Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Investigators needed

We currently need one more person, to play the investigator. We have another thread for that.

To the United Private Contractor's Association:

I am writing to request your discreet assistance on an urgent matter. While I wish to remain anonymous in this letter, I am the proud importer of exotic sahuagin and lizardfolk goods from the far south, and recently all communication and shipments from a sahuagin island nation have stopped and one of my vessels has not returned. While these sahuagin are savages, to be sure, they were an important trade partner, very dilligent and reliable, and the herbs on their island sold for exhorbitant prices to the church. I fear the worst, as I cannot see them ceasing trade without bartering with me first. I require an investigator to travel to the southern isles on one of my ships and ascertain the truth and, if it is within their power, bring whoever is responsible to justice. I am willing to hire an investigator and up to three personal guards for them, the exact details are negotiable. Please give your reply to the courier bearing this message, and if you agree he will inform you of where to send a negotiator to meet me. Afterwards, I will want to meet the assembled team in person.

Spoiler: OoC stuff
    Show

This is a campaign in a modified version of 3.5. Right now, only core, spell compendium, oriental adventures and the complete series are allowed as that is all I possess and have prepared for. Also, OA would be quite exotic in this region, which is the United Nations of Marakiz mentioned in the link below. I'm looking for 2-4 players, including at least one to act as an investigator and at least one to act as a guard. Starting level is 5. The investigator will require the skills to actually investigate things.

Rule changes for the setting are here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...nges-in-Aelsif

Setting information is here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...iz-information
    Last edited by Avianmosquito; 2017-08-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: There's a new thread.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Investigators needed

Hmmm....i realy like the rifle thingie...i got a preety cool idea. Will try tp get into the invastigator although i can work on a body guard. Here its is-
    Spoiler: background-dm only
    Show

Not sure what race, but he will probably be a rouge. He is a criminial who joined the mission only to escape the law, and now he needs to figure out how to use his skills to actually, ynow, incastigate something. He got the skills, but not the experience in this kind of job. I have anither half baked idea,but it will come later.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Halfelf ninja View Post
    Hmmm....i realy like the rifle thingie...i got a preety cool idea. Will try tp get into the invastigator although i can work on a body guard. Here its is-
    Spoiler: background-dm only
    Show

Not sure what race, but he will probably be a rouge. He is a criminial who joined the mission only to escape the law, and now he needs to figure out how to use his skills to actually, ynow, incastigate something. He got the skills, but not the experience in this kind of job. I have anither half baked idea,but it will come later.

Frankly, on this one... He's a mercenary, so his criminal background is about as much of a non-issue as non-issues get as long as he's a criminal from outside the local jurisdiction. Holy Empire? Elven territories? Who cares, just not from anywhere in the United Nations of Marakiz. A lot of the skills useful for a criminal (gather information, bluff, diplomacy) are all useful for an investigator as well. I do like this idea, and it'll serve the blueblood right for ordering an investigator from a mercenary company.

Oh, right, in-character... You're hired.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm interested in an investigatory role. Point buy? HP?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-08-02 at 07:04 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #5

Griffon

Thank you...ill be a rouge, maeby prestige, non fighting related, probably preety old. This is a backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    daeolyt was born in the streets, and as such, from childhood his fate was decided-he becane a criminal, and soon it was clear he would be the best in this part of the city. He became more and more powerful, and he even married, and his wife gave birth to a girl, who he named taylina, until one day the police got him, and made him spoil all yhe details about his mafia in exchange of his child's life. He agreed, and after 10 years in prison (instead of execution), he was a free man. He discovered that his wife died, and that his daughter is now a sucssesful merchant, who refused to talk to him and blamed him in her mother's death. He did nkt argue, and found a job as a simple worker in the mercanery company/as a simple mercanery/whatever. Now, when the request for investugator came, he was about to refuse until he understood that his daughter was on this ship, and decided to discover what happend to her. What do you say?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Would a Warlock be appropriate? Probably gonna go Nezumi, to boot.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

If the investigator will be taken i can also be a bodyguard. Basically a thug from the streets whose brother was kn the shio, and their mom, who think of him as a failure, sent him to find him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    I'm interested in an investigatory role. Point buy? HP?
    4d6b3, HD are averaged, first maxed. Standard PC stuff, really. Starting money TBD depending on how many people we get. You're supposed to be professionals and you're starting at 5th level, so... 1000£? More if we end up getting only two people.

Thank you...ill be a rouge, maeby prestige, non fighting related, probably preety old. This is a backstory
    If the investigator will be taken i can also be a bodyguard. Basically a thug from the streets whose brother was kn the shio, and their mom, who think of him as a failure, sent him to find him.
    That works. What race did you want him to be, exactly? That would impact his backstory pretty heavily, multiculturalism isn't really a thing in this setting. (Then again, it IS heavily influenced by the 19th century, so maybe they'll get there someday.)

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Would a Warlock be appropriate? Probably gonna go Nezumi, to boot.
    Well, they are from the Complete series, so I believe so. Do recall that there are no other planes in this setting, though.

9. - Top - End - #9

Regarding starting gold, how do you feel about WBL?

Do you want us to show you just character ideas/ concepts, or finished sheets?
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Regarding starting gold, how do you feel about WBL?
    I don't ever use WBL. Social class and standing should define your money, not your level. That's why I considered your characters' positions and decided on 1000£.

Do you want us to show you just character ideas/ concepts, or finished sheets?
    We'll need finished sheets to play, but if you want to start with character ideas and concepts, I can help you turn those into finished sheets.

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Hm. Can't run a caster on that, but most warrior classes would be pretty happy with those results.

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[16]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Ouch, got a couple of bad ones in there. Still, a 16 for your best stat isn't bad. What are you going to run?

15. - Top - End - #15

That is a great question. I will think on it. Probably someone with a very, very low charisma, or very, very low strength.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-07-31 at 07:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

That is a great question. I will think on it. Probably someone with a very, very low charisma, or very, very low strength.
    Of the two, I'd recommend the low strength. You said you wanted to be the investigator, and charisma would be important to that role.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm thinking I can make a water halfling bard work. Sheet in progress.

18. - Top - End - #18

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Rolling dem bones!

Edit: Can I reroll? Because those are CRAP.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-07-31 at 09:19 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Rolling dem bones!

Edit: Can I reroll? Because those are CRAP.
    Once. And hope it isn't worse.

20. - Top - End - #20

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[8]

Loud and clear.

Well, hope y'all have a good game, because the dice have decreed I don't get to play. :P
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-07-31 at 09:22 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Loud and clear.

Well, hope y'all have a good game, because the dice have decreed I don't get to play. :P
    Yeah, you can run characters with pretty low stats, but I'd have to check to see if a warlock could function like that.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    Yeah, you can run characters with pretty low stats, but I'd have to check to see if a warlock could function like that.
    Well, it technically can. I target Touch AC with my main attack, for instance.

I just don't WANT to play a character that below-average. (Okay, technically average. Total modifier is 0.) I'm fine with having a low stat or even two, but that'll hurt me bad no matter what.

I could go 8 13 12 for physical stats, since I need Dex and Con, but not Str. But then I get two mental penalties...

Just... Eurgh, not fun.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Well, it technically can. I target Touch AC with my main attack, for instance.

I just don't WANT to play a character that below-average. (Okay, technically average. Total modifier is 0.) I'm fine with having a low stat or even two, but that'll hurt me bad no matter what.

I could go 8 13 12 for physical stats, since I need Dex and Con, but not Str. But then I get two mental penalties...

Just... Eurgh, not fun.
    The funny part is, the first set of rolls was about as good as what the others are using.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    The funny part is, the first set of rolls was about as good as what the others are using.
    Yeah. The first set was actually not THAT bad, compared to the second.

Like, I can live with a 5 Wisdom, or Strength. I'll make stupid decisions/be weak as a feather, but hey.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Yeah. The first set was actually not THAT bad, compared to the second.

Like, I can live with a 5 Wisdom, or Strength. I'll make stupid decisions/be weak as a feather, but hey.
    Just use the first rolls, then.

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

Show
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]

Race dose not matter.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Race dose not matter.
    I'm pretty sure it does. Halflings, for example, are usually slaves in the UNM. Also, modifiers and racial abilities exist.

28. - Top - End - #28

Character. Backstory incoming soon.

Spoiler: Scar'Ten'Lin
    Show
    Scar'Ten'Lin (or Scar, to her friends) was born under an ill omen. From birth, she exhibited odd traits. Climbing on walls like they were solid ground, levitating small objects, crackles of fell power between her fingers... Despite all that, she was a likable young lady. She was always friendly and helpful, ever quick to give a helping hand, and soon her home dismissed her oddities as nothing important. She did work on harnessing them, however, with the help of their local mage, Zor'Lir'Trip. An old man, he did what he could to help Scar focus her energies and control them, both so she can use them when needed and contain them when not.

When Scar turned 18, she ventured out to Marakiz. She was an odd sight there, but her friendly nature (and lack of any obvious eldritch powers) let her be welcomed, to a degree. She worked various odd jobs, never really using her powers, until there was a goblin raid in the little village she was in. She knew that revealing her powers would be a bad idea, but also knew that the other choice was letting innocent people die. So, she did the right thing, and did her utmost to fight off the goblins.

Afterwards, the people were stunned and shocked at her displays of magic power. They didn't know how to feel-she had fought alongside them, helped save their children, but at the same time...

So, they asked her politely, but firmly, to leave. She said her goodbyes with a tear in her eye, and left.

It was then that the United Private Contractor's Association picked her up. They were less discriminatory about magical power, and could use someone with her talents. So, she's been working with them for the past few years.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-08-02 at 12:13 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Character. Backstory incoming soon.
    Alright, there's one.

I do have a question, though. Where in Marakiz did she settle, exactly? Because goblin raids could only happen in the grasslands, south of the Holy Empire. The goblins down there have been invaded, and all they can do is futilely defend their territory against vastly superior military powers.

It's not a problem, though. I do see how an outsider like Scar might not understand the politics. It's not like they hand out pamphlets at their settlement entrances titled "Genocide and you: How our settlers are complicit in the slaughter of the local population.". That would be rather bad PR, and the settlers do think the land rightly belongs to them, even if its previous inhabitants were murdered for it.

30. - Top - End - #30

South works for me. I can edit the backstory if needed-just wanted to get across what she's like.

Show
    Show

Show