the halls of the Keep in a circle until they reach... Zillia's room! It seems the master thief thinks it's ingenius, judging by the word 'INGENUS' written next to the small marker-drawn box. Who would ever suspect their stolen jewels to be hidden in their own bedroom? No one, that's who.
    Tuskfang joins his friends in swatting at books, while Brinika hovers around and makes sure they don't make too much of a mess.

"Well, boys, seems we have a map," Reelshka says after climbing down from the ladder. "The thief has marked where he hid the stolen treasure. Are you ready?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #111

[Treasure Hunting]

Thankfully most of the books settle themselves on tables or shelves after being swatted once or twice, and Reelshka doesn't have to do too much work cleaning up.

"Ready!"
    "Where's it hidden?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

"That's what you need to find out," Reelshka says. She almost said it's Zillia's room, but the boys should find it on their own. "I can see the path that leads somewhere in the Keep. How about I tell you where it goes and you follow?"

"Woooow," Tuskfang says. "I never treasure hunted wit' a map before!"

"It seems we need to go... what way," Reelshka says, pointing towards the door out of the library. Tuskfang eagerly toddles off in that direction.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

23. - Top - End - #113

[Garden Granite Chairs]

"I do recall this, we were talking a great deal about the Weald. Even planning an expedition there at one point, it never took place though." Cessie admits, looking down on the ground in contemplation. "You also asked me about how eldritch functioned earlier, and I do recall you performing several rituals. I believe you prepare spells only to cast them later, some requiring a number of physical components. There must be spellbooks you've written down whatever spell you're looking for." She looks up. "Surely, you must have found some of your spellbooks? I could attempt to help you localize them otherwise."

[Sunny Day]

"You're welcome, Laela." Dena smiles at the toddler before she runs off. "Kid's gonna go far." She observes once she's gone. "But she needs to temper all that energy into something constructive. Once she does that, nothing is going to stand in her way."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-10-03 at 07:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

"It seems like there was definitely an expedition, or I once thought there was. Would you care to explain eldritch again?"
    Nadas reaches into his pocket and draws out a tiny folio of paper definitely not worthy of being called a spellbook.
    "Quite right. It worked by preparing them, you say. Like a...I don't know what it would be like. That hasn't been what it felt like before...is there some other reason I'm confused?" He might be sort of thinking aloud there.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sunny Day]

Sakura laughs. "Oh believe me, I know. When she latches onto something, there's no stopping her."

26. - Top - End - #116

[Sunny Day]

"I'll keep that in mind at our next encounter." Dena smiles. "Just make sure to give Adir that horn now, maybe I'll see him next time I'm here. But warn him, don't think he'll like me being around Laela for no good reason."

[Garden Granite Chairs]

"I don't know, Nada's. I suddenly wish I had more insight in your research so i could help you more. I don't think going into eldritch would help all that much either, but I think I know a person who could possibly help you recover your lost memories, or at least find where you left your spellbooks." The sorceress suggests.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Treasure Hunting]

"That's what you need to find out," Reelshka says. She almost said it's Zillia's room, but the boys should find it on their own. "I can see the path that leads somewhere in the Keep. How about I tell you where it goes and you follow?"

"Woooow," Tuskfang says. "I never treasure hunted wit' a map before!"

"It seems we need to go... what way," Reelshka says, pointing towards the door out of the library. Tuskfang eagerly toddles off in that direction.

"Thanks Reelshka!"
    Squeaks Gwydion.

"H'okay!"
    Cernunnos agrees.

They go chasing after their friend. "Reelshka, which way, which way?" Cern asks, once they're in the hall. "We should race!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #118

"That's more than I would hope for, actually. Who is it?" Nadas inquires. Hopefully someone he hasn't heard of, hasn't already ruled out.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

[Treasure Hunting]

Reelshka consults the map and points the kids in the right direction.

"Treasure hunting has to be slow and careful, Cern," she says. "Otherwise you can miss important clues."

"This house is so biiiiiig," Tuskfang meanwhile says. "Is like grandma and grandpa's house."

30. - Top - End - #120

[Garden Granite Chairs]

"Her name is Ambrosia Ithil, and she is a scholar of sort, thought she is also able to manipulate aether, which is important in this case. She could potentially help you bring back your memories, or at the very least help jog the memories. She is quite skillful with her craft." Even though she seemed to hide it for whatever reason. "The problem is reaching her, she comes and goes, but I might be able to give her a message to meet with you."