New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

Quote Originally Posted by ThatWizardGuy View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't really make it better. I am a Boy Scout and have tried it. Sure, it helps with the chafing, but your feet get soaked in sweat and shrivel up, which hurts almost as much, and for a longer period of time. I mean, you could buy moisture-wicking socks, but they cost a whole lot more.
    When I was breaking in my hiking boots (I have the kind for serious backpacking because I actually wear them for daily ankle support in lieu of medical ankle braces), I wore an outer layer of hiking socks with an inner layer of sock liners (which are basically really thin socks made for this specific purpose). I also taped my heels with duct tape and used anti-chafe stuff for runners over the duct tape. It was quite a process for a month or so (I was walking several miles a day in them at the time). Now that they're broken in, I just wear a single pair of hiking socks with them and it's fine even if I'm hiking all day. Buying all of those socks and sock liners was an investment, but I've found that good hiking socks last for over a year of once-a-week wear so over time it's less than it seems like it will be up front.

When I bought the second identical pair of boots a year later, I did at least get to satisfy my curiosity about whether it's the feet or the boots that really break in, though. It's the boots, and I got to go through the whole thing again with the second pair.

(Re-soling, however, is fine and does not require much in the way of a breaking-in period. I will not buy new boots until these two pairs disintegrate completely.)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThatWizardGuy View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't really make it better. I am a Boy Scout and have tried it. Sure, it helps with the chafing, but your feet get soaked in sweat and shrivel up, which hurts almost as much, and for a longer period of time. I mean, you could buy moisture-wicking socks, but they cost a whole lot more.
    Shriveled feet hurt? I must not have experienced true shriveling...

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You could also, and you'll call me crazy for suggesting it, but, you could also just not go hiking.
    "Have you tried turning your computer off and not turning it on again?"

ION:
    I'm using Firefox Developer Edition, because it was the first to have multithreading, and, well, I kept using it. However, the latest version completely remakes how plugins are made, and this means all old plugins are broken. This includes Greasemonkey, so now my Nallesmilies script isn't working, and wow did using custom smilies become a hassle. It doesn't help that Imgur doesn't handle albums of really small pictures either...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

So I have long felt that "Beyond the Fields I know", "There be Dragons" anyplace that is not within a days walk of a BART or Cal-Trans train station:

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    I lived in Santa Cruz CA for a few years and even there some people considered Oakland to be basically part of SF. Up here in Washington where I am now almost everyone thinks of Oakland as a part of SF. It might not be right but the idea is is pretty widespread once you get away from the Bay area.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Santa Cruz?

Washington?

There be Dragons!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I be dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'd say the odds are likely, the presence of big Dragons is why no BART or Cal-Trans trains stations have built down there, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    That's a shame. I like using the BART whenever I head up north. The thought they're deliberately excluding me is a little hurtful. I will sooth myself with the traditional Santa Cruz soothings, of being pretty queer, rolling around on a pile of gold, and eating free trade, organic artichokes roasted with our breath weapons.
    ...and most of this week when winds blow from the North, I smell smoke and see ash.

Dragons?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    "Have you tried turning your computer off and not turning it on again?"

ION:
    I'm using Firefox Developer Edition, because it was the first to have multithreading, and, well, I kept using it. However, the latest version completely remakes how plugins are made, and this means all old plugins are broken. This includes Greasemonkey, so now my Nallesmilies script isn't working, and wow did using custom smilies become a hassle. It doesn't help that Imgur doesn't handle albums of really small pictures either...
    Yeah I deserved that

...awe, I hope you can fix your bear faces soon, it was really cute.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Shriveled feet hurt?
    A lot. Then you lose feeling in your feet for 2-3 hours and then it hurts even more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

My thesis is killing me. Just wrote three-ish crappy pages and sent them to my supervisor.

This perfectionism thing isn't really helping me...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so my car got hit on my way to class. Front bumper on the passenger's side was twisted partway off, and we traded paint. Got his insurance info, license plate, and pictures of my car's damage.

Not a whole lot to say about it, honestly. Just needed to say it. Don't worry, I'm fine, just a little shaken.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    My thesis is killing me. Just wrote three-ish crappy pages and sent them to my supervisor.

This perfectionism thing isn't really helping me...
    God, I know the feeling. I've kinda stalled on my novel because of this feeling and work. You can do it Finn!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Okay, so my car got hit on my way to class. Front bumper on the passenger's side was twisted partway off, and we traded paint. Got his insurance info, license plate, and pictures of my car's damage.

Not a whole lot to say about it, honestly. Just needed to say it. Don't worry, I'm fine, just a little shaken.
    Glad to hear you're alright, and that it wasn't a huge amount of damage. Hoping the car's frame isn't damaged enough for it to be totaled!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

On Sunday night, I saw a real UFO. I'm not making this up. I even draw the Real UFO that I saw that night. Here's the video version of my drawing of the real UFO. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGnw08wtvU

11. - Top - End - #371
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You could also, and you'll call me crazy for suggesting it, but, you could also just not go hiking.
    Yeah, that's what I do, TBH.
    T R A N S
    R I G H T S
    A R E
    H U M A N
    R I G H T S
    - someone who knows what's up

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... I noticed something strange:

I learned the Bavarian dialect before I learned "Formal German".
    I learned both, the Venetian and Sicilian dialect before I learned "Formal Italian".
    Growing up next to an U.S. Army base, I picked up ... some sort of US English ... before learning "Oxford English" in school later on.

Never bothered to find out what "sort" it is, but people somehow tend to think I´m Irish from the way I speak english. Now the way I´ve learned "spoken english" is very close to my native Bavarian idiom (I ain´t done nothing wrong my whole life...), but as estranged to the written form.

That's very weird. Someone got a clue what english idiom I actually learned first?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    ....but people somehow tend to think I´m Irish from the way I speak english. Now the way I´ve learned "spoken english" is very close to my native Bavarian idiom....

A young man who worked the counter at "Red's Jsvs House" in San Francisco said he was from Germany but sounded "Irish" to me, others from Germany have sounded exactly like "Hollywood German" or had accents I couldn't place.

Maybe a Bavarian accent just sounds "Irish"?

But if I have to guess a "Hollywood German" accent, crossed with a Appalachian Mountains accent might sound "Irish" to me.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have been sitting on a mountain top for four days now. I have twenty to go. There are only five other people up here with me, one of whom I'm already almost fighting with. I think I might completely lose my mind. Oh well at least the views are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Growing up next to an U.S. Army base, I picked up ... some sort of US English ... before learning "Oxford English" in school later on.

Never bothered to find out what "sort" it is, but people somehow tend to think I´m Irish from the way I speak english. Now the way I´ve learned "spoken english" is very close to my native Bavarian idiom (I ain´t done nothing wrong my whole life...), but as estranged to the written form.

That's very weird. Someone got a clue what english idiom I actually learned first?
    The problem here is that people in the military come from all over the US. You would have gotten exposed to a bunch of different American dialects. Worst of all, the US military has its own weird way of talking, and this varies by branch. Here in the Marine Corps is the only place I've seen it acceptable to answer a question with "ERRRRRR", or to refer to certain kinds of legal punishment as a "ninja punch" . No doubt the Army also has its own idioms, though I'm not familiar with them. So basically, you got a strange mix of almost every American dialect that exists, sprinkled with the odd slang that comes with military culture.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

In case anyone was wondering

... okay so

I had a seizure last night, so now I'm in the hospital. Today I had an MRI that showed I've got a tumor in my head.

We don't know for sure yet if it's malignant or benign (currently they're thinking the latter) but either way I'm gonna need surgery to remove it and likely be here for a week or so for recovery. Surgery's Wednesday.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Hoping it goes well!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    I have been sitting on a mountain top for four days now. I have twenty to go. There are only five other people up here with me, one of whom I'm already almost fighting with. I think I might completely lose my mind. Oh well at least the views are nice.
    Okay, now I'm in equal parts curious and concerned. Exactly what strategic value does that mountain top have to warrant such hardships?

The problem here is that people in the military come from all over the US. You would have gotten exposed to a bunch of different American dialects. Worst of all, the US military has its own weird way of talking, and this varies by branch. Here in the Marine Corps is the only place I've seen it acceptable to answer a question with "ERRRRRR", or to refer to certain kinds of legal punishment as a "ninja punch" . No doubt the Army also has its own idioms, though I'm not familiar with them. So basically, you got a strange mix of almost every American dialect that exists, sprinkled with the odd slang that comes with military culture.
    Our military isn't particularly large, and more important, I've never been in it, so I can't speak about how language works inside of it (despite working for the defense industry). I did, however, grow up (and still live in) what could be considered the cooking pot of Swedish accents, and interestingly enough, that means I'm in the fairly unique position to be able to claim I speak Standard Swedish without anyone contesting me. It's actually pretty funny to see, because when I do so, people do want to contest me, but then realise they have no examples to bring up.

In case anyone was wondering

... okay so

I had a seizure last night, so now I'm in the hospital. Today I had an MRI that showed I've got a tumor in my head.

We don't know for sure yet if it's malignant or benign (currently they're thinking the latter) but either way I'm gonna need surgery to remove it and likely be here for a week or so for recovery. Surgery's Wednesday.
    Oh dear, that sounds scary! Here's hoping for a complication-free surgery and a swift recovery!

Show

18. - Top - End - #378

Okay, now I'm in equal parts curious and concerned. Exactly what strategic value does that mountain top have to warrant such hardships?
    I'm making sure that communications keep running. High places are good for that. So long as nothing goes wrong up here, I have nothing to do, so I've mostly been listening to audiobooks and doing some writing. And enjoying the gorgeous views. Hopefully the 110 kph winds don't come back. Now that really sucked.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

19. - Top - End - #379

confused Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

The backyard of my new house is like a giant Myst puzzle. So far, I've found two things that have both timers and switches involved, one of which the previous owner told me did not work so she apparently never figured out (cabana lights - she'd strung Christmas lights in the cabana because she could not get the built-in lights to work).

The "fun" part of the timer/switch combo is that they are generally not on the same panel or obviously related, so to figure this out you have to try flipping switches that do not appear to do anything, then either leave it that way and check back regularly to see if anything changed, or find something that might be a timer and play with it while the switch is on.

Next, I aspire to figure out how to turn on the water in the cabana. I suspect it's one of the forest of knobs under the sink in the utility room in the main house.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

I'm making sure that communications keep running. High places are good for that. So long as nothing goes wrong up here, I have nothing to do, so I've mostly been listening to audiobooks and doing some writing. And enjoying the gorgeous views. Hopefully the 110 kph winds don't come back. Now that really sucked.
    Well, at least for as long as we're talking electronic communications. Other infrastructure generally avoids mountain tops.

Do you have some kind of building up there, or do you live in a tent? Also, do you overlook a mountain range or lowlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    The backyard of my new house is like a giant Myst puzzle. So far, I've found two things that have both timers and switches involved, one of which the previous owner told me did not work so she apparently never figured out (cabana lights - she'd strung Christmas lights in the cabana because she could not get the built-in lights to work).

The "fun" part of the timer/switch combo is that they are generally not on the same panel or obviously related, so to figure this out you have to try flipping switches that do not appear to do anything, then either leave it that way and check back regularly to see if anything changed, or find something that might be a timer and play with it while the switch is on.

Next, I aspire to figure out how to turn on the water in the cabana. I suspect it's one of the forest of knobs under the sink in the utility room in the main house.
    Hehehe, this description is glorious!

ION:
    Strange as it may sound, I actually enjoy a little bit of hardship in my life. Yesterday, my bus broke down on my way home. It had been feeling jumpy whenever it accelerated, and it rapidly got worse, so after just a kilometer, it did some final shakes and came to a halt right at the mouth of a one-file bridge, just past a red light in a slight incline. Without knowing too much about busses, I suspect the transmission broke down, as the engine kept running afterward, it just failed to provide any power to the wheels. The bus driver tried to use the slope to roll back down from the bridge an let the meeting traffic through, but unfortunately, he was in an a bit too sharp turn, and managed to hit a traffic sign, which bent under the bus until it wedged itself stuck under one of the wheels, just a metre before the gap would be wide enough to let cars through.

Luckily for me, this somewhat strange bridge also serves as the entrance to the closest train station (that's part of the reason why it's but a single file), so after we got let off the bus, I just had to walk a hundred metres to catch the train which just happened to roll in a minute later. Better yet, this train would normally be two minutes too late for me to transfer over to the train back to Uppsala I was aiming for, but that train happened to be three minutes late, so I actually made the transfer. Now, this train in turn got even more delayed, so I got back to Uppsala ten minutes later than normal, and I had to stand for most of the journey too, but given the circumstances, that barely even felt like a bother. And when I finally got back home, I actually felt a bit invigorated by it all.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2017-10-25 at 12:30 AM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm back from my time off in this forum because of my friends situation that I posted in Personal Woes and Advice 5 a few days ago.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so earlier today I had brain surgery to remove a mass from my head. (Since it would have been just as invasive to get a biopsy). We won't know what kind of mass for a few days, but I've been recovering well, at least

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so earlier today I had brain surgery to remove a mass from my head. (Since it would have been just as invasive to get a biopsy). We won't know what kind of mass for a few days, but I've been recovering well, at least

Wow!

Now that's a small talk ending answer to "How are you doing?", that you may keep in your quiver!

I hope you're soon well and stay well!

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Not having had any experience with brain surgery, I was surprised to see you posting within 24h of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Not having had any experience with brain surgery, I was surprised to see you posting within 24h of it.
    I don't remember what precisely this form of surgery is called (meni something?) But apparently worst case scenario was that I would lose feeling in my right side and have trouble speaking for 72 hours. Which didn't happen.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Hypothetical over-the-top romance thingy
    Show
    "They say that your heart beats faster when you see someone you truly love.
    They also say it only has so many total beats, and that when it runs out, you die. If these were true, being with you would take decades off my life... but be worth every minute."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #387

BlackDragon

I don't remember what precisely this form of surgery is called (meni something?)
    Was the tumour a meningioma? If so, it means it was growing from the meninges (the membrane covering the brain) rather than the brain itself, so would presumably be easier to get at. Anyway, fingers crossed that the tests come back good and you don't have anything to worry about going forward!

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: Hypothetical over-the-top romance thingy
    Show
    "They say that your heart beats faster when you see someone you truly love. They also say it only has so many total beats, and that when it runs out, you die. If these were true, being with you would take decades off my life... but be worth every minute."
    Could've sworn I saw this a week or two ago... Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, maybe?
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Was the tumour a meningioma? If so, it means it was growing from the meninges (the membrane covering the brain) rather than the brain itself, so would presumably be easier to get at. Anyway, fingers crossed that the tests come back good and you don't have anything to worry about going forward!
    Something like that, yeah. I'm having trouble putting words together. Hard part's over.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #390

Well, at least for as long as we're talking electronic communications. Other infrastructure generally avoids mountain tops.

Do you have some kind of building up there, or do you live in a tent? Also, do you overlook a mountain range or lowlands?
    I live under cammie netting. As for the view, in some directions I look out at flat desert, in some I see mountains, and in some I see both. I'd post pictures, but my reception up here is garbage and I have a hard time uploading photos from my phone.

ION: I have little to do up here, so I've taken to writing a commentary on one of the books I brought up here, the Tao Te Ching. This would be a fine way to pass the time if it weren't for the fact that the translation I bought is...bad. If you've ever read the Tao Te Ching, you'll know that it can be cryptic enough on its own without a bad translator fouling it up. I can look up superior versions online, but cell phone reception here is dodgy, so sometimes I need to wait an hour before I can google a single thing. It is a tedious process. 17 verses down, 64 more to go. *sigh*
    - St. Thomas Aquinas