New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

Or the other saying that if your program works perfectly the first time, you did something wrong.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it okay to link to an online story I'm writing from a new thread in Media, or do I need to use Arts and Crafts exclusively? A&C doesn't get much traffic...
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody I got an interesting question. I know that Halloween is over but I have a question that related to Halloween. Can seasonal costumes such as Santa Claus count as a Halloween costumes?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody I got an interesting question. I know that Halloween is over but I have a question that related to Halloween. Can seasonal costumes such as Santa Claus count as a Halloween costumes?
    Since there's no particular requirement of "Halloween costume" apart from being a costume, at least that I've heard... sure. Great for bothering all the people annoyed by the way the Christmas season keeps getting marketed earlier in the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #455
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    All costumes are appropriate for Halloween.

Also I have a new poll up on which game to LP next, woo: http://www.strawpoll.me/14392502

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Been pretty sick the past couple of weeks, with ups and downs, so I've had to call off work a couple of times. Did so today and I think (the person who took the call had a pretty heavy accent and the phone connection was kind of garbled) I should expect to be reprimanded or something for too many call-offs when I next come in.

Guess they'd prefer I zombie-shuffle into work and sneeze on every customer who passes by? I get wanting to discourage spotty attendance but I can't help being sick, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Been pretty sick the past couple of weeks, with ups and downs, so I've had to call off work a couple of times. Did so today and I think (the person who took the call had a pretty heavy accent and the phone connection was kind of garbled) I should expect to be reprimanded or something for too many call-offs when I next come in.

Guess they'd prefer I zombie-shuffle into work and sneeze on every customer who passes by? I get wanting to discourage spotty attendance but I can't help being sick, you know.
    The ultimate problem here is that stores tend to want a sick leave notice from the doctor because they hate losing the manpower. It's stupid and I'm completely on your side, but that's why they do it.

Also, I kinda want to post the first chapter of my book for Nanowrimo I'm just not sure where to do it, or if it'd be a good idea.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

One of our dogs used to drag the cat around by the head, and the cat let him.

They're silly animals...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The ultimate problem here is that stores tend to want a sick leave notice from the doctor because they hate losing the manpower. It's stupid and I'm completely on your side, but that's why they do it.

Also, I kinda want to post the first chapter of my book for Nanowrimo I'm just not sure where to do it, or if it'd be a good idea.
    I'd say it's not a good idea as NaNoWriMo is about writing a book, from scratch. Submitting a pre-written novel is both kind of cheating and not the point of the excercise.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I'd say it's not a good idea as NaNoWriMo is about writing a book, from scratch. Submitting a pre-written novel is both kind of cheating and not the point of the excercise.
    Also if your first chapter is 50,000 words long you've done something wrong.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I got great news. My friend is back on Facebook. The one I talk about on the Personal Woes And Advice thread which I post a few weeks ago. I'm so happy.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Also if your first chapter is 50,000 words long you've done something wrong.
    Or you're writing a long book. What's wrong with it? Because my first chapter is 69 000 words long (nice).

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Or you're writing a long book. What's wrong with it? Because my first chapter is 69 000 words long (nice).
    Well, as long as the chapter is organized into chapters...

Wait.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Zodi, 50k words is long enough to be a full novel of its own (hence why that's the target for Nanowrimo)

It is way too gorram long for a single chapter, let alone chapter one
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Zodi, 50k words is long enough to be a full novel of its own (hence why that's the target for Nanowrimo)

It is way too gorram long for a single chapter, let alone chapter one
    NEVERMIND I was using Wordcounter wrong, first chapter is 3445 words, the BOOK ENTIRELY is 69 000 words. RIP me.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

NEVERMIND I was using Wordcounter wrong, first chapter is 3445 words, the BOOK ENTIRELY is 69 000 words. RIP me.
    Don't worry. If it worked perfectly/how we wanted it to every time, it wouldn't be 'technology' any more.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Don't worry. If it worked perfectly/how we wanted it to every time, it wouldn't be 'technology' any more.
    Computers do exactly what they're told 99% of the time. Most problems arise when you're actually telling the computer to do something other than what you intend (either due to input error or a difference between your expectations and the code).
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Computers do exactly what they're told 99% of the time. Most problems arise when you're actually telling the computer to do something other than what you intend (either due to input error or a difference between your expectations and the code).
    Note I said 'how we wanted it to'. They need to stop being so dang literal.

(I mean, at least you know if something's gone wrong, it is your fault.)

19. - Top - End - #469

I get this, I understand this, I even know why it is.

But I have less than zero patience for this and get unduly angry every time it happens.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

I get this, I understand this, I even know why it is.

But I have less than zero patience for this and get unduly angry every time it happens.
    Have you considered not telling your computer to do things you don't want it to do?
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Have you considered not telling your computer to do things you don't want it to do?
    Reminder that in order to make my 3DS recorder work, after it stopped working for no reason discernable at all, I need to force my computer to think a window is loading.

My problem is not the inability or ability to tell the computer what to do, it's I tell the computer to do the thing it's always done and suddenly it doesn't work again and I have to impliment some sort of dark arcane wizardry to make it work.

It's like when I try to buy anything from Sony's e-store and they tell me five billion times that it won't go through and it only works after I delete and reinput the info ten times and by the time I get the game I want I'd rather pitch my bed through a window.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

I have to impliment some sort of dark arcane wizardry to make it work.
    Well, great. You're 90% of the way to being a Computer Scientist.
    (The other 10% is knowing how to steal other code and weld it together.)

23. - Top - End - #473

Well, great. You're 90% of the way to being a Computer Scientist.
    (The other 10% is knowing how to steal other code and weld it together.)
    I didn't even invent this thing! My friend who is a programmer (that narrows it down badumtish) made it for me, and said that he feels like he created a cancer. He despises this bit of shell ordering.

While($true) { $i++ }

That is the whole thing. I plug this into the Powershell and my 3DS recorder just works perfectly. Everything else takes forever to load but that doesn't matter.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't even invent this thing! My friend who is a programmer (that narrows it down badumtish) made it for me, and said that he feels like he created a cancer. He despises this bit of shell ordering.

While($true) { $i++ }

That is the whole thing. I plug this into the Powershell and my 3DS recorder just works perfectly. Everything else takes forever to load but that doesn't matter.
    I... what?

I'm not even going to question it. Sometimes, if you question things, they stop working. (I mean, I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but I'll be darned if I know what it is. So, black magic indeed.)

And, to be fair, it is really a cancer in the truest sense of the word. It just keep growing, and it's really hard to kill without killing the whole program. So, he's pretty accurate on that front.

25. - Top - End - #475

I... what?

I'm not even going to question it. Sometimes, if you question things, they stop working. (I mean, I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but I'll be darned if I know what it is. So, black magic indeed.)

And, to be fair, it is really a cancer in the truest sense of the word. It just keep growing, and it's really hard to kill without killing the whole program. So, he's pretty accurate on that front.
    He compared it to specifically whale cancer, because whales when they get tumors naturally develop cancer because that kills the tumor. Also themselves.

Also I'm glad every programmer I've shown this to has had the same and yet completely different baffled response of utter confusion.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

He compared it to specifically whale cancer, because whales when they get tumors naturally develop cancer because that kills the tumor. Also themselves.
    Huh. Didn't know that. Interesting.

Also I'm glad every programmer I've shown this to has had the same and yet completely different baffled response of utter confusion.
    Glad to be of amusement.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

And then you go into parallel programming and pretty much all rules are off the table. I mean, if you run the following code in two threads at the same time...
    Code:
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
        (*addr)++;
    }
    ... you could end up with a value of 2 stored at addr!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huzzah. On the topic that we left off on...

I both like and don't like my new job. Lotta walking, lotta "my feet are flat and it feels like my calve bones are gonna burst from my legs" feeling, but overall actually good?
    Have you been checked for Planer faciitus? I have it in both feet.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Huzzah. On the topic that we left off on...

I both like and don't like my new job. Lotta walking, lotta "my feet are flat and it feels like my calve bones are gonna burst from my legs" feeling, but overall actually good?
    Get nicer insoles, they definitely help, made my life so much better.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Get nicer insoles, they definitely help, made my life so much better.
    I will second this as I use gel arch insoles that make life a whole world better!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here