The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Why do people take forever to accelerate to the speed limit after a red light?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewm View Post
    Sometimes people are in a hurry. For example I often drive with Doordash and other food delivery serives, and I need to make it on time, otherwise my account will suffer, and sometimes the restaurant takes longer than expected. Sometimes I tailgate, but when you're in a hurry, it's hard not to. I get it, it's an ******* move, but you'll piss the person off even more when you pull that kind of ****. But then again I'm admittedly an aggressive and fast driver, so I have a bit a bias.
    Generally speaking the solution to "needing" to speed because you're late is to manage your time better and plan your route properly rather than endanger everyone around you.

Go with the flow of traffic by all means, but if you're going significantly faster than all the other cars around you and weaving in and out of traffic (an especial peeve of mine) to eke out what is going to be, at best, a minute or two of extra time in most cases, you should rethink your approach to driving.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why do people take forever to accelerate to the speed limit after a red light?

I feel that really the problem is even deeper than that and ultimately rests on modern society's relentless and unreasonable demands for everyone to always be on time for everything with clockwork precision.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

This thread stopped at a red light in 2017. It took someone 2 years to accelerate it back to life.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

And also when you are driving at a speed of 50km/h and need to slow down to zero, and wait with running engine a minute or so, then accelerate, this process probably consumes much more fuel than speeding up a bit in order to avoid the red light. ;) This might also be an explanation, especially in societies where fuel prices are crazy high compared to the salaries most people earn.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Necromanced threads get a permanent red light.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show