New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

Spoiler: Mario plus Rabbids
    Show

I can't believe they did a cuss in Mario. This happens (at least) two more times.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

I can't believe they did a cuss in Mario. This happens (at least) two more times.
    I was more surprised that they actually allowed a weapon to be called "Hell in a Shell". (Especially when "heck" is used in conversation a little bit later.) I did a double take when I saw that in a video.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Lets be fair here. It's practically unbelievable that the game exists in the first place, and for any level of detail you look at it in, there's probably at least one more unbelievable thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Discoveries:

"Sahara" and "Gobi" both mean desert. "Nile", "Indus", and "Danube" all mean river. "Tigris" and "Rhine" mean running water. "Rio Grande" and "Mississippi" both mean big river.

I feel like people aren't always very creative.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

If a language arises in a sufficiently contained area that it only has one real example of a thing, sure. You only need a word for "river" different from the word for "specifically that river" when you've got two of them. Mountains tend to come in ranges, but I bet there's plenty of languages/cultures where "volcano", "lake", and/or "ocean" are all the name of a specific thing as well as their kinds. Maybe also "plateau".

I mean, have you looked at typical town-names named in English for towns established recently enough that English hasn't shifted? People haven't gotten any more creative with that stuff. They just get more specific, and then when the language shifts or foreigners move in, that masks it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Discoveries:

"Sahara" and "Gobi" both mean desert. "Nile", "Indus", and "Danube" all mean river. "Tigris" and "Rhine" mean running water. "Rio Grande" and "Mississippi" both mean big river.

I know this one's fictional, but "Skund" means "Your finger, you fool!"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Two days in a row of over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in San Francisco!

I've never remembered any time it's been this hot, this long.

And I just looked it up and found that it really hasn't ever been this hot before!

I hate climate change!

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Two days in a row of over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in San Francisco!

I've never remembered any time it's been this hot, this long.

And I just looked it up and found that it really hasn't ever been this hot before!

I hate climate change!

I too hate the weather.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    If a language arises in a sufficiently contained area that it only has one real example of a thing, sure. You only need a word for "river" different from the word for "specifically that river" when you've got two of them. Mountains tend to come in ranges, but I bet there's plenty of languages/cultures where "volcano", "lake", and/or "ocean" are all the name of a specific thing as well as their kinds. Maybe also "plateau".

I mean, have you looked at typical town-names named in English for towns established recently enough that English hasn't shifted? People haven't gotten any more creative with that stuff. They just get more specific, and then when the language shifts or foreigners move in, that masks it.
    Yeah, true. I understand many tribe names are also just the word for "people", and then someone else came in and heard that word and called them that.

Rio Grande doesn't have any excuse though.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I too hate the weather.

The news reports of your area's "weather events" are frightening.

Take care, and be well.

-Good luck HT

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's already September and the weather changes very quick.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-09-02 at 09:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

two of my players couldn't make it on Friday for my usual D&D 3.5 group, so i spontaneously decided to do a GURPS adventure. i like GURPS. anyone else like GURPS? GURPS is fantastic. my friend tries out all these weird systems like Fantasy Age though. i invited him to come online again, as he used to be a member of GIANTITP but hasn't been online in awhile.
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember when Amidus actually kept up with RB instead of popping in every once in a while and disappearing?
    Pepperidge farm remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

I mean, TTYD had some pretty suggestive parts in it, so I don't think it's too far out, but I guess it's a little surprising.

Discoveries:

Well, at least you can't call them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I too hate the weather.
    Weather here is always bad, though I think you've got us beat at the present moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodkill View Post
    two of my players couldn't make it on Friday for my usual D&D 3.5 group, so i spontaneously decided to do a GURPS adventure. i like GURPS. anyone else like GURPS? GURPS is fantastic. my friend tries out all these weird systems like Fantasy Age though. i invited him to come online again, as he used to be a member of GIANTITP but hasn't been online in awhile.
    GURPS is one of those systems I've been meaning to try out for a while, but haven't actually gotten around to (along with Eclipse Phase, Paranoia, and CoC). Tell us some about the game you had!

--
    ION:

Stream of consciousness incoming

Oh boy. Lots of stuff from the past couple of weeks. Moved home. Spent a lot of time with my grandmother. She's raising monarch butterflies right now. There's a few ready to be released at the moment. Drove down to Sweetwater, TN to see the eclipse - that was awesome. Words just aren't enough to describe it (or are they?); it's really the sort of thing that you want to experience. I met a lot of cool folks down there (and grabbed dinner with an old guy from Baltimore (and his dog) and a young couple from Rhode Island - they were great). Traffic on the way home, however, I could've done without.

Moved back to school. Class schedule is wonderful (two online classes and everything else back-to-back T/R 1100-1530), work schedule is interesting. We're incredibly short-staffed right now (so I'm working extra shifts), and everything is breaking. I stayed about an hour later than I'd have preferred to tonight, but hey, that's more money in my pocket. Got to train a new person - she stuck around just as late as I did, and did a lot of great work. Hopefully she doesn't quit - I don't think we've got a particularly high attrition rate for new hires, but tonight was especially awful, so...... you know.

New roommates are always interesting. One of the guys I live with I never see; I think he gets up really early. Everyone's pretty chill, at least. I've recently acquired a Switch. Been playing a lot of BotW - a friend of mine got a Switch and the same game around the same time, but I've got a feeling I'm going to finish it before her. I've tried to stay mostly unspoiled (and I'll probably drop this line of thought so I don't spoil anything for anyone else), but I've definitely come across some stuff in-game that I've heard about outside (by which I mean on the internet).

Haven't had the time to write much in the line of new music lately - while I was home, I ironed out a few bits of an old song me and a few friends have been working on intermittently for the past few years - but I haven't worked on anything since. I've recently acquired an MXR Blue Box octave/fuzz pedal. It absolutely destroys whatever signal you send to it, and if you feed it an already distorted signal it'll get confused and jump around between octaves, which has a really glitchy aesthetic. The sound is absolutely filthy, and I love it.

Might be participating in an IRL Fate/Stay Night-inspired D&D game, which should be interesting. The DM is pretty excited about it, and while I don't know the other folks that'd be playing, it should be a lot of fun. He's expecting 4-5 sessions, so we'll see how that goes. Probably going hiking with an internet stranger next weekend. Or maybe this weekend. (it's awful - I made the ****ing plans, I should know when it is, but I really don't ). #plans.

I'm tutoring a guy in a programming class too. He definitely needs the help, but he seems to understand stuff pretty well after I explain it to him (and he can figure out when an idea doesn't make any sense), so he's definitely on the right track. I think tutoring is sort of an odd kind of job. If you do your job right, then whoever you're teaching won't need you anymore. I definitely appreciate the extra income, though. (Also, it's nice to look at other people's code, and I like taking on sort of abstract problems like "how do I get this guy to understand the concepts he needs to write this class or whatever, not just doing it myself (although, if someone offered to pay me to do their homework for them, I'd probably say yes - but that's getting back into liking solving those sorts of problems), which is pretty new for me). I'll definitely try to set the same sort of thing up next semester.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2017-09-02 at 10:48 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Eminem is literally a candy rapper.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Amidus Drexel, that's cool you're a programming student and amateur musician too! i'm actually not much of a musician - i took piano lessons when i was young which was enough tutelage to help me write the soundtrack for the game i'm developing, but i don't plan on writing more music after my game is done.

sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - i don't know if i would be able to do everything your doing, two jobs on top of school.

anyway, as far as my GURPS adventure, we started out in a modern setting as Green Berets. then after they tracked the baddies to a cave, a sorceress or witch transported my three heroes to D&D-land, guns and all. it was just something i came up with on the fly. playing a modern game to start out was cool though.
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Amidus, what languages do you do?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goodkill View Post
    Amidus Drexel, that's cool you're a programming student and amateur musician too! i'm actually not much of a musician - i took piano lessons when i was young which was enough tutelage to help me write the soundtrack for the game i'm developing, but i don't plan on writing more music after my game is done.

sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - i don't know if i would be able to do everything your doing, two jobs on top of school.

anyway, as far as my GURPS adventure, we started out in a modern setting as Green Berets. then after they tracked the baddies to a cave, a sorceress or witch transported my three heroes to D&D-land, guns and all. it was just something i came up with on the fly. playing a modern game to start out was cool though.
    I mean, I've actually been paid to play music before, but amateur is probably still accurate. I do miss having a band. I wish I'd had piano lessons when I was younger; it's one of a handful of instruments I can't play well that I really want to (other instruments include violin and flute). I did a few years of mallet percussion in high school, so I'm familiar with the keys, but playing piano properly with both hands is a challenge for me. I just need more practice (and probably some easier songs to learn on). Also, a piano to practice on.

I'm a busy guy, and hey, sometimes I even find time for it all! Sometimes I put stuff off when I can't spare the time. It can be a balancing act at times (and I won't say I'm very good at it). I do love my job, though - the people I work with are just amazing, and that more than makes up for the environment being less than perfect and all the oil/grease that comes with food prep being awful for my complexion. (RIP Amidus' skin).

Cool! I'd really like to run a game in a modern or future setting - don't get me wrong, I love traditional fantasy settings, but the more technology available, the more of my real-world and theoretical knowledge I can apply in coming up with ideas for stuff in-game.

Amidus, what languages do you do?
    English, mostly. I always like to say I can swear in a half-dozen others (and I can read French fairly well, but I wouldn't say I speak it anymore). I can order a beer (impolitely) in German, and a cousin of mine studying Russian has recently taught me a few words. That's about it, though.

(but answering the actual question now) In rough order of proficiency, C, PowerPC assembly, C++11/14, MIPS assembly, x86/64 assembly, Verilog, Bash scripting, MATLAB, Java, Python, HTML, Brain**** (no, seriously), and Javascript. I've definitely touched a handful of other things, but not enough to actually write or play with code in (or we could add a bunch of other architectures to the list for assembly languages; Atmel, 6502, and 68k for sure).

You do a bit of programming, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2017-09-03 at 12:00 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

I used to play a lot of GURPS back when I was in high school and college, but haven't had a regular gaming group since. Now that I have a house and a steady job, I'm debating the merits of trying to start up a regular GURPS game again. In my experience, it's a harder system to sell existing gamers on than a D&D variant (I used to mostly recruit total newbies in college and teach them the system as we played, which worked really well) and so I'm not sure that my current group of gaming acquaintances will go for it.

I tended to run fairly freeform sessions back when I ran GURPS, really. Mostly, it's a good system for getting people to make interesting, detailed characters but I found a lot of the in-play "advanced" rules for more tactical play would overwhelm any sense of pacing. We were always pretty combat-light, though, which helped.

I'm torn between trying to get a new GURPS campaign together versus running an old school D&D open table dungeoncrawl/hexcrawl game, which I think would be both less upkeep for me between sessions and easier to attract players for. The initial learning curve would be a lot higher, though, since I've never actually run D&D myself, and I'd have to learn both that and some good habits for open table/non-plot-heavy game running (other people tended to be willing to run D&D, so it was a system I tended to play in, whereas I was one of the main people willing to run GURPS at my college so I was generally the GM and ran multi-year story arcs rather than casual drop-in sessions). I have a good idea for what I want to do setting-wise the next time I run a long-term campaign (it has just enough plot-structure to give the PCs something obvious to do when they don't have ideas of their own, but works well as something they can wander off from for a while as well when they see something shiny, so I'm hesitant to call it a "plot"), but I'm just not sure I know enough people who can commit to regular sessions to really get that going consistently right now.

Also, it's been entirely too hot here, and that makes moving into a new house exhausting. (This is on track to be the warmest Labor Day Weekend on record here, and the new house does not have air conditioning.)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    (but answering the actual question now) In rough order of proficiency, C, PowerPC assembly, C++11/14, MIPS assembly, x86/64 assembly, Verilog, Bash scripting, MATLAB, Java, Python, HTML, Brain**** (no, seriously), and Javascript. I've definitely touched a handful of other things, but not enough to actually write or play with code in (or we could add a bunch of other architectures to the list for assembly languages; Atmel, 6502, and 68k for sure).
    A deliberately difficult esoteric language appearing above Javascript is hilarious.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Discoveries:

My favorite thing is Fort Recursion. Hello I am [NATION] and I have named this giant stone building [GIANT STONE BUILDING] which means giant stone building in my language.

Hello I am [ANOTHER NATION]. We have conquered you and want to rename your thing. We shall name it [GIANT STONE BUILDING] but in our language, but not remove your name. Go on into infinity.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Our cat doesn't require us to refill his already-full bowl, nor even shake it, but he does meow at us until we watch him start eating. This is the same cat that, several few years ago, would just lay there calmly while the dog dragged him along the ground by the head (the dog has since dropped this habit.)

He's a weird cat.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #202

BlackDragon

Discoveries:

In the UK, we have several River Ouse--"Ouse" being a Celtic word for a slow-moving river. Then we have the River Avon, "Avon" being another Celtic word for a river. Oh, and let's not forget the village of Torpenhow, which means approximately "hill hill hill"...

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I used to play a lot of GURPS back when I was in high school and college, but haven't had a regular gaming group since. Now that I have a house and a steady job, I'm debating the merits of trying to start up a regular GURPS game again. In my experience, it's a harder system to sell existing gamers on than a D&D variant (I used to mostly recruit total newbies in college and teach them the system as we played, which worked really well) and so I'm not sure that my current group of gaming acquaintances will go for it.

I'm torn between trying to get a new GURPS campaign together versus running an old school D&D open table dungeoncrawl/hexcrawl game, which I think would be both less upkeep for me between sessions and easier to attract players for. The initial learning curve would be a lot higher, though, since I've never actually run D&D myself, and I'd have to learn both that and some good habits for open table/non-plot-heavy game running (other people tended to be willing to run D&D, so it was a system I tended to play in, whereas I was one of the main people willing to run GURPS at my college so I was generally the GM and ran multi-year story arcs rather than casual drop-in sessions). I have a good idea for what I want to do setting-wise the next time I run a long-term campaign (it has just enough plot-structure to give the PCs something obvious to do when they don't have ideas of their own, but works well as something they can wander off from for a while as well when they see something shiny, so I'm hesitant to call it a "plot"), but I'm just not sure I know enough people who can commit to regular sessions to really get that going consistently right now.

Also, it's been entirely too hot here, and that makes moving into a new house exhausting. (This is on track to be the warmest Labor Day Weekend on record here, and the new house does not have air conditioning.)
    It's hard to get people to play anything that isn't D&D, in my experience. I occasionally hear about a CoC game every once in a while, but that's about it, really.

There's a lot of different ways to run dungeon-crawls, though I wouldn't say the same for hexcrawls. That sort of thing can be a lot of fun if your players like exploring and mapping, but it does usually require you do some work up-front, be that drawing the maps completely or coming up with random tables to roll on for things on the maps.

Ah, we've got the opposite problem. It's been cold (well, compared to the 90-100 degree weather I've been dealing with this summer) and rainy. Hope y'all can get AC arranged soon - that's important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    A deliberately difficult esoteric language appearing above Javascript is hilarious.
    They're both about equally incomprehensible if you don't comment your code.

I've probably done more useful things in Javascript, but I definitely spent more time with my brain**** code and definitely enjoyed writing it more. Even simple things like conditionals require extra thought, so it's a great mental exercise.

Next on the list for esoteric languages is probably gonna be INTERCAL or Befunge, whenever I get the free time to sit down and really play with them.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #204

It's hard to get people to play anything that isn't D&D, in my experience. I occasionally hear about a CoC game every once in a while, but that's about it, really.

There's a lot of different ways to run dungeon-crawls, though I wouldn't say the same for hexcrawls. That sort of thing can be a lot of fun if your players like exploring and mapping, but it does usually require you do some work up-front, be that drawing the maps completely or coming up with random tables to roll on for things on the maps.
    I haven't prepped anything with full maps in a long time, which is one of the reasons I'm a little hesitant to leap into a full-on hexcrawl. I'm pretty confident in my ability to design and populate a map (I certainly did enough of that when I was a teenager and designed a bunch of overly-elaborate details for my GURPS settings), but keeping track of the changing details as the adventurers discover and poke at things feels like it would devolve into a poorly organized binder full of things I needed to rummage through. We'll see.

Ah, we've got the opposite problem. It's been cold (well, compared to the 90-100 degree weather I've been dealing with this summer) and rainy. Hope y'all can get AC arranged soon - that's important stuff.
    I live in a place (western Oregon) where, historically, houses don't all have AC and most apartments also don't have AC. Some schools may dismiss early next week because many of them don't have AC and it's supposed to be in the upper 90s. (We've rescheduled at least one start-of-school event because out gym doesn't have AC, but our main classroom area does so we can at least start with the regular school stuff on time.)

I wasn't planning to get central AC for my new place (at least not for 5-ish more years until my budget is less tight), but I closed on the house at the beginning of August, and this August has turned out to have a relentless series of 90+ days. We usually get one hot week and then more reasonable weather, so I've basically been stalling on actually moving my stuff in for a month. I'm now re-thinking that timeline, but we'll see if I can find room since I have some other repairs that I really need to do this year.

I have a portable AC unit that I've borrowed, and as soon as I find something to block off the rest of the window hole while it's in use I can wheel it around room by room so I can at least finish deep-cleaning the place.

They're both about equally incomprehensible if you don't comment your code.

I've probably done more useful things in Javascript, but I definitely spent more time with my brain**** code and definitely enjoyed writing it more. Even simple things like conditionals require extra thought, so it's a great mental exercise.

Next on the list for esoteric languages is probably gonna be INTERCAL or Befunge, whenever I get the free time to sit down and really play with them.
    This is, apparently, the year I finally get around to learning Javascript. I tend to think in C when I attack a programming project, which is a lovely language for certain things but not exactly what one uses to add usability tweaks to webpages. Our current LMS at work seems to be best beaten into submission with custom Javascript, and I'm the one with the most programming experience so I suppose I'm the one who is going to end up coding the tweaks and features we need.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

While Brain**** was deliberately made to be difficult, it only achieves difficulty by being extremely low level. I personally don't think it manages to live up to its own name, it doesn't mess with your head as much as simply force you to keep many balls in the air at once.

Malbolge, on the other hand. That's a language which seriously does mess with your head. Given, it's pretty much impossible to program in too, but that just means they've done their job right.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In the UK, we have several River Ouse--"Ouse" being a Celtic word for a slow-moving river. Then we have the River Avon, "Avon" being another Celtic word for a river. Oh, and let's not forget the village of Torpenhow, which means approximately "hill hill hill"...
    There's an extensive list of these on wikipedia.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    While Brain**** was deliberately made to be difficult, it only achieves difficulty by being extremely low level. I personally don't think it manages to live up to its own name, it doesn't mess with your head as much as simply force you to keep many balls in the air at once.

Malbolge, on the other hand. That's a language which seriously does mess with your head. Given, it's pretty much impossible to program in too, but that just means they've done their job right.
    There's a line between deliberately difficult and nigh impossible, and Malbolge crossed it a long time ago. That it is somehow turing complete at all is just bizarre.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, seems like Hill Hill Hill is the most popular double repetition. Although I like the Norwegian Nesoddtangen ("Cape Cape Cape") on virtue that not only is it in a language close to home, but all its constituents are still used in modern speech, so I can actually see the nuances between the different parts motivating their existence. Or rather, the first two ("nes" and "odd"). The third part ("tangen") could carry a meaning on its own, but in context it's just a tautology.

There's a line between deliberately difficult and nigh impossible, and Malbolge crossed it a long time ago. That it is somehow turing complete at all is just bizarre.
    Indeed. If you want something which seriously messes with your head, that's the bar to aim for.

That said, I'd say many of the Turing Tarpit languages are pretty hard to grok as well, since they tend to do many things in a single operation and performing tasks generally requires figuring out how to neutralise the unwanted side effects.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard to get people to play anything that isn't D&D, in my experience....

When I started as a gamer in the late 1970's, it was as a DM of D&D (or course), when I found another DM (a classmates older brother), it seemed that he switched from Dungeons & Dragons to Villians & Vigilantes (followed by a host of other games) way too soon for my tastes (but he and the teenagers at the table had already played D&D for longer than me).

By the late 1980's, it was very hard for me to find any tables that still played D&D at all, I left the hobby in '92 because I simply couldn't find any tables for games that I liked (all the tables I could find played modern or near future and usually "dark" settings, I could open my door for that!).

...I occasionally hear about a CoC game every once in a while, but that's about it, really...

I found Call of Cthullu to be the easiest or tied with "Basic" D&D as the easiest, rules and setting to Gamemaster or "Keeper".

...Ah, we've got the opposite problem. It's been cold (well, compared to the 90-100 degree weather I've been dealing with this summer) and rainy....

I hope our normal cool rainy season starts soon (like in years past), but after days in a row of record breaking heat, I don't know what to expect anymore, the weather just gets less predictable every year.

...Hope y'all can get AC arranged soon - that's important stuff....

I live less than two miles from the San Francisco Bay, and most homes here were built 80 to 110 years ago, and never had AC, the Fog making it unneeded anyway. I fear that's no longer true.

I really don't adapt to change well!

At least it doesn't flood like other areas.

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #210

Well, we were only in the low 90s here today, which is cooler than initially forecast.

Of course, that's because of all of the smoke and ash from the wildfires creating haze and keeping the temperatures down.

(I saw ash swirling in the headlights like snow on my drive home tonight, and it's visible on parked cars.)

Quite the summer we're having.