New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC [1] For Honor! For Glory! For Grimgorge!

The party returns to the Bloody Dagger. Upon entry, Nirecht Farmerso - the Barkeep - smiles warmly at each party member, "Hey, how are you? Back already?" Without asking, he happily pours a pitcher of Open Palm Morning Dew and sets it on a table, along with six steins.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-09-05 at 01:25 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

The welcome of Bloody Dagger's barkeep to the party came as a welcome counterpoint to Saskia's experience in the Hissing Vagabond, and she found herself returning the smile. "They were not very welcoming at the other place. Here is much nicer." She poured herself a drink from the pitcher. "And the fare is fairer as well! Koval got what we needed though, so that's good. He can tell you the particulars."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

As the three make their way back to the Bloody Dagger, Kas' face is set to thunder for the entire walk. "Bloody dwarf 's lucky the ale was as weaker than goblin piss. After a proper ale and that comment I would've torn him an extra orifice or three. I'm with you on all counts, Saskia. Next time we meet him I put him in a headlock, you tear off his beard and we make him swallow it hair by hair." Kas adjusts her spiked gauntlet. "I'm itching for a fight as well, but that's probably not in our best interest right now. Better just have another drink."

Her mood considerably lightens when a stein is placed in front of her with real ale. "You have no idea how happy I am to see a proper drink."
    Characters in play:

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hedwig Gotlinde
    Level 5 Cleric (Herald Caller)
    HP: 50/50 | AC: 18 | Attack Bonus: +3 | Status: --

*** Earlier, walking to the tavern... ***

As Hedwig awaited Natalie's response, a thought struck her.

"...this isn't because I refused to let you give me a nickname, is it?"

*** Meanwhile, back in the present... ***

Rubbing her hands with glee at the sight of Morning Dew, Hedwig poured herself a pitcher and took a long drink before turning to Koval, Kas, and Saskia, a look of slight concern on her face at the frustration the two women expressed. "You didn't run into too much trouble, did you guys? You're all still in one piece, at least."

"As for what we learned... it wasn't much, but apparently, a couple of the guards overheard Hammerlord's men when they came in. Claimed it was from Svelgild, of all places, which would fit with my memories of a forest. Thankfully, none of them recognized us, so we were able to leave without much fuss."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Natalie

As she keeps looking down, trying to think about an answer, Hedwig's remembers the nickname thing. Natalie looks at her, with a little confused expression, and laughs. Albeit a sincere laugh, it was still riddled with sadness. "No, that's not it. It's just... I don't know, in these situations I thought I could be more useful. But I was completely ignored. I guess... Maybe next time I should just hide, waiting for my opportunity to use magic?" She goes back to looking down before continuing, almost as if whispering. "Maybe that's all I'm good for after all, huh?"

As they arrive, Natalie looks for Kas. She approaches her, slowly, and makes a signal for her to come closer. She whispers. "I'll tell you more about my abilities when we have some proper time, ok?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Lukas

Outside the tavern

Lukas awkwardly rubbed the back of his head. "I know what you mean. Everyone seemed to expect me to be able to use the whole "hero" thing to get info, but I kinda froze back there. I guess I'm not used to starting up conversations with strangers. But it all worked out thanks to Hedwig, so...
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #157

Hedwig Gotlinde

As Lukas and Natalie expressed their regrets that they had not been more involved, Hedwig rapidly shook her head.

"The two of you musn't degrade yourselves in such a manner. It's not easy to strike up conversation if you're being ignored, and small talk is not a skill easily learned. Given the whims of fate, I am certain that you will have other opportunities to prove yourselves. Take heart in that."

She then turned to Natalie.

"And, incidentally, after giving it some thought... I've decided that I'm fine if you refer to me as 'Hed'."
    The nun smiled lightly. "Just, er, try not to do so in front of my other sisters. Dignity of the habit and all that."

8. - Top - End - #158

Flumph

Natalie

Natalie, still looking down, hears Lukas talking about his thoughts on the matter. She feels comfort knowing that someone else has the same kind of problems as she has. Hedwig then starts talking...

"The two of you musn't degrade yourselves in such a manner. It's not easy to strike up conversation if you're being ignored, and small talk is not a skill easily learned. Given the whims of fate, I am certain that you will have other opportunities to prove yourselves. Take heart in that."

Natalie nods, and looks at Hedwig again. "I will." The nun then proceeds.

"And, incidentally, after giving it some thought... I've decided that I'm fine if you refer to me as 'Hed'." The nun smiled lightly. "Just, er, try not to do so in front of my other sisters. Dignity of the habit and all that."

Natalie, with a mix of surprise and happiness, gives Hedwig a big smile. "Thanks, Hed!" she says, as she starts skipping and smiling.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

Quote Originally Posted by Taya View Post

As they arrive, Natalie looks for Kas. She approaches her, slowly, and makes a signal for her to come closer. She whispers. "I'll tell you more about my abilities when we have some proper time, ok?"
    The orc takes a swig of her drink, then nods. "Great. It'll be useful to know just what everyone in this group is capable of."

After finishing her drink, she looks around at the others. "So, we have a general idea of where to go. When do we leave, and how do we travel?"
    Characters in play:

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

On their return to the Bloody Dagger, Koval refused further drink. Instead, he pulled his helmet off and set to returning his hair to some measure of order. By the time the others returned, he seemed once again a picture of alien nobility. Listening to Hedwig's accounting of their mission, he nodded.

"We heard a similar story from the mouth of one of Hammerlord's loutish servitors. The man's taste for soldiers seems equal to his dedication for justice. Svelgild is not too far, and I've nothing more to attend to here. Unless one of you has unfinished business, I think we should set off as soon as possible."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

11. - Top - End - #161

Hedwig Gotlinde
    "Agreed. The longer we wait, the colder the trail goes."

Taking her flagon, Hedwig promptly chugged the rest of the beer, then smacked her lips in satisfaction.

"No point wasting good drink before we leave."

Standing up, she waltzed over to the bartender.

"My companions and I thank you for the room and beer, good sir, but unfortunately we must depart. Would you happen to know of anyplace where we can procure some good horses?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And, on a side note, Fel, how large are the kegs of beer we brought? I'd like to take them with us, but if they're too large, we may not be able to get a horse heavy enough to carry them effectively.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-09 at 12:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

"All right, let's go now!" Saskia suggested, pushing herself away from the table and standing up. "I've had enough of this place - aside from this nice tavern, of course - and I'm ready to hit the road."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

The party bids farewell to the barkeep at the Bloody Dagger and heads off to the stables outside the better part of town. The stables are quite full, which is to be expected this time of year. Many field hands walk the horses around several different yards. The horses look to have come from all walks of life, from lordly trotters to work horses conscripted to help drag goods to the city. As you walk up to the stable house - which is a state looking building with alabaster white walls and deep, cocoa brown beams - you are greeted by a pleasant chap. He wears a trendy green tunic that has clearly become a bit threadbare. His runs his fingers through his mildly sweaty, red hair and holds up a hand, "Hail and welcome. Here to pick your horses up or are you looking to buy some?"

As you speak with the stable master, a knight clad in chain mail trots up. He comes to a halt about twenty feet away. His royal blue tunic is emblazoned with a white unicorn, the symbol of House Windlord (of Windshire). The knight hops off his mount and walks up. He is a human, male, roughly twenty years old. He has flowing blonde hair and steel blue eyes. "Greetings, sirs and ladies, I am Croftborg Windlord, grandson of Count Windlord. I seek to stable my noble steed - Valiant - here at your stables. I have come with news for the Princess and Commander."

The stable master hesitates for a moment, looking between the party and the knight, trying best to decide which group takes precedence...

Spoiler: Manta
    Show
    You guys paid for a 15.5 gallon wood barrel of beer. So that's like 120 pounds, not including the barrel.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-09-09 at 03:06 AM.
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #164

Flumph

Natalie

"Hm", Natalie steps forward to talk with both knight and stablemaster. "I'm sorry, but we are in a hurry. We are doing a special mission for the crown, and we need an animal to help us get to our destination. We need priority in your services, and if not attended in time, we might fail our mission, which would not please the crown in the least." She looks at her allies, with her eyes turned into yellow, cat-like eyes, then back at both knight and stablemaster, her eyes back to normal. "That's not good for us, not good for you, and not good for the kingdom." She finishes, with assertiveness.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Bluff + Silver Tongue (8/9): (1d20+20)[38]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

The young man is a bit perplexed and stunned with the news. He pauses to consider before bowing slightly, "I yield the Stable Master to you, my dear."

The Stable master doesn't really know what's going on. After a few seconds of looking at Windlord and the party, he asks, "So... Stabling or buying...?"
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-09-10 at 12:23 AM.
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Leaving the others to the task of purchasing a suitable beast for their purposes, Koval removed his helm and approached the younger knight. Tucking it under one arm, he slapped a fist against his breastplate in salute with the other.

"Sir Windlord, well met. I am Sir Koval Sablelord of the northern marches. What news from the Frontier?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Is this the roll?

(1d20+8)[25]
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-09-10 at 12:46 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Windlord grasps Koval's hand verily, "It is good to meet another nobleman. We are few and far between these days, I fear." He pulls Koval in tight and whispers, "I come bearing news of orcs, sadly. Our scouts spotted about a hundred massing in the Frontier. My grandfather, Count Windlord, fears these orcs are the harbingers of a larger conflict that is to come. I rode all day and night to come here, to Starg, in order to inform the Princess of what has happened... And to ask High Priest Alfbjorn to send a message to the Crown in Stunborg by way of his magical raven."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-09-10 at 12:57 AM.
    DMing:

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Pulled in close to hear Sir Windlord's whisper, Koval responded with his own low murmur.

"It is good that you have come, Sir Windlord, but I fear the danger you seek to warn the Princess of has already struck the first blow. This morning the city was assaulted by an orc band in the service to a warlord named Garakah. They were joined by goblorc raiders from the sea. If they are but one of many such groups massing at the edge of the kingdom, I fear some larger conspiracy is afoot. And sadly, I must inform you that High Priest Alfbjorn was slain in the attack. Regardless, I have no doubt that the Princess and Commander Rangerson will be eager to hear your news."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Croftborg is stunned by the news, "You... You cannot be serious? Orcs and Goblorcs attacked Starg together, in broad daylight?" He takes a few steps back to gather himself, "With the High Priest dead, I fear Moondale may fall on hard times..." He perform the Sign of the Four on his forehead. After a moment of silence, he asks, "If you can, my friend, have you heard any word from either the Princess or the Commander about how many soldiers they will be sending north? I fear Windshire may not hold for long if the orcs gather in large numbers."
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

Leaving the knights to do their...knight things, Saskia busied herself by examining the stock of horses the stablemaster kept. The tiefling eyed the beasts distrustfully and muttered to Kas, "We really need one of these? I once owned a horse for a short while. It bit me." Saskia frowned.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    Saskia

"We really need one of these? I once owned a horse for a short while. It bit me."
    "Really? Do you taste like carrots or something?" Kas laughs loudly. "You should've bitten it back. Horse is quite tasty."

A small grin appears on Kas' face. "Either way, unless you want to drink both kegs yourself we're going to need something to transport them."
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2017-09-10 at 08:18 AM.
    Characters in play:

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

"I did! And it is!" she responded. "But some folks are touchy about which animals are edible, and which are 'cuddly' you know. I guess horses fit into the latter group. I don't really feel like carrying an entire keg myself though, so I'll let Koval and the others figure it out." The temptation to keep the alcohol and put up with a horse was strong, but Saskia equally preferred being unburdened."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Kas

"I'm with you on that one. Let the others figure out how to tackle this particular alcoholic conundrum." It's not like Kas cares either way, as long as the situation is resolved.

"Now I'm wondering if you could make ale with carrots." The half-orc rubs her chin in thought.
    Characters in play:

24. - Top - End - #174

Hedwig Gotlinde

As Natalie proved her worth in bluffing the stablemaster to attend to them first (and the nobleman into accepting it graciously), Hedwig turned and nodded approvingly to the gnome, a smile on her face.

Good job.

Stepping forward, and allowing Koval to converse with Sir Windlord and Kas and Saskia to talk amongst themselves, Hedwig opted to take the lead, remembering what Koval had advised the party on the way over.

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    "So... Stabling or buying...?"
    "Buying, as a matter of fact, my good sir. For our mission, as my colleague said, we need an animal to help carry some rather precious cargo, as we will be going rather far off the beaten track and into some areas that will be, if you'll pardon the simplicity of my language, rather spooky. So we are in need of a good steed, one that will not fright or bolt readily. If you have one, a mule would be ideal, as in my experience they don't tend to frighten as much as horses do; if you don't, the most stout-hearted of your horses will suffice. And on the off-chance you sell them, a cart for the horse."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Obviously this gentleman is a stablemaster and not a cartwright, but it never hurts to ask. If he has any mules available, Hedwig is interested in a light cart; if he only has actual horses, a light wagon.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The stable master looks out at the yard and then replies, "I... Have one donkey, two mules and five horses for sale. I am not a cartwright but I do have a wagon I would be willing to part with."
    DMing:

26. - Top - End - #176

Hedwig Gotlinde

Very almost. If it had been a small cart it would have been perfect, but a wagon is a bit much. If we had more time, we might visit a cartwright, but I believe the others wanted to leave as soon as possible. And thus, it seems we are left no choice.

I will miss you, delicious kegs of beer.

"One of your mules will do perfectly."
    Hedwig clasped her hands. "Now, as it happens, sir, I have the gold to pay you, but I have another offer, as well. Our party has come into the possession of two rather large kegs of beer, which we've left just outside. There's a lot of beer there, about 9 crowns worth, and I doubt we will be able to take it with us. If it is amenable to you, I would like to propose trading the beer for one of the mules."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    True, you can't pay rent with beer, but it is 9 crowns worth of beer - and, as it happens, mules are worth 8 crowns (gp). YOu'd be able to drink for weeks, months even.

Diplomacy (to try to barter with the guy): (1d20+10)[25]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-12 at 12:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

The stable master licks his chops as he walks over to the kegs and gives each a tap with his foot. "That's a lot of alcohol. It'll keep my boys working hard, knowing there's a stein or two of this waiting for them at the end of the day." He looks over at a field hand and gives a nod. A few minutes later, a gigantic snow white mule is brought around. She is easily one of the largest mules you have ever laid eyes on. "Got her when one of my asses stayed the night in the same pen as one of them Maghemian draft horses. She's young but knows the ropes. The field hands have taken to calling her Sugar. Not the most original name, I suppose, but a name is a name." The stable master hands Hed the rope leash. "She's all your's. Treat her well and she'll follow you to the ends of the earth."

Spoiler: Sugar
    Show
    Sugar weighs 946 pounds, which puts here near the top of average for mules.

Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-09-12 at 02:19 AM.
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Saskia

In a brief moment of uncharacteristic self-reflection, Saskia surmised that she was, at least to a small degree, similar to the mule before them: Strong and sturdy, and willing to follow to the ends of the earth if treated well. The comparison ceased there, however, as Saskia produced a sweet disposition only through great effort. "Sugar is a fine name. She doesn't bite, does she?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Koval

Oblivious to the deal being struck behind him, Koval continued in hushed tones.

"Alas that I am deathly serious, Sir. And while it gives me no pleasure to say it, the Princess and the Commander do not keep me in their confidences."

He paused a moment, fighting back a sigh.

"You will no doubt learn of this soon enough, but I did not arrive in Starg a knight. Indeed, I was dragged here as prisoner, accused of consorting with the fiends of Hell and sentenced to death. The attack gave me an opportunity to prove my honor with actions, and now the Princess has charged that I and my companions discover the truth of the infernal incursion. Were it not for these chains of duty that bind me, you would have another sword at your side when you returned north."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #180

[QUOTE=Lord Of Mantas;22375406]Hedwig Gotlinde
    [SIZE=1]Level 5 Cleric (Herald Caller)

Extending her hand, Hedwig shook the stablemaster's firmly. "The kegs, in turn, are all yours. A pleasure doing business with you."

Gently petting Sugar's mane, Hedwig took her by the reins and brought her over to where Koval and Sir Windlord were talking.

"When you are finished, Koval, we should try to get a good start while there's still light." She then turned to Sir Windlord. "And I believe the stablemaster should be ready for you, good sir."