New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Dark and Stormy Knight IC [3.5]

"Gah!" Torokk whips his injured hand back, chagrined. "Huh. Thought this was a fort. Why'd anyone trap a chest near the main entrance?"

Grumbling, he steps over to the chest and examines the contents. As he does, he responds to Aareon, "What makes you say that?"

He even peers at the darts that now litter the floor - could they be salvaged and used as thrown weapons?
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2017-08-03 at 02:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Aareon pulls out his short sword and dagger and looks around the room carefully for signs that anyone's been here.

"Someone's been here since the fort was abandoned." Aareon says somewhat quietly.

Spoiler
    Show

What's the room look like? Are there any important features or other doors?
    The room is about 30' by 40'; it has no other doorways than the one you came in through. There is nothing else in the room. There aren't even remnants of decorations as there were in the main hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    "Gah!" Torokk whips his injured hand back, chagrined. "Huh. Thought this was a fort. Why'd anyone trap a chest near the main entrance?"

Grumbling, he steps over to the chest and examines the contents. As he does, he responds to Aareon, "What makes you say that?"

He even peers at the darts that now litter the floor - could they be salvaged and used as thrown weapons?
    The chest contains two pearls that look to be quite good, and a small pouch containing 100 gold coins. There's also a leather headband studded with small iron rivets.
    The darts seem to be in good enough shape that they could be reused, or at least most of them could be.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey," Torokk calls, "There's money in here!" He scoops up all the treasure and shows it all around. "This mission keeps getting better!" He peers closely at the headband, then shrugs, holding it out to Lars. "Dunno what this is. Think it's special?"

Presuming Lars takes the band, Torokk gathers up as many of the darts as are re-usable. "No point letting them go to waste," he murmurs if anyone looks at him askance - and to be fair, even a small weapon like a dart could probably fell a warrior at a dozen paces, when driven by Torokk's mighty arm.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2017-08-03 at 04:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon actually looks surprised at the amount of gold and curses in elvish, "Kyr kali iar, That's how I know we're not alone. You don't abandon a place and leave that much coin laying around."
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-08-03 at 04:32 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Lars graciously accepts the headband, giving a small flourishing bow as a gesture of thanks. "I'll inspect the band at a later time," he says. "I make it a habit not to put on random things I find lying about in abandoned places. Heard to many ghost stories for that!" With a spin on his heel, he moves toward the western door. "Might as well check it all out while we're at it!" he calls over his shoulder.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk finds that 10 of the darts are still useable.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

At the sight of the darts and treasure, Govanan takes a quick swig from his flask before stowing it away quickly in one of his pockets.

"Well, I, for one, have become very curious about the mysteries of this place. What say you all that was do a tad bit more exploring?"

He turned and returned to the main hall. He hadn't appreciated the locked door ruining his stride early, so he let someone else choose which door they should try next. Instead, he ran his finger through the dust covering the decorations to try and see any hints to who inhabited the place before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar crafted by Ceika, she of the amazing art skills!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk steps out after Lars toward the western door. When they get there and find that it too is locked, Torokk and Lars share a glance, and the half-orc shrugs and heaves back to give the door a mighty kick!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Strength check to break open the door! (1d20+5)[8]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

His stance is off, though, and he just rattles the door in its frame. He sighs. "Crowbar, Aareon?" He calls back to the wood elf.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon hands the Half-Orc the crowbar but doesn't help him open the door. He readies himself for anything, weapons in hand.
    Camel's Handbook

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk grunts in thanks and sinks the crowbar deep into the gap between the lock and the frame, then yanks on it hard.

Show
    Crowbar time! (1d20+7)[12]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

After putting in some effort for a few rounds this door opens as well. It opens into a hallway that runs around 30' then opens up into a room. You can see something on the far wall of that room, it looks like a coffin or sarcophagus standing upright.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk tosses the crowbar back to Aareon and takes up his glaive. "Don't think I trust these boxes any more," he mutters. "We gonna take a look?"

14. - Top - End - #44

Father Govanan bounded forward once he saw people hesitate (weren't they at all curious of what lay within? So what if the chest earlier had a little trap, nobody traps everything). He quickly crossed to the... corpse-holding receptacle with curiosity in his eye. "Well," he began. "Normally I'd say we should respect the dead and all that nonsense, but I say we should figure out why everyone died, right? In case why they died turns us into this poor chap. So we should search this coffin for clues!" He took a quick swig from his flask, then started trying to push open the coffin after doing a quick look for traps.

Spoiler: Rolls and Checks!
    Show
    First off, rolling Search to see if there's something likely to kill me.
    (1d20)[12]

Second, assuming I don't see anything (which, let's be honest, I didn't see anything even if there is a trap), taking 20 on strength to get the lid off. My modifier's +1
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk nods, "Aye. It's good."

And follows into the chamber.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming everyone else is also coming along into the chamber.
    As you enter the chamber you can see the head on the sarcophagus looks odd, the hair looks more like tentacles and has a pair of small bat wings coming out of the temple. Suddenly it opens its eyes, which have small green flames within! It attacks! It starts to fly forward and lets out a terrible and otherworldly shriek!

Spoiler: Rolls and such
    Show

none of you succeeded at the spot check to notice it as an enemy, so it gets a surprise round.
    rolling the saves against its shriek:
    Aareon
    (1d20+1)[14]

Torokk
    (1d20+3)[13]

Govanan
    (1d20+4)[7]

Lars
    (1d20)[19]

Father Govanan is paralyzed with fear for now!
    The rest, are unsettled by the horror but are not seriously affected (no penalties or conditions are applied).

Then rolling initiative for after the surprise round:
    The monster's init
    (1d20+1)[12]

The party's init (using group initiative, party's average init is +2)
    (1d20+2)[16]

The party's turn to act is now (except for the paralyzed Govanan). the monster is about 20' away, still near the sarcophagus.

The monster is size small, and none of you can identify it.

editting in results after seeing the rolls

Last edited by zlefin; 2017-08-05 at 09:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The wood elf grimaces, and reacting on instinct moves his dagger into the hand holding his short sword so that he holds both weapons in one hand and with the other pulls out his light hammer and throws it at the creature hoping his blow will shut it up.

With the hammer connecting solidly, you see him move the dagger back to his off hand and re-position his feet in the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Not an Action: Five foot step towards the creature
    Move Action: Draw a light hammer
    Standard Action: Light Hammer ranged attack (1d20+4)[22] for (1d4+4)[5] points of damage
    Swift Action: Island of Blades stance
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-08-05 at 06:21 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Torokk' big grey face scrunches up as the unearthly scream assaults him - but he bellows his own defiance in reply!

Blinking, his gaze locks onto the enemy. The elf is faster, though, and Torokk takes the lead from Aareon, adding one of the newly-found darts to the fullisade.

His arm hammers forward, driving the little metal spike with lethal speed.

As the haft of his glaive slaps back into his hand, he whirls it once and lifts the blade over his head in a driving, punishing stance, daring the enemy to approach...

Show
    Move: draw dart
    Standard: throw dart
    Swift: adopt Punishing Stance

Attack (1d20+3)[10] and damage (1d4+5)[7]

AC is currently 14.
    Torokk has Reach, threatening spaces 10 feet away.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Oh ho ho, I can make noise too little fellow!" Lars exclaims. With a twist, he pulls his gong of his back and begins a steadily-growing-louder drum on the instrument. "Let's see whose noise is better!"

Show

Move: Draw gong
    Standard: Spend bardic music for Inspire courage, granting my companions a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8A_Gl1MvY#t=2m41s

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

The strange creature is missed by the dart, but hit solidly by the hammer. It collapses to the ground, twitching a bit, but not moving beyond that.

(that completes the creature's turn, party's turn again).

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon waste no time, not knowing what the creature is or whether it's still a threat. He moves quickly towards the creature his blades trail with flame and, oddly, shadow. For a brief second it seems like Aareon's shadow splits from him and both shortswords trailing fire attack at the prone head.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Move next to creature
    Swift Action: Initiate Burning Blade
    Standard Action: Initiate Shadow Blade Technique with shortsword.

Shortsword ((1d20+5)[14], (1d20+5)[25]) for (1d6+8)[10] piercing and (1d6+1)[6] fire. If needed: (1d6)[6] cold damage.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-08-06 at 03:21 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Critical Threat
    Show

Shortsword (1d20+5)[7] for (1d6+8)[13] points of damage.
    Camel's Handbook

23. - Top - End - #53

Father Govanan shook his head, clearing his mind of the fright. He studied the creature, racking his brain to see if he remembered it from somewhere, before realizing what he had to do. He'd seen the... thing's fiery eyes, and figured putting it out might help. Or it might not, who knew.

So he muttered a quick prayer to his god under his breath while he stepped forward, and a quick downpour of water fell from the ceiling onto the creature.

"Hate to rain on your parade," the good Father said. "But I can't sea the point in sticking with dry humor."

Spoiler: Rolls and OOC stuff
    Show
    First, Knowledge (Religion) on the off chance it actually helps- and might as well roll.
    (1d20+1)[2]
    EDIT: Welp, natural one definitely don't know anything at all . Good thing I didn't charge as per my original plan.

Second, walking 10 feet forward (which puts me 10 feet away from it, within walking range for next round for whacking), so all I got is magic. Specifically Create Water. Casting above it, two gallons of water on its head. Its got fire for eyes, so maybe this will blind it? Either way, worth a shot, and, regarding cost, its really just a drop in the bucket for me.
    Last edited by caesar193; 2017-08-07 at 01:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think the elf killed it," Torokk advises Govanan helpfully. "I like your gong," he adds to Lars.

He shambles up to Aareon and peers at the smashed, burned, stabbed creature. If it still moves, he smashes it with his spiked gauntlet until it doesn't any more.

Show
    So from the description I think it's dead?

Torokk will close to adjacency and check it out. If it's still twitching he'll make an attack with his spiked gauntlet. In such a case, I assume it's Prone, granting +4 to attack rolls.

Move: move
    Standard: attack with gauntlet

Attack (1d20+10)[12], I messed up the damage roll so made it in the OOC thread, for 10 piercing damage
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2017-08-07 at 10:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The creature is now quite thoroughly dead and splattered across the floor, thanks to the additional blows. It remains quite clearly dead, and no further threats appear. The room is 30' by 40', and has no other exits than the one you came in by. It appears the creature had hollowed out part of the sarcophagus to use as a nest. There is nothing of note in the room other than the sarcophagus and the corpse of the creature.

(PS: I already rolled knowledges at the start of the battle; better to not know whether you should know or not, i.e. I prefer to keep the knowledge roll secret)
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-08-07 at 07:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"Weird monster," Torokk observes. "Hey. Anyone want a boost up to look inside the coffin? That thing made a hole and I can lift you to look inside." He glances at Govanan.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2017-08-07 at 10:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

As noone seemed interested, you set about searching it yourself, and you find a ring, and a bunch of cobwebs. There's nothing else of interest in the room.

(just trying to keep things moving along)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh!" Torokk polishes the ring on his tunic, then holds it up close to his face and peers at it. If he sees nothing unusual about it, he puts it on, then turns to the others.

"Good stuff. Where next," he points back through the doorway, "The next door?"

Show
    'Anything unusual' means iconography, signet marks, set gemstones, an inscription... Basically anything other than a plain gold or silver ring.

29. - Top - End - #59

Govanan wasn't quite willing to stick his nose in after seeing the scary little.... cephalopod? Eh, whatever. But now that there was a ring involved...

"Perhaps I might inspect this ring? For I am a priest of the God of Jewels, and as such would naturally know the most about this kind of thing."

Of course, he'd ignored that particular aspect of his faith for more practical concerns, like drinking, but they didn't need to know that.

If he's given the ring, he immediately slips it onto his finger.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

(ooc: the module notes say nothing about the ring's description; I guess I'll just outright say that it's magical, and assume it's appropriately ornate/marked/something)