New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Do you think a pokemon game you have might be a fun intro? I liked Moon and it kept my attention well though the beginning is so very slow and hand holdy.
    I don't think ORAS or XY managed the same with their story.
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with ORAS - it felt like such a step back from Emerald - but, despite some of the handholdiness of Moon, I really enjoyed the story. I think that it would be a fine introduction to the series. (Now if I could just get my EXP Share back as a held item...)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with ORAS - it felt like such a step back from Emerald - but, despite some of the handholdiness of Moon, I really enjoyed the story. I think that it would be a fine introduction to the series. (Now if I could just get my EXP Share back as a held item...)
    What? No, the way EXP now is superior in every regard. The hold item is bad.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was about to try Dwarf Fortress, but someone said it was the dire half-dragon version of Rimworld and I didn't enjoy Rimworld too much, so.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What? No, the way EXP now is superior in every regard. The hold item is bad.
    That's the problem. It is superior in every regard. Getting 350% EXP for every battle just makes things too easy (though, it is nice when trying to fill out the 'Dex), but I like being able to raise weak things without excessive switching (plus the 50%/50% meant my primary 'Mon wouldn't get too far ahead of everything else). In an ideal world, there would be the option to turn it on/off, or to give it to a single 'Mon, in order to let it act as the old one.

(Though, to be absolutely fair, it is fun at times to just have your team be overleveled enough to crush everything in your path. I've become less concerned about that, and just gone along with it, ever since I have the Tabletop to scratch the Pokémon itch of more in-depth stuff. And make me worry about actually losing battles. ) People should join us. The community's always looking for more people. Links are in my signature, plug, plug.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

As long as you're happy with doing it, seems like good enough reason to me. I know when I was much younger, I liked painting my fingernails mostly just because of the feeling of the process, even though the odds of getting out of the house and anyone seeing it? Basically near zero.
    My nephew has taken the habit of biting his nails from my sister (tut tut) and of course cutting nails is a discussed topic in a household with a kid his age and my toddler nephew. So whenever I go see them and have longer nails, he starts to question me with a stern voice: Why are your nails so long? Why have you not cut them?!. However, most of these times I'm also wearing nail varnish. He's been intrigued by my nails for years, and as it turns out, about a year ago he got his own nail polish (in the past it's always been mine). So, the last time I was over, he asked me to paint his nails. And so we did! I feel like I'm almost always the one painting his nails... lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    My nephew has taken the habit of biting his nails from my sister (tut tut) and of course cutting nails is a discussed topic in a household with a kid his age and my toddler nephew. So whenever I go see them and have longer nails, he starts to question me with a stern voice: Why are your nails so long? Why have you not cut them?!. However, most of these times I'm also wearing nail varnish. He's been intrigued by my nails for years, and as it turns out, about a year ago he got his own nail polish (in the past it's always been mine). So, the last time I was over, he asked me to paint his nails. And so we did! I feel like I'm almost always the one painting his nails... lol.
    Yeah, I'd also had the habit of biting my nails, though mostly after I'd stopped regularly polishing my nails. Took years to get out of that...

Always nice to have bonding opportunities, though. Or, at least they were nice considering what I can remember from the other end of the spectrum... my chances for empirical evidence as the older one have been immensely limited. Due to the parts of my family that want to actually have children either A) their kids are around my age, B) living far away, and we don't really visit or C) basically disowning the rest of the family.

7. - Top - End - #127

That's the problem. It is superior in every regard. Getting 350% EXP for every battle just makes things too easy (though, it is nice when trying to fill out the 'Dex), but I like being able to raise weak things without excessive switching (plus the 50%/50% meant my primary 'Mon wouldn't get too far ahead of everything else). In an ideal world, there would be the option to turn it on/off, or to give it to a single 'Mon, in order to let it act as the old one.

(Though, to be absolutely fair, it is fun at times to just have your team be overleveled enough to crush everything in your path. I've become less concerned about that, and just gone along with it, ever since I have the Tabletop to scratch the Pokémon itch of more in-depth stuff. And make me worry about actually losing battles. ) People should join us. The community's always looking for more people. Links are in my signature, plug, plug.
    Guess this shows my type of strategy but even with EXP share on I always feel underleveled in the newer games. Barely winning the harder fights in a fair but challenging environment.

That's super adorable.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Guess this shows my type of strategy but even with EXP share on I always feel underleveled in the newer games. Barely winning the harder fights in a fair but challenging environment.
    I guess it, in part, just depends on what you do. I slowly, methodically, will go through everything, and tend to fight everyone. I never had a risk of losing in the most recent 3 games until getting to the League. (Except for the frickin' Battle Royale facility. You get the one appropriately leveled battle, and then bam. If you try to go in, you're thrown against, with zero warning, post-endgame optimized stuff. And you aren't even allowed to forfeit. You just need to watch as you get beaten to a pulp, by opponents utilizing things you, at that point, won't even know exist if you've never played before. That is the most irritated I have gotten at a game for some time, because it's just incredibly stupid game design. But I digress.) But, yeah, I can see that it's a tough thing to balance.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-08-10 at 02:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    I was about to try Dwarf Fortress, but someone said it was the dire half-dragon version of Rimworld and I didn't enjoy Rimworld too much, so.
    That's an entirely reasonable assessment, although, to be fair, Dwarf Fortress came out a long time before Rimworld did, so it's probably truer to say Rimworld is a cut-down version of DF with nicer graphics. Although, what was it about Rimworld you didn't particularly enjoy? It might be something that works differently in DF.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's an entirely reasonable assessment, although, to be fair, Dwarf Fortress came out a long time before Rimworld did, so it's probably truer to say Rimworld is a cut-down version of DF with nicer graphics. Although, what was it about Rimworld you didn't particularly enjoy? It might be something that works differently in DF.
    "Nicer graphics"?! Oh, pfft! Dorf Fort graphics are some true art. And I'm not even joking. It's glorious. I want a t-shirt out of my fort.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

It is possible to turn it off. It was the first thing I did when I got it, because having appropriately levelled Pokémon in your party despite them never having seen battle for the last ten or so levels feels like major cheese to me. Plus, I'm exactly as methodical as you, and that alone was enough to put me 20 levels above everything else back in X, so I didn't feel the need to make it any easier for me in Moon, even after I realised they had turned up the difficulty in this game. It actually made some battles hard enough that I had to use items to win.

(Except for the frickin' Battle Royale facility. You get the one appropriately leveled battle, and then bam. If you try to go in, you're thrown against, with zero warning, post-endgame optimized stuff. And you aren't even allowed to forfeit. You just need to watch as you get beaten to a pulp, by opponents utilizing things you, at that point, won't even know exist if you've never played before. That is the most irritated I have gotten at a game for some time, because it's just incredibly stupid game design. But I digress.)
    Yeah, introducing Battle Royals in the early mid game was a pretty evil move. Even with an endgame (non-optimised) team, clearing more than one battle can be extremely challenging, and then you at least won't be stuck with sub-50 Pokémon with half-terrible moves...

"Nicer graphics"?! Oh, pfft! Dorf Fort graphics are some true art. And I'm not even joking. It's glorious. I want a t-shirt out of my fort.
    While I agree, I'd still say most of that art is the art of ingenuity in finding symbols to represent different items, and most of the rest is how it paints a picture of void for your imagination to fill with dorfish glory.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    It is possible to turn it off. It was the first thing I did when I got it, because having appropriately levelled Pokémon in your party despite them never having seen battle for the last ten or so levels feels like major cheese to me. Plus, I'm exactly as methodical as you, and that alone was enough to put me 20 levels above everything else back in X, so I didn't feel the need to make it any easier for me in Moon, even after I realised they had turned up the difficulty in this game. It actually made some battles hard enough that I had to use items to win.
    Yeah, I know you can turn it off.
    It just becomes a pain for me whenever you want to raise something low leveled, because having to swap things out to level them up is annoying. (And that happened a lot for me, because I went in blind, so every route tended to be a 'ooh, I want that'... and then cue raising it up to use in battle, only to discover, no I didn't want that.) And having to toggle it on and off is something that easily slips my mind, so I have it on the position I don't want for too long. That's a personal fault, though, I suppose. (It really shouldn't default to the 'on' position, though.)

Yeah, introducing Battle Royals in the early mid game was a pretty evil move. Even with an endgame (non-optimised) team, clearing more than one battle can be extremely challenging, and then you at least won't be stuck with sub-50 Pokémon with half-terrible moves...
    That was just the most mind-boggling thing I've ever seen in a game. At least other facilities told you upfront "no, you need to beat the game to come here". Or, at the very least, told you the rules of the mode beforehand, so you didn't assume they were all the same level as your test. Like... that seems to hit every 'to not do' checkmark.
    (Though, I also got annoyed when they removed the ability to look in trash cans - even though there wasn't a single one with anything in them in X - and especially the doors. I kept ramming my poor character's face into them because you had to press A to go through doors. )

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I used to play Pokémon Red and Blue back in 1999 And it's a very hard game. I didn't buy any other version of it after that.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

There is this old incident that has haunted me because it was a very awkward situation. I would like to share it and perhaps discuss it.

Some time ago I noticed that one of the students of my university was looking for ethnic female gamers for an interview. She wanted to write a BA thesis on ethnic ("colored" and "non-white" would be a more exact terms here) female gamers and their... I don't remember... life as female gamers in general. I think was the topic. Something like that. I didn't know her personally but she was so active in gamer communities that I learned about her research that way. I found it interesting.

Later on I saw at the cafeteria and I asked if I could sit there. I told her that I had seen her posts on Facebook roleplaying groups and I asked her about her study. We started to talk about gaming, ethnicity, feminism/women and the perception of race in different countries. Mostly we talked about race. It was a good chat and we agreed on most things but some matters required more conversation for us to see eye to eye. She seemed comfortable with the conversation. I was a bit sad to hear that her study hadn't progressed too well because my country doesn't have an abundance of non-white women and they don't seem to play games or at least don't want to talk about it.

HOWEVER... People who sat with us were very, very, very uncomfortable. Imagine the face a person that is shocked and deeply uncomfortable, and then you can imagine the faces of everyone around us. Suddenly I understood that everyone had stopped talking and were just listening to us. It felt pretty bad. The thing was that I'm a white male and my fellow student was a black woman. I felt worried that I had done something wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Does any of you have any guess what was going on? I'm worried that the incident might reflect poorly on me in terms of social interaction.

(Once again I didn't notice the new thread)

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

Problem is, without knowing exactly what you said it's kind of hard to say why your companions would be looking horrified. Have you spoken to the lady in question since that incident?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Problem is, without knowing exactly what you said it's kind of hard to say why your companions would be looking horrified. Have you spoken to the lady in question since that incident?
    No, I haven't seen her. It's a big university. Some guys I see quite often, some rarely, some almost never. It just goes like that.

Well, let me see... I said that I liked her research topic, I asked about it, then I said that unfortunately my D&D group has nothing but white males in it, and I said that I think that my gaming style (since I'm the DM) might not be what female players generally prefer. She questioned me for making too broad generalizations regarding women but we talked it over and it was ok. Then I said that I could help her and arrange non-white gamer women for her interviews (for her BA thesis) but I said that they would be Brazilian and speak limited English. I don't remember what she said, but she did say that she would like to visit Brazil and she explained me why. I thought that she had a wrong idea about the country and I was quite honest about it. She apparently found a bit shocking but that was ok. Then we discussed about the perception of race and I explained her how self-identification works in Brazil and she found it interesting. She spoke about her own identity as an Afro-European (is that even a word?) and that was it. She seemed content with the conversation.

17. - Top - End - #137

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    she did say that she would like to visit Brazil and she explained me why. I thought that she had a wrong idea about the country and I was quite honest about it. She apparently found a bit shocking but that was ok.
    Well, wasn't that the same moment that her companions started to react in the way they did? If the woman herself found what you said shocking, seems reasonable to suppose that her companions felt similarly.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, wasn't that the same moment that her companions started to react in the way they did? If the woman herself found what you said shocking, seems reasonable to suppose that her companions felt similarly.
    Difficult to say, really, since I noticed the reaction of others later on, but you could be right! I think that makes perfect sense, actually! Thank you :)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Difficult to say, really, since I noticed the reaction of others later on, but you could be right! I think that makes perfect sense, actually! Thank you :)
    That´s something I noticed to be especially common with university students. The moment you talk about how things really are, not how they ought to be or how we wish them to be, the reaction is stunned silence and disbelief.

For you, it´s Brazil. For me, it´s knowing some of the darker corners of Germany, along with some extensive work/management knowledge of Vietnam, Syria and South Korea.

It shatters their believes telling how things really are.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    ...the reaction is stunned silence and disbelief...

I sometimes try to get that reaction just to get out of chit-chatting.

Someone trying to be friendly: "How was your day?"

Me: "I pulled hair out of a drain in the autopsy room."

Someone trying to be friendly: " ........"

Works like a charm!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I sometimes try to get that reaction just to get out of chit-chatting.

Someone trying to be friendly: "How was your day?"

Me: "I pulled hair out of a drain in the autopsy room."

Someone trying to be friendly: " ........"

Works like a charm!
    Someone trying to be friendly: "Was it tasty?"

:P
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Today while I was on my way at work. I went to the train station to get the train to go to work. Until I saw a major car accident. The car was completely totaled. It severely damage the train station gate. There was so many police officers and people over at the car accident. I didn't see any victims during the car accident. I hope that the victims are ok? So I walk a few blocks to take the train at another train station. Wow it was scary.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. Am. I. Bad. At. Managing. My. Sleep.

Yesterday was supposed to be the day when I went to bed early to catch up on some of the sleep I've been losing in the previous days, but noooo. Despite making sure I didn't start up any surefire time traps (i.e. Civilization) and keeping good record of the time, I still somehow managed to overshoot my bedtime by 3-4 hours. Always being alert in the evening is a quite useful trait, except when you have a job for which you have to get up at 5 in the morning...

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

Oh geez...

Wow. Am. I. Bad. At. Managing. My. Sleep.

Yesterday was supposed to be the day when I went to bed early to catch up on some of the sleep I've been losing in the previous days, but noooo. Despite making sure I didn't start up any surefire time traps (i.e. Civilization) and keeping good record of the time, I still somehow managed to overshoot my bedtime by 3-4 hours. Always being alert in the evening is a quite useful trait, except when you have a job for which you have to get up at 5 in the morning...
    Ah, super lame. I sort of have the same issue atm. I'm having to get up at 6AM atm and am feeling super tired always on work days as a result. X.x

I think I've less issues with consistent bed times, though there have been a couple of times I've stayed up a little too late because damnit I have to finish this one thing and then been almost completely non-functional the next day if it's between work days.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

Always being alert in the evening is a quite useful trait, except when you have a job for which you have to get up at 5 in the morning...
    People have different natural rhythms. For me, even when I'm holiday I'm generally in bed by 11 and will get up around 6-7am. My mother, on the other hand, isn't usually asleep before 2am and gets up around 9. Sounds like you're more like her than me, so having a job where you have to be up at 5am probably doesn't suit you!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

Let's just say that the Soylent Green marketing is misleading.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Ah, super lame. I sort of have the same issue atm. I'm having to get up at 6AM atm and am feeling super tired always on work days as a result. X.x

I think I've less issues with consistent bed times, though there have been a couple of times I've stayed up a little too late because damnit I have to finish this one thing and then been almost completely non-functional the next day if it's between work days.
    I'm a little too good at handling poor sleep myself. Even those days when I go to work thinking I'll be completely non-functional, I tend to get stuff done.

People have different natural rhythms. For me, even when I'm holiday I'm generally in bed by 11 and will get up around 6-7am. My mother, on the other hand, isn't usually asleep before 2am and gets up around 9. Sounds like you're more like her than me, so having a job where you have to be up at 5am probably doesn't suit you!
    True, but most employers aren't willing to let you drop in at 11 without at least a good excuse.

Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

I do not understand my work vision benefits.

Contact lenses are covered. You may get either 1 pair of glasses or 1 order of contacts per year covered. An order of monthly wear contacts covers 2 boxes, at 6 lenses per box.

Does anyone sense a math problem here?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    I do not understand my work vision benefits.

Contact lenses are covered. You may get either 1 pair of glasses or 1 order of contacts per year covered. An order of monthly wear contacts covers 2 boxes, at 6 lenses per box.

Does anyone sense a math problem here?
    I'm bad at math and still a little tired so I'm going to say yes and then kinda shuffle back to let others explain it.

Also the real math problem is using contacts at all. Free glasses every year is immediately a better offer given how long they last.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-08-24 at 10:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm bad at math and still a little tired so I'm going to say yes and then kinda shuffle back to let others explain it.

Also the real math problem is using contacts at all. Free glasses every year is immediately a better offer given how long they last.
    2 boxes of 6 lenses is 12 lenses per year, but what you actually need is 12 pairs of lenses.
    A few odds and ends.