New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC [1] For Honor! For Glory! For Grimgorge!

Hedwig Gotlinde
    Level 5 Cleric (Herald Caller)
    HP: 50/50 | AC: 18 | Attack Bonus: +3 | Status: --

As Natalie revealed that she could not change her height, Hedwig's face fell slightly.

"Well, we'll have to rely on the first idea then - getting the information from one of the soldiers who brought us here. And... I do not object to Hedwig, but 'Hed' is a bit much."

"As far as your question goes, as far as I know, if one is mind-controlled, Almahara does not hold your transgressions against you.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-18 at 04:02 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

"I volunteer for any task that involves alcohol," Saskia said, sounding rather enthusiastic. "You might say it's a specialty of mine! Not that I drink beyond my ability to function," she added. "Usually."

"Just don't ask me to lie; I'm terrible at that. But I can probably drink any soldier under the table, and get him talking before that." She flashed a grin at the paladin. "And I'd bet I have lower inhibitions than that one."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: IC [1] For Honor! For Glory! For Grimgorge!

Koval

Though he could not help but chuckle at Saskia's enthusiasm, Koval raised a hand to get the group's attention.

"I mean no offense, Hedwig, but I fear your good intentions are clouding your judgement. Consider that the Count Hammerlord is our accuser, and perhaps more than that the one who arranged our execution. While I have no doubt word will eventually reach him of our improbable deliverance, it would be a poor choice to deliver ourselves up to him or his men."

Lowering his hand, Koval took a slow drink before continuing.

"However, the Count and his men are not the only ones who know where we were found. It was, after all, Starg's prison wagon that transported us here. It is entirely possible some of the locals could enlighten us. And we have the benefit that one of us..."

He leveled a finger at Lukas.

"Is a hero. Bring the guards at the dungeon a suitable peace offering, bury whatever animosity may yet fester, and they may well be willing to help in our Reinkappi's noble quest. A cask of beer, I'm sure, would not go unappreciated by soldiers so recently tested."

Leaning back in his chair, he took another drink and turned to Saskia.

"While I do not doubt your ability, Saskia, it seems you bear the greatest suspicion of all of us. No doubt an unjust reflection on the circumstances of your birth. I would not recommend meeting the guards in even a friendly contest, at least until tempers have cooled."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Lukas

Lukas stopped short at Natalie's question, but after a moment of consideration, shook his head."Even then, my lady would make her displeasure known somehow." And I already owe her so much...

Lukas fell into abstraction again, until Saskia challenged his ability to cut loose. "Oh, really? Would you like to put that to the test, Saskia?" he asked with a slight smirk. It had been awhile since he had a good drinking buddy-

But there wasn't time for that. Koval reminded him. And with that also came a reminder of the injustice involved with this whole situation. But if they wanted to call him a hero, and that would help them gather information, then his path was clear. "I suppose I could do that. First we would need to obtain the cask. And we are in a tavern... "
    Last edited by Estralita; 2017-08-18 at 01:10 AM.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "No... No, I must disagree with you there, Kas. It could not possibly be taken as anything other than proof. To consort with devils and demons is to lose our powers, both for Reinarra and Almahara. They are evil, anathema to the goddesses. As for half of you being guilty of just existing..."

"Not by the time we're through. We will prove our innnocence. For all of us."
    "Maybe proof to you and me, sister, but we still landed on the chopping block. Proof that doesn't convince your judge is as useful as horse manure on a shag carpet. As for proving our innocence... you're optimistic. Commendable." The half-orc nods. "And pointless," she adds under her breath.

She scratches her cheek. "I like the plan. Let our hero loosen up some tongues. Maybe let the sister join to have an extra pair of eyes. Could be useful."

"Also, if it involves alcohol I'm not involving myself."
    Kas shakes her head. "That'll only end in tears and/or fractures."
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2017-08-18 at 03:37 PM.
    Characters in play:

6. - Top - End - #96

Hedwig Gotlinde

When Koval outlined his own variant on the plan, Hedwig listened intently.

"No offense taken, Koval. I would never claim to have all the answers." She straightened up. "I am willing to put my confidence behind your plan. Although..." She turned to Saskia and Lukas. "If the two of you are going to have a drinking contest, I will ask that you hold off until all this is done. We will need our wits to be sharp, and..." Hedwig smiled, almost to the point of a grin. "I will want to join in as well. I wonder if this inn stocks any of the convent's products?.."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local or Religion) 10
    Show
    Upon brief reflection, you realize that in the vicinity of Starg, there is only one particular monastery known for brewing beer - The Convent of the Sun's Open Palm, located just outside the town of Hopsfield, just under a day's journey to the northeast. Hopsfield, and the convent along with it, is actually somewhat famous in Moondale for the cheese and beer they produce (the town, tellingly, was named after the vast fields of hops that they use to flavor their beer).

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) 15
    Show
    While the local farmers in Hopsfield are responsible for raising the cattle, barley, and hops used in their production, the Open Palm (as the convent is often abbreviated)
    is responsible for every other stage of production of their famous cheeses and beer. The Open Palm creates four kinds of beer and three kinds of cheese.

Spoiler: Beer
    Show
    Open Palm Morning Dew - A very hop-forward pale ale with a flavor reminiscent of pears, as well as a mild lemon and flowery finish. Brewed with the local Golddust hops, and the most popular beer within Hopsfield.

Open Palm Summer's Evening - A cloudy amber ale with a more moderate hop flavor. Malty and toffee-like, with a light spicy orange flavor from the Twilight hop varietal.

Open Palm Clear Moon - A porter, also flavored with Twilight hops, that presents with a roasted, breadlike flavor, with a highly bitter and spicy finish.

Open Palm Queenstout - The convent's darkest beer, and also their most recent, an imperial stout with a very deep, rich, chocolate flavor with a resiny finish that comes from a high amount of Golddust. Known to be so thick you can almost chew it.

Spoiler: Cheese
    Show
    Fogsnow - a soft, brie-like cheese, with a very mild flavor.

Hopscheddar - As indicated by the name, a cheddar variant flavored with local Golddust hops, which adds a bitter and slightly floral note to the nutty flavor of the cheese. The most popular cheese within Hopsfield.

Sunsrock - A grainy and very hard cheese reminiscent of gruyere, with earthy and fruity overtones.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-18 at 06:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

"Any time, mister!" All things considered, Saskia didn't mind the paladin and cleric who had been foisted upon her. Servants of Reinarra tended to know how to enjoy a party, and while she had qualms with Almaharra, a sister who worked at a convent known for its liquor couldn't be all bad. She made a sour expression and quickly drained half her mug. "Koval's right, however much I regret it. These soldier-boys are probably watching yours truly like a hawk, expecting someone with devil horns and a tail to pop up and breathe fire out my...well, to murder everyone in sight. Well, I've got the first two, and I don't want to give them any more cause to lock me up, no matter how fun a tumble with them might be. Lukas is the best one for the job here." Saskia shrugged, appearing slightly envious. "Slap enough gold down in front of the tavernkeeper and you'll probably have as much beer as you can carry. I've got -" Saskia fished out her rather empty-looking moneypouch and upended it on the table. She quickly counted out the coins and frowned. "Eight gold and two silver pieces. Time to take another mercenary contract. Or beat up a bandit for his brothel money."

8. - Top - End - #98

frown Re: IC [1] For Honor! For Glory! For Grimgorge!

Hedwig Gotlinde

Hedwig opened her own purse, counting out her money.

"I have 25 crowns, myself. If we pool all our resources we might be able to buy a keg."
    She turned to Kas. "And as long as Saskia's mentioned it tangentially, I also think Lukas might be best served going in alone. Since he has the reputation of a hero the rest of us lack, he is the least likely to draw negative attention. While I don't mind going in, myself, my convent's had a few... issues with the Imperial Church in the past. These may be mere local soldiers, rather than the count's men, but that distrust might still carry over."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-18 at 08:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

When talk turned to how they would afford a keg of beer, Koval stood without a word. Brushing a loose strand of hair from his face, he approached the bar and leaned against it, flashing a too-white smile at the man who had invited them in.

"My good barkeep, how much for a keg of your most popular beer?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-08-18 at 09:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep looks behind him at two kegs and scratches his head, "I don't have just one favorite type. I have two - Open Palm Morning Dew and the Numb Lion. The Morning Dew is a hop flavored pale with a hint of pear, while the Numb Lion is a dark beer with a plumb smell and a pine taste. I often run out of both, especially around holidays.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-08-19 at 12:45 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Koval drummed his fingers once across the bar, apparently deliberating which of the two to purchase. A snap of his fingers signaled the end to his indecision.

"Well, I should hard want to sample one without the other then. How much for both?"

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep ponders for a moment, taking time to look Koval up and down. The then looks at the kegs and then back at Koval, "Well..." he equivocates, "... Thirty Silver for the Open Palm Morning Dew and forty silver for the Numb Lion." He nods several times, as if to reassure himself that his proposal was a fair deal.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Reaching into his purse, Koval counted out nine golden crowns and slapped them on the counter.

"Then I shall have both, good sir. And drinks all around. Today is a holiday, after all."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

14. - Top - End - #104

Hedwig Gotlinde

Watching as Koval went and asked the bartender regarding prices and availability, Hedwig could not help but grin a little in pride as he mentioned that they did, in fact, stock Morning Dew. Although she was too slow to sidle up and shamelessly suggest they go for just her convent's pride and joy, Hedwig did call out as Koval ordered both kegs of ale and a round of drinks.sd

"Pint of the Morning Dew for me, please!"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-19 at 09:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep gleefully pours a pint for Hedwig and a triple pint for Koval, then small mugs for everyone else.
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #106

Hedwig Gotlinde

Slinking up to the bar, Hedwig carefully took the tankard from the barkeep, a large smile still on her face.

"Thank you!"

Returning to the table, she took a long, deep drink, then relaxed into her chair with a smack of her lips and a contented sigh.

"Aaah... Just what I needed after everything." When Koval returned, she sat up a little straighter. "So, the most important question - should we see if we can take the soldiers back here to the kegs, or bring the kegs to them?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-20 at 09:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

The half-orc grumbles as she makes her way to the bar. "Alright alright. Give me one of the dew, and no more."

Once she has her mug and gets back to the table she looks at the others. "Okay, so one drink,
    then we put our plan into action. Then we use the rest of the day to gather as much information as we can. Find out where we were found, and if there's any sightings of said devil. Anything else useful we can come up with."

"And then we leave first thing in the morning to find the scene of the crime."
    She takes a sip from her mug.
    Characters in play:

18. - Top - End - #108

Hedwig Gotlinde

Watching as Kas took her drink only reluctantly, Hedwig finally took heed of what the half-orc had said earlier.

Something about fractures and not ending well... has she had a drinking problem in the past, maybe?

She lightly shook her head.

Something to ask later.

"That seems to be about the gist of it, if everything goes well."
    She then knocked three times on the wooden table and finished the rest of her tankard.

"And now, we just have to find some of the men who brought us here."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Once everyone has finished their drinks, Hedwig will join Lukas in attempting to find a contingent of the soldiers who were driving the paddy wagon and/or listening out for any rumors/information regarding the devil and where the party was driven in from.

Diplomacy (Gather Information): (1d20+10)[22]. Per the rules, this process takes about (1d4)[4] hours.

To clarify, Hedwig will not be engaging the soldiers - she just wants to locate them. As per the plan, it will be Lukas who does the work of 'lubing them up', so to speak.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-08-21 at 08:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Hedwig
    Show
    Hedwig spends the next four hours scouring the town for Count Hammerlord's men but does not seem to find anyone who had seen where they went, which makes sense given the large influx of people who flooded into town to watch the executions and celebrate one of the holiest days of Autumn. Eventually, Hedwig hears a rumor that one of the men has not left town and is in fact located in a seedy dive bar called the Hissing Vagabond. The pub is located in the poorer section of town, where the Vala dwarves live.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #110

Hedwig Gotlinde

Upon finally obtaining the information, Hedwig returned to the tavern to share it with the group, still slightly out of breath.
    "So, it took an aeon of searching, but I managed to locate one of Hammerlord's men who hasn't left town yet. Apparently he's at a bar called the Hissing Vagabond, in the Vala Dwarf neighborhood. Sir Lukas, I believe it is now time for you to enact your part of the plan."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Given a second target thanks to Sister Hedwig's inquiries, the party had settled on a two-pronged approach to finding the information they sought. While the kegs of beer were left in the charge of Lukas, Hedwig, and Natalie for transit to the prison and its thirsty guards, Koval, Kas, and Saskia set out for the Hissing Vagabond and Hammerlord's errant man. In the intervening hours, Koval had donned his armor, covering black leathers with a midnight blue gambeson and short hauberk of black chain before strapping the strangely fluted plates of his armor into place. His helm fastened securely atop his head, Koval was transformed from a pale figure to one of inky darkness. As they passed from the celebratory main streets into the side alleys of the Vala neighborhood, his voice resonated out from the metal shell.

"When we find this man, let me try to appeal to his better nature first. Perhaps we'll finally have some luck, and he'll prove amenable to helping us. If he does not, however, we may have to pressure him more directly."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #112

Hedwig Gotlinde

Grateful that her initial misunderstanding of Koval's plan had still borne fruit, Hedwig bid Koval, Kas, and Saskia good luck as they departed for the Hissing Vagabond, then started helping Lukas and Natalie to roll the kegs toward the prison.

"We will step in if necessary, and help to create the atmosphere of merrymaking, but as discussed previously, you should take the lead in all the talking, Sir Lukas. They will warm up more naturally to someone the princess has deemed a hero and officially pardoned."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

***While waiting for Hedwig***

Waiting for the nun to return with information on where to go, Kas finishes her meal and makes her way over to the gnome reading a scroll in the corner. She looks at him. "'xcuse me. I couldn't help but notice the scroll. Do you happen to know if there's a place where one could buy magical scrolls nearby? Maybe potions as well."

Once she finishes her conversation with the gnome she steps up to yet another gnome, this time the one in he own party. She leans close to the gnome and whispers. "So. Natalie, right? You said your specialty is deception? We've seen some of that, but that's made me curious. What else can you do with your spells?"

***On the way to interrogating Hammerlord's crony***

Kas nods at Koval's suggestion. "Sure, why not? Why start a bar brawl when you can avoid it,
    right? Wouldn't want to draw undue attention to ourselves. Still, I wouldn't mind beating the information out of him."
    Characters in play:

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Lukas

Seeing Hedwig's arrival, Lukas excused himself from the conversation. Showtime.

Of course, first they needed to get there. Plenty of time for Lukas to worry about his place in this plan. The others seemed to be expecting him to be able to charm his way through coaxing out the information they needed. But Lukas wasn't feeling especially charming, or clever right now. And if I screw this up, it's the others who suffer.

But he was a follower of Reinarra, and he was not going to back down from a challenge. Especially one that involved drinking and parties.

By the time he arrived, Lukas had managed to calm himself down. Just before he reached the first guard, he quietly recited a prayer to Reinarra, asking for luck in his dealings. He had the feeling he was going to need it.

Show
    Lukas attempts to cast Tap Inner Beauty just out of line of sight of the guards. Short dration,
    but it doesn't look like Lukas is going to need those spell slots tonight.

Once this was done, Lukas stepped forwards with a smile. " Greetings, everyone. I hope we're not intruding." he called out, while showing the kegs they brought along.

Show
    Diplomacy:
    (d20+13)[24]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

With Koval and Kas

Snorting with amusement, Saskia gave Koval a look. "Some men don't have better natures. I know. But you're welcome to try." She grinned, showing her sharp teeth. "If that doesn't work, we can try things the fun way. I'm pretty good at that sort of persuasion."

26. - Top - End - #116

Hedwig Gotlinde

After a little while rolling the kegs around town, Hedwig, alongside Lukas and Natalie, discovered that there was a slight flaw in the plan that had originally been developed.

Namely, the dungeon where they had been kept was inside Starg's keep, past several dozen guards.

Luckily, after some searching, they were able to find out the name of a pub where a lot of the guards hung out when they were not working - a little joint called The Purple Crab. Once they had arrived, Hedwig, panting somewhat from the exertion, turned to Lukas and Natalie.

"I doubt the proprieter will take kindly to us cutting in on his liquor, so one of us should wait out here with the kegs. If you would be so kind, Natalie?"

She then turned to Lukas.

"I will come in, but I will rest near the door for a bit and allow you to do your thing. If you need some backup, just wave me over."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Kas
    Show
    The gnome looks up, clearly quite stunned that a half-orc would approach and not be, well, rude. "W-w-w-well... You would need to go to the Naga's Quill, over in the better part of town. Only magic shop in town. The proprietress is quite... Pleasant... I suppose..."

Spoiler: The Purple Crab
    Show

One half of the party finds themselves in a warehouse district in the middle of the city, surrounded by rutted streets and anonymous buildings. The street outside is strewn with debris from a broken crate. An occasional drunken reveler walks by, their faces smeared with orange paint. The Purple Crab is a well known pub for the guards of Starg. It is out of the way but still centrally located, perfect for their needs. The inn is a large single story timber framed building, with a heather-thatched roof and dwarf-wrought iron tables and chairs. A gnomish bard sits on the stage strumming a lyre and sining The Princesses Come West, one of the most popular poem-songs in Grimgorge which speaks of the Princesses' bravery during the Gloom and how they defended the people of Grimgorge from the Orcs.

The pub is quite full today. About half the people inside wear the Starg's tabards. They are drinking from pewter steins. By the smell of it, they are drinking Numb Lion. No one notices the party entering, save one particularly tall human woman, with long blond hair, pulled back into a tight pony tail. She does nothing but scowl at the party members who enter the pub.

Spoiler: Hissing Vagabond
    Show
    The Other half of the party venturers to the Hissing Vagabond over in Dwarf Town. It is the poorest section of the city, located on the far eastern bank of the River Princess. This section of town is mostly peopled by the poor, the Vala Dwarves and the transient Undine. The area is also home to leather tanners, which gives the whole area pungent stench. The Hissing Vagabond is in a slum ward, near the ruins of an old bridge. The street outside is oddly empty and silent, which fills you with a sense of dark foreboding. The inn is a single story wooden building, with a small, poorly maintained hedged yard. The tavern has a makeshift assortment of ramshackle tables and chairs, which rest upon a dirt floor covered in straw. Fifteen people are drinking inside, about half are Vala Dwarves. The majority are drunk and nearly passed out. A man in the corner smokes on a pipe, his eyes glossing over with each puff. The barkeep is a thick-set, bald, Vala Dwarf. He leers at the party as they enter the establishment.
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Once the initial wave of desperation and drunkenness had passed, Koval moved towards the leering bartender. Reaching into his purse, he placed a single gold coin down in front of the man.

"Hammerlord's man."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

The Dwarven barkeep forcefully pushes the coin off the side of the bar. The coin lands on the floor with a thud. "Ain't no one here like that. This here's a place for poor folk. For Vala."
    DMing:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

The tiefling stood near the doorway as Koval pushed forward, leading the trio for the moment. She leaned against the dirty wall and swished her tail idly as the man made his play...and failed. Clenching her fists and cracking both sets of knuckles, she swaggered up to the bar as Koval wordlessly made way for her. She scooped the coin up off the ground with her tail and dropped it into her hand, staring at it for a moment. Then she brushed it off before delicately placing it back upon the bar. "That," she said, "was not polite." Saskia leaned in closer to the barkeep and gave him her biggest smile, pointed teeth bared and gleaming. There was no mirth in the expression: only a savage grin in the way a predator might smile upon her prey. "We're looking for one of Hammerlord's men. I suggest you try again, more cooperatively this time."

Show
    Intimidate! (1d20+10)[19]