New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Shadow's Surprisingly Well-Lit Random Banter #217

So, I noticed when coming home from work that, hanging bright in the cloudless sky was the moon, full as can be. Except it's red. That's both fascinating, and a little creepy all the same...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    So, I noticed when coming home from work that, hanging bright in the cloudless sky was the moon, full as can be. Except it's red. That's both fascinating, and a little creepy all the same...

I saw that as well. Smoke? (The news said people are reporting smoke in town, but it's from fires that are hundreds of miles away).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Moon can also look red during a lunar eclipse (e.g. when the Earth's shadow blocks sunlight from reaching it), but I don't know if one of those is due in your area, Darlk Shadow.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I saw that as well. Smoke? (The news said people are reporting smoke in town, but it's from fires that are hundreds of miles away).
    Yeah, there are some pretty bad forest fires burning throughout BC. Looking outside right now, the sky is definitely a reddish tinge. Not as bad as a few years back, but that one's was close by.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The Moon can also look red during a lunar eclipse (e.g. when the Earth's shadow blocks sunlight from reaching it), but I don't know if one of those is due in your area, Darlk Shadow.
    Nah, no lunar eclipse for another year or two. Can't remember which. Or, so said the site I was looking at when checking out the timing for the solar eclipse. Almost certainly the fires.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

This was a strange night.

I woke up at around midnight, horrified. No dreams (none that I remember - and I usually remember the horror dreams) - just flat out bad feeling of something horrible happening.

Fifty kilometers from me, my wife woke up at around 1 AM, filled with dread - she had a bad dream about our daughter.

Our daughter was also crying from sleep.

And this morning, my colleague told me she also woke up, at 2 AM. Same symptoms as me.

I think I should stop thinking about launching De Profundis campaign before I go to bed.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    This was a strange night.

I woke up at around midnight, horrified. No dreams (none that I remember - and I usually remember the horror dreams) - just flat out bad feeling of something horrible happening.

Fifty kilometers from me, my wife woke up at around 1 AM, filled with dread - she had a bad dream about our daughter.

Our daughter was also crying from sleep.

And this morning, my colleague told me she also woke up, at 2 AM. Same symptoms as me.

I think I should stop thinking about launching De Profundis campaign before I go to bed.
    What...is your time zone? I woke up with similar feelings last night...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What...is your time zone? I woke up with similar feelings last night...
    CEST... UTC+2.

Had to google it
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    CEST... UTC+2.

Had to google it
    Okay wasn't the same timing as mine, but still strange.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

I only had a dream where I was aggressively opposing my university's new text base. It uses Arial. I had pretty much written a manifesto about why this was a bad move.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

No dreams here. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good thing, considering my last dream involved me getting killed by a cougar in my own house. Thankfully it was a dreamstate of mild resignation instead of terror, but... still. I'm fine with not going through that again.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

No nightmares nor dread for me last night, nor in day. I did dream a few nights ago about a bear following me. It ended up licking my hand, but some unidentifiable friend of mine (I actually remember her appearance, she just didn't look like anyone I can recall, but my dream classified her as a known friend) tried to shoot the bear, missed catastrophically, and hit a known friend of mine right in the shoulder. I remember the look of the exit wound, and how she reacted with a "I'm dying really fast here" in a sort shell-shocked objective tone (and a fashion very like her) while her boyfriend and I tried fruitlessly to stop the bleeding with our hands. The fact that I didn't wake up horrified is almost horrifying in and on itself (except the brain works in mysterious ways, so meh).
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm doing a lot of important paperwork and I'm getting help with so many people.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    *dream snip*
    The funny thing is, that's really similar in experience, if not details, to what I experienced with mine. Like, it took place partially in an area that was basically unrecognizable, but dream-me knew it as the backyard to the house I grew up in. And while dying, I remember feeling myself fading, and just thinking "Well, dang. I guess I'm going to die here, and nobody's going to rescue me. Oh well." (And then I woke up.)

Small dream-world.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Random thought: It's weird (at least in the U.S.) the sort of moral system we've developed around sleeping late. Not oversleeping, mind - that I could see. But the absolute number of when you get up. Like, when I worked late, I was going to bed at 2am and getting up at 10am, and that seemed to a lot of people to be "lazy" and if I overslept by even 30min it was "why are you sleeping in so late?" Contrast with working a morning shift where I went to bed at 9pm and got up at 5am. I found that actually less convenient, but it tended to be seen as somehow morally better.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Random thought: It's weird (at least in the U.S.) the sort of moral system we've developed around sleeping late. Not oversleeping, mind - that I could see. But the absolute number....
    It's because of Gerontocracy.

Pay no mind to those forgetful ones.

Incidentally:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/0...ore-sleep.html
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Random thought: It's weird (at least in the U.S.) the sort of moral system we've developed around sleeping late. Not oversleeping, mind - that I could see. But the absolute number of when you get up. Like, when I worked late, I was going to bed at 2am and getting up at 10am, and that seemed to a lot of people to be "lazy" and if I overslept by even 30min it was "why are you sleeping in so late?" Contrast with working a morning shift where I went to bed at 9pm and got up at 5am. I found that actually less convenient, but it tended to be seen as somehow morally better.
    Likely a combination of typical working hours and the fact that if you get up later than others, that's more obvious than if you go to bed later.

If you're asleep and someone else isn't, and they want to interact with you, they notice.

If you're awake and someone else is asleep, they won't be trying to interact with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

That gets a lot less when you work with people who are more familiar with night shift. At least in my experience.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

18. - Top - End - #228

Because humanity as a whole, it seems, encourages self destructive habits for the profit of the people above you.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    That gets a lot less when you work with people who are more familiar with night shift. At least in my experience.
    Honestly 2nd shift seems to be more affected than actual night shift. Night shift people are more familiar with the idea that you'll not be available during the day. It's the shifts where you're getting off around midnight that really seem to throw people.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Some people need a thicker skin. I posted on Facebook last night because I express my opinion on a TV show I dislike and one of my Facebook friend got upset at me because ofbhe happen to be a fan of that show and also about what I said about it. I told him that I've a right to voice my opinion on a TV show that I dislike whatever you agree with me or not. And I still stand by my opinion.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-09-08 at 09:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Some people need a thicker skin. I posted on Facebook last night because I express my opinion on a TV show I dislike and one of my Facebook friend got upset at me because ofbhe happen to be a fan of that show and also about what I said about it. I told him that I've a right to voice my opinion on a TV show that I dislike whatever you agree with me or not. And I still stand by my opinion.
    While I don't disagree I also feel it's worth pointing out that there's a difference between "I don't like this show" and "this show is stupid and everyone who likes it is stupid".

Not saying you did the latter, just saying it might of come off as that.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    While I don't disagree I also feel it's worth pointing out that there's a difference between "I don't like this show" and "this show is stupid and everyone who likes it is stupid".

Not saying you did the latter, just saying it might of come off as that.
    I didn't bash about the fans. I'm just bashing the TV show. The TV show that I'm talking about is Judge Judy. I don't like her TV show because she insults everybody on TV. I don't find her amusing at all and I just wish that her show should be cancelled long ago. She's very abusive.

Update: My friend block me on Facebook because of my opinion on Judge Judy. He's such a baby.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-09-08 at 11:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I didn't bash about the fans. I'm just bashing the TV show. The TV show that I'm talking about is Judge Judy. I don't like her TV show because she insults everybody on TV. I don't find her amusing at all and I just wish that her show should be cancelled long ago. She's very abusive.

Update: My friend block me on Facebook because of my opinion on Judge Judy. He's such a baby.
    Yeah, that's a little rude of them.

Meanwhile, I'm a dumb person who did a dumb thing. Look at my Magic the Gathering story recap blog.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Bumblebee larvae can't sting, and generally aren't considered cute, which makes that song even more ****ed up.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Bumblebee larvae can't sting, and generally aren't considered cute, which makes that song even more ****ed up.
    I was under the impression that given it's a baby bumblebee, that means it's still a bumblebee. A bee larva isn't a proper bee until it becomes a bee.

What I want to know is why everyone assumes she'll die just because she swallowed a fly. It's not like those are big, right?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

What I want to know is why everyone assumes she'll die just because she swallowed a fly. It's not like those are big, right?
    Swallowed - past tense - implies that you successfully completed the action, and thus didn't choke on it. So, it'd only be a problem if the fly was somehow toxic. Or she was allergic to flies.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Swallowed - past tense - implies that you successfully completed the action, and thus didn't choke on it. So, it'd only be a problem if the fly was somehow toxic. Or she was allergic to flies.
    I think it must be a hysteria situation. She accidently swallows a fly and her immediate reaction is to shove a frog down her throat.

Of course it's entirely possible to read the line "I don't know why, I guess she'll die" as "I don't know why I guess she'll die" which changes the meaning a non insignifigent amount?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it must be a hysteria situation. She accidently swallows a fly and her immediate reaction is to shove a frog down her throat.
    Spider. The frog comes after that.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Barbarian in the Playground

*wanders in*

https://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/c...laming_cheese/

Tales from the gaming table. I couldn't not record it, because it was the most fun one of my groups has had in a long time, despite knowing the risks.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I only had a dream where I was aggressively opposing my university's new text base. It uses Arial. I had pretty much written a manifesto about why this was a bad move.
    I would be on board with that. I hate Arial. Or more specifically, I hate Arial being used for any purpose other than the one it was designed for, which is very small print in Proper Case. On signs and in all caps, it is so much worse than Helvetica in every way. It looks like someone just learned how to use Microsoft Word 97. That stupid R. Look at it. Look at it with its stupid dangly leg. Gaaah.
    There are bad times just around the corner,
    There are dark clouds hurtling through the sky, tiddley-pom!