New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes' Hearth

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes' Hearth

[The Forge]

Renault nods. "I can, but I will probably need a break after that."

And so the process begins again, with the runes flashing golden with every strike. Renault chants, keeping up his concentration. Soon, they have a second piece of Crysteel.

Renaults looking a bit more haggard now, but is still quite pleased with their progress.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [The Forge]

At length, Arkangel sets down their tongs and hammer, drawing a deep breath. The physical side of this is not much easier than the magical component.

"It's a start."
    And Renault had wanted a whole staff cast from this stuff? That would take a while. But they know that can do it.
    "so. What circumstances bring you here in need of a new staff?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-08-08 at 11:23 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"The Nexus, it's just so dangerous. A simple wooden staff just doesn't cut it any longer. Where I'm from, my people are forbidden weapons. I've been allowed a staff as a mark of my station. Something I can channel magic through will be quite a boon. If you think it's possible, I'd like to forge black Crysteel into it as well, perhaps shod one end in white and one in black?" Renault wonders.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

4. - Top - End - #64

Default [The Forge]

Arkangel can't disagree with that. At this very moment they're armed with a sword, a knife, a rocket launcher, a dart gun, poisons, grenades, and a magic wand. Not to mention the damage they can do with just their hands. It is a dangerous, violent world out there.

"Somewhere very safe, or very strict." They observe.
    "That makes sense, as caps. You wouldn't mix them in one wholly metal piece, or the black would interfere with the white, but at opposite ends, it should work for you."
    "I think it will need four more crystals: one white, three black. Is the difference in the crystals they start as, or in the refining process?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Few get that many chances, so rather than someone else telling you what you should do with your life, perhaps you should find a path of your own?" She smiles. "Though I might just have done that myself just now, even if it is just a suggestion." She moves to put her hands on their notes, waiting for Thariza to let go off them. "Though, admittedly finding a purpose in life is difficult, so perhaps I could give you a few suggestions. I myself, admittedly, found it pretty early in life, but I'm guessing you thought you had one, and it was taken from you?"
    "Few do, yes. So why did I?" Thariza asks, letting go of the notes. "I knew what I was doing in life. I was a proud soldier of the Iron Legion. But when I was made legionnaire, I let my warband to their deaths. I wandered off into the ruins of Ascalon to die. But I wound up here, somehow. I joined HALO so I could still serve. But after dying... it just no longer felt right."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"Very strict," Renault confirms. "I'll have to stabilize the crystals before making the black Crysteel, but that will make them safer to work with." The elf starts to dig around in his pack. "I'm going to make some tea to help me recover. Would you like some?" He wasn't sure if...whatever Arkangel was even ate or drank, but it was always polite to offer.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #67

Default [The Forge]

"I do not eat elven foods, nor would you enjoy mine. But thank you. I have other work at the forge in any case." Repairs to their armor, mostly. The heavy metal content of most tea is just too low for it to be palatable anymore. They wave Renault off and set to accomplish what can be accomplished in the time it takes tea to boil and be steeped and drunk.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Bonfire]

"Few do, yes. So why did I?" Thariza asks, letting go of the notes. "I knew what I was doing in life. I was a proud soldier of the Iron Legion. But when I was made legionnaire, I let my warband to their deaths. I wandered off into the ruins of Ascalon to die. But I wound up here, somehow. I joined HALO so I could still serve. But after dying... it just no longer felt right."
    [Bonfire]

Ambrosia folds the documents gently and puts them back into the tome. "So in a way, you've died twice, yet somehow you are still here. Curious. Both times, you also 'died' in battle..." She raises her gloved hand. "Not trying to say there is some greater pattern here, just making observations. However, perhaps you should try something different this time around. If you were raised a soldier, then you likely had to put any other interests aside. So why don't you see this as a chance to rediscover that side of yourself? That side that isn't devoted to what everyone else think you should do. Be selfish for once."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

"I can't really remember having interests other than fighting," Thariza admits. "I guess I was a model soldier. Trying to find something new is why I'm here. Well... not here, specifically. Just wandering. Dying and coming back seem to have left me with a connection to the Mists, so... I guess my priority is figuring it out."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

Renault sets himself up in an out of the way place and goes about making his tea. He has a small clay teapot and a flat round stone with runes around its rim. He pours some water from a skin into the pot and sets it on the stone to boil. Soon enough the water is hot and he takes a scoop of tea from a wooden box and allows it to steep. Renault likes his tea strong,so he lets it sit for a few minutes before pouring a serving of tea into a simple clay mug. He sits quietly and watches Arkangel make his repairs as he sips his tea.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Bonfire

The little man considers, then says: I'm not sure. Probably a vassal of this aforementioned hope goddess with a few adventurers that said, "High risk mission with little reward other than the knowledge that we did a good thing? Where do I sign up?"

I mean, I like doing good and whatnot, but does the whole 'justice is its own reward' have to be such an in your face attitude?
    The dwarf is very interested in this. "So yer sayin' some adventurers are fightin' some sort o' monster that puts up a threat to a so called hope goddess. They sound like some fine people." The dwarf then responds to the question. "'Justice is its own reward' is an in yet face attitude because ya can only say it when responding to someone."
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    The dwarf is very interested in this. "So yer sayin' some adventurers are fightin' some sort o' monster that puts up a threat to a so called hope goddess. They sound like some fine people." The dwarf then responds to the question. "'Justice is its own reward' is an in yet face attitude because ya can only say it when responding to someone."
    Bonfire

Some sort of device beeps in Doctor Jone's pocket.

Hold that thought.

He walks away and stares at some sort of glowing light.

His eyes go wide.

I apologize, we'll have to continue this later. I have business in Outside.

With that, he picks a shrunken head out from his pocket, says some weird incantation, and the head then grows and consumes Doctor Jones before it consumes itself.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

13. - Top - End - #73

Default [The Forge]

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    Renault sets himself up in an out of the way place and goes about making his tea. He has a small clay teapot and a flat round stone with runes around its rim. He pours some water from a skin into the pot and sets it on the stone to boil. Soon enough the water is hot and he takes a scoop of tea from a wooden box and allows it to steep. Renault likes his tea strong, so he lets it sit for a few minutes before pouring a serving of tea into a simple clay mug. He sits quietly and watches Arkangel make his repairs as he sips his tea.
    Arkangel removes the damaged patches of the outer layer1 of their armor and set them to heat. At a wave of their hand, the bellows come to life and start pumping air themselves. Then it's tongs and hammer, stopping regularly to feel the shape of the metal2. In time it's properly filled in and bent back into shape and the armor plates are doused in oil.

1 - There are other layers. The one below looks like a sort of mist.
    2 - with a heat-resistant power-gloved hand. Wouldn't want to get burned.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

Renault watches with fascination. He understood the basics of forging metal, but to see it at work was quite the learning experience. The way Arkangel felt the metal was especially interesting, though it was certainly not something Renault would try himself.

After a while, and a second cup of tea, Renault begins putting his tea set away.

"I think I can handle forging one more piece of white Crysteel." He says, "But then I will need at least a night's rest before we can continue."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #75

Default [The Forge]

Good as new!
    Well, once they cool, anyway.

"I can return tomorrow. Let's get to it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

And for a third time, the process repeats itself. At the end, Renault looks completely exhausted.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

17. - Top - End - #77

Default [The Forge]

"You should rest. Keeping the crystals stable has clearly taken a toll on you."
    Arkangel suggests, carefully stepping out of the magic circle.
    "In the meantime, I can begin shaping the white crysteel."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Forge]

"I'll leave you my staff, so you can fit the metal to it," Renault says. "And thank you for helping me with this." The elf bids Arkangel farewell until tomorrow and makes his way to the...

[Bonfire]

A tired looking desert elf wanders up to the bonfire and takes a seat nearby. He picks up one of the bone charms and examines it, curiously.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Bonfire]

"I can't really remember having interests other than fighting," Thariza admits. "I guess I was a model soldier. Trying to find something new is why I'm here. Well... not here, specifically. Just wandering. Dying and coming back seem to have left me with a connection to the Mists, so... I guess my priority is figuring it out."
    [Bonfire]

"Figuring out things can be a hobby in itself, or at least a goal." Ambrosia points out. "But, what exactly is this mist you keep mentioning, and what does it grant you?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

"The Mists are the afterlife where I come from," Thariza says. "There's ways of going there while alive, but I've never been there that way. And I have no idea what I did when I was dead. No one has ever come back from the Mists after dying, as far as I know. But it does seem to have given me new magic. As far as I can tell, I can reach into the Mists and invoke memories of famous dead people that linger there. I'm learning it as I go."

21. - Top - End - #81

[Bonfire]

"Afterlife? As in a physical location you go to where you die? Interesting. But am I correct to assume you would actually need to know things about these dead people then?" The scholar inquires.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

Thariza nods.

"I guess so. All I've got right now are... echoes that I remember from the other side. A demon, a dwarf king and Kalla Schorchrazor, a famous Charr. Of the three, I can tap into Kalla the best, because every Charr knows who she is." Her ears flick. "I wonder if there are people here I could tap into... I never thought about it."

23. - Top - End - #83

[Bonfire]

The scholar considers this. "Dead people, you mean? It is possible, though I honestly don't know much about the history of this place yet. But tell me a bit about what happens when you channel these 'memories'. What happens do you? Can you feel their presence inside of you?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

"You could call it that." Thariza's voice betrays some doubt. "It's more like I... reach out to them, rather than invite them in, though. I can hear their voice, and feel their strongest desires in life. The demon, whose name I can't remember, felt malice and spite. The dwarven king willingly turned himself, and all his people, to stone, so they could go and fight the Elder Fire Dragon below. And when I reach out to Kalla, I feel her anger when she freed us from the Flame Legion and their false gods."

25. - Top - End - #85

[Bonfire]

"Strong emotions felt by renowned people, imprints of famous events." Ambrosia summarizes. "I can't help but wonder what would happen if you visited a graveyard. Might be the best place to connect to such spirits, that or an old battlefield."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

"Maybe. To be honest, I've been avoiding such places for that very reason," Thariza admits. "The voices get too loud. I'd rather focus on the few that I can use."

27. - Top - End - #87

[Bonfire]

"Ah, that makes sense. I suppose the question is how curious you really are of your new powers. It also begs the question, are these voices strongest where peopled died, or where they were buried? It is the difference between a hospital and a graveyard." The scholar inquires.

28. - Top - End - #88

[Bonfire]

Fade steps up to the bonefire and looks around.
    "Strange place. What is it about?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

[Bonfire]

Thariza snorts.

"I wish I knew. This is all... mushy. The Mists care less about physical reality and more about resonance and symbolism, I know that much. And I haven't been to any hospitals since all this happened to me. I do want to know more, though. I don't want to use something I don't understand, and besides... I was recently persuaded to seek out new things in life. Or unlife, or whatever."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The dwarf warrior continues to look around for work. Anyone could notice the drinking fellow wandering about.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother