New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes' Hearth

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes' Hearth

Bonfire

Oh, you don't have to believe, that's just a luxury. Says the Doctor. The little man then clacks his cane on the ground, and in a puff of smoke a table flanked by wicker chairs appears. The Little man sits in one, and gestures for the dwarf to sit in the other.

The Little man then waves his left hand in the air, then plucks the black deck of cards from his ear with the right hand. He grins, then shuffles the deck.

Doctor Arnold plucks a card from the deck that shows a woman in a red dress holding a baby that exudes smoke with a man crying in the background.

This card tells me that you were born a little bit early, and that your mother sadly did not survive, or at least lost a part of herswelf with the birth. A part that she could never reclaim.

He then plucks another card, and it shows a bearded man in shining golden armor.

Well I didn't need a card to tell me this, but it confirms my suspicions that you my friend a bringer of justice to those who escape it. You hold up the truest beliefs that those who practice evil need to be stopped, whether smitten or atoned is up to the evildoer.

The last card Doctor Arnold plucks is of a forest with a black son looking over it. Thesky is red, and creatures rain down from it. men and women are running away from the tide of evil.

Well this is interesting. This one shows me that a great darkness is coming, and is unclear whether you will stand against it,or run away from its power.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Bonfire]

"Magical inner sight?" Thariza wonders aloud. "I don't have anything like that. My magic changed since I was brought back, but not like this."
    [Bonfire]

"I wasn't sure what it meant myself actually, 'magic' is not a term I like to use in my own research." Ambrosia explains. "I have barely begun studying these notes to be honest." She suddenly hesitates as she realize what she just had said, this whole project was likely not something Thariza wanted people to study, it had pictures of her naked body after all, not other private information.

If Thariza keeps turning the pages, she will see notes regarding her mental stability and the "stability" of her soul and potential issues with urging it back to life. Then it goes extensively into her memories noting memorable events in her life, dating all the way back to her birth. In fact, some of these events she likely can't even remember, like a short note about the very first thing that she saw after opening her eyes the very first time. Somehow her memories seem to have been extracted from her soul and then been written down extensively. These memories are apparently the key to keep her soul 'stable' enough to remain within her body after being brought back to life again.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-08-06 at 09:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

Thariza starts growling after a few pages. The growl grows louder, the hair on the back of her neck stand up and she bares her teeth. Eventually, she looks like she wants to rip the notebook in half, but she instead closes it and gives it to Ambrosia with trembling hands.

"And here I thought it couldn't get any worse. I was a lab rat to that thing. Worse than a lab rat. I wish I could crush its head into a fine paste."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Bonfire

Oh, you don't have to believe, that's just a luxury. Says the Doctor. The little man then clacks his cane on the ground, and in a puff of smoke a table flanked by wicker chairs appears. The Little man sits in one, and gestures for the dwarf to sit in the other.

The Little man then waves his left hand in the air, then plucks the black deck of cards from his ear with the right hand. He grins, then shuffles the deck.

Doctor Arnold plucks a card from the deck that shows a woman in a red dress holding a baby that exudes smoke with a man crying in the background.

This card tells me that you were born a little bit early, and that your mother sadly did not survive, or at least lost a part of herswelf with the birth. A part that she could never reclaim.

He then plucks another card, and it shows a bearded man in shining golden armor.

Well I didn't need a card to tell me this, but it confirms my suspicions that you my friend a bringer of justice to those who escape it. You hold up the truest beliefs that those who practice evil need to be stopped, whether smitten or atoned is up to the evildoer.

The last card Doctor Arnold plucks is of a forest with a black son looking over it. Thesky is red, and creatures rain down from it. men and women are running away from the tide of evil.

Well this is interesting. This one shows me that a great darkness is coming, and is unclear whether you will stand against it,or run away from its power.
    The dwarf grins. "You've got a lot o' practice at that. I think ya may have been right with those cards but I was born late, not early."
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

A young desert elf with short, sandy blonde hair and bright blue eyes wanders through the stalls of the Forge, inquiring with the smiths. He was dressed in simple loose fitting robes and a pair of low leather boots, all in light earthy tones. The spot of color in his wardrobe was a deep burgundy sash he wore across his body, emblazoned with pins and medals. He wore a flat cyllindrical hat made from patches of the same fabric. A shallow wooden crate floated along behind him, borne aloft on tendrils of goldenrod colored magical energy. He carried a staff with him and leaned on it when he paused to talk to the smiths. Had any of them heard of the pride of his homeland: Crysteel?

[The Village of Avalon]

A man dressed in a worn, but clean black suit stepped off the docks and took the road up to the village. His long silver hair fell to his shoulders, matching his neatly trimmed beard. Mossy green eyes surveyed the area for signs of trouble, but he doubted he would find any here. Around his neck he wore a holy symbol, the image of a running wolf worked in silver with a single emerald for the eye. Across his back he bore a heavy sword.

Beside him walked a charcoal grey direwolf, large enough for the man to ride. It was laden with saddle bags, and had a rifle strapped to its side, in addition to the riding tack. It followed along dutifully, being careful to avoid any horses it might startle.

"Well, Shadow," the man said to his companion, "When I heard this was Avalon, this wasn't what I pictured."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Bonfire]

At length, Arkangel gets to their feet. The bonfire has done its work.

Next stop, the [Forge]. There are repairs to get done. Warrior's Rest isn't so high that it can't be leapt over in a single bound! The hero lands (somewhat heavily) outside the complex of smithies and workshops, and takes in the state of the place, collecting borrowed sights from nearby acolytes and customer. On the way to a space where they can use the equipment - that person in the hat looks a little familiar, don't they?

"Is that what's in the box?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Bonfire]

Thariza starts growling after a few pages. The growl grows louder, the hair on the back of her neck stand up and she bares her teeth. Eventually, she looks like she wants to rip the notebook in half, but she instead closes it and gives it to Ambrosia with trembling hands.

"And here I thought it couldn't get any worse. I was a lab rat to that thing. Worse than a lab rat. I wish I could crush its head into a fine paste."
    [Bonfire]

Ambrosia swallows. This had been a mistake. Her father would mock her for being so truthful, but the odds of actually meeting Thariza... she had to see the reaction.
    "I... agree, that it seems bad. But you are alive again, aren't you? You might argue that is preferable, but then I would have to disagree. I might not not know you Thariza, but I can assure you that the world is greater with you in it." She argues with conviction.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    The dwarf grins. "You've got a lot o' practice at that. I think ya may have been right with those cards but I was born late, not early."
    Bonfire

Ah well, at least I was almost right. The card tells of a strange happenings around birth, and most people who have gotten that card are born early. It was wrong of me to assume, and I hope you can forgive me. says the Doctor as he waves his hands over the cards. They, and the deck, then disappear.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"Desert crystals, the raw material for Crysteel," the elf, Renault, explains. He lifts the lid of the box to reveal a group of fist sized pinkish-purple crystals, carefully nestled in straw. "Fairly unstable in their natural state."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

10. - Top - End - #40

Default [The Forge]

Oh. That's a pun, isn't it? Crystal. Steel. Crysteel. How awful. Arkangel's mask remains completely expresionless.

"I cannot say that I know of it. How goes it compare to other materials?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bonfire

Ah well, at least I was almost right. The card tells of a strange happenings around birth, and most people who have gotten that card are born early. It was wrong of me to assume, and I hope you can forgive me. says the Doctor as he waves his hands over the cards. They, and the deck, then disappear.
    "Ah, people and bein' offended. Don't worry aboot it. I been wonderin', do ya have anything that needs killin'? Or somebody up ta no good that ya know of?"
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Bonfire

"Ah, people and bein' offended. Don't worry aboot it. I been wonderin', do ya have anything that needs killin'? Or somebody up ta no good that ya know of?"
    Oh enemies I've made plenty of, but my biggest is being dealt with as we speak. I'm in a cheerful mood because of it actually, Shadow deserved what he's getting what with angering that hope goddess. I'll have to tell you about him sometime, quite the tale. As for your question, no. I can take care of my own problems, but thanks for offering. explains Doctor Arnold.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-08-07 at 08:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"It's both lighter and stronger than steel, but its real power is how it interacts with mana. White Crysteel can be used to channel magic, while black Crysteel is capable of blocking the flow of mana." Renault says.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #44

Default [The Forge]

"I would say lighter and stronger than steel is plenty- They glance down at the skull-on-a-string at their belt. Not crysteel, but similar principles, with the blocking of magic.

-but that's another matter. You want something made of it?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

Renault nods. "Yes, a staff. Either shod in Crysteel or made entirely from it. I've worked with the metal on a small scale before, and I know the theory of working it safely from crystal into steel, but I've never done it before, myself. I was hoping a skilled smith here could aid me."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post

[The Village of Avalon]

A man dressed in a worn, but clean black suit stepped off the docks and took the road up to the village. His long silver hair fell to his shoulders, matching his neatly trimmed beard. Mossy green eyes surveyed the area for signs of trouble, but he doubted he would find any here. Around his neck he wore a holy symbol, the image of a running wolf worked in silver with a single emerald for the eye. Across his back he bore a heavy sword.

Beside him walked a charcoal grey direwolf, large enough for the man to ride. It was laden with saddle bags, and had a rifle strapped to its side, in addition to the riding tack. It followed along dutifully, being careful to avoid any horses it might startle.

"Well, Shadow," the man said to his companion, "When I heard this was Avalon, this wasn't what I pictured."
    [The Village of Avalon]

There's another newcomer here - a colossal mountain of a man, nearly 7 feet tall and built like 4 log cabins all lashed together. He, too, bears the burdens of travel, but without a mount to share his load - merely a large pack strapped to his back, along with what might theoretically be called the sword, if the 'blade', bundled securely in layers of leather wrappings, didn't look to be the same size and approximate shape as a surfboard. Casually hefted across his shoulders is another weapon: a giant two-handed mace, its great flanged head, which looks easily large enough to smack the torso of any normal man clean out from his limbs, carved with exotic runes and surrounded with a faint frosty aura. In grooming habits, the two men were remarkably similar, with the much larger man also sporting a full, sharply trimmed beard and shoulder-length platinum blonde hair, adorned with several braided locks, though his eyes are not green but rather the deep blue of a clear winter sky. In dress, they're much more distinct - the second man's overstuffed physique encased in steel half-plate, dulled and worn by the road's difficulties, and yet still obviously of a make and quality that clearly befits the princely construction of the fellow's masculine features.

"It looks like a dump," he says, bluntly. "But if the rumors are true, there's a power here beyond mortal imagining."

He rolls his shoulders, lifting his oversized mace with a shrug and laying its head to rest atop the ground with as much ease as a baby would shake a rattle, leaning atop it with both hands as he takes in the sights with a haughty expression.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-08-07 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

17. - Top - End - #47

Default [The Forge]

"I have worked with many unusual materials, but a metal crystal is not among them. All the same, I can offer you what expertise I have. Together with your theoretical knowledge I expect we can bring it around."
    Here, I would comment on Arkangel closing their eyes to think - but the mask doesn't have holes for eyes (if indeed there's a face behind it at all).
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Village of Avalon]

The silver-haired man chuckles. "It is a bit... ecclectic." He agrees. "I haven't heard many solid rumors, beyond the offer of free housing to those who need it. There may be a connection here to my homeland as well. Of course, I could be confusing things." He extends a hand in greeting. "Balthier Wolfbound, it's nice to meet you Mr....?"

[The Forge]

Renault's face lights up. "You would help me? Wonderful! Now we just need to find a space to work. Away from others would be best. The crystals are very... finicky. It can be quite dangerous."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #49

Default [The Forge]

Arkangel nods. "We're prepared for that. A lot of secret and dangerous construction techniques get used here; I have an anvil and workplace away from most of the rest. Follow me."
    They lead the way (carefully, as though making sure Renault doesn't get lost) to just such a place, at the furthest end of the space from Warrior's Rest.
    "Remind me how the crystals are to be worked?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"They're worked like a metal. Heated, then beaten, and folded until the metal forms. It all has to be done carefully, though. I, as the mage, must monitor the mana levels in the crystal. They'll become higher as we add heat and pressure. There's a runic circle, here have a look at this." Renault takes out a notebook from inside his robes and flips it open to a page, a piece of parchement unfolds from it, revealing a runic array. "If we forge inside of this, I can safely ground out the excess mana build up. It will dissipate back into the earth."

The elf pauses for a moment, having quite forgotten himself. "I'm Renault, by the way. Renault DeLoran."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #51

Default [The Forge]

"Arkangel. Good to meet you." They think on the name 'Renault DeLoran', coupled with this man's appearance. In all that was, is, and ever will be, did his crimes stand out? They used to know everything, but its gotten so hard to remember, mercifully.
    "Get the runes ready, and I'll prepare the heat." Coal and hearth and bellows, all set to their proper place and lit and in motion. Tongs and hammers all sitting ready.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-08-08 at 02:19 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Ambrosia swallows. This had been a mistake. Her father would mock her for being so truthful, but the odds of actually meeting Thariza... she had to see the reaction.
    "I... agree, that it seems bad. But you are alive again, aren't you? You might argue that is preferable, but then I would have to disagree. I might not not know you Thariza, but I can assure you that the world is greater with you in it." She argues with conviction.
    "Maybe it is," Thariza admits, deflating. "I'm trying to figure out if it is. I almost died once. Then I really did die, but that thing brought me back. I have to believe it meant something. But I couldn't go back to just obeying orders. And here I am."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #53

[Bonfire]

"Few get that many chances, so rather than someone else telling you what you should do with your life, perhaps you should find a path of your own?" She smiles. "Though I might just have done that myself just now, even if it is just a suggestion." She moves to put her hands on their notes, waiting for Thariza to let go off them. "Though, admittedly finding a purpose in life is difficult, so perhaps I could give you a few suggestions. I myself, admittedly, found it pretty early in life, but I'm guessing you thought you had one, and it was taken from you?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Village of Avalon]

"I am Astvar."

There's a gap after he says his name - a pause that seems to imply that there are more names to come, and yet no more are given, leaving an hole in the air, a noticeable emptiness brought forth by unfilled expectations. He shakes the other man's hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bonfire

Oh enemies I've made plenty of, but my biggest is being dealt with as we speak. I'm in a cheerful mood because of it actually, Shadow deserved what he's getting what with angering that hope goddess. I'll have to tell you about him sometime, quite the tale. As for your question, no. I can take care of my own problems, but thanks for offering. explains Doctor Arnold.
    "Well who's dealin' with tha Shadow ya speak of?" Asks the dwarf.

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

Crimes, they can be difficult to define. Renault, at heart, was an honest, peace loving man. But one of his futures painted him as a rebel leader and usurper. Others had him breaking the laws of his homeland, but what if such laws were oppressive and unjust? Most saw him as quiet and law-abiding. So far he had commited no crimes, at least nothing of note.

Renault carefully let the crate down to rest on a convenient counter and began making preparations for drawing the runic array. From a case he drew a stick of pink chalk and marked a rough center point between the forge itself and the anvil. He then cast a spell, which marked a circle around them both, in golden mana. The desert elf took out scribing tools and set to work, marking lines within the circle, and carefully setting out the runes. He constantly refrrenced the notebook, going back and forth making sure things were just so.

"Don't worry about messing up the runes. It's magic chalk. It will stay in place until I dismiss it." He advises.

[The Village of Avalon]

Balthier looks briefly confused by the pause, but he decides a man's titles are his own to tell or not. He certainly wasn't telling of his own place in the world. He just smiles and shakes the big man's hand.

"So, what brings you to Avalon, Astvar, if I may ask?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #57

Default [The Forge]

A good guy! Or at least not a terribly dangerous villain.

Coal is set in place, the fire is lit, and Arkangel sets to pumping the bellows. The fire of the forge grows steadily brighter and hotter. At length, they pronounce it "Ready. Bring me the crystals."

That's a neat trick, the magic chalk.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

Renault carefully takes out a large pinkish crystal. "Let's do this one at a time. Less for me to focus on." The desert elf takes a deep breath and his eyes take on golden colored flecks in his blue irises. He offers the crystal to Arkangel to begin the forging process.

As the crystal is placed in the fire, the runes begin to glow gold. There's a golden inner light to the crystal as well. Soon the crystal glows white hot, ready to be shaped with hammer and tongs. Renault began chanting, watching the crystal with great intensity. When the first hammer blow is struck, the elf winces, but his chant does not falter. With each strike the runes flash brighter. Renault was sweating now. Slowly, though, the pink crystal was becoming denser taking on a silvery white sheen. The crystal was becoming metal, and the flashes of mana grew less intense. Through a few reheatings and many more strikes, the crystal has become a small block of Crysteel.

Renault, breathing heavily, but grinning, says "We did it."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well who's dealin' with tha Shadow ya speak of?" Asks the dwarf.
    Bonfire

The little man considers, then says: I'm not sure. Probably a vassal of this aforementioned hope goddess with a few adventurers that said, "High risk mission with little reward other than the knowledge that we did a good thing? Where do I sign up?"

I mean, I like doing good and whatnot, but does the whole 'justice is its own reward' have to be such an in your face attitude?

30. - Top - End - #60

Default [The Forge]

The crystal is gripped tight, tongs in their right hand, and heated, and struck - at first lightly, testing it, then with all the considerable strength they can use, crushing and reforming it.

"Will you be able to handle the mana from a second?" Arkangel inquires, removing another crystal from the crate and bringing in to the fire. Sure, Renault is smiling, and his gaze never wavered, but you can hear the effort in his breathing, and with the way the mana surges, he may as well be the one getting shaped under the hammer.

But if he answers confidently, back to the anvil it is! Surely he knows his own limits.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine