New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    As an aside, Inevitability: Did you officially establish that INT --, 1, or 2 creatures are assumed to be able to take class levels, for the purpose of LA assignment? I just saw a rule in Savage Species, explicitly stating that creatures with intelligence scores below 3 cannot have levels in any class, which would kind of hurt the spider eater, for one. I wouldn't want to advance as magical beast, no matter the freedoms of movement I might get.
    Firstly, as a magical beast (rather than an animal) there's no rule restricting its intelligence to 1 or 2, so a player could assign an 11 there and satisfy PC requirements.

Also, I do assume that mindless or unintelligent beings somehow get sufficient intelligence.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

I swear that the writers were on drugs when designing some of these monsters.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    "This creature is basically a bear-sized wasp monster that can paralyze its prey for weeks, lays eggs inside of them, and is supernaturally resistant to all movement-impeding effects."
    "What are you going to name it after?"
    "Probably its diet. It eats spiders: how crazy is that?"
    It's a crime that this won't be seen by any more than the few hundred (? ish? Maybe?) people who check out this thread.

That said, I think +1 is completely fine. Flight + FoM is worth forcing 5th level, since everything else can be summed up as "can hit things moderately well."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

I also agree with +1. This is a bleh package for ECL 5, but honestly getting some of those super needed abilities will be awesome later on.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Or they just got back from a trip to Australia.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

A lot of the 1st Edition monsters were just plastic dollar store "dinosaurs" with a random name and ability attached.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Or they just got back from a trip to Australia.
    Australia has beholders? Oh ****!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Oh believe me, from what I've heard, beholders probably last long there before dying out.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

I knew Spider Eaters were a thing, but I could have sworn they were from one of the later MMs, or possibly Fiend Folio. Flabbergasted that they're in MM1. What other secrets is this book hiding from me?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    I knew Spider Eaters were a thing, but I could have sworn they were from one of the later MMs, or possibly Fiend Folio. Flabbergasted that they're in MM1. What other secrets is this book hiding from me?
    Probably the secret to immortality. But it comes with 24 racial hit dice.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably the secret to immortality. But it comes with 24 racial hit dice.
    Yeah, and LA: +21 (cohort).

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pffft, the secret to immortality is in Dungeon Magazine. No, really-one of the treasures at the bottom of Castle Maur was an artifact elixir that rendered the drinker immortal, at least age-wise. you still took physical ability score penalties every century until you hit 1, though, so it was kind of meh.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    It's a crime that this won't be seen by any more than the few hundred (? ish? Maybe?) people who check out this thread.

That said, I think +1 is completely fine. Flight + FoM is worth forcing 5th level, since everything else can be summed up as "can hit things moderately well."
    Pros:
    +10 Str
    +10 Con
    +2 Dex
    +2 Wis
    Full BAB (all 4 HD)

That's more than just hitting moderately well. That's a +5 bonus over what you could expect any similarly-priced statted Str-based character to obtain.

That bonus means less over time, as Wild Shape and poly any object come into play, but that's when the freedom of movement starts to shine.

All-day flight is available to Warlocks at level 6. That's where I think this guy should sit.

Here's a sample build:

Spider Eater 4 / Barbarian 3 (pounce totem) / Fist of the Forest 3 / Bear Warrior 10

Barbarian 3: Lion Spirit Totem (for Pounce); Trapslayer ACF (to find traps with Survival and kill them with BAB).
    Fist of the Forest: nice Unarmed Strike damage (take Beast Strike to add claw damage to unarmed strikes); add Con to AC (and you have +10 Con).
    Bear Warrior: add another large bonus to your already absurd Strength, and get more attacks.

Bumping the Spider Eater to LA +2 would allow this exact build, but with 2 fewer levels of Barbarian (removing Uncanny Dodge and Trapslayer). Still quite competitive, but not totally overshadowing the basic Barb 4 / FotF 3 / Bear Warrior 10 / whatever 3.

A Meldshaper or Martial Initiator could be even more powerful.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the one hand, yeah, on the other ... it doesn't really have proper hands, going by the picture and/or description, it seems most/all manipulation would be done with its mouth.
    Oh, sure, mouthpick weapons are a thing ... but lacking hands or a suitable equivalent capability is a significant downside, and one that I think hasn't always been fully considered.

Edit: That is to say, I think LA +1 is fine.
    Last edited by javcs; 2017-08-31 at 01:37 AM.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Pros:
    +10 Str
    +10 Con
    +2 Dex
    +2 Wis
    Full BAB (all 4 HD)

That's more than just hitting moderately well. That's a +5 bonus over what you could expect any similarly-priced statted Str-based character to obtain.

That bonus means less over time, as Wild Shape and poly any object come into play, but that's when the freedom of movement starts to shine.

All-day flight is available to Warlocks at level 6. That's where I think this guy should sit.
    The lack of a weapon means damage balances out fairly well. A Medium Barbarian with a Masterwork weapon has narrowed that attack bonus gap to a mere 1 while raging.

Sure, a Warlock is flying at 6th. The Warlock could also instead be doing any combination of being the face (Beguiling Influence, Charm), being the Rogue (Baleful Utterance), creating some BFC (Earthen Grasp, Miasmic Cloud, Breath of the Night), having maneuverability (Spiderwalk, Fell Flight, Swimming the Styx), having great senses (See the Unseen, All-Seeing eyes), etc. The Warlock is a completely different class of character than the Spider Eater. Comparing the two does not do the Spider Eater any favors.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Firstly, as a magical beast (rather than an animal) there's no rule restricting its intelligence to 1 or 2, so a player could assign an 11 there and satisfy PC requirements.

Also, I do assume that mindless or unintelligent beings somehow get sufficient intelligence.
    Good point, that. You'd even learn a language. It does mean you can't reasonably dump intelligence, but that's a minor drawback. Alrighty, thanks.

On the spider eater: Serpent Kingdoms has the Barbed Stinger feat, which grants you Improved Grab with your stinger, dealing automatic sting damage (including poison) each round you maintain hold. So if you can manage a ten-round hold, your opponent will have a chance to be paralyzed each round, at no additional action cost!

...Okay, that's not the real benefit. I was thinking, a Barbed Stinger with venomfire might be a decent start for a grappling build. Combine with druidic avenger, cleric, or Totem Rager (no native venomfire casting), and it'll definitely leave an impression on the rest of the table.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    +10 Str
    +10 Con
    +2 Dex
    +2 Wis
    Full BAB (all 4 HD)

Here's a sample build:

Spider Eater 4 / Barbarian 3 (pounce totem) / Fist of the Forest 3 / Bear Warrior 10

Barbarian 3: Lion Spirit Totem (for Pounce); Trapslayer ACF (to find traps with Survival and kill them with BAB).
    Fist of the Forest: nice Unarmed Strike damage (take Beast Strike to add claw damage to unarmed strikes); add Con to AC (and you have +10 Con).
    Bear Warrior: add another large bonus to your already absurd Strength, and get more attacks.

Bumping the Spider Eater to LA +2 would allow this exact build, but with 2 fewer levels of Barbarian (removing Uncanny Dodge and Trapslayer). Still quite competitive, but not totally overshadowing the basic Barb 4 / FotF 3 / Bear Warrior 10 / whatever 3.

A Meldshaper or Martial Initiator could be even more powerful.

I agree with most of this analysis, but I feel it neglects the huge hit to Int and lack of manipulative appendages.

Skills matter. Unless you put an 18 into starting Int, you're likely to be only getting 1 skill point/level.

I'm on the border between LA +2 and LA +1, but I think I'll vote LA +1.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I agree with most of this analysis, but I feel it neglects the huge hit to Int and lack of manipulative appendages.

Skills matter. Unless you put an 18 into starting Int, you're likely to be only getting 1 skill point/level.
    You're right that skills matter, but it's not true that paying for 18 Int is required.

Pay for 14 base Int (paying 6 points), and you'll have -2 skill points per level. That turns Swordsage into 4 skills maxed; Scout into 6 skills maxed; Barbarian into 2 skills maxed.

If you only got 2 skills, those two skills would probably be Spot and Listen, since you get a +4 racial bonus on those, and +2 Wisdom.

You'd be a bit one-dimensional, but you'd handily outperform other PCs within that area -- and that's what LA is supposed to correct.

Consider a 32-point-buy. Pick race Spider Eater and stats like...
    Str 14 + 10 => 24
    Dex 14 +2 => 16
    Con 14 +10 => 24
    Int 14 -8 => 6
    Wis 14 +2 => 16
    Cha 10

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

You're right that skills matter, but it's not true that paying for 18 Int is required.

Pay for 14 base Int (paying 6 points), and you'll have -2 skill points per level. That turns Swordsage into 4 skills maxed; Scout into 6 skills maxed; Barbarian into 2 skills maxed.

If you only got 2 skills, those two skills would probably be Spot and Listen, since you get a +4 racial bonus on those, and +2 Wisdom.

You'd be a bit one-dimensional, but you'd handily outperform other PCs within that area -- and that's what LA is supposed to correct.

Consider a 32-point-buy. Pick race Spider Eater and stats like...
    Str 14 + 10 => 24
    Dex 14 +2 => 16
    Con 14 +10 => 24
    Int 14 -8 => 6
    Wis 14 +2 => 16
    Cha 10

True, and good points.

Maybe you could come up with some weird back-story and have Nymph's Kiss as one of your starting feats...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly a magical beast being friends with a fey seems less odd than, say, a neraph.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also the Open-Minded feat in XPH (I think).

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Honestly a magical beast being friends with a fey seems less odd than, say, a neraph.
    I keep forgetting that these guys are Magical Beasts, not Aberrations...

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    There's also the Open-Minded feat in XPH (I think).
    Yep, Open Minded is a general feat found in XPH, as well as CAd.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

LA is not supposed to be that strict. It's completely fair to be a few points better at Spot/Listen than a human with max ranks and 14 wisdom, if you give up in other departments (which spider eaters do, and massively). For one, humans will always be 4 points ahead on Knowledge skills, plus that they can actually afford ranks.

Giving up skill ranks and appendages means you can't cast spells without Eschew Materials and Surrogate Spellcasting, you can't enter a lot of PrCs (seriously, every other PrC requires 8 ranks in some skill), you can't communicate with the party without a pearl of speech (not expensive, but it's a body slot), your armour is at 2x cost, your weapons need an extra +1 bonus to be mouthpick'd, and you probably can't use Craft, Disable Device, Forgery, Heal, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Use Magic Device, or Use Rope, because of the delicate manipulation required.

Spider eaters have a full attack at 2d8+12 (base 16 STR), which is about the same as an orc barbarian's single hit at ECL 5 (2d6+14, 2-point PA, rage, same base 16 STR). That's at the same to-hit: orcs get +1 bab, a masterwork greatsword, and no size penalty. I'm not even counting that the spider eater's bite is at -5, or that it can't actually fly and full attack (it'd fall).

Edit: Just realized that spider eaters only have two class skills: Spot and Listen. Annoying.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2017-08-31 at 08:27 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

When this thread finished the MM, we should celebrate by trying to think up good characters (not just builds) for each of these monsters.

"Bzzzz... I was considered a little slow in the warblade dojo, but what they should have known was that I was learning more carefully. Bzzzz... I will always appreciate the compassion that the master showed for me, he made me truly feel 'human'. Bzzzz... I'm really hungry for a spider right about now."
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just think, in Australia having spider eaters around raises your property value. Because they keep the spiders in check.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Just think, in Australia having spider eaters around raises your property value. Because they keep the spiders in check.
    I live in Australia and my wife has the most intense arachnophobia of anyone I've ever met. Fun times.

...at least we're at the Southern end of the country, the spiders are generally worse up North.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I live in Australia and my ife has the most intense arachnophobia of anyone I've ever met. Fun times.

...at least we're at the Southern end of the country, the spiders are generally worse up North.
    I prefer to interpret this as wildlife claiming territory like gangs. "Up north the Spyders are the big threat."
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    When this thread finished the MM, we should celebrate by trying to think up good characters (not just builds) for each of these monsters.

"Bzzzz... I was considered a little slow in the warblade dojo, but what they should have known was that I was learning more carefully. Bzzzz... I will always appreciate the compassion that the master showed for me, he made me truly feel 'human'. Bzzzz... I'm really hungry for a spider right about now."
    I'm actually considering starting a hop-on-hop-off game of short dungeon crawls to let people play monstrous characters once this book's finished.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm actually considering starting a hop-on-hop-off game of short dungeon crawls to let people play monstrous characters once this book's finished.
    Sounds good to me. Of course, that is still a ways off if you plan on doing all the other MMs and such.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

I live in Australia and my wife has the most intense arachnophobia of anyone I've ever met. Fun times.
    I kinda feel the death world known as Australia is one of the few places where its really justified? I mean, suposedly you got some really nasty buggers over there, ones that can kill a man.

Where i live spiders dont grow much larger than a centimeter or two (discounting legs), but some girls are still scared of them. Go figure
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar