New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Does anyone know how to set Program Files to Full Control in Windows 7?

Does anyone know how to set Program Files to Full Control in Windows 7? it won't seem to let me edit the permissions
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Does anyone know how to set Program Files to Full Control in Windows 7?

Why on earth would you want to do such a thing? Has it been a long time since some virus pwned your machine and you want to give the next one a good run to spice up your life?

Anyway, if you really have to do this--and I can't reiterate hard enough that you really, really, shouldn't--it's probably not allowing you to change the permissions because you don't own the folder (TrustedInstaller usually does). You'd have to take ownership of the folder before it would let you mess with the permissions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone know how to set Program Files to Full Control in Windows 7?

In addition to what Factotum already said (which I agree wtih 100%) ... depending on what you're trying to do (please .. tell us what you're trying to do .. so we can provide a more informed answer/suggestion) .... you could always setup your own folder elsewhere.

For example, every windows install I've ever done, I immediately create a C:\utils folder .. and I install "my" small utilities and such (ie Notepad++, etc) in there.
    I generaly leave Program Files for Microsoft's stuff ... and every thing else I tend to install in more specifically-organized locations :)
    that is .. locations I can control easier with privileges ... ;)

again though .. it depends on what you're doing .. give us more details, we can give more specific advice.
    Last edited by The_Ditto; 2017-07-31 at 07:40 AM.
    Laugh at life.
    Laugh until you cry.