New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Vampiric victims

In three recent strips (1084, 1085, and 1087), we see parts of several bodies of the vampires' victims along the bottom of the panels. I count four of them; one we only see the feet plus hammer, the others we see most of their head plus sometimes other parts of the body. That's not counting the high priest who they were draining when we first saw Durkula in this arc.

So why do we only see part of these bodies? Is it a stylistic thing, or are there important details being hidden in order to have a Big Reveal?

My guess is Big Reveal. But I'm not sure what that Reveal will be. The only thing that comes to mind is that they killed more than just the 5. Either a whole heap of bodies (most likely in my opinion) or possibly someone who Durkon was close to, one of his uncles maybe.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2017-08-01 at 07:18 PM.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Vampiric victims

I assume its because the bodies aren't the focus in any of the scenes and aren't that important overall?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I assume its because the bodies aren't the focus in any of the scenes and aren't that important overall?
    That would be my guess; it seems the most obvious answer. You can't really fake death in the OOTS world; they know to look for Xs in your eyes. I'm not sure what possible reveal there could be of the bodies, or what would make such a reveal important. (The reveals OP described don't seem to add anything to the story: The stakes don't become higher if Durkon's uncle, for example, is one of the recently deceased.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

We only see the faces of six corpses hanging from the ceiling here, but there are clearly many, many more. I can't wait for the Big Reveal!
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I suspect the Giant draws a lot more than what we see in the final cut of the comic. Probably the panel borders sometimes just cut off that stuff when it's not important.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sprütche View Post
    I suspect the Giant draws a lot more than what we see in the final cut of the comic. Probably the panel borders sometimes just cut off that stuff when it's not important.
    Why would he do that?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Why would he do that?
    sometimes it's eaiser to draw a full person in a realistic pose, then cut half of them out leaving you with just flaield arms and legs that look right, then it is to just draw flaied arms and legs that are scattered about in unnatural ways. helps prevent you from having three left arms immidiately next to eachother for example.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    sometimes it's eaiser to draw a full person in a realistic pose, then cut half of them out leaving you with just flaield arms and legs that look right, then it is to just draw flaied arms and legs that are scattered about in unnatural ways. helps prevent you from having three left arms immidiately next to eachother for example.
    Point made. My brain intuited that that sounds like it'd be a lot of extra effort for not much benefit but, well, i'm no artist, so thanks for explaining.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    We only see the faces of six corpses hanging from the ceiling here, but there are clearly many, many more. I can't wait for the Big Reveal!
    I wonder if the many shadows depend on the many candles. It's a detail I never noticed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Also, many characters aren't drawn each time they appear. Some are just copy-pasted, you can see this very well with Hinjo on the walls of Azure City. Other times it's just the body+head which is copy-pasted. So it can be that we don't see everything, simply because it was easier to start pasting more stuff than needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I wonder if the many shadows depend on the many candles. It's a detail I never noticed before.
    Fairly sure they're just indistinct body shapes to imply more bodies without the background detail cluttering the panel; more severe examples of it happened later.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Fairly sure they're just indistinct body shapes to imply more bodies without the background detail cluttering the panel; more severe examples of it happened later.
    This is correct. I can only think of one shadow that's appeared in in the entire OotS strip and that was a special case (the time with the Shadow Dancer). There were shadows in the Julio Scoundrel strip in SS&DT and that was called out in the "Pirate Mailbag" section.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Why would he do that?
    What Draconi Redfir said. Plus, an artist's opinion can change while drawing. Perhaps a panel works out different than he imagined.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    This is correct. I can only think of one shadow that's appeared in in the entire OotS strip and that was a special case (the time with the Shadow Dancer). There were shadows in the Julio Scoundrel strip in SS&DT and that was called out in the "Pirate Mailbag" section.
    There's also the Mechane's shadow, which saved the vampire and created a dramatic entrance for Julio.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    There's also the Mechane's shadow, which saved the vampire and created a dramatic entrance for Julio.
    New theory: That shadow isn't just an anomaly. It's one of the Dashing Swordsman's abilities, intended to make their entrances more dramatic. Same as their immunity to broken glass damage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    You can't really fake death in the OOTS world; they know to look for Xs in your eyes.
    All you need is eyeliner :)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0538.html

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    My guess is Big Reveal. But I'm not sure what that Reveal will be. The only thing that comes to mind is that they killed more than just the 5. Either a whole heap of bodies (most likely in my opinion)
    Hah! Vindicated!

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Hope the wait wasn't too long.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2017-10-04 at 02:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

The close focus on the vampires in those panels did hide something about the bodies in the background. Not that they were vamped, but that there were so many of them.

You do not get today's cookies. You get yesterday's cookies.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    The close focus on the vampires in those panels did hide something about the bodies in the background. Not that they were vamped, but that there were so many of them.

You do not get today's cookies. You get yesterday's cookies.
    Awwwwww